Chance Westry Transferring to Syracuse | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Chance Westry Transferring to Syracuse

The only shooter we lost is Joe, which is admittedly a big loss. But right now we still have Bell and Taylor. And I thought Starling is a good shooter. He certainly was in high school.
From two years ago - Cole, Buddy and Joe. From last year only Joe is true, but he was a more proven shooter than the 3 guys mentioned. Hopefully all 3 can shoot consistently against primary defenders, and make up for shooting loss by defending better - also TBD.

I was down on the team after losing Jesse, but adding Westry is a great comeback. Yes, they play different positions but it's very hopeful to see that after Starling, we can still go out and get another top player. Win some lose some is better than all losses - we are back and in the mix. All we need is a quality center and we are in good shape (and even better shape if Judah returns).

5F32635B-E07E-4343-920B-2DDBFB0FA398.jpeg

Just got off a work call with some folks from our Atlanta office today. We have a new VP who is a huge Auburn fan both football and hoops. We got to talking as the call was winding down and mentioned I'm a cuse grad. That extended the call about 30 mins. He has connections to the team and gets in to see practices from time to time etc. We got immediately onto the topic of Westry after he went through his comments about '03...

Said that the pre season/pre injury Chance looked like a sure fire starter and all SEC frosh. Raved about his defense but also about having a high bball IQ and great vision. Very bummed to see him in the portal after getting a glimpse of what he can be healthy.

Just got off a work call with some folks from our Atlanta office today. We have a new VP who is a huge Auburn fan both football and hoops. We got to talking as the call was winding down and mentioned I'm a cuse grad. That extended the call about 30 mins. He has connections to the team and gets in to see practices from time to time etc. We got immediately onto the topic of Westry after he went through his comments about '03...

Said that the pre season/pre injury Chance looked like a sure fire starter and all SEC frosh. Raved about his defense but also about having a high bball IQ and great vision. Very bummed to see him in the portal after getting a glimpse of what he can be healthy.
Excellent. Any time we get a chance to disappoint someone from Auburn that's a good thing.

Here are some articles back from Chance on their Israel trip and another more recent on his recovery from injury

The espn article said the same thing. He played really good in Israel and started getting one and done talk

The espn article said the same thing. He played really good in Israel and started getting one and done talk

Yeah finally read that one just now along with those others I shared. All good stuff.

If we play with three guards most of the time, that's 120 minutes split among 5 guys. There are minutes for all five of them, especially if we press and run and gun. They'll be happy to go in and out.
I think Benny gets some minutes at the SF too though. But i still think the minutes can work out with all of the guards we got now. I see the 160 minutes at PG through PF roles distributed like below. We will play more up-tempo fast paced so guys will get a bit more tired playing tight M2M defense. We won’t be as worried about having our key big at Center fouling out. Benny plays mostly PF with this line up as we will have more athleticism, defense and rebounding out of other positions and we can really use his shooting at the 4 spot to spread the floor. Hopefully with M2M defense its easier for our guys to remember to box out. The staff better be constantly reminding them how to box out as nobody on the roster does it currently. Not sure what happens at the Center spot yet.

Mintz 31 (All at PG)

Quadir 11 (Pretty much all at PG)

JJ Starling 22 (All at SG)

Westry 18 (Combined at SG and SF)

Taylor 15 (Combined at SG and SF)

Bell 16 (At SF)

Benny 25 (6 minutes as a SF 19 at PF)

Maliq 21 (All at PF)

Last edited:
I think Benny gets some minutes at the SF too though. But i still think the minutes can work out with all of the guards we got now. I see the 160 minutes at PG through PF roles distributed like below. We will play more up-tempo fast paced so guys will get a bit more tired playing tight M2M defense. We won’t be as worried about having our key big at Center fouling out. Benny plays mostly PF with this line up as we will have more athleticism, defense and rebounding out of other positions and we can really use his shooting at the 4 spot to spread the floor. Hopefully with M2M defense its easier for our guys to remember to box out. Hopefully they are constantly teaching them how to do this now as nobody on the roster does it currently. Not sure what happens at the Center spot yet.

Mintz 31 (All at PG)

Bell 16 (At SF)

Maliq 21 (All at PF)

One thing I'm convinced is most likely: the old type of rotations / substitution patterns won't be similar to what I expect to see moving forward.

I think we're going to play more guys beyond the 7+ we've grown accustomed to.

It will also be interesting to see what type of lineup Red will utilize. There have been years where we've only utilized a three guard rotation. If we START three guards, then there is going to be a lot of available PT for 5 or even more guards to contribute.

Thinking about JJ, Judah, and Westry all on the court together makes my head spin. Seriously, the frenzy and chaos they should put on the defense should be fun to watch, provided these guys can make a decent percentage from outside to keep 'em honest and Benny/Bell do their thing from deep. Great thing is that Judah started to show that ability towards the end of the season.

I think Benny gets some minutes at the SF too though. But i still think the minutes can work out with all of the guards we got now. I see the 160 minutes at PG through PF roles distributed like below. We will play more up-tempo fast paced so guys will get a bit more tired playing tight M2M defense. We won’t be as worried about having our key big at Center fouling out. Benny plays mostly PF with this line up as we will have more athleticism, defense and rebounding out of other positions and we can really use his shooting at the 4 spot to spread the floor. Hopefully with M2M defense its easier for our guys to remember to box out. The staff better be constantly reminding them how to box out as nobody on the roster does it currently. Not sure what happens at the Center spot yet.

Mintz 31 (All at PG)

Bell 16 (At SF)

Maliq 21 (All at PF)
JJ didn't come here to play 22 minutes a game.

Thinking about JJ, Judah, and Westry all on the court together makes my head spin. Seriously, the frenzy and chaos they should put on the defense should be fun to watch, provided these guys can make a decent percentage from outside to keep 'em honest and Benny/Bell do their thing from deep. Great thing is that Judah started to show that ability towards the end of the season.
The interesting thing about those three is that each of them were projected as good 3-point shooters in high school. We're viewing shooting as a weakness, but I have a feeling we won't know what we have from outside until they start playing games.

The interesting thing about those three is that each of them were projected as good 3-point shooters in high school. We're viewing shooting as a weakness, but I have a feeling we won't know what we have from outside until they start playing games.
That's a great point. And we started to see Judah's shooting ability towards the end of the season. The forward spot might work well for us next year with these three driving and dishing. Now it's about a strong center and then look out.

Edit: and remember, Judah shot 33% from 3pt in conference. He's not far at all from where he needs to be (provided that's at Syracuse!)

Last edited:
JJ didn't come here to play 22 minutes a game.

This.
He averaged just shy of 30 on a craptastic ND team.

I'm hoping that by design that Red keeps the starters at around 30-32 mins / game, so they can give max effort while they're in, but not be run down at the end of games (or the end of the season).

I'd love to see us play like Houston or Baylor does -
almost nobody gets much more than ~30 mins/game, but even the 10th guy on the roster gets 10+.

This.
He averaged just shy of 30 on a craptastic ND team.

I'm hoping that by design that Red keeps the starters at around 30-32 mins / game, so they can give max effort while they're in, but not be run down at the end of games (or the end of the season).

I'd love to see us play like Houston does -
almost nobody gets much more than ~30 mins/game, but even the 10th guy on the roster gets 10+.
That is what I am hoping for, as well. I want to see 28-30 minutes for the starters in an up tempo offense and high intensity defense. There will be shots to go around and the style will showcase our player's skills for the NBA.

Mintz 31 (All at PG)

Bell 16 (At SF)

Maliq 21 (All at PF)
Out of those 8 Taylor brings shooting, but don't think he can play defense in the new system.
Unless he becomes lights out from deep, he is a situational player, and gets limited minutes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom