Clemson Postgame Thoughts | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Clemson Postgame Thoughts

I am possibly a bit more positive on Bell and Copeland. Maybe out of desperation. I feel Copeland is a leader and team player. Bell is little by little showing improvement. At least he appears to be listening and coachable once in a while.
On that last sentence there was an interesting look during one of the TOs in the 2H regarding Mintz and the coaches. Autry had the team around him and Mintz just looked off in the distance, wasn't looking anywhere near Autry. During that same TO Griffin pulled Mintz aside and you could tell he was trying to explain how to defend JG. Mintz wouldn't look at him either and seemed generally disinterested in the advice.

He’s a good kid but not talented enough to play at this level. Definitely not talented enough to start. But we have depth issues so we will continue to see him play significant minutes for the rest of the year.
I think all we need to know about JT is he is from Charlottesville,Va and the college coach in that town didn’t recruit him, even though they are family friends

Not sure, they did the zone out of bounds thing so idk the splits
The zone out of bounds is so predictable it is costing us big time. It works at times but it that is your one trick pony . Clemson scoring on the inbounds dunk was pitiful

On that last sentence there was an interesting look during one of the TOs in the 2H regarding Mintz and the coaches. Autry had the team around him and Mintz just looked off in the distance, wasn't looking anywhere near Autry. During that same TO Griffin pulled Mintz aside and you could tell he was trying to explain how to defend JG. Mintz wouldn't look at him either and seemed generally disinterested in the advice.
Mintz is beyond coachable. He knows everything!!!

“Ok. I never said otherwise. I was responding to a post that said we hadn’t had a good center in a decade“

I didn't say we never had a good center in a decade, my point was that SUs had a to of issues with bad play and injuries at the C spot over that time thats why I noted not having any of the 4 centers available was par for the course. Edward's was excellent but he was the exception.

Is McLeod good? No. But he only needs to play 10-15 minutes a game while Maliq plays 25-30 min at the 5. What portal center is going to transfer here to play 10-15 mins a game?
One who’s good enough to play 30 minutes a game. Brown should not be getting 30+ minutes a game at the 5.

What exactly is Judahs talent? The 7 foot jumper in the lane is the only thing he’s reasonably good at.
It's a shame they have to play five players at a time, I have had enough

Mintz shooting form only slightly less atrocious than Taylor's. Poor GMAC must be sick to his stomach

I didn't say we never had a good center in a decade, my point was that SUs had a to of issues with bad play and injuries at the C spot over that time thats why I noted not having any of the 4 centers available was par for the course. Edward's was excellent but he was the exception.
That’s fair. I thought you were saying in response to “none of them can play” that we haven’t had anyone who can play in the last decade. You can see why I thought that.

zion and banchero avg'd 30 mpg. and they went first overall in the draft.

Mintz is our Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Makes nice plays and then counters with atrocious plays. Tries to steal the ball -- 3 pointer by Girard. Fakes a foul -- 3 pointer by Girard. I agree with others who say Copeland should be handling the ball on offense. The problem now is we have 5 guys and no quality backups, assuming JT is a backup rather than a starter. Cuffe isn't playing. Hima is a disaster. Carey is somewhat better but not a guy I want to see play major minutes. Taylor plays decent defense but he is usually overmatched and is a zero on offense. Remember all our depth at the beginning of the season?

Team will be much better next year without Mintz
“Team will be much better without Joe”
“Team will be much better without Jimmy Jr”
“Team will be much better without Alan Griffin”

It all depends on the replacement. We been swapping average and below average talent with equally average talent

Poor gmac should teach his players how to shoot the ball if he wants me to think he's anything other than a legacy mascot
He worked with JJ and his shot has really improved. Bell's shot needs no improvement, he just has to get open more. Mintz is not great from long range but better than last year. Taylor is one guy who needs help.

And Judah... I dunno, man. Kid has talent. But he's in his own world a lot of the times. He's limited. He lacks awareness. He doesn't have the physical attributes to overcome the shortcomings. This game is the exact evidence of why he isn't showing up on NBA draft boards.

Mintz sticking in the NBA is laughable. Just send him directly to Europe and he'll make some coin there and have a nice international career. Making the big show? No, not gonna happen.

How the hell does JJ go such long stretches doing nothing. I don’t get it. We need him to score. He was just out there in the first half being passive standing there.
Not an excuse cause he was missing wide open shots, but I do wonder what Judah pounding the ball does to his game.

Which leads me to my next point lol. Red, look I like the guy a lot and I'm sure he's a nice guy and all and trying to instill confidence in his players, but he cannot continue to play Taylor... and if he does you have to question his coaching process.
I question your reasoning process...but to each their own.

Mintz is beyond coachable. He knows everything!!!
If we can't shoot we can't win, damn

Bell FG 4-13
Starling 7-14
Mintz 6-18 < NBA/I don't think so
Brown 4- 7
Taylor 0-3 <0!
Copeland 4-9

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member