Clemson Postgame Thoughts | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Clemson Postgame Thoughts

“ Not apply any consequences for not playing defense?” WTH are you talking about?
Red said he was going to bench them if they didn’t show effort, didn’t bench anyone in the first half when they’re were getting blown by every play

Didn’t make enough of an impact defensively during his time here.
Do not agree. Jesse had the distinction of playing on some of the very worst defenses that Syracuse has ever rolled out. But among seasons from centers and center forwards at Syracuse since 2009, Jesse had a season ranked first in total rebounds per game (10.3), 2nd and 3rd in blocks per game (Fab was first by 0.1), No. 1 in TRB%, No. 1 in DRB%, No. 2 in block%, No. 2 and 3 in steal% (behind Maliq), and for good measure, he was No. 1 in points per game and No. 1 and 2 in PER.

He was arguably the best center Syracuse had since Etan (very good argument with senior Rak, but Jesse had better numbers).

You don’t need the type of centers we recruit. Don’t need a 6-11 to 7’4 beanpoles. Nobody else does this. You can fill the position fine with 6-8 to 6-9 dudes who are wider bodied.. they are all over the college landscape and routinely hand us our lunch. Otis hill was 6-7 ish but it felt Like he was 7-2.
Concur. I've been beating this drum since sanctions (sanctions!) when were carrying between 3-4 centers when any two of whom couldn't play for various reasons, and all I heard was that sanctions were killing the ability to put together a decent roster.

You don’t need the type of centers we recruit. Don’t need a 6-11 to 7’4 beanpoles. Nobody else does this. You can fill the position fine with 6-8 to 6-9 dudes who are wider bodied.. they are all over the college landscape and routinely hand us our lunch. Otis hill was 6-7 ish but it felt Like he was 7-2.
Meanwhile Matt Painter gets zero star farm boy after farm boy at Purdue out of Iowa and Indiana who routinely put up double/doubles.

I

I feel it will be more than 3. I feel Red did not want to have the talk with a lot of the current players being just hired. After this season I do not see that as an issue. Mintz, Taylor, Hima, Carey and possibly McLeod I see moving on. With Benny gone that’s 6 open scholarships. Four guys from the portal. 2 aggressive bigs. A true point guard and a small forward.
I think that Hima, and Taylor and MIntz are gone. McCloud will be back if he is healthy and so will Carey.
Including Benny that is four gone. I believe we bring in a forward, big and PG

Not great. And they're hustling for season tickets sales. I'd certainly be curious as to what the gate and revenue trend is for home games over the last decade. I have good seats and my section is probably 75% filled every game at best.
I have a feeling a lot of long time STHs we’re willing to hang on to see the new regime. Now that they’ve witnessed the new product there might be a mass sell off.

That would be relevant if McLeod could rebound and play good defense. Aside from a couple of flashes, nothing we have seen suggests that.
You very well could be right but if he was healthy, I really believe the game would have been ours. We have nothing inside. Obviously, that hurts on D but also on O as he had to be accounted for. Lobs and rebound.

I think that Hima, and Taylor and MIntz are gone. McCloud will be back if he is healthy and so will Carey.
Red needs to show he and the NIL stable can pull in Star portables. Potent potables. Can’t swing and miss this time or he’s on borrowed time.

i think flopsy may be playing himself out of the draft lately. really poor judgement.
joeg3 on the other hand stepped in and stepped up. i think the boos fired him up.
The upside is that Flopsy will most likely get to learn a foreign language.

Best case scenario we can replace at least 4 of the departures with some centers?

Target some 6'11" to 7'1" types, hopefully skinny with some injury history, definitely want limited offensive skills, but we can offset that hopefully with their knack for not catching the ball. We really load up and just roll the dice on that - and then profit.

Right before Mintz's game got really ugly, there was a possession where he drove towards the left elbow and was clearly about to run out of space. Q was wide open on the left arc. Whether you want Q taking an open 3 or not, it was blatantly obvious where the ball needed to go. It did not go there. Not even sure Mintz looked.

From then on Mintz was basically a black hole on offense. If he touched the ball, everyone knew there was like a 95% chance he was going to try to create for himself and it would either work or it wouldn't... and that's how it played out.

It's like he has it in his head that the one thing holding him back from his NBA dreams is putting the team on his shoulders down the stretch. The reality is it's the opposite. Making his teammates better is what he should be doing to make himself a better NBA prospect.

When you've got three opponents within arm's reach of you, you have a teammate (or two!) wide open. Find them. Period.
i think mintz knows he untouchable

whats red going to do?

dismiss him from the team? lol

PS didnt watch the game

sounds like a wise decision

Good comeback, bad execution at the end by Judah.

But we also aren't going to win any games being outrebounded 39-22. Obviously the team is lacking depth at this point but man we have been getting killed on the boards all season.
Seems to me the our guys are more interested in running to the other basket instead of rebounding the ball.

Too bad Joe III left. We could have used his 3's and 18 PTS today.
FlyRodder, What didn't you like about this post? The fact that Joe made 18, that we could have used his points, that he left?

Haven't read all the posts but I'm not gonna criticize the coach, or the program on a macro level.

We were undermanned, the 1st half effort after the 4 or 5 minute mark was disappointing. The 2nd half effort was nice to see. I hope the players learn the level of effort that is needed to win. I thought Bell made a couple of plays on defense which was good to see. I'm looking for small incremental signs of hope because the team is out manned right now. I hope Red can keep them together after giving the effort to tie it up and then run out of gas at the end.

Wins will be few and hard to find to close out the year but I want to see how hard do they play, defend, the little things, etc.

Best case scenario we can replace at least 4 of the departures with some centers?

Target some 6'11" to 7'1" types, hopefully skinny with some injury history, definitely want limited offensive skills, but we can offset that hopefully with their knack for not catching the ball. We really load up and just roll the dice on that - and then profit.
It’s really crazy to think a decade and a half ago we were known for having the biggest bigs. Complete 180 since then.

Reasonable, but we desperately need shooting. Moore will help but we have too many guards that can’t shoot. Not sure what’s going on with Cuffe but I wouldn’t be surprised if he transfers again. Need to replace his spot with a shooter.

Our repetitive defensive lapses and poor rebounding are a really a big part of this loss, but our combo guard PG trying to play hero ball gassed when we need scripted, efficient end-of-game plays that yield good looks...

...it absolutely screams for a competent point guard.

People saying JJ or Cope can be our next PG... Shoehorning a combo guard with handle into the position comes with a lot of limitations, and we again see why at the end of this game.

I think people have forgotten how important an effective PG is since we haven't had one for so long.
Right now, Cope is a better PG than Judah. He played lead guard in HS, has a good handle and even Greenberg remarked last game, good bb IQ.
Judah, bless his heart, is NOT a "pass first, set-up-my-teammates, run-the-offense" PG. He just isn't. We're making the same mistake with him as we did with JG3, that is playing him in a role that doesn't fit him best. The Joe Girard we saw today, is the one who should've been playing at SU.
To be sure, he's not blameless. But asking Judah to run a team offense, especially in end-game situations, is coaching malpractice. JMHO

Last edited:
If Cuffe continues not to play, and Carrey/Hima are dealing with injuries, we genuinely have about 6.5 total players that can play at all. It’s unsustainable.
So just like the last 30 years?

Battle back and Bell pretends he's trying to win a stuffed animal at the Fair.
Not sure what Judah was thinking, but between those two missing everything i think they went 2 for 8 combined down the stretch that's the game.

This team is missing too many key pieces (shooting and rebounding) to beat quality teams. Roster must be fixed in the offseason or Red will be on the hot seat heading into 2025-26.

As it should be. Syracuse never had 3 losing seasons in a row, ever.

This team is missing too many key pieces (shooting and rebounding) to beat quality teams. Roster must be fixed in the offseason or Red will be on the hot seat heading into 2025-26.
Should be on the hot seat for 2024-2025. March madness or bust. 4 outta the last 5 years sitting home for March madness should not be acceptable or tolerated for a program like ours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom