Clemson Postgame Thoughts | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Clemson Postgame Thoughts

Talk about a one trick pony. Maybe two because you have your zone vendetta too. Joe did everything he wanted to today. He walked into his old home, shot the lights out, didn’t force shots was a leader on the floor, nailed some late daggers and walked off with the win. He’s also going to the tournament as the second leading scorer on his team and playing 32 minutes a night. Starling hit a couple shots and Judah shot 6-18. I suspect Clemson is fine with the trade off of Joes less than stellar defense with everything else he brings to the table. Our team has given up 60% shooting to opponents for 3 of the last 4 games. Our entire team is awful defensively. Our man defense is awful.

Joe gave a good in your face (and he’s done that anll season) to all the clowns who said he could only play 15 minutes a game and should go down a level.
Kudos to Joe - he played a good game today. But let's not get too far over our skis. He played here four years and we were a .500 team in ACC play and never won more than 18 games in a season. Not to put it all on JG but he was part of the worst four year stretch in JB's tenure- although JB owns plenty of that himself.

JG was a very clear liability on defense, wasn't really a PG (couldn't penetrate and create shots for others and had slightly above average stats as a SG. 37-38% from 3 is solid but nothing exceptional. When he faced superior defenders they'd lock him up and throw away the key. I appreciate his efforts and wish him well. He's def a D-1 player but would not have been a difference maker for our team this year. JMO

Good coaches get the best players

I guess Autry's a good coach, then, because he signed the #10 player nationally at forward, and another Top 75 type at shooting guard.

The thing is, he has to be better next year; much better. Has to turn over half the roster, and be a better judge of talent this time, take fewer chances on guys coming off injuries.

I guess Autry's a good coach, then, because he signed the #10 player nationally at forward, and another Top 75 type at shooting guard.

The thing is, he has to be better next year; much better. Has to turn over half the roster, and be a better judge of talent this time, take fewer chances on guys coming off injuries.

Certain guys need to go, the process clearly has started.

Need a regular person PG, and more size for sure.

Did Red drop the ball to turn it over? Did red flop leaving a wide open three? Some of these staff takes Are so wild
Seriously Wild!!

Should be on the hot seat for 2024-2025. March madness or bust. 4 outta the last 5 years sitting home for March madness should not be acceptable or tolerated for a program like ours.
I wasn't fired up about Red's hiring but not sure that is fair in terms of the hot seat but he has to begin to show some progress. His predecessor didn't exactly leave the program in great shape. I distinctly remember JB saying that this sophomore class was the best recruiting class in his tenure or something to that effect. That statement demanded an immediate drug test.

Is McLeod good? No. But he only needs to play 10-15 minutes a game while Maliq plays 25-30 min at the 5. What portal center is going to transfer here to play 10-15 mins a game?

I think you asked this question before, or somebody did.
In my opinion, we want a C who is good enough to play 20 minutes.

Remember, we don't have Benny anymore, and Naheem & Hima & Carey all need to be recruited over.

If we get somebody who can score 10-12 points and get 6-8 rebounds in 20 minutes. he weighs around 240 and can score reliably from somewhere, we'll be a better team for it.

You don’t need the type of centers we recruit. Don’t need a 6-11 to 7’4 beanpoles. Nobody else does this. You can fill the position fine with 6-8 to 6-9 dudes who are wider bodied.. they are all over the college landscape and routinely hand us our lunch. Otis hill was 6-7 ish but it felt Like he was 7-2.
You forget, we also need them with injury history or chronic potato knee

Really hurts us not having a big and having to have Maliq spend all his time there battling seasoned post players. He'll win a good number of those, but there are limits for him at the 5. I think there are things to build on (the amount of defensive turnovers.. in spurts), flashes of really good defense, getting to the line, willingness to fight and occasionally good ball movement. There are obvious shortcomings on converting those turnovers, defensive rotations, active help and someone that wants to own the paint. A facilitating guard has to be added to the equation and at the end of the day, and bodies, more big bodies.

When Griff was coaching him on the side toward the end of the game it looked like Judah was debating him instead of listening
in contrast it was unusual to see griff really engaging a player during a TO. several gestures about getting hands up in some capacity . mintz didn't seemed tuned in. and gerry was just walking around chewing gum per usual .

I think you asked this question before, or somebody did.
In my opinion, we want a C who is good enough to play 20 minutes.

Remember, we don't have Benny anymore, and Naheem & Hima & Carey all need to be recruited over.

If we get somebody who can score 10-12 points and get 6-8 rebounds in 20 minutes. he weighs around 240 and can score reliably from somewhere, we'll be a better team for it.
I think the issue is that Maliq is good and I don’t think Red sees him at a 4 in his system. Donnie would be the starting 4.

Also, any big that averages 12 pts and 8 boards in 20 minutes would be like an all american type of player lol

If you don't think losing him for the season drastically changed the dynamic of this team and the rotation options available to Red, you don't know what you're looking at.
Drastically? Let’s not get carried away. Idk maybe he adds a couple blocks, but he also gave up plenty in man to man, there’s a reason brown was playing the majority of the minutes at the 5

I think the issue is that Maliq is good and I don’t think Red sees him at a 4 in his system. Donnie would be the starting 4.

Also, any big that averages 12 pts and 8 boards in 20 minutes would be like an all american type of player lol
do you recall a cuse team giving up more paint pt.s ? we're getting jobbed inside.

Drastically? Let’s not get carried away. Idk maybe he adds a couple blocks, but he also gave up plenty in man to man, there’s a reason brown was playing the majority of the minutes at the 5
Who plays those minutes now? Mostly Brown, which changes the way he must play, and is not sustainable, at least as it translates into victories on the court. I get that lots of people dislike McLeod's game, but this isn't hard to understand.

Guys have to play normal positions. We have done the out of position thing for 10-15 years. It doesn’t work!

The Cuffe situation is not good. He wasn’t playing much but when he did he played hard. So much so that a couple weeks ago Red said he needed to get him more minutes.

do you recall a cuse team giving up more paint pt.s ? we're getting jobbed inside.
I agree but part of the issue is that Chris Bell, Justin Taylor, and Quadir Copeland are our 3/4s and Maliq Brown is stuck on an island by himself and can’t get in foul trouble. Having Benny and Naheem (or any sort of competent depth at the 4/5 positions) would help.

With a true Center i can see Donnie at the 3 Maliq the 4 JJ

I agree but part of the issue is that Chris Bell, Justin Taylor, and Quadir Copeland are our 3/4s and Maliq Brown is stuck on an island by himself and can’t get in foul trouble. Having Benny and Naheem (or any sort of competent depth at the 4/5 positions) would help.
If Patterson can stand up on defense put him in the game for a few minutes.
On offense just have him set screens for Bell, and JJ.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom