Column: Leaving Big East a Disaster for Syracuse (and others) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Column: Leaving Big East a Disaster for Syracuse (and others)

Why not stay in the Big East and go independent in football?
That would be a financial disaster for us. We wouldn't have any bowl tie-ins. We wouldn't get any shares of TV or playoff revenue. And each year we would have to throw together an unpredictable hodge-podge of a crap schedule.

If Pitt didn't go to the ACC, they would have never hired Kevin Stallings.

Abandoning the Big East was a bad move for the old guard when the Big East actually abandoned the Big East. I mean, look how much Georgetown is thriving!

I'm so happy for Creighton though.

Teams that made good coaching hires are doing well.

Isn't there something to be said for Jamie Dixon leaving because his style of play was suddenly unworkable in the ACC (like it tended to be in the NCAA tournament anyway?)

No it wasn’t.
His last class he was recruiting hard we got Tyler Lydon 4 star, Malachi Richardson 5 star McD AA, Frank Howard 4 star.

Hell Hopkins recruited Tyus Battle the following class before he went to Washington.

Hopkins became less effective the last year because hint hint what happened.
You touting Battle as a great recruit/player is pretty funny.

Frank was pretty much a disaster besides his junior year.

The other 2 played one season here.

Isn't there something to be said for Jamie Dixon leaving because his style of play was suddenly unworkable in the ACC (like it tended to be in the NCAA tournament anyway?)

Probably, but there's something to be said for not hiring a guy that literally everyone everywhere said oh my god what a terrible hire.

Your first post to me was that you wanted to leave the board. That’s good discourse? Lol.
My first post to you is that you're an example of how people come to this board to whine and complain and then flex when numerous people say you're wrong because somehow saying anything is more important than saying something intelligent.

Sorry for not coming out and saying that in the first place?

Probably, but there's something to be said for not hiring a guy that literally everyone everywhere said oh my god what a terrible hire.
They could have done that in any league though.

That would be a financial disaster for us. We wouldn't have any bowl tie-ins. We wouldn't get any shares of TV or playoff revenue. And each year we would have to throw together an unpredictable hodge-podge of a crap schedule.
Listen I get it. I understand that we were in a no win situation.

I just hate this league. It’s crippling us more than ppl want to admit.

Abandoning the Big East was a bad move for the old guard when the Big East actually abandoned the Big East. I mean, look how much Georgetown is thriving!

I'm so happy for Creighton though.

Teams that made good coaching hires are doing well.
The Big East died when Miami left.

The Frankenstein hybrid wasn’t helping football.
The Big East was dying. The top football conferences wanted to consolidate all the money.
TCU was going to come in but remember the Big XII fell apart.

We 100% made the right move.
Our football program needs NYS HS to get better and player development to develop an OL.

My first post to you is that you're an example of how people come to this board to whine and complain and then flex when numerous people say you're wrong because somehow saying anything is more important than saying something intelligent.

Sorry for not coming out and saying that in the first place?
Your first post was the flex.

Are you sure? ;)

Your last sentence "It’s crippling us more than ppl want to admit" indicates otherwise.
It’s crippling us because we aren’t Syracuse anymore. We’re a friggin fish out of water.

In the Big East we were an Orca hunting sharks.

You touting Battle as a great recruit/player is pretty funny.

Frank was pretty much a disaster besides his junior year.

The other 2 played one season here.
Battle was a high 4 star/low 5 star.

I mean cmon man. Battle was a top 30 recruit. He was asked to do way too much. Not his fault.

Lydon and Malachi were NBA first round draft picks.

Hopkins leaving is the biggest reason the talent has gone down.

Why not stay in the Big East and go independent in football?

Ppl act like our football program is better than UCONNs or something. It’s been 23 years since McNabb graduated. 1987 was 34 years ago.

We aren’t that program anymore. We are Greg Robinson, Hard Nose, Bologna, & a hurry up and wait offense.

$30+ million reasons.

Dixon left to go to his alma matta.

Battle was a high 4 star/low 5 star.

I mean cmon man. Battle was a top 30 recruit. He was asked to do way too much. Not his fault.

Lydon and Malachi were NBA first round draft picks.

Hopkins leaving is the biggest reason the talent has gone down.
I love Hop and we are hurting because he is not here but playing in a foreign league is killing us.

All the charm is gone.

I love Hop and we are hurting because he is not here but playing in a foreign league is killing us.

All the charm is gone.
Is it really that "foreign?" Miami/VT/BC/Pitt/Louisville are all here. It's like we are a kid whose neighborhood was redistricted to a new school, but plenty of other neighbor kids made the transition also.

Syracuse made the right decision to go to the ACC. Really, there was no choice. The old Big East is gone.

That said, conference realignment is ongoing and there will be more moves in the future. And who is to say what a conference will look like in the future. Maybe there will be larger conferences with 3 or 4 divisions and the function of the conference is to negotiate media rights and manage competitions. Or maybe there will be smaller conferences.

All the charm is gone.
Talent is our biggest issue in basketball.
All it would take is two consecutive top 10 classes we are top of the conference.

Losing Mike Hopkins is the biggest reason our recruiting has gone down.

It’s not because of the ACC.

The BET, and related...competing in big games.

Nobody was missing the Big East in 2014 when we were undefeated and had 35,000 in the Dome, watching an incredible game against Duke, after having college Gameday.

We should be clashing with Duke, UNC, Virginia, and Louisville at the top of the league.

We only look back because we’re mediocre and boring.
The problem is a 76 year old fossil who doesn't relate to young people anymore. Q has been able to recruit playing the zone as his basic defense. The difference is he uses the press to speed up the game. Also he will go man to man at the end of the shot clock.
Yesterday he went man to man in the 4th quarter, and turned the game around.
Young people want to play fast, like they see in the NBA.

This is really easy to play out, ask UCONN if they want to swap places with us.

Would they leave all the Big East has to offer to go to the ACC?

If the Big East is so important, to a team that has four chips especially, they would of course stay!

But we all know what the answer would be. No one in their right mind would swap places with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom