Column: Leaving Big East a Disaster for Syracuse (and others) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Column: Leaving Big East a Disaster for Syracuse (and others)

They did the right thing.
Their football program needed a power conference to be worth it.

Once the Big Ten and ACC said no to them. So they realize that their basketball program shouldn’t be forced to play Tulsa, East Carolina, Central Florida so their football program can suck.

The Big East basketball is good for their program.
If they could be in a power conference they don’t go back to the BE.
I agree. We did the right thing too

Tell me something I don't know. It remains to be seen how our pretty decent Independent football schedule will affect the program. This thread is about SU basketball struggling as a member of the North Carolina centric basketball conference.
SU basketball is struggling because we haven’t replaced Mike Hopkins and our recruiting is down.
Leaving the Big East has nothing to do with it.

We made the Final Four in the ACC.
One of only 4 ACC teams to do so.
Our problems now are the result of our own doing.

Syracuse made the move they did for football and a massive paycheck
Really. Oh, you must have read the article because that is some serious insight. "If they had to do it again, Syracuse and Pittsburgh almost certainly leave because of the football money."

Really. Oh, you must have read the article because that is some serious insight. "If they had to do it again, Syracuse and Pittsburgh almost certainly leave because of the football money."
So what is your point? Alsacs is right, Much of our issues have nothing to do with conference affiliation.

I feel as though UConn fans want us to be “jealous” that they’re back in the Big East and we aren’t...but that’s just not the case lol

So what is your point? Alsacs is right, Much of our issues have nothing to do with conference affiliation.

I feel as though UConn fans want us to be “jealous” that they’re back in the Big East and we aren’t...but that’s just not the case lol
My point is I agree with the article, that SU, Pitt and ND basketball have been hurt by moving to the ACC. It's a trade-off and if I were an SU fan living in NYC I'd wish they were back in NYC playing at MSG. I already gave my opinion that recruiting is the single most important factor and leaving the Big East footprint hurts recruiting. Maybe I'm wrong, but Hurley's recruiting has certainly picked up since UConn decided to join the Big East.

My point is I agree with the article, that SU, Pitt and ND basketball have been hurt by moving to the ACC. It's a trade-off and if I were an SU fan living in NYC I'd wish they were back in NYC playing at MSG. I already gave my opinion that recruiting is the single most important factor and leaving the Big East footprint hurts recruiting. Maybe I'm wrong, but Hurley's recruiting has certainly picked up since UConn decided to join the Big East.
ACC tournament is regularly at Barclays in Brooklyn.
We play games across the Northeast.
We were going to play LSU at MSG this year but Covid canceled it.
We played you guys in MSG 3 times recently.
The northeast games aren’t stopped.
Our recruiting issues have to mainly to do with our HC and his priorities.

The ACC isn’t hurting our recruiting.

Yes it is foreign. I don’t care about Miami and VT in hoops. And in football we play them, what, every 4 years? They were our two biggest rivals in the Big East, now they may as well be in a different conference. Shiz, we play ND more often than we do those guys.

BC and Pitt football are below average but own us somehow. BC basketball is a joke. Pitt hoops had their time in the sun but then they screwed up their post Dixon hire and are back to pre 2000 form.

Louisville was fun when they had Pitino and we were meeting up w them in the garden for the BET. Now they are just another team on the schedule like Wake or GT or NC ST. I don’t care about those programs, the towns they’re in, or their history. Why would I?

Don’t you miss the yearly WARS against UConn and/or Georgetown 3 times a year? Don’t you miss playing WVU for the Schwartzwalder? Don’t you miss the history with northeast programs like Nova, SH, Providence, St John’s, Rutgers?

That’s Syracuse to me. New York’s college team. We had our league, we had our rivals. We had charm.

We aren’t Syracuse anymore. We are Wal-Mart.
This sounds like a 'you' problem.

It's funny, there was that post a couple weeks ago about the board and whether participation has gotten better or worse with the program sliding. And here I am, popping in occasionally to the same arguments and discussions that have played out since they day in September 2011 when we found out we got the life raft to the big boy conferences.

Yeah no thanks to playing basketball in a football stadium with no football team.

I think we are near Nova and UVA level if Hop had been allowed to take over.

Making a Final Four a year we could/should have been in the NIT and JB's kid being good enough to play big time ball looks like its gonna result in 6-7 years of basketball purgatory. We'll get back to where we need to be after that.

When fans are allowed back I want us to let students stand in front of the bleacher again so we can have more home court advantage.

Yeah no thanks to playing basketball in a football stadium with no football team.

I think we are near Nova and UVA level if Hop had been allowed to take over.

Making a Final Four a year we could/should have been in the NIT and JB's kid being good enough to play big time ball looks like its gonna result in 6-7 years of basketball purgatory. We'll get back to where we need to be after that.

When fans are allowed back I want us to let students stand in front of the bleacher again so we can have more home court advantage.

Kadary and Benny will lead us back to glory.

It's funny, there was that post a couple weeks ago about the board and whether participation has gotten better or worse with the program sliding. And here I am, popping in occasionally to the same arguments and discussions that have played out since they day in September 2011 when we found out we got the life raft to the big boy conferences.
If not being in a "big boy" conference = 4 banners, you can keep your big boy conference, thanks.

Look, I get it. The ACC was the place to be. Maybe it's just a coincidence that SU, Pitt and ND are all struggling in the southern conference. ACC basketball was always about UNC, Duke, and a couple wild-cards. Sometimes it better to be the Big Dog in the little pond.

No offense this whole thread is a bizarre stream of consciousness. It’s like you fell asleep in 1986 and woke up today.
I don’t take offense. I understand why we are in the ACC and that it’s pie in the sky talk thinking we had any other options.

I just hate the ACC.

If not being in a "big boy" conference = 4 banners, you can keep your big boy conference, thanks.

Look, I get it. The ACC was the place to be. Maybe it's just a coincidence that SU, Pitt and ND are all struggling in the southern conference. ACC basketball was always about UNC, Duke, and a couple wild-cards. Sometimes it better to be the Big Dog in the little pond.
Notre Dame has won a ACC conference tournament and made 2 elite eights while in the ACC.
Syracuse made a Final Four while in the ACC.
Louisville has done well.

The entire ACC conference is down this year.
Pitt has sucked because their fanbase pushed Dixon out.
They did it to themselves.

Awesome run. You’re pretty much done though. You’re UMass now.

Notre Dame has won a ACC conference tournament and made 2 elite eights while in the ACC.
Syracuse made a Final Four while in the ACC.
Louisville has done well.

The entire ACC conference is down this year.
Pitt has sucked because their fanbase pushed Dixon out.
They did it to themselves.
Final four. Please. Last time UConn finished 9-9 in conference it won a national championship. ;)

Final four. Please. Last time UConn finished 9-9 in conference it won a national championship. ;)

And then fired the loyal alum coach who led them there and tried not to pay him.

Or was that the other title you won when you kinda sucked? They blend in.

Someone doesn't follow the rankings.

What, you're BCU now?

Lol, UMass would probably brag about briefly sneaking into the bottom of the top 25 too.

Your ceiling went from Thabeet standing on his tip toes to Khalid El Amin having to duck when he walks around, when you didn’t get that ACC invite.

Your program would give up multiple NCs for a P5 invite.

I don't understand this whole thread. Anyone with a brain knows not only did we do the right thing when we accepted the offer to move leagues, we did the only thing we could have done. Guys and girls, this is not worth having a discussion on. If we had a president or a board of trustees that rejected the offer, they should be not only removed but sued. And I might add, none of our troubles on the field have had anything to do with the move. None of it. As a matter of fact, we have won a couple of national titles in some sports since we left. Did the move help them and hurt the hoop and football teams? Out football program has the problem of not having a solid recruiting base that we can call our own. As some pointed out, we did we 10 games a few years ago. Everything went right for us that year, no question. But we were kind of close to 2 more wins during that regular season. As for hoop, we got hit with three tough issues all at once. One, the sanctions. 2. Our best recruiter leaving. 3. Our coach has aged. This JB isn't the same guy that would get in his car after the season and recruit like crazy. We can't expect that from someone that age. But as we discussed on this board over the weekend, this is a problem that has hit all of us because we are not the program we once were. But none of those things have anything to do with switching leagues. To be honest, it was mostly luck that this didn't happen to us back in the early 90's. When we got hit with the sanctions at that time, John Wallace, a somewhat local kid, decided to stick with us. And Moten, who no one really wanted coming out of high school, turned out to be great for us. And while we lost ground in the Big East, we weren't killed by it. Oh, and let's not forget Laz Sims staying for a 5th year after Lloyd got d-qued.

Someone doesn't follow the rankings.

What, you're BCU now?
I understand if you want to come over and post on the football board. But you still have a hoops program. I'm pretty sure you have a board for that. I don't post on the boneyard but I must thank you. Your realignment board brought me so many laughs over the years. You guys really didn't understand that no one wanted you. Really. Shouldn't that have told you guys something about your school and it's programs. Sans girls basketball, of course. How much will your sports programs lose this year. Over 40 mil each of the last two years, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom