Critical. Hands to face call | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Critical. Hands to face call

Was a phantom call. I hate acc refs

What in the F*** was that call? And then the extra 15 yds on Shafer? I hve seen coaches blow up before... Shafer barely did. That was AWFUL! And then what was the extra 15 yds on the punt return?

And what the f*** happened on the the "running into the kicker". THere is 1 thing that I know that it wasn't. It was not "running into the kicker" The guy was either blocked into him or it was a 15 yarder and a 1st down. Incredibly bad.

Shafer had every right to go ballistic on those calls.

Chris...it was a legit call...the Clemson player was blocked into Riley.

No it was not the right call. The refs clearly did not agree that the player was blocked into Riley becuase THEY CALLED A RUNNING INTO THE KICKER!

None of the penalties that you guys are complaining about were bad calls, Stephen Clark almost ripped a guys face mask off, the said the wrong number, Estime or Philips was supposed to be on the line of scrimmage, Shafer lost his cool, the kid got pushed into Dixon, and Ron Thompson ran his mouth. How about we just say we played a decent game against the number 1 team in the country, penalties didnt lose this game

Shafer lost his cool? How often have you seen a 15 yarder on a coach? Have you ever? Maybe once or twice.

Now let me ask you this... how many times have you seen other coaches lose their cool more than Shafer did on that call? literally hundreds of times? more?

I only saw the replay once about the hands to the face, but I didnt see anyone with hands to the face. Again I only saw it once so I could be wrong.

how far is the WR able to go down the field when ineligible? Im not complaining about the call, just wondering.

If the kid got pushed into DIxon, you cant call a running into the kicker. So you are saying the refs bailed themselves out with their own stupidity? And a side note, if the kid literally got pushed into Dixon, Clemson needs to use better athletes because our guy is 10x stonger than him to put that little weight into a block and knock him off course like that. and i think it was a block in the back on us.

Shafer lost his cool? How often have you seen a 15 yarder on a coach? Have you ever? Maybe once or twice.

Now let me ask you this... how many times have you seen other coaches lose their cool more than Shafer did on that call? literally hundreds of times? more?

I only saw the replay once about the hands to the face, but I didnt see anyone with hands to the face. Again I only saw it once so I could be wrong.

how far is the WR able to go down the field when ineligible? Im not complaining about the call, just wondering.

If the kid got pushed into DIxon, you cant call a running into the kicker. So you are saying the refs bailed themselves out with their own stupidity? And a side note, if the kid literally got pushed into Dixon, Clemson needs to use better athletes because our guy is 10x stonger than him to put that little weight into a block and knock him off course like that. and i think it was a block in the back on us.

Normally I'd agree about crappy calls but Shafer tossed his hat & headset about 15 yards diagonally from the sideline toward the ref.

The sideline official upfield (and behind SS) threw the flag immediately. Shafer could be seen clearly calling him a MFer while being restrained by Hicks afterward.

That MFer was the same ref who flagged Thompson (2 plays later) after the interception for something that looked fairly benign and common after every play (2 players get up and jaw jack about the outcome).

That was a crappier call - SS deserved a penalty but I supported, and enjoyed, his outburst.

Normally I'd agree about crappy calls but Shafer tossed his hat & headset about 15 yards diagonally from the sideline toward the ref.

The sideline official upfield (and behind SS) threw the flag immediately. Shafer could be seen clearly calling him a MFer while being restrained by Hicks afterward.

That MFer was the same ref who flagged Thompson (2 plays later) after the interception for something that looked fairly benign and common after every play (2 players get up and jaw jack about the outcome).

That was a crappier call - SS deserved a penalty but I supported, and enjoyed, his outburst.
Agree the call against Thompson was far more egregious.

That one was ticky-tack...he barely made it 3 yards...but the WR is to blame.

Erv lined up on the line of scrimmage making him ineligible as he was covered by the outside receiver. He needed to be back off the line of scrimmage, he wasn't.

Wow you could tell what Thompson said. players ate running their mouths evety play. The ref said 51 so give people a break on that one. These calls seem to come at critical moments. I saw two obvious holds on their wr screens as well. Refs suckedd

Their receivers always make contact and block before the ball is in the air, should be called offensive pass interference on almost every one of those plays.

There should have been a pass interference call when Ish was mauled and that didn't get called either.

ACC refs are just awful.

I asked this in the game thread also. Do these calls get legitimately reviewed somewhere?

Erv lined up on the line of scrimmage making him ineligible as he was covered by the outside receiver. He needed to be back off the line of scrimmage, he wasn't.
A lineman is allowed three yards downfield, I believe. Erv seemed well within that when that pass was thrown. It was a poor call.

I love how they get Erv for being a half yard past the 3yds allowed, but the 5 guys past the line on the fake kick vs Pitt doesn't get called.

Why is there no article on this on Syracuse.com? Seems they have no issues speculating about player injuries. This would be the forum to actually review things and give an objective assessment. I'm not looking to a headline that says screw job by southern refs costs su again but something like questionable officiating trend continues. Disclaimer I did not go through all of their articles but I saw nothing in the headlines.

That call alone makes it sound like I swalled sandpaper the whole game. Voice is completely shot.

Some wildman in my section threw his whole plate of nachos after that call... hilarious. I think he actually thought he was going to reach the field with that throw up from 301.

Why is there no article on this on Syracuse.com? Seems they have no issues speculating about player injuries. This would be the forum to actually review things and give an objective assessment. I'm not looking to a headline that says screw job by southern refs costs su again but something like questionable officiating trend continues. Disclaimer I did not go through all of their articles but I saw nothing in the headlines.
Bud is only a Doctor, not a Ref :bat:

Was a phantom call. I hate acc refs
Watched the game over. They said the wrong number. Steven Clark was the guilty party unfortunately. It was frustrating but legit.

These are professional game officials who are treating these situations like they are amateur middle school refs and a father yelled at them from the sideline

Completely embarrassing, for the league and its officials. But the ACC isn't upset with them, because they did their job...the kept the League in line to collect an extra $20m

There is no "he was blocked into him so it's only a running into penalty" They made up that distinction on the fly to give a lesser penalty (if that's what they did).

The Hands to the Face was BS, if it was Clark he was doubleteamed and his hand nicked the guys helmet nothing more than happens like every play. On top of that, they called the wrong number. So in theory, they would have to excuse a coaching staff for erupting when they called a penalty on a player who'd done nothing.

I still have issues with Coach Shafer's comportment but that doesn't excuse embarrassing officiating from the ACC...but get used to that because in the 5 for 4 slots environment this will be happening a lot more to teams like us.

These are professional game officials who are treating these situations like they are amateur middle school refs and a father yelled at them from the sideline

Completely embarrassing, for the league and its officials. But the ACC isn't upset with them, because they did their job...the kept the League in line to collect an extra $20m

There is no "he was blocked into him so it's only a running into penalty" They made up that distinction on the fly to give a lesser penalty (if that's what they did).

The Hands to the Face was BS, if it was Clark he was doubleteamed and his hand nicked the guys helmet nothing more than happens like every play. On top of that, they called the wrong number. So in theory, they would have to excuse a coaching staff for erupting when they called a penalty on a player who'd done nothing.

I still have issues with Coach Shafer's comportment but that doesn't excuse embarrassing officiating from the ACC...but get used to that because in the 5 for 4 slots environment this will be happening a lot more to teams like us.

CT2-EkXUsAEx6fw.jpg

Looks like hand to shoulderpad to me.

Last edited:
Cusefan78 said:
Yeah but tack on the penalty and we were deep in our side of the field. if they punted there we would have had great field position. Crowd was in it. Refs totally took the game away from us.

It was a terrible call but we ended up getting thw ball back anyways. Who knows they cculd have kicked a 60 yard punt and pinned us back, we could have muffed a punt. Lota of things could have happened.

My point was it wasnt a killer call. The killer call was (and it was the righr call) the long pass play to Ishmael that got called back. That was a dagger.

None of the penalties that you guys are complaining about were bad calls, Stephen Clark almost ripped a guys face mask off, the said the wrong number, Estime or Philips was supposed to be on the line of scrimmage, Shafer lost his cool, the kid got pushed into Dixon, and Ron Thompson ran his mouth. How about we just say we played a decent game against the number 1 team in the country, penalties didnt lose this game

Mike McAllister– ‏

When you review it closer can't tell from this angle if he has pads or helmet. Source says game film shows pads

7:05 AM - 15 Nov 2015
2 LIKES

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-15_10-16-6.gif
    upload_2015-11-15_10-16-6.gif
    52 bytes · Views: 53
What about the punt return from Estime where he called fair catch, caught it, and then a Clemson player ran up and essentially hit him knocking Estime back 3 or 4 yards. You aren't allowed to make contact with a returner who's made a fair catch and that guy did it right in the face of the official... no flag. That was baffling and it was in the first quarter.

Marsh01 said:
It was a terrible call but we ended up getting thw ball back anyways. Who knows they cculd have kicked a 60 yard punt and pinned us back, we could have muffed a punt. Lota of things could have happened. My point was it wasnt a killer call. The killer call was (and it was the righr call) the long pass play to Ishmael that got called back. That was a dagger.

Ismael tripping over the 10 yard line might have been equally as dagger if there was no penalty.

I couldn't help but laugh. A miserable laugh, but a laugh nonetheless.

A penalty also wiped out Ismael's 60 yard catch. Seemed borderline.
It was worse than borderline. They made the call because our slot receiver (Phillips?) on the side away from the play was covered up. And he was. But as the play unfolded, he only advanced 3 yards down the field. Offensive linemen are allowed that amount downfield, and more, without drawing a flag.

No it was not the right call. The refs clearly did not agree that the player was blocked into Riley becuase THEY CALLED A RUNNING INTO THE KICKER!
Well it could've been a no call...it essentially turned into it...as he refused the penalty. I think it was a bailout call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom