Cuffe | Syracusefan.com

Cuffe

djcon57

Living Legend
Give him an offseason to get his legs underneath him more and improve his shot and sign me up for 25 minimum. I think Red has been handling him with kid gloves this year and I trust he knows why. Maybe his mental game post injuries or whatever. Really hope he returns

Last edited:
He clearly has talent. Kansas did not sign him as a flyer. He was injured. It has clearly taken time for him to return. Red probably does not want another Westry situation and risk another injury.

He can shoot and he’s an elite defender. I’m not sure of his ball handling, but it isn’t like JJ is great at that either.
I wouldn’t say he’s an elite defender but he is a better defender than JJ. I think a guy like Kyle Cuffe on the roster is fine in a bench role because he doesn’t really do much outside of a 3&d role.

I wouldn’t say he’s an elite defender but he is a better defender than JJ. I think a guy like Kyle Cuffe on the roster is fine in a bench role because he doesn’t really do much outside of a 3&d role.
I guess the point is you don’t need to play your guards 40 mins a game. You can play 4 guards and spread out the mins. I get we don’t have the depth this year. I’m hoping next year we can and Cuffe is including in those mins (and JJ doesn’t avg 36 or whatever he is)

This is fair, but two things:

1) I think he can improve on what is a good base right now
2) 3&D is money in the bank. We barely have either right now. It's going to be critical next year.

I think he is a good role guy. His defense is being a tad overstated in my opinion because the other players are so inept on that end. Also last night was the first night I can really remember the 3 in his 3&D role emerged. I like him and think he should have played more but he's a role guy moving forward or we are in trouble.

I guess the point is you don’t need to play your guards 40 mins a game. You can play 4 guards and spread out the mins. I get we don’t have the depth this year. I’m hoping next year we can and Cuffe is including in those mins (and JJ doesn’t avg 36 or whatever he is)
I am interested to see the guard minute distribution next year with Choppa Moore, a portal guard, and probably Chance back (?). I will say even with a 6 man rotation, Cuffe only playing 5-10 minutes a game is telling.

I am interested to see the guard minute distribution next year with Choppa Moore, a portal guard, and probably Chance back (?). I will say even with a 6 man rotation, Cuffe only playing 5-10 minutes a game is telling.

For all intents and purposes he was an older freshman this year though. Let’s see what he can do with now having actual game experience to build on and home in on areas of improvement over a summer.

I've voiced this before, but I like Cuffe and could see him being an impactful player with more minutes.
For any players coming back they need to buy into playing defense.
That wins championships, the best teams that JB had were good on that end. Rebounding is part of that and defensive rebounding can lead to easy points.

For any players coming back they need to buy into playing defense.
That wins championships, the best teams that JB had were good on that end. Rebounding is part of that and defensive rebounding can lead to easy points.
Completely agree. They need to buy into defense AND minimal whining and yelling at officials, coaching staff, and teammates.

I've voiced this before, but I like Cuffe and could see him being an impactful player with more minutes.

Agreed. His shot looks good, plays good defense, handle is not terrible.
Not sure he can play the point, but looks like a good off-guard to complement the backcourt. He needs more PT.

Elite vertical - nice jumper - physical and solid defender just needs to improve as a ball handler and be more aggressive using that vertical attacking the rim. There is a lot to work with for sure.

Yeah. And coming off of an injury plagued earlier stint [and indeed, and injury here this off-season].

Kid looks toolsy -- and has flashed.

But he's also flashed inconsistency, and garnered lots of coach decision DNP's.

Now that he is more experienced, will be interesting to see if he's a more steady contributor in the rotation going forward. Could see this guy being a nice scoring threat off of the bench.

I am reserving judgment until next year. Wasn't super impressed but this kid hasn’t played in a long time. Have to see an improvement on both ends before he will get consistent minutes. Decision making on offense was questionable, that’s a team wide problem. Moore is bigger and a better shooter. Don’t know where Kyle’s minutes come from.

Most of the players in the NBA are 3 and D guys. They are scattered up and down NBA rosters, for a good reason.

I am reserving judgment until next year. Wasn't super impressed but this kid hasn’t played in a long time. Have to see an improvement on both ends before he will get consistent minutes. Decision making on offense was questionable, that’s a team wide problem. Moore is bigger and a better shooter. Don’t know where Kyle’s minutes come from.
Moore isn't going to be ready to play defense at this level as a freshman.
It will take some time for him to be ready to play meaningful minutes.

Great bench piece.
i like Cuffe...but the more I think about roster...I dont see what his role is

3rd shooting guard?

at shooting guard: JJ, Moore, ...

at PG: ???

Can Cuffe play PG? I dont think so. it's not really his game

will he get minutes at SG? Why would Moore come if he isnt going to play? and vice versa

nowadays it doesnt make sense to bring in any freshamn that wont play bc they will just portal the next season.

meanwhile, players like Leffew have visited...what role would he take? PG? SG?

I have a weird feeling Cuffe is going to start at PG next season

and while I like Cuffe...I dont think that would really be wise for the program.

I feel like the team is missing out on some good portal guards due to loyalty to cuffe.

the way I see it they need 2 SGs and 2 PGs...and maybe 1 other combo guard...

meanwhile right now they have zero PGs and 3 SGs on the roster

Cuffe could be a good 5th guard...but idk...

I'm starting to think the backcourt is going to be weird next year...

I guess I would feel better if there was a really good PG on the roster already

i like Cuffe...but the more I think about roster...I dont see what his role is

3rd shooting guard?

at shooting guard: JJ, Moore, ...

at PG: ???

Can Cuffe play PG? I dont think so. it's not really his game

will he get minutes at SG? Why would Moore come if he isnt going to play? and vice versa

nowadays it doesnt make sense to bring in any freshamn that wont play bc they will just portal the next season.

meanwhile, players like Leffew have visited...what role would he take? PG? SG?

I have a weird feeling Cuffe is going to start at PG next season

and while I like Cuffe...I dont think that would really be wise for the program.

I feel like the team is missing out on some good portal guards due to loyalty to cuffe.

the way I see it they need 2 SGs and 2 PGs...and maybe 1 other combo guard...

meanwhile right now they have zero PGs and 3 SGs on the roster

Cuffe could be a good 5th guard...but idk...

I'm starting to think the backcourt is going to be weird next year...

I guess I would feel better if there was a really good PG on the roster already

Cuffe start at PG??? Gummies hittin good?

i dont think he should be...just have a feeling

what do you think his role on the team is supposed to be then?

He’s an experienced backup guard who for now is a 3 and D guy. Someone who backs up the 2 or plays when you decide to go 3 guards as another wing. He is limited in any other role unless he makes a massive jump which is hard to see happening given how he plays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom