Cuffe | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Cuffe

I really like Cuffe and I expect him to really improve in the off season. From the outside looking in, he seemed to be a guy that didn't complain and went in to the game with energy and a purpose. He played tough defense and he played hard. If he is not in the rotation, that means we have a heck of a team.
If he is finally fully healthy, Cuffe could make a huge leap this year and give us quality minutes as a combo guard. He's a capable ball handler to be on the floor with either Carlos, JJ, Westry or any other guard. But, I didn't see enough last year from him as a primary ball handler to rate his decision making, and ability to distribute the ball.

If he is finally fully healthy, Cuffe could make a huge leap this year and give us quality minutes as a combo guard. He's a capable ball handler to be on the floor with either Carlos, JJ, Westry or any other guard. But, I didn't see enough last year from him as a primary ball handler to rate his decision making, and ability to distribute the ball.
He demonstrated a general inability to be a good outside shooter (41%/34%/46%). Maybe it was rust, who knows.

He demonstrated a general inability to be a good outside shooter (41%/34%/46%). Maybe it was rust, who knows.

He did seem to struggle but I look at him as a player that adds a different role than the others, a guy that can play D and in a pseudo way be like Stevie Thompson and add a spark off the bench.

I would have liked to have seen Cuffe get more minutes last year than he did. Both because I think he showed enough that he could make some positive contributions, and because I think both Mintz had JJ would have been more effective playing a few fewer minutes per game.

It looks like it's shaping up that Starling is a horse Red's going to ride next season for better and for worse. We'll see what the rest of the guard rotation shapes up to be. But it doesn't seem crazy to think even with the 3 new guards that Cuffe has a great chance to be he first guard off the bench. On his mind, I'm hoping he's pushing himself to try and start.

OK, how does jumping high translate to running fast?
I'm going to take this as an actual question and not snarkiness. I'm probably, once again, being overly optimistic.

Fast twitch muscle fiber allows explosive body motions. It's what we think of when we talk about"explosive athletes" (which is different from Exploding Kittens).

They work together in different ways, but usually vertical leaping skill and fast 40 times go hand-in-hand. Why wouldn't it be the same with Cuffe?

If Cuffe actually possesses the highest vertical on the team, he is also probably the fastest runner. I tend to doubt both attributes after his injury, but he definitely was an elite athlete before getting injured.

You could see it on a couple dunk attempts, where he tried dunking from farther away than his current skills allowed. But you could see from Cuffe's surprise that he expected to be able to do that. Hopefully his athleticism fully recovers this year.

I'm going to take this as an actual question and not snarkiness. I'm probably, once again, being overly optimistic.

Fast twitch muscle fiber allows explosive body motions. It's what we think of when we talk about"explosive athletes" (which is different from Exploding Kittens).

They work together in different ways, but usually vertical leaping skill and fast 40 times go hand-in-hand. Why wouldn't it be the same with Cuffe?

If Cuffe actually possesses the highest vertical on the team, he is also probably the fastest runner. I tend to doubt both attributes after his injury, but he definitely was an elite athlete before getting injured.

You could see it on a couple dunk attempts, where he tried dunking from farther away than his current skills allowed. But you could see from Cuffe's surprise that he expected to be able to do that. Hopefully his athleticism fully recovers this year.

He’s just trolling me- ignore.

I didn’t even pay attention to who I was replying to. No reason to be paranoid.

lol sure ok. Then somehow you can’t make the connection to the point about Cuffe being a great athlete from the original post as it pertains to the comment about his vertical? I don’t buy it especially given your typical responses.

The kid showed the ability to push the ball but with a weaker handle. That was clear as day. Again I don’t buy it based on your M.O. and your usual discontent for certain folks on here.

lol sure ok. Then somehow you can’t make the connection to the point about Cuffe being a great athlete from the original post as it pertains to the comment about his vertical? I don’t buy it especially given your typical responses.

The kid showed the ability to push the ball but with a weaker handle. That was clear as day. Again I don’t buy it based on your M.O. and your usual discontent for certain folks on here.
If you’re going to insist on taking it personally, there’s nothing I can do about that.

Cuffe is athletic. His problem is he’s an undersized 2 in a point guards body. He doesn’t have much of a handle at all. I think his shot is solid and he can be a capable defender, but with no handle and a lack of height he has some limitations.

Cuffe is athletic. His problem is he’s an undersized 2 in a point guards body. He doesn’t have much of a handle at all. I think his shot is solid and he can be a capable defender, but with no handle and a lack of height he has some limitations.
Handling the ball can be improved through drills and practice. What I've found is most SU players come in and leave without improving on their weaknesses, which somewhat reflects on our coaches. You can't turn a bad ball handler overnight into Pearl or Kenny Anderson, but he should be able to develop a tighter handle.

Handling the ball can be improved through drills and practice. What I've found is most SU players come in and leave without improving on their weaknesses, which somewhat reflects on our coaches. You can't turn a bad ball handler overnight into Pearl or Kenny Anderson, but he should be able to develop a tighter handle.
The guys who worked hard usually got better. The guys who didn’t work hard didn’t. We had a larger problem with recruiting than player development.

You also can lose the ability to dribble if you aren't able to do it for a while. Getting a leg injury where you can't do any basketball injuries screws up your whole game.

Cuffe will be back to his new normal now... What that means for his once elite athleticism and developing basketball skill, we can only guess.

Check out that jacket...
Screenshot_20240607-143222_Instagram.jpg

:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors