Cuomo allowing pro sports to restart - Can NY college teams be far behind? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Cuomo allowing pro sports to restart - Can NY college teams be far behind?

This would be positive news, in a sea of bad news. The best antibody studies were showing 0.75% mortality. Of course, if you are one, it doesn't matter.

I'd love to see the study. For now, I went for a left leaning publication(because everything is politicized). While they refused to use the 0.25% figure, the math checks out. 60% infection rate. (* I used the Columbia Profs # to find the rate, as they didnt state it) 0.25% mortality equate to the #'s they use for how they wanted to frame the argument.

I'll take 0.25% over all the other estimates, especially the known case, 5.9% number.

The original linked report raises the same issue. However, the same report notes that NY and NJ, in an effort to keep hospital beds open, made the mistake of sending people back to nursing homes, who then did not isolate the infected patients. Jaxtapose with Florida, having a large retiree population that isolated infected patients early on and has low numbers, too.

Way more variables are in play than can be fully accounted for in a thread such as this. Though, to our credit we can handle 25 variables on any given play (22 players on the field, the coaches and the weather), that is still less than 537 in Washington, 50 governor's, untold legislators, unnumbered doctors and researchers and a bazillion reporters that believe they are experts in everything (but would do well to find their own posteriors).

Back to the issue at hand: do colleges get the go-ahead soon?

The original linked report raises the same issue. However, the same report notes that NY and NJ, in an effort to keep hospital beds open, made the mistake of sending people back to nursing homes, who then did not isolate the infected patients. Jaxtapose with Florida, having a large retiree population that isolated infected patients early on and has low numbers, too.

Way more variables are in play than can be fully accounted for in a thread such as this. Though, to our credit we can handle 25 variables on any given play (22 players on the field, the coaches and the weather), that is still less than 537 in Washington, 50 governor's, untold legislators, unnumbered doctors and researchers and a bazillion reporters that believe they are experts in everything (but would do well to find their own posteriors).

Back to the issue at hand: do colleges get the go-ahead soon?
Honestly, if we can get some factual studies that are 0.15 to 0.25? We're having a College football season.

Right now, they are estimates. I'll go with the latest Boston study, as there was a scientific method. Fingers crossed that the CDC study can come with more concrete #'s. (They do reflect the Stanford study, which had test specificity issues, as well as others. They've revised many concerns of their peers, but I'd prefer another without those issues)

We have sadly 100,000 deaths at least half are care homes how many underlying condition deaths ? How many mis llabeled ?
I’d say maybe 20,000 healthy people out of 330,000,000 that’s 0.00006061%
And as far as death rate I’m sure we have at least double the cases if we were all tested .
I agreed to shut down and figure things out but now let people choose , fully open and if your scared , or vulnerable, then stay home until you feel comfortable

We have sadly 100,000 deaths at least half are care homes how many underlying condition deaths ? How many mis llabeled ?
And as far as death rate I’m sure we have at least double the cases if we were all tested .
I agreed to shut down and figure things out but now let people choose , fully open and if your scared , or vulnerable, then stay home until you feel comfortable

you’re going to be disappointed.

you’re going to be disappointed.
Maybe but people seem to have had enough
Governors are caving in to pressure
Don’t forget they want to be re elected and trump is pushing hard

Does the ACC have any way to renegotiate the tv deal at this point?

If schools are going to restrict the number of fans, then more people will be tuning in. Maybe each school can get a couple more national tv or prime time spots to help make of for lost sales. The conference can leverage the captive tv audience and the networks can sell more ads. But I really have no idea how these things work. What do you think?

cant find him
Dr. Hensrud. Long time friend heads up the Exec health department as well as the astronauts stuff. Also co author of the Mayo cook book. Became friends via the exec health stuff and when my wife was diagnosed with biliary cancer he was able to get her into a trial in MN. Since then he has helped my family through too much cancer. Everyone including my Father, Sister, and an Uncle have survived and are cancer free. Unfortunately my wife didnt.
Im a huge fan of the Mayo Clinic. If you or a loved one ever get something that is serious from a cancer standpoint go there if your insurance allows.

That's not how it works. Mortality is based on those who have been infected. If we want to discount 80% of the deaths, and arbitrarily use the 20% you stated? You indicated a 1.1% mortality rate. (Known cases) Worse than the new CDC, or antibody #'s.

If 100% of people with a bullet through the heart die? The mortality rate of a gun shot to the heart is 100%, not. 00000000001, because the others were never shot in the first place.

While your other analogies may have merit for some? Bad math analogies bug me. Lol
Apologies.

Last edited:
Dr. Hensrud. Long time friend heads up the Exec health department as well as the astronauts stuff. Also co author of the Mayo cook book. Became friends via the exec health stuff and when my wife was diagnosed with biliary cancer he was able to get her into a trial in MN. Since then he has helped my family through too much cancer. Everyone including my Father, Sister, and an Uncle have survived and are cancer free. Unfortunately my wife didnt.
Im a huge fan of the Mayo Clinic. If you or a loved one ever get something that is serious from a cancer standpoint go there if your insurance allows.

i was looking for a Dr Friends.

Sorry about your wife. FWIW, I’m a big fan of Memorial Sloan Kettering.

People spend so much money on concessions, blows my mind. If you have little ones, sure I get it. Food can keep them busy. But I will never understand buying full on meals at games, sometimes multiple times. Same at movie theatres. To each their own, I guess.

That said... love me some Dome nachos.
Ball games. Just a beer.
Movies. I got to have popcorn.

That seems like some real reliable, scientific data! Cool.

In regards to your other points? I won't argue them, but to your underlying?

University of Arizona found a mutated strain where 81 letters disappeared. This is good, because a virus like Sars mutated it's way out, as can be common with this type of virus., iirc. There may be scientific evidence that it "could" weaken on it's own as it replicates. I want to see if this was part of the CDC estimate.

semi update on the parking selection process its currently scheduled for june 9-june 26 but according my rep it is still tbd, sounded to me like there going to push it back but haven't finalized yet

it becomes a lot easier to manage if they decide to only allow 5-10K in the dome.

The title of the thread is just so weird to read... as if a governor (normally) has the ability to shut down an industry. Not the NY legs., not a court interpretation, but the governor.

Just a very odd reading head line.

Another vaccine producer saying they will have it ready to go before end of year . ( There are about 5 or 6 ) Novavax. Doing the production while still testing plan. Maybe a tad late for football but could affect College hoops season.

For argument sake. Let's say the the 0.25 number becomes accurate, either by proper estimate, or weakening of the virus.(or treatment, Remdesivir, or the other 3 drug combo that showed the same results)

How likely are you to go?

Outdoor stadium? I'm more likely.

Old Dome? NO WAY. That humidity in there is from people breathing. Petri dish. Opening game, there was a fog on the field because of it? Right?

New Dome? Tell me about the ventilation system...and how it will be used to exchange the air. (CFM) That's how I base my decision.

Last edited:
The title of the thread is just so weird to read... as if a governor (normally) has the ability to shut down an industry. Not the NY legs., not a court interpretation, but the governor.

Just a very odd reading head line.
Didn't Cuomo issue an executive order (or its NY equivalent)? If not, sorry the title should be renamed to whatever body issued the order. However, as Cuomo lifted the order, he presumably thought he had power to do so, thus the title.

If you have a better title, recommend one to the mods and ask them to change the title, I have no issue with accuracy. I am not being facetious, nor defensive. I want an honest, politics free debate whether SU takes the field/court this upcoming season based on Cuomo's, and not NJ's, acts of allowing the pros to play.

I know AZ, FL and TX have opened up and now NY and NJ have opened up. Other states are moving in the same direction. My opinions that there will be sports. People are tired of being couped up. Sports is a great distraction. Whether fans are in the stands, limited or full capacity, or not, the games will be watched.