Dakari / roster composition | Syracusefan.com

Dakari / roster composition

nyucuse

2nd String
With the news that DJ has narrowed his list to three and that SU is a finalist, many are assuming that one of our bigs is essentially gone. My take is a bit different. I think this situation is largely the same as last year with Noel. A big did not leave and no big planned on leaving. The staff considered Noel enough of a difference maker that they were willing to over-recruit to an extent at the 5 position, which is a shift from their normal philosophy. The likely scenario if Noel had committed would have been to redshirt Baye and run the 3 bigs plus James at the 4 and 5 positions.

I think the staff views Dakari as enough of a difference maker that they are willing to work the roster in a similar manner if he does commit and I am sure this is their pitch as well. One of RC or DC may leave but it is far from certain. Obokoh redshirting would be obvious but I wouldn't be surprised if they would redshirt Baye, even entering his senior year. This would serve all parties well. He is by all accounts a fantastic kid who is a team player. He no doubt needs to get stronger if he wants to pursue a professional basketball career. A year to lift, practice and then be a primary contributor as a redshirt senior in '14-15, once at least one of DJ, RC and DC are gone would do wonders for his prospects and would be in SU's long term interest as well, providing a solid front court piece in '14-15 no matter what happens with RC, DC and DJ and the NBA between now and then.

Regarding Dakari, the staff could sell him on being 1 of 3 true eligible bigs and 1 of 2 true centers in the lineup. He and DC rotate as the true post players while RC and likely JG eat the bulk of minutes at the 4. The numbers would be very similar to this year with Dakari replacing Baye and Jerami replacing James in the rotation.

SU would redshirt Baye, Obokoh and likely BJ Johnson and run 10 schollie players out there, with MCW assumed gone.

That's a long winded way of saying that it could work. The challenge will be that there would undoubtedly be more available PT at both UK and GT, but if he loves SU as much as has been stated and is willing to be on of 2 primary 5s and 1 of 3 true bigs, it is a sellable gameplan.

It could work. It all depends on how he and his mom see the situation. The chance to work every day against Dajuan and Roc may offset the fact that he may not get as many minutes per game, because Kentucky and Georgetown can both surely sell more playing time. But, at the end of the year, which scenario would make him a better player?

Apparently Dakari has family in Kentucky (probably recently moved there on request of Calipari) and I think the lack of playing time will steer him that way, sadly.

I think the staff knows one of the bigs fully intends to leave.

Even if that big doesn't though, let's be honest - Dakari is getting drafted after one year no matter how much he plays in college.

There's a lot of appeal to being the man in the middle. There's also a lot of appeal to being on a great team and keeping miles off of your knees before becoming a professional.

I read some where that he lived in Lexington for two years when he was in Middle School. Like KY needs nother recurting advantage.

First, I believe the staff knew well in advance that Fab was gone.

Second, I find it hard to believe that the staffs plan is to redshirt both BMK and Obokoh. Seems a bit much. And doing it for BMKs alledged pro career is even more of a stretch.

So, since I believe one and two above, count me as one of the people who are deducing from the staff's actions that they have pretty good knowledge that one of the bigs (odds on Rak) is leaving.

However, even with Rak leaving there will still be DC2 and BMK getting time. And just as Noel didn't like that situaton, I don't think Dakari will as well.

I thought BMK has already redshirted? I agree that Obokoh red shirts ... and maybe BJ. Doesn't solve the logjam. I'm not sure that either Rak or DC2 are high enough in the draft projections to lure them out ... mebbe mebbe not. BMK will always be a back up. Still leaves Roberson, Rak, DC2, at the 4-5

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought you can only have 13 on scholarship... Whether they are redshorting or not is of no consequence?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought you can only have 13 on scholarship... Whether they are redshorting or not is of no consequence?
True enough. But if MCW leaves we have 1 schollie.

Apparently Dakari has family in Kentucky (probably recently moved there on request of Calipari) and I think the lack of playing time will steer him that way, sadly.

Noel's not ready to go pro, so they have the same issue as us.

Noel's not ready to go pro, so they have the same issue as us.
I think Dakari goes there though. The fact he lived there and has family there seals the deal. They'll find a slot for him.

I heard Leo Rautins is going to pay Trevor Cooney's tuition
I heard dajuans father, Derrick, will pick up the bill for his sons tuition.

Second, I find it hard to believe that the staffs plan is to redshirt both BMK and Obokoh. Seems a bit much. And doing it for BMKs alledged pro career is even more of a stretch.

So, since I believe one and two above, count me as one of the people who are deducing from the staff's actions that they have pretty good knowledge that one of the bigs (odds on Rak) is leaving.

However, even with Rak leaving there will still be DC2 and BMK getting time. And just as Noel didn't like that situaton, I don't think Dakari will as well.

To me, Keita continues to play next year. I think the person who may leave is Christmas, whose game has been improving noticeably these past few games. If we make a deep run, he will probably go in the draft. Coleman will be here next year, and Keita seems to be happy in his current role, getting a great education and being a solid contributor to the team.

So Dakari is contingent on Christmas leaving. That's how I see it.

I agree that Obokoh seems a likely redshirt candidate, as does B.J. Johnson. I don't see Keita being redshirted this late in his career, especially when we have another guy who precisely fits Keita's role in Obokoh.

I also agree that Carter-Williams is gone. It will be really interesting if McCullough is able to move back to the Class of 2013, with him Roberson, Grant and Fair all back at forward. That's too deep. Johnson will have to redshirt.

ready or not he's hone on hype alone. Top 3 too.

Not necessarily. It all depends on how the team plays. If Kentucky has a lousy year, he'll be back. Guys don't get into the top 5 in the draft from poor teams. Look at Donte Greene versus Wes Johnson. Guys from NIT teams don't get picked as high.

Not necessarily. It all depends on how the team plays. If Kentucky has a lousy year, he'll be back. Guys don't get into the top 5 in the draft from poor teams. Look at Donte Greene versus Wes Johnson. Guys from NIT teams don't get picked as high.
He'll be in a sweet 16 game. Although I hope not.

I wouldn't waste a top 5 pick on him but this draft is the weakest that I've seen in a long time. He'll go top 10 by default.

I wouldn't waste a top 5 pick on him but this draft is the weakest that I've seen in a long time. He'll go top 10 by default.

I could see that. You wonder if Kentucky's season falls in the toilet if he might come back. Certainly many 0f them will be forced to.

Poythress, Goodwin, and Noel are gone. They will all be lottery picks and guys in the NBA won't look at a bad season for Kentucky as their fault and not want to draft them unless they absolutely implode. A so so season impacts guys like Wiltjer and Caulley Stein who are in that huge group of guys after the lottery talents that are all similar. Noel's situation IMHO opinion is similar to OJ Mayo. They both had crazy hype that grew and grew to unrealistic expectations. Once people seperate them from the hype and look at them for what they are they'll realize Noel isn't Davis or the best shot blocker since Russel, but he is a really good player who can be a real good role player in the NBA if he's in the right situation.

Dakari isn't the typical uk big guy. He needs touches on the block, he isn't some high flying shot blocker, and I don't know how much he'll like being a built in rebounder for the Harrison's and young and whoever else they end up with. Everyone keeps saying we have alot with Coleman, Rak, and baye, which is true. He'll only come here tho if dc or Rak leave so its all irrelevant until that happens. Kentucky has lee and my guess probably Caulley still around, two guys who fit their system much better than Dakari, wiltjer and possibly randle or wiggins who will play the 4 with young and the Harrison's. Its not like Kentucky has all this playing time to give either. I actually think Coleman and Dakari can coexist, although it might take some time to build chemistry.

Poythress, Goodwin, and Noel are gone. They will all be lottery picks and guys in the NBA won't look at a bad season for Kentucky as their fault and not want to draft them unless they absolutely implode. A so so season impacts guys like Wiltjer and Caulley Stein who are in that huge group of guys after the lottery talents that are all similar. Noel's situation IMHO opinion is similar to OJ Mayo. They both had crazy hype that grew and grew to unrealistic expectations. Once people seperate them from the hype and look at them for what they are they'll realize Noel isn't Davis or the best shot blocker since Russel, but he is a really good player who can be a real good role player in the NBA if he's in the right situation.

Dakari isn't the typical uk big guy. He needs touches on the block, he isn't some high flying shot blocker, and I don't know how much he'll like being a built in rebounder for the Harrison's and young and whoever else they end up with. Everyone keeps saying we have alot with Coleman, Rak, and baye, which is true. He'll only come here tho if dc or Rak leave so its all irrelevant until that happens. Kentucky has lee and my guess probably Caulley still around, two guys who fit their system much better than Dakari, wiltjer and possibly randle or wiggins who will play the 4 with young and the Harrison's. Its not like Kentucky has all this playing time to give either. I actually think Coleman and Dakari can coexist, although it might take some time to build chemistry.
Good point on how UK will have Lee and possibly Cauley still around, so it's not like he's guaranteed to be an instant starter there as well. We just have to wait until the season ends to see who stays or goes to have a better idea on how things will shake out.

Good point on how UK will have Lee and possibly Cauley still around, so it's not like he's guaranteed to be an instant starter there as well. We just have to wait until the season ends to see who stays or goes to have a better idea on how things will shake out.
He's probably going to Georgetown then. Just kidding.

If he is worried about BMK taking his time then he can go somewhere else. great players don't fear competition, especially from BMK. A great player would go somewhere where he can show off his skills, even in reduced minutes, but contend for a title. Trust me he isn't worried about BMK, or even DC when it comes to competition. Not to mention centers typically won't play more then 25 mins a game anyways

he is so far gone, he declared in his mind 2 years ago. he can avg 5 and 5 the remainder of the year, UK be a .500 team and he is still gone and will get drafted top 5

If he is worried about BMK taking his time then he can go somewhere else. great players don't fear competition, especially from BMK. A great player would go somewhere where he can show off his skills, even in reduced minutes, but contend for a title. Trust me he isn't worried about BMK, or even DC when it comes to competition. Not to mention centers typically won't play more then 25 mins a game anyways
If a player is looking to be one and done, they evaluate their expected playing time. There have been great players here who have had to wait their turn.

Dakari's mother has been on record as expressing her fears about this concern.

So it appears to me the players we have returning are a very real factor in Dakari evaluating where he wants to go to school.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom