Danny Hurley to the Lakers ?? | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Danny Hurley to the Lakers ??

People are talking like UCONN is a shoe in for a third straight national championship. Hurley lost several really good players. I doubt he wins another one next year.

It's the NBA, the pinnacle of the sport. It's the Lakers, one of the most prestigious franchises in all of sports. It's Los Angeles, one of the most famous cities in the world. It's Hollywood.

And he'll be paid out the wazoo.

The Merritt Parkway and Mystic Pizza and the express train from Greenwich to Grand Central and tax policy ain't stopping someone from taking the Lakers job if they want to chase the pinnacle of their profession.

And say what you want about LeBron, he's still one of the three best players in the history of mankind to ever pick up a basketball. Yes, he may be old. Yes, he may be a coach killer at times. But if you have the ego for the Lakers HC job, you have the ego to coach LeBron.

You get on the private jet and sign the contract and if you miss NJ, just fly in your favorite guy that makes the breakfast sandwich with the Taylor ham you really like and make the Lakers have your company car be a 1985 Chevy Camaro Iroc Z.

But you take this job 100 times out of a 100 if you want a shot at climbing the mountain.
It’s far more than one of 32 (or whatever the number) jobs in the world at the top of the profession. It the job with the most glamorous team, and the 2nd greatest franchise in the history of the sport.
It would be like the manager of the Syracuse chiefs being offers the job as manager of the Dodgers.
If he is competitive (duh) you keep taking on challenges. You test yourself against the best in the world. To do so with an historic franchise while ( likely) becoming highest paid basketball coach in history is, to me, a no brainer.

Probably all of it. It's just pocket change for the Lakers. Players contracts are all guaranteed.

No, they're not. Teams often hold options whether to extend or renew.

If you think UCONN, with its $5 mill TV contract in the Big East and no football money behind it, is going to be "top tier," I don't know what to tell you, but it's just not realistic.
I read this same exact comment almost word for word when they went into the AAC 500 times over and over.

It's the NBA, the pinnacle of the sport. It's the Lakers, one of the most prestigious franchises in all of sports. It's Los Angeles, one of the most famous cities in the world. It's Hollywood.

And he'll be paid out the wazoo.

The Merritt Parkway and Mystic Pizza and the express train from Greenwich to Grand Central and tax policy ain't stopping someone from taking the Lakers job if they want to chase the pinnacle of their profession.

And say what you want about LeBron, he's still one of the three best players in the history of mankind to ever pick up a basketball. Yes, he may be old. Yes, he may be a coach killer at times. But if you have the ego for the Lakers HC job, you have the ego to coach LeBron.

You get on the private jet and sign the contract and if you miss NJ, just fly in your favorite guy that makes the breakfast sandwich with the Taylor ham you really like and make the Lakers have your company car be a 1985 Chevy Camaro Iroc Z.

But you take this job 100 times out of a 100 if you want a shot at climbing the mountain.
Ha ha
I lived on Long Island in the mid eighties. They sure loved their Iroc Zs there too! And louvres :)

Are you seriously comparing the guy who just won back to back national championships at Storrs with Mike Hopkins? Hurley will absolutely walk back into a college job if and when he leaves the NBA, regardless of how he does there. It’s not even a question.

My point is that guys don't stay hot forever.

If Hurley bombs in the NBA, is he REALLY still getting all the best college jobs? He's got a reputation as a difficult, argumentative person. His style of coaching is not popular these days. Few other coaches are still like that.

You might say that Beilein is older and that factored into it, but he never really got a sniff at a good job again after his debacle in the NBA. He was only 65 when he got fired by the Cavs.

?

Not sure what you’re driving at. He’s going to get a massive and favorable contract offer from a multi billion dollar organization.

He might not care but that would make him extremely unique if so.

Not an important point. Never mind.

My main point is that if it was me, I would stay at UConn, at least this year.

And if I'm going to the NBA, if I have any self-awareness as Danny Hurley, I would realize that I probably need to coach a younger team with a good, promising core.

If I'm Hurley, I look at "Super Teams" of super egos, and if you haven't coached in this league before, you're just not ready for the intrigue, the relentless press coverage, all the travel.

There are a bunch of young teams out there who he could probably have a bigger impact with in a year or two. And if he catches lightning in a bottle this year and gets 3 in a row, well, nobody has done that in 50 years. That's worth more, to me.

The NBA will always be there, and he will always be disposable there as a coach. Living on borrowed time, as opposed to having a job for life. He's in his early 50s. He could easily stay at UConn for another 10 or 15 years, if he doesn't give himself a heart attack, or offend the wrong person.

This summarizes what I've been saying a few places in this thread, and now I'll stop.

He's a coach its all guaranteed

Let's say he gets an 8 year contract and gets fired after the 1st year, or worse still during the first season.

Do you honestly think any team is going to pay somebody the full amount for 7 remaining years on their contracts?

Agents and teams negotiate buy-outs of these mega-contracts all the time. That's what would happen here.

People are talking like UCONN is a shoe in for a third straight national championship. Hurley lost several really good players. I doubt he wins another one next year.

ESPN has them pre-season number 3. He knows how to win tournament games. They play great defense, and last year's offense they ran changed their whole game.

3. UConn Huskies

Previous ranking: 7

Back-to-back-to-back? Don't count out the Huskies, especially not after Alex Karaban's decision to return to Storrs and the way Dan Hurley hit the recruiting trail this spring. Karaban is the lone starter back for the reigning national champions, but he should combine with top-10 recruit Liam McNeeley and Saint Mary's transfer Aidan Mahaney to form one of the most dangerous shooting trios in the country. Hassan Diarra at the point guard spot will be the key for UConn next season.

Projected starting lineup

Hassan Diarra (6.1 PPG)
Aidan Mahaney (13.9 PPG at Saint Mary's)
Liam McNeeley (No. 9 in ESPN 100)
Alex Karaban (13.3 PPG)
Samson Johnson (5.4 PPG)

No, they're not. Teams often hold options whether to extend or renew.

The rookie deals have options tacked on. The generic player contract is might have a team option at the end, but the majority of them are fully guaranteed.

The Lakers seem to really really want Hurley. He can definitely get himself a really good deal.

Let's say he gets an 8 year contract and gets fired after the 1st year, or worse still during the first season.

Do you honestly think any team is going to pay somebody the full amount for 7 remaining years on their contracts?

Agents and teams negotiate buy-outs of these mega-contracts all the time. That's what would happen here.

Yes? He would have no incentive to give them anything back. There can be offsets in the deal where if a coach takes another job that money can offset some of money he's owed, but would seem very unlikely they could just walk away or negotiate it away unliterally. (Probably the more accurate way to put it is that Hurley would get paid out the full contract but some of it might be from whoever hired him next)

Not an important point. Never mind.

My main point is that if it was me, I would stay at UConn, at least this year.

And if I'm going to the NBA, if I have any self-awareness as Danny Hurley, I would realize that I probably need to coach a younger team with a good, promising core.

If I'm Hurley, I look at "Super Teams" of super egos, and if you haven't coached in this league before, you're just not ready for the intrigue, the relentless press coverage, all the travel.

There are a bunch of young teams out there who he could probably have a bigger impact with in a year or two. And if he catches lightning in a bottle this year and gets 3 in a row, well, nobody has done that in 50 years. That's worth more, to me.

The NBA will always be there, and he will always be disposable there as a coach. Living on borrowed time, as opposed to having a job for life. He's in his early 50s. He could easily stay at UConn for another 10 or 15 years, if he doesn't give himself a heart attack, or offend the wrong person.

This summarizes what I've been saying a few places in this thread, and now I'll stop.

Understood.

I’m just thinking about the gobs of cash :)

YES!!! It's a fully guaranteed contract. That's how pro sports work with coaches. There is no salary cap with coaches they are management and their contracts are fully guaranteed.

You may want to read up on this subject matter and how coach's contracts work in the NBA and all of professional sports. What you are alluding to is just factually wrong.

YES!!! It's a fully guaranteed contract. That's how pro sports work with coaches. There is no salary cap with coaches they are management and their contracts are fully guaranteed.

You may want to read up on this subject matter and how coach's contracts work in the NBA and all of professional sports. What you are alluding to is just factually wrong.

John Beilein only got paid a fraction of his 4 year guaranteed contract when he was fired in Cleveland in 2020.

When UConn fired Kevin Ollie and he sued, he was awarded $11M by an arbitrator, but wound up settling for $3.9M.

Many coaches take a buy out on a long term contract, so they are free to coach someone else. If you have a 7 year contract, technically the team can prevent you from coaching someone else until the contract expires. That's why many coaches are bought out.

My point is that guys don't stay hot forever.

If Hurley bombs in the NBA, is he REALLY still getting all the best college jobs? He's got a reputation as a difficult, argumentative person. His style of coaching is not popular these days. Few other coaches are still like that.

You might say that Beilein is older and that factored into it, but he never really got a sniff at a good job again after his debacle in the NBA. He was only 65 when he got fired by the Cavs.
Yes he would get the best college jobs. See rick Pitino after knicks to Kentucky and then Celtics to Louisville

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom