Danny Hurley to the Lakers ?? | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

Danny Hurley to the Lakers ??

my god that program is absurdly, unbelievably fortunate

it's like whatever is the opposite of karma, that's what ucon has and it's beyond nauseating
I think karma can be good, bad or anywhere in between - based on what you've done with your life up to that point (of reincarnation?)...

either way, I think the opposite of the karma you speak of is (wait for it) karma :)

Ps, I can't stand UConn nor their crazy jumping up and down coach.

I agree with (above). 6 years/$70million doesn't seem like 'enough.'
Real estate in LA is ridiculous and a $5 million home isn't really that impressive. Add to that probably needing to pay for transportation, because driving is very much not fun at many times of the day, and he's not going to live near the arena...

The big issues are LeBron, not wanting to be his subject for the next two years; and his next two years being his end/decline years. Gotta believe this last season was 'lucky' and an aberration as far as him and Davis being mostly healthy. I'm not going to go into front office and cap and draft pick stuff with what LA is looking at post-Lebron but maybe this just wasn't the right NBA job for Hurley. I don't think he's destined to remain a college coach, though, just because college kids are supposed to be more receptive to his antics. He would adjust.

Also, let's acknowledge - we have some fans that are really bad at the rival aspect of sports.

You don't have to like your rivals. You don't have to respect them. Full stop.

Rutgers, Georgetown, UCONN, etc. - it's ok to unconditionally bucket them as scum.

Heck, that's part of the fun.
I don't get this.
How are any of those teams our rivals?
And why or how is 'hate' "fun?"

I really don't care if UConn is historically successful. I'd rather they have more championships than Duke. Unless we're head to head, it doesn't affect Syracuse, especially now. Maybe later, if we're legitimately competing for the same recruits.

I don't get this.
How are any of those teams our rivals?
And why or how is 'hate' "fun?"

I really don't care if UConn is historically successful. I'd rather they have more championships than Duke. Unless we're head to head, it doesn't affect Syracuse, especially now. Maybe later, if we're legitimately competing for the same recruits.
Why do people boo the heels at wrestling matches?

Why do people boo the heels at wrestling matches?
I still don't know which side you're on!

I'll answer that seriously.
I don't know. I think people who watch wrestling are idiots. I think people who actually "boo" non-ironically are idiots.

Gave your post a Like just for the use of the old-timey word "heels." Capital!

I'm very much not convinced he is anything special as a head coach without Kimani Young and/or Luke Murray on his staff. Yukon managing to keep them both after back to back nattys is crazier than him turning down the Lakers.

As part of a NIL package? I don't see why it would.
Is that different from adding $75k to the monetary sum?

I'm asking, too. In this age, i don't know what 'prima donna' means, because it's going to be based on context. I don't know what has become normalized for other players to ask for. And since they're all professionals, it also has to be contrasted vs NBA guys, no? And then contextualized again with the specific player vs his environment. If LeBron makes extreme requests because he's important to the Lakers, and Lampkin makes requests because he's important to the Orange, is that the same thing, or is the college kid not supposed to make requests because... he's 'only' in college?

You tell me. Please. No snark intended. You asked this presumably because you have a perspective, but i don't know which side you're on.
I'm suggesting it's same/same. And there's probably primadonnas in the NHL as well.

6/70 tells me the Lakers were not serious about it.
What it should tell you is they’re not a serious organization. Jerry’s kids don’t have the means or desire to be competitive.

I don't know. I think people who watch wrestling are idiots. I think people who actually "boo" non-ironically are idiots.

Are we allowed to boo the bad guys in Marvel movies?

Basketball and all sports are entertainment products. It's not that serious. You can hate UConn and at the same time not be a hooligan to UConn fans

I understand your point... but you know that's a terrible comparison/example to use.

The best coach in college basketball going to the NBA is not the same as top-25-assistant(?) getting their first HC job and failing lol.

If Hurley went to the NBA and failed miserably, he is getting a college HC job with no issues whatsoever

See John Beilein. That could easily be Danny Hurley after a year of yelling at LeBron James and Anthony Davis. His reputation and career could be ruined.

Rhode Island isn't LA!
I spent my first 48 years on the east coast. Loved NYC. Then i moved to LA and SD. Would not move back.

I'm a bit surprised he's staying. Especially because he wasn't a UConn alum/player. Tremendous success there, but it's 'just a job,' and Storrs doesn't seem like an ultimate destination, regardless of that success.

I think he's smart enough to know that this wasn't the fit, and that with a quality team coming back, he's not going to be any less of a prospect in a year or two, when the right NBA opportunity opens up. He needs a young core who he can have more influence over.

There are at least half a dozen teams that he would be a good fit for when the time comes. That's how Billy Donovan lasted so long, coaching younger players in OKC and Chicago, who he could help develop. That should be Hurley's path to the NBA.

See John Beilein. That could easily be Danny Hurley after a year of yelling at LeBron James and Anthony Davis. His reputation and career could be ruined.
John Beilein could have a head coaching job in college bball tomorrow if he wanted it. Dude is 71.

============

"The offers started coming in those early spring months back in 2020, but John Beilein simply wasn’t interested.

He no longer wanted to be a college basketball coach.

“That ship has sailed,” said Beilein, the former WVU and Michigan coach, who amassed 754 wins during 37 seasons at six different schools. “There were many opportunities, lots of calls. I was at a point in my life where I felt like I wasn’t going to miss it.”"

This was zero surprise. Give Hurley credit with what he's done the last two years but he was never going to the Lakers, ever. His schtick would never work in the NBA. This is like when Coach K would be up for an NBA job every few years but always "decided" to stay at Duke, it was all a show.

Are we allowed to boo the bad guys in Marvel movies?

Basketball and all sports are entertainment products. It's not that serious. You can hate UConn and at the same time not be a hooligan to UConn fans
Literally "booing?"
I'm still not understanding. If it's not that serious, how do you get to an emotional state where booing is a valid expression?

I mean, i kinda get it. I 'hated' Duke for a long time. I 'hated' the Patriots. I literally didn't watch the NCAA tournament in certain years until Duke lost (except for our games). I literally didn't watch the Pats/Seahawks Super Bowl—the only SB i've not watched. Because i was just so exhausted by them. But, "hate" i guess is just not the right word for me. I don't "boo" except if i'm mocking the act of booing... It just seems so primitive. Someone on a sitcom said something like, "children boo puppet villains" or somesuch. Was that on Seinfeld? That's kinda how i feel about it.

I'm not familiar with the hooliganism. Used to go to the BET at MSG every year in the 90s-00s and never encountered anything from UConn fans.

I think he's smart enough to know that this wasn't the fit, and that with a quality team coming back, he's not going to be any less of a prospect in a year or two, when the right NBA opportunity opens up. He needs a young core who he can have more influence over.

There are at least half a dozen teams that he would be a good fit for when the time comes. That's how Billy Donovan lasted so long, coaching younger players in OKC and Chicago, who he could help develop. That should be Hurley's path to the NBA.
I don't disagree with any of that.
If i were him, though, the thought of trying to outlast Lebron would occur to me. Just stick around for three years. It's Los Angeles. It's one of the few premier franchises. And either way, if he fails, he can still get a 'lesser' NBA job or just about any open college job. I don't think his star would be tarnished, if everyone in the know believes Lebron/Klutch runs things, as it would be Lebron having too much control again that led to a too early playoff exit.

I'm suggesting it's same/same. And there's probably primadonnas in the NHL as well.
NHL, rock stars, actors, politicians... Anyone with the combination of celebrity, money, power... it all equals leverage, and people usually try to get as much as possible. To me, though, the issue is in how it's managed. If you're more sophisticated, you keep it quiet and non-ridiculous.

All I can say, man, is... you should give wrestling a shot at some point in your life.

But the answer is, it's part of the fun.

People try to make it in to a morality thing. It's not. Foe example, the Rutgers dumpster fire thread - Rutgers is a dumpster fire, and that's where we acknowledge it and poke fun. Every once in a while a fan tries to "well akshoolly" the thread. They're not morally superior. They're just less fun.

Tuttle tried to make a point earlier that it reflects poorly on the fan. Whatever. Again, not a morality thing.

Calling Hurley a coward because he lacks the testicular fortitude to take the NBA job is fun.

Have more fun.

Dis your opponents unconditionally.

“Primmadonnas” in this context, especially contrasted with the NHL also seems to have a racial element as well

I don't disagree with any of that.
If i were him, though, the thought of trying to outlast Lebron would occur to me. Just stick around for three years. It's Los Angeles. It's one of the few premier franchises. And either way, if he fails, he can still get a 'lesser' NBA job or just about any open college job. I don't think his star would be tarnished, if everyone in the know believes Lebron/Klutch runs things, as it would be Lebron having too much control again that led to a too early playoff exit.

Whether or not his star got tarnished from flaming out as LeBron's stooge; I'm just not optimistic. I think LeBron is at the stage where his ego doesn't recognize his limitations, and that his run as the alpha dog is over.

I could see it ending in a profanity-laced press conference for Hurley, storming into a crowd to confront fans, him dressing down LeBron publicly, and ultimately a sea of terrible press for him, for losing it at the wrong time.

You don't necessarily come back from something like that. He's a Bobby Knight personality.

Literally "booing?"
I'm still not understanding. If it's not that serious, how do you get to an emotional state where booing is a valid expression?

I mean, i kinda get it. I 'hated' Duke for a long time. I 'hated' the Patriots. I literally didn't watch the NCAA tournament in certain years until Duke lost (except for our games). I literally didn't watch the Pats/Seahawks Super Bowl—the only SB i've not watched. Because i was just so exhausted by them. But, "hate" i guess is just not the right word for me. I don't "boo" except if i'm mocking the act of booing... It just seems so primitive. Someone on a sitcom said something like, "children boo puppet villains" or somesuch. Was that on Seinfeld? That's kinda how i feel about it.

I'm not familiar with the hooliganism. Used to go to the BET at MSG every year in the 90s-00s and never encountered anything from UConn fans.
Do you eat your candy bars with a fork and knife too?

The fact you don't understand that I'm suggesting you can boo for fun is concerning. Yes, actually booing. Like booing the refs. Booing. It's happens in literally every game you watch.

Not sure if you're being obtuse on purpose or not about the hooliganism comment. I'm suggesting you can hate your arch rivial WITHOUT hooliganism ala soccer teams in europe.