Dean Francis new podcast out there... | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Dean Francis new podcast out there...

I can't recall your post but it's best NOT to discuss anything from a paid service or the source it came from.

On page 2 of the thread I wrote,

"Ahhhhhhhhh this now makes more sense...gunna guess this may be what a certain guy who does a great pod for us cuse fans was alluding to!"

Was this out of line?

Like I said before, when we had a pay side, info from there was not to be shared either the free side.

Francis’ pods are the “pay side.”
You're missing my point. Where should we discuss payside things? Do you expect everyone to listen to his podcast and then not discuss anywhere? It isnt realistic, there needs to be a better model.

Those other services have their own boards to discuss their info. Like it or not, Francis made his name here and people still post, "he had a new pod out" and then expect no one to talk about it? Maybe I'm crazy...

You're missing my point. Where should we discuss payside things? Do you expect everyone to listen to his podcast and then not discuss anywhere? It isnt realistic, there needs to be a better model.

Those other services have their own boards to discuss their info. Like it or not, Francis made his name here and people still post, "he had a new pod out" and then expect no one to talk about it? Maybe I'm crazy...
There is a place on Patreon under the link to the pods to discuss/talk about the pods that is exclusive to the subscribers.

There is a place on Patreon under the link to the pods to discuss/talk about the pods that is exclusive to the subscribers.
Cool, then that makes sense to me. I guess you just have to separate the two services then. If you don't want people talking about it over here, than don't post about it over here.

What about the payments I make monthly to patronage. Can we contact patronage, who ever they are, and resolve this through them. Sounding like a scam if he just stops doing updates and people are paying him monthly. Not good...
Pretty sure when he deletes his stuff in the coming weeks, he'll turn it off completely. It's been less than 24 hours since he said he was done and you're saying the $1 payment per month that you've paid is sounding like a scam he's put on? LOL

I think he stopped doing the pod moreso because of the negativity of people here. He was always worried about what people here were saying and I have to believe he still checks in. I don't really buy it's because his info was leaking. He released information smartly and I haven't seen much here that came from him first. The Quade thread started from Jarhead's Lexington connection. Wish he worried more about catering to his fans than about the people that put him down because they were too cheap to spend a dollar or too lazy to listen or just hated seeing other people enjoy something.
I listened and it sounds like he's gotten tired of the constant questions and comments from people that heard his stuff second hand. I don't blame him. Sucks that he's gotten so fed up, as I enjoyed listening, even when he didn't talk too much about insider info.

How about this: If he puts stuff on his pods that he doesn’t want people who don’t pay a dollar a month to hear, then don’t talk about it to people who don’t pay a dollar. I mean, it’s not THAT hard to not be a bag about it.

On page 2 of the thread I wrote,

"Ahhhhhhhhh this now makes more sense...gunna guess this may be what a certain guy who does a great pod for us cuse fans was alluding to!"

Was this out of line?
Yep cause most people are going to know who that is, best just to keep it off completely.

I mean, it wasn’t THAT long ago that there was a paywall associated with certain content here. It still is that way with just about every other fan site on the internet. There’s no way in hell someone could take something they heard on Manley Zoo or whatever, post it in the free board, and think that’s acceptable. We are pretty lucky that some posters are willing to share info for free that on any other board would require a subscription.

A dollar a month is not a steep price to keep info to yourself.

Hey, leave me out of this...:rolling:

Actually, I think ppl who scraped Francis' stuff from Patreon to this public board and then got all self righteous about it should have been warned and then banned by the mods. Maybe they were warned, I don't know.
It's not really all that hard for some posters to have respect and common courtesy for a guy who's been all orange all the time for years offering up info not many others have. The post that made me SMH was that Dean was scamming ppl for a dollar. No wonder he left.

How about this: If he puts stuff on his pods that he doesn’t want people who don’t pay a dollar a month to hear, then don’t talk about it to people who don’t pay a dollar. I mean, it’s not THAT hard to not be a bag about it.
That's just not realistic, you can say that all you want, but it isn't how the internet works. I agree, stealing content is bad, I don't do it, but that won't stop someone from doing it.

I mean, look at YouTube. You can find a million paid pod casts, tv shows, movie clips whatever the type of media on there for free.

That's just not realistic, you can say that all you want, but it isn't how the internet works. I agree, stealing content is bad, I don't do it, but that won't stop someone from doing it.

I mean, look at YouTube. You can find a million paid pod casts, tv shows, movie clips whatever the type of media on there for free.

What is "realistic" is the expectation that people should be able to control their own behavior. It doesn't matter what others choose to do, despite the examples you (not you singularly) can produce.

I'm just curious, because I don't think I've seen it mentioned, but is this Dean's actual job? Or is this just a hobby of his? He says he doesn't want to lose his connections with all of the insider info that he gets, which I would totally understand if he does this for a living.

I'm just curious, because I don't think I've seen it mentioned, but is this Dean's actual job? Or is this just a hobby of his? He says he doesn't want to lose his connections with all of the insider info that he gets, which I would totally understand if he does this for a living.

What does it matter if it's his living or not? Protecting his ppl is protecting his ppl, money, hobby or whatever. That means he's got integrity and he respects his ppl. Unfortunately, some on this board do not.

It's really not. I've asked several folks in the know previously and they respected his wishes and not shared.

And yes, I'm cheap.

Not really, I just don't like using my credit card that I share with my current wife on SU hoops related things like this. She thinks I'm nuts spending as much time as I do here. Not that she's wrong.

It's too bad..I more enjoyed his recruiting updates especially around AAU season of who we're going after hard. I also liked his takes on games during the season

It's really not. I've asked several folks in the know previously and they respected his wishes and not shared.

And yes, I'm cheap.

Not really, I just don't like using my credit card that I share with my current wife on SU hoops related things like this. She thinks I'm nuts spending as much time as I do here. Not that she's wrong.

She’s not! My wife’s the same.

And yes, I'm cheap.

I just can't believe you share a credit card with your wife. I would never...

What is "realistic" is the expectation that people should be able to control their own behavior. It doesn't matter what others choose to do, despite the examples you (not you singularly) can produce.
Really, I'm not trying to argue so don't take this the wrong way. I'm just surprised that people are surprised content on the internet (or other media) is being stolen or re-branded.

Realistic means having or showing a sensible and practical idea of what can be achieved or expected (dictionary.com). If I put candy out for Halloween in a bowl and say please only take one, I know that isn't realistic. I might be optimistic that people are inherently good yada yada and won't take more than one piece of candy, but real world experience tells me that bowl will be on the ground with no candy in it after a few visitors.

I agree with you, people should be able to control their own behavior, but they might be in control of their behavior and think his podcast is for the taking. There was a really good argument with Bill Burr once about content on the internet, he made awesome points, but the guy he was arguing just didn't get it. The people that just don't get it, will always not get it. They will think that they can do whatever they want with it because they pay for it.

I don't think this was about "stealing" content. It was more about Dean, for lack of a better word, being embarrassed that people who confided things in him thought he was out spouting the info to anybody. I can see where his contacts could get that impression when things are showing up on this board, but at least in this case, I don't think that is what happened.

The QG stuff came through a completely different path, but maybe even the innocuous statement about "that might have been what that pod was alluding to" could give someone the wrong impression about what was actually in the pod, which was essentially nothing in my opinion. But over time, I'm sure there is no way to avoid these types of misunderstandings with your sources if you are doing a semi-regular podcast.

Combine that with the fact that I do think it is true that Dean has been sensitive in the past to a few things, which included people not always fully believing him, people being negative, and people not agreeing with him. That isn't a ding on him. I think it is just that if that is your personality, being in the spotlight due to the special information you have is going to wear you down big time. All of us have felt it here. People can be crazy negative, crazy judgmental, crazy uninformed. If you are taking personal risks with your relationships to share insider information and then are met with that kind of response over and over, you don't have to be super-sensitive to say the heck with this.

Hobby

Hopefully he can become a writer for one of the more established outlets, then, so he gets a regular check out of it.

I really like him, and have known his online persona going back to the Julius Hodge recruitment. But I never really had the hour/hour-and-a-half to listen to his podcasts.

Last edited:
What does it matter if it's his living or not? Protecting his ppl is protecting his ppl, money, hobby or whatever. That means he's got integrity and he respects his ppl. Unfortunately, some on this board do not.
It was an honest question. No need to attack. Was just curious what his motive was behind doing the podcasts originally, etc. That's why I asked if it's his job, since his career would be at risk if he loses his insiders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom