Death, taxes and another Duke #1 recruiting class | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Death, taxes and another Duke #1 recruiting class

You’re wrong. The exposure and playing on that platform ups. Daniel Orton got drafted from UK and he was trash

Nah.

Go back and look at some draft projections from before the season.

Daniel Orton got drafted on size, measurables, and potential.

No one said Zion wouldn’t have been a star elsewhere. I’m saying two things:
• Zion got more exposure at duke than he would have anywhere else. The combination of duke—a media favorite, in the premier conference —plus Zion equals the most exposure;
• More importantly, and the true point of mentioning Zion: these kids JUST SAW all that Zionmania. It’s fresh. It’s current evidence. It’s current proof and a demonstration of what they want. And there is/was no fresher or powerful illustration of what a kid can get out of a college experience.

And back to your claim that a Zion could have received the same exposure elsewhere... Morant may be the second pick, a true college star, and yet I never saw a single game of his. Never saw a minute of him playing. Never saw a commercial featuring him.

The fbi/adidas thing? If these current duke recruits haven’t been paid, they’d prolly assume the players before them haven’t been paid. If the current recruits are getting paid, they’re going to duke because they’re getting paid. Not sure which other high-profile school would be safer to attend if they’re afraid of what he fbi might do. Are you really feeling ‘stung’ because these guys aren’t coming to Syracuse?

I’m not saying duke isn’t cheating. Im only saying that there are still a lot of reasons why a kid would choose to go there. What were you saying about us when we were getting Pearl, DC, and Billy O?
Ja Morant is a Sophomore. His freshman numbers weren’t special.
Since December he has been a consensus top 5 pick.
Morant was never Zion.
Go watch the McDonalds All-American slam dunk contest from last year. Since then it’s been obvious Zion was special.
People didn’t realize it till the Duke team destroyed Kentucky opening game.
Zion isn’t LeBron James but he is on a level below and drew ratings for the sport on his likability and game.

If Zion was at any school he gets this attention. Duke didn’t make him money his skills and personality made him money. If he was at South Carolina or Clemson he gets the same attention. Zion made Duke likable. Duke is hated but Zion was just a good kid who played fun basketball.

The Adidas trials have shown how dirty college basketball recruiting is. If a school like LSU with a coach like Will Wade is talking about an offer for paying a kid and the stuff we know about Louisville and Bryce Brown.
It’s not hard to realize Duke is getting so many of these kids in each class they are likely doing the same thing.

It’s not all of a sudden. Duke has always recruited better than those others programs.

Not like they have now. I have to say it’s amazing to me the amount of otherwise intelligent posters have their head in the sand regarding this. Some people have really bought in to the schtick.

Last edited:
Not like they have now. I have to say it’s amazing to me the amount of otherwise intelligent posters have their head in the sand regarding this. Some people have really bought in to the schtick.

I mean how much evidence do people need that Duke isn't above it all? Coach K is just a made man and untouchable in NCAA's eyes because he makes them too much money. Just off the top of my head:

• Corey Maggette was found to be ineligible for accepting benefits from an agent while in high school but Duke isn't penalized even though he played throughout their run to the NCAA title game. Other players and schools identified in the same exact probe with the same exact agent all faced penalties.
  • Duhon's mom gets hooked up with a job she was in no way qualified for. NCAA can't really do anything about this but it's obvious what happened.
  • While playing at Duke Lance Thomas makes a $30k down payment for jewelry with an agreement he'd pay the remaining ~$70k in the next two weeks. Thomas then bails on the remaining $70k balance. Jeweler sues Thomas, NCAA begins investigating, case gets settled confidentially out of court within 2 weeks after going public, NCAA says no longer investigating. How was a college student given that line of credit from a jeweler other than being an impermissible benefit due to his status of playing for Duke or able to come up with the $30k down payment?
  • Chicago is notorious for being pay to play with recruiting yet Coach K gets the best player in the country from Chicago in back to back years.
  • Wendell Carter is listed in the initial FBI story as receiving benefits from an agent. Duke does an internal investigation where they literally just asked Carter's parents if he broke a rule, they said no, internal investigation over.
  • Kansas says they'll give Zion's family a house, a job for his dad and cash yet Zion goes to Duke for no other reason other than he just fell in love with the campus.
Personally, I don't care that they or anyone else pay players but it's wild how people abandon common sense on some things.

I mean how much evidence do people need that Duke isn't above it all? Coach K is just a made man and untouchable in NCAA's eyes because he makes them too much money. Just off the top of my head:

• Corey Maggette was found to be ineligible for accepting benefits from an agent while in high school but Duke isn't penalized even though he played throughout their run to the NCAA title game. Other players and schools identified in the same exact probe with the same exact agent all faced penalties.
  • Duhon's mom gets hooked up with a job she was in no way qualified for. NCAA can't really do anything about this but it's obvious what happened.
  • While playing at Duke Lance Thomas makes a $30k down payment for jewelry with an agreement he'd pay the remaining ~$70k in the next two weeks. Thomas then bails on the remaining $70k balance. Jeweler sues Thomas, NCAA begins investigating, case gets settled confidentially out of court within 2 weeks after going public, NCAA says no longer investigating. How was a college student given that line of credit from a jeweler other than being an impermissible benefit due to his status of playing for Duke or able to come up with the $30k down payment?
  • Chicago is notorious for being pay to play with recruiting yet Coach K gets the best player in the country from Chicago in back to back years.
  • Wendell Carter is listed in the initial FBI story as receiving benefits from an agent. Duke does an internal investigation where they literally just asked Carter's parents if he broke a rule, they said no, internal investigation over.
  • Kansas says they'll give Zion's family a house, a job for his dad and cash yet Zion goes to Duke for no other reason other than he just fell in love with the campus.
Personally, I don't care that they or anyone else pay players but it's wild how people abandon common sense on some things.
Stop making sense. Don’t you know Duke has been recruiting at a high level forever. I mean don’t use logic that isn’t allowed in this thread.

If Ja Morant decided for some reason to return to school next year, I don't think Murray State would be on ESPN/CBS with regularity. The exposure at Duke is next level. I heard on the radio somewhere recently that Duke games on ESPN averaged 2.2 million this year vs. 1.9 million for NBA games. (My numbers may be slightly off). A good chunk is Zion-based, but a lot of it is brand based.

There's being on TV then there's Duke being on TV (betcha they don't have how do I steal cable threads on their boards for the Davidson game) and getting the extra MSG type of game.

Chris Bassey is the prime example for everyone. He was a top 10 talent in HS, did pretty well his freshmen year...zero coverage of him and might go undrafted..why? No exposure

He wasn't

But he was. They marketed him like crazy. And if he went to Duke he wouldn't have been drafted that high because most likely K wouldn't have featured him and would have played Grayson Allen.

The following players stock dropped once they went to Duke and you can't argue otherwise:

Trevon Duval
Marques Bolden
Reddish
Gary Trent
Frank Jackson
Harry Giles

Chris Bassey is the prime example for everyone. He was a top 10 talent in HS, did pretty well his freshmen year...zero coverage of him and might go undrafted..why? No exposure

I assume you mean Charles Bassey and you can't compare Western Kentucky to the rest of the power 5 outside of Duke/UK. You make it sound like all top 10 picks are from Duke and UK.

But he was. They marketed him like crazy. And if he went to Duke he wouldn't have been drafted that high because most likely K wouldn't have featured him and would have played Grayson Allen.

The following players stock dropped once they went to Duke and you can't argue otherwise:

Trevon Duval
Marques Bolden
Reddish
Gary Trent
Frank Jackson
Harry Giles
Bolden could have went 1st round after his freshman season but toyed around transferring and came back like an idiot than Bagley came in at the last minute. He screwed himself over.

Duval lol..a non shooting pg..ya, those last in the nba...he had no shot of doing anything..same will be with Leques from NC state.

Giles..how can you blame duke on that? Two ACL injuries

Again, I can't believe I'm even defending Duke or UK...need to wash my mouth out with soap...but there is something on going to those two programs and KU where you are just exposed to espn headlines and tv more. It's just a fact

Bolden could have went 1st round after his freshman season but toyed around transferring and came back like an idiot than Bagley came in at the last minute. He screwed himself over.

Duval lol..a non shooting pg..ya, those last in the nba...he had no shot of doing anything..same will be with Leques from NC state.

Giles..how can you blame duke on that? Two ACL injuries

Again, I can't believe I'm even defending Duke or UK...need to wash my mouth out with soap...but there is something on going to those two programs and KU where you are just exposed to espn headlines and tv more. It's just a fact

So scouts are dumb and Bagley/Zion wouldn't have been the number one pick and two pick elsewhere. Got it. I wonder how Doncic was found.

Based on recruiting rankings. He and Barrett were both above Zion. Duke hurt Reddish. He would have been better off at another school.

Recruiting rankings? Lol. They mean nothing. Who even ranks the players? Dudes from recruiting web sites? Jimmy from 2 4 7? BTW, ESPN had Barrett #1, Zion #2.

Duke didn't hurt Reddish. The kid averaged 14ppg and may get drafted anywhere from 4-9. He's not better than Barret or Zion obviously, or Ja Morant and it wouldn't have mattered where he went.

Recruiting rankings? Lol. They mean nothing. Who even ranks the players? Dudes from recruiting web sites? Jimmy from 2 4 7? BTW, ESPN had Barrett #1, Zion #2.

Duke didn't hurt Reddish. The kid averaged 14ppg and may get drafted anywhere from 4-9. He's not better than Barret or Zion obviously, or Ja Morant and it wouldn't have mattered where he went.

You literally just argued above in this thread they mean something by saying Duke has always got top classes. You’re contradicting yourself. And every basketball expert had Reddish ranked higher than Zion until this year. Everyone.

Trae Young would not have been top 5 if he went to Duke and averaged 10 ppg. I am sure of that. The amount of short memories in this thread is ridiculous. I can’t even believe I got involved in this stupid argument, but I thought our fans were more intelligent than this.

You literally just argued above in this thread they mean something by saying Duke has always got top classes. You’re contradicting yourself. And every basketball expert had Reddish ranked higher than Zion until this year. Everyone.

Trae Young would not have been top 5 if he went to Duke and averaged 10 ppg. I am sure of that. The amount of short memories in this thread is ridiculous. I can’t even believe I got involved in this stupid argument, but I thought our fans were more intelligent than this.

No, I said Duke has always gotten top talent and used McDonald's AA's to make my point. High school recruiting rankings don't determine anything, especially where a player gets drafted. Reddish is not better than Zion or Barrett. That's just common sense.

You don’t get it. Which isn’t shocking.
Duke needed spacing on the floor this year. Cam Reddish played the exact same game as RJ Barrett. Barrett was just slightly better and more athletic slasher than Reddish.
Thus, Reddish had to play beyond the 3 point line because Duke needed him there to spread the defense out.
Over 63% of Reddish’s FGA were 3 point shots. He isn’t a good 3 pointer shooter only making 33% of them.

It was a bad fit for Reddish because he wasn’t as good as Williamson and Barrett and had to play a game where he didn’t have the ball in his hands and he was a shooter when that isn’t his strength.

It is so annoying how you fight these points just because. If Reddish was on another team he would have been the number 1 option and the ball would have been in his hands more and he could played his game.
On Duke he was option 3 and wasn’t getting the ball in his hands he was getting passes to shoot 3’s.

The NBA draft is all on potential. So Reddish will still go in the lottery but he is going to need pro coaching to fix him after playing in a bad fit offensively this year.
See Jaren Jackson how Memphis fixed him after being in a bad fit college offense last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom