Development in and Around Syracuse Discussion

FrancoPizza

2018 Iggy Leading Minutes Per Game Winner
Pretty awesome. I bet the majority of them are moving downtown or near SU. Who would have ever thought it?
Well it is percentage-based. I think actual numbers/volume is a better indicator of a city’s attractiveness to that demographic. The other day I daydreamed what it would be like if amazon hq2 was built on that completely deserted Kennedy square acreage.

Jake

Mod
Staff member

Seems like there’s economic opportunity here for people around my age. Syracuse has treated me quite well tbh.
There is a significant commitment to technology and the drone industry. It’s attracting younger people from out of town. Those individuals are also driving up the real estate market for the first time in forever.

wiseman3

Walk On
I'm a recent college grad and will be moving downtown most likely within a year. There really is something good going on Downtown with Armory Square, Hanover, etc. And last time I checked there are some pretty beautiful trees in Franklin Square.

sutomcat

Former Iggy Winner. I used to be somebody special
Avenue of Plane Trees in Provence
The London plane tree, a type of sycamore, is tolerant of many of the problems associated with an urban setting.
Well, it isn't quite the same as a line of elm trees but it is better than nothing...

Stephen Harris, City Arborist, says he is not against my dream of getting a block of elm trees planted somewhere in the city and wants to talk about it.

I am going to follow up with him and see where this goes.

sutomcat

Ottomets is single handily drawing them in, he's like Mecca for Millenials. Craft Beer and an intimate knowledge of all things planning and the community grid go along way.
The community grid is a millenial magnet. No question. Build it and they will come.

Somebody better start stacking up inventory of PBR.

JeremyCuse

Living Legend
The community grid is a millenial magnet. No question. Build it and they will come.

Somebody better start stacking up inventory of PBR.
LOL, at this point its all craft all the time. New England Style IPA's, Sours, DIPA, Double dry hopped IPAs and Pale Ales, Quads etc etc. Otto Mets crew is only drinking PBR on throwback nights.

reedny

Hall of Fame / 44 Degrees of Consanguinity
There is a significant commitment to technology and the drone industry. It’s attracting younger people from out of town. Those individuals are also driving up the real estate market for the first time in forever.
Exciting for economic development, not so great for quiet enjoyment in the suburbs.

sutomcat

EXCLAMATION!™ London planetree has attractive mottled bark.
Image result for london plane tree

The original picture of a row of London plane trees does not do the beauty of the species justice. They are a gorgeous tree that deserves to be more widely planted.
That is a more flattering picture for sure.

In 1950, there were over 50,000 elms in the city of Syracuse. Yes, they are a magnificent tree but when you go all in on a given species, you expose yourself to diseases and run the risk of losing most of your canopy in the event of a calamity.

That happened in Syracuse and it is important to not repeat history. That said, I think having a row of trees of the same species lining a neighborhood block is so much more aesthetically pleasing than having a random mix of different types of trees. Maybe that is the compromise between looks and longevity that we need to have maximum success here.

What if some day down the road,one block of James Street was lined with elms, with the next lined with oaks, the next with dogwood and the next with sycamores? What if residents had a say in what trees were planted on the block they lived on? What if people started to learn about trees, started to care about them and started to take pride in this part of the appearance of their neighborhood?

I think it could change the city in a matter of years, and truly make Syracuse a tree city.

KellySyracuse

All American
Resplendent but do their flowers last for months?
found this on the Tree Center website:

Appearance
Compared to other Cornus florida varieties, the Cloud 9 blooms very early, getting your garden off to a flying start after the winter. The flowers will be at their height from mid-April to mid-May, and this Dogwood has a particularly rich crop; at the height of its bloom the tree’s appearance is completely dominated by them. When the fruit appears in late summer it’s just as plentiful, and its bright red color gives the tree a new, rich appearance. As fall closes in the foliage turns a particularly beautiful red with a strong hint of rust, making for one final display before winter arrives.

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
This millennial report (#3 Cuse): Could the numbers be skewed with the large amount of upper tiered apartments built close to the university that have opened in the last few years? I'd really look at that first to see if it is a lot of college student rentals.

Cusefan0307

Basketball Board pissing match observer
This millennial report (#3 Cuse): Could the numbers be skewed with the large amount of upper tiered apartments built close to the university that have opened in the last few years? I'd really look at that first to see if it is a lot of college student rentals.
Millennial stop in 98. Most moving here would already be graduated. The youngest kids 19-21 are generation Z.

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
Millennial stop in 98. Most moving here would already be graduated. The youngest kids 19-21 are generation Z.
You guys are all millennials to me. BTW, get off my lawn.

I think it might still be a valid point as it covers a period of time and the info is only as good as the info consolidators.

Top Bottom