Development in and Around Syracuse Discussion

OttoMets

Living Legend
Agreed. The thruways/interstates also see so much more traffic than they expected and heavier traffic as well. I read somewhere that a single fully loaded tractor trailer puts as much stress on a roadbed as 10,000 cars.
I was thinking this on my commute this morning, too - it's probably not an apples-to-oranges comparison in America, since most cars in the early interstate era were very heavy, but it's why our roads get beat up faster than those in Europe: everyone's driving around in a single-occupant tank. I'm always surprised to see how many large SUVs and similar vehicles are used for solo commuting. It has an effect on congestion and roadway wear and tear.

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
there is an easy way to make the tolls free between those exits in CNY, just increase the rate between the other tolls to make up the difference. The Buffalo and Albany commuters don't have to pay tolls, there should be some equity afforded for the CNY commuters. The time to announce it is when they finally stamp MOVE FORWARD WITH CONSTRUCTION for the community grid.
Exactly...as part of doing the community grid and saving a ton of money:. remove the local tolls. Quid pro Quo

KellySyracuse

All American
I was having a few drinks with a friend that passed along some dome construction update info. He's in a position to know so these wouldn't be rumors...however take it for what it's worth as second hand info:

Air conditioning will be ready by the 1st football game, the scaffolding for this project should be going in soon if they haven't already started working on it.

They are laying a 6ft deep pad for the crane needed to construct the roof. Crane is coming from Houston, apparently takes 88 semi tractor trailers to get it here.

The electronics won't be getting replaced until next year, they'll need to redo the scaffolding they're putting in now for the air conditioning.

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
I was having a few drinks with a friend that passed along some dome construction update info. He's in a position to know so these wouldn't be rumors...however take it for what it's worth as second hand info:

Air conditioning will be ready by the 1st football game, the scaffolding for this project should be going in soon if they haven't already started working on it.

They are laying a 6ft deep pad for the crane needed to construct the roof. Crane is coming from Houston, apparently takes 88 semi tractor trailers to get it here.

The electronics won't be getting replaced until next year, they'll need to redo the scaffolding they're putting in now for the air conditioning.
I thought air conditioning isn't in the plans until 2022.

sutomcat

Former Iggy Winner. I used to be somebody special

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru

sutomcat

Former Iggy Winner. I used to be somebody special
They’re probably putting the coils in the air handlers. The have work to do on the chiller water plant which is off site.
The air handlers...are those the areas in the Dome where the giant fans that keep the dome inflated are? Makes a lot of sense. You can also see why it would be hard to implement AC in phase 1 if it is dependent on using the space required to keep the roof inflated.

KellySyracuse

All American
They’re probably putting the coils in the air handlers. They have work to do on the chiller water plant which is off site.
that sounds right, he mentioned something about metal ducts above the 3rd level seats that they needed to get to which is why the scaffolding is getting put up. What didn't make sense and why he brought it up is why do it now when they have to rent the scaffolding again next year to do the electronics? There must be a reason which compelled him to think they wanted the air conditioning up and running before the Clemson game.

rocklloyd

He Da Man
Agreed they need way more capacity to condition the Dome airspace.
yes. that's what's going to make A/C in the dome more manageable. The infrastructure is already there. They need to expand the machinery that will make the chilled water to flow through the coils (and the piping to get to the coils)

Jake

Mod
Staff member
For those who are not aware, Renwick Ave and Fineview between Renwick and E Raynor Ave are being closed permanently during the first half of the 5 year grid project.

My guess is the Fine Lot’s days are numbered and will not be an option in the not so distant future.

JeremyCuse

Living Legend
For those who are not aware, Renwick Ave and Fineview between Renwick and E Raynor Ave are being closed permanently during the first half of the 5 year grid project.

My guess is the Fine Lot’s days are numbered and will not be an option in the not so distant future.
That seems like a bizarre decision. What does closing those two streets benefit the construction?? Bizarre

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
That’s where the highway starts reaching ground level. There are also building a new rail bridge and slightly moving the tracks that were once used for OnTrack.
I think they need to rebuild several bridges on that rail line. While they are at it...figure out how to get traffic going up to Liverpool without going under a 10' railroad bridge

Top Bottom