Dirtiest Recruitment of the Last 10 Years | Syracusefan.com

Dirtiest Recruitment of the Last 10 Years

Six guys that went to either Memphis or Kentucky under Calipari, what a huge coincidence.

would love to hear some of the stories of the kids we were involved with. Surprised Noel wasnt on there.

So this is another CBS article calling coaches dirty but nit really calling coaches dirty because it didn't come from them?

oh great, another poll of anonymous sources spouting off.

i love these kind of articles, i see a few new names being added for the next article, that are too fresh still, even tho shabazz is on there,

oh great, another poll of anonymous sources spouting off.

Anonymous yes. But also coaches yes.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

So this is another CBS article calling coaches dirty but nit really calling coaches dirty because it didn't come from them?

It's a gutless form of journalism primarily intended to stir the pot and particularly curious since it involves one of CBS's most valuable properties.

It's a gutless form of journalism primarily intended to stir the pot and particularly curious since it involves one of CBS's most valuable properties.

Agreed, and a lot of it could come down to something like "well we didn't get this kid, so the school that got him must've been doing something dirty"

Agreed, and a lot of it could come down to something like "well we didn't get this kid, so the school that got him must've been doing something dirty"
That is what is frustrating. Without any proof, a certain degree of the finger pointing can be attributed to sour grapes. Although, as they say, where there is smoke, there is fire, and quite a few of those players went to just a few schools.

Exactly. That's likely to happen when you give people an anonymous forum in which to vent. I'm no Pollyanna and understand that what goes on behind the scenes isn't always pretty, but shame on CBS Sports for running polls like this, shame on the coaches who agreed to participate and shame on me for reading the piece. If CBS is truly interested in exposing the darker sides of this sport they need to be conducting some legitimate investigative reporting.

That is what is frustrating. Without any proof, a certain degree of the finger pointing can be attributed to sour grapes. Although, as they say, where there is smoke, there is fire, and quite a few of those players went to just a few schools.

Yes, and I'm not naive enough to think that there are no dirty recruitment stories. I think most of the time when you are recruiting a top 10 or 15 player or whatever, the school that gets him probably did something illegal to facilitate that. But I'm also thinking a lot of the coaches don't have any proof (any more proof than "we offered him illegal and he didn't take it, so the school that got him must've offered more) and are just whining.

I really believe we would have got a few of these guys if it didn't turn "dirty"

This is just my opinion.

Very possible, but I'm sure we've gotten guys in dirty recruitments as well. That's college sports. I don't think there's any way a school can have the success we've had without at the very least bending the rules.

Yes, and I'm not naive enough to think that there are no dirty recruitment stories. I think most of the time when you are recruiting a top 10 or 15 player or whatever, the school that gets him probably did something illegal to facilitate that. But I'm also thinking a lot of the coaches don't have any proof (any more proof than "we offered him illegal and he didn't take it, so the school that got him must've offered more) and are just whining.

Very possible, but I'm sure we've gotten guys in dirty recruitments as well. That's college sports. I don't think there's any way a school can have the success we've had without at the very least bending the rules.

It does seem to beg the question of how Troy Weaver created an overnight pipeline to the mid-Atlantic.

It's odd that they stoop to this level but contractually prohibit broadcasters from criticizing the officiating (ostensibly as a way of protecting their property).

The world is gutless and some people are truely dirtbags, i just got burned for $2500 from some guy in chicago who i hired to do work for me, took my money and disappeared.

... a lot of the coaches don't have any proof (any more proof than "we offered him illegal and he didn't take it, so the school that got him must've offered more) and are just whining.

True, a couple of the quotes seem to support that (though I'm sympathetic toward the thinking behind the quote about John Wall, it's some of the most specious logic one could dream up; same for the Kyle Anderson line, which is kind of similar to my circa-2000 complaint about Julius Hodge: who claims that he wants to major in communications and then picks North Carolina State over Syracuse?).

One exception, of course, O.J. Mayo, who accepted cash, got a season vacated, and saw his coach deservedly get a show cause penalty.

True, a couple of the quotes seem to support that (though I'm sympathetic toward the thinking behind the quote about John Wall, it's some of the most specious logic one could dream up; same for the Kyle Anderson line, which is kind of similar to my circa-2000 complaint about Julius Hodge: who claims that he wants to major in communications and then picks North Carolina State over Syracuse?).

Those were great. He was from Carolina and UNC didn't recruit him that hard. He must've been dirty! (Lord knows UNC wouldn't get involved in anything against NCAA rules)

Those were great. He was from Carolina and UNC didn't recruit him that hard. He must've been dirty! (Lord knows UNC wouldn't get involved in anything against NCAA rules)
I can understand the logic. The top player in the class is from North Carolina and UNC shows little to no interest? Seems very odd. I am sure UNC is not above playing the game, but it is not unreasonable to think they were scared off by the level of dirt in Wall's recruitment.

"Very possible, but I'm sure we've gotten guys in dirty recruitments as well. That's college sports. I don't think there's any way a school can have the success we've had without at the very least bending the rules."

You do realize that you are being guilty of the same thing you say might be happening with other coaches? If you're good, you must be doing something dirty...

I can understand the logic. The top player in the class is from North Carolina and UNC shows little to no interest? Seems very odd. I am sure UNC is not above playing the game, but it is not unreasonable to think they were scared off by the level of dirt in Wall's recruitment.

You're right, it's not unreasonable. But if CBS is going to come out with that kind of hit piece and give it some authority by using anonymous coaches, they'd better find a more persuasive quote than one that you and I could dream up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom