Disappointed Houstonian | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Disappointed Houstonian

I have to agree with all4SU, I doubt if they are SU fans because they are not wearing SU Orange.They look like they are wearing " Burnt Orange" which I believe is Texas colors.
Or, as I like to call it, "Rust".

* I lived in TX for almost 8 years... I saw a lot of "Rust". How they refer to that as "burnt" orange is beyond me. Just like those Creamsicle [TM]-lovers in TN.

I want to preface this by saying I hope that you all of you who made the trek had a good time coming to Houston. I was pleasantly surprised how many fans were at the game even though it was a bit cold by Houston standards.

Anyways, leading up to the game I had almost zero opinion of either school and other than being pretty impressed with Syracuse basketball over the years I didn't care at all who won the game. Although I will admit that I was slightly leaned towards Syracuse after y'all had the better pregame pump up video.

However, after only about 10 minutes of sitting in the seats I got on stubhub on the MN side, a small but EXTREMELY vocal group of young Syracuse fans started causing a lot of problems. Almost constantly and exclusively there were shouts of "Minnesota sucks!" and other vanilla heckles making fun of accents etc. that served no purpose other than to irritate all of the MN fans. Interestingly though I heard almost nothing in support of Syracuse come out of their very loud mouths. Although I didn't see the whole thing, at the end of the game the jawing must have continued because one of the guys got into a physical pushing match near the aisle that likely would have come to blows had a more level fan not gotten between the two.

I know that this likely doesn't epitomize your entire fan base but I think it says a lot about in that your worst fans are capable of this, and your best fans (There were others in the area) aren't good enough to tell them to quite embarrassing themselves. In the case of a neutral observer it really only takes one bad apple to ruin the bunch. I imagine I was not the only Houstonian in the section who now has a lower opinion of your university as a result of these fans actions.

I uploaded a couple of pics should one of you be able to address with them how damaging that kind of behavior is to the university.

View attachment 6449
I lived in Houston my freshman year of HS. I remembered getting robbed and jumped by some thugs. Do I blame the city of Houston? Do those two fellas represent the entire city of Houston? Bottom line you have people that just dont know how to act. Its not a city thing or university thing. Everyone has over the top fans.

Last edited:
Two kids who aren't wearing Syracuse shirts. And aren't sitting on the Syracuse side of the field.

Obviously the obvious has been overlooked.

I live in the HTown metro area and attended the game on the Syracuse side. Minny fans sat behind us. They were obnoxious, belligerent and wrong on every play. This did not make me sad.

Later I moved down to the field level. The students in front of me were Minny fans on the Orange side. One claimed to be nephew to the Minny DC. They were drunk, belligerent, loud and supported their team. I was not sad.

I took it in stride and we all had fun...until the end when they were sad.

I want to preface this by saying I hope that you all of you who made the trek had a good time coming to Houston. I was pleasantly surprised how many fans were at the game even though it was a bit cold by Houston standards.

Anyways, leading up to the game I had almost zero opinion of either school and other than being pretty impressed with Syracuse basketball over the years I didn't care at all who won the game. Although I will admit that I was slightly leaned towards Syracuse after y'all had the better pregame pump up video.

However, after only about 10 minutes of sitting in the seats I got on stubhub on the MN side, a small but EXTREMELY vocal group of young Syracuse fans started causing a lot of problems. Almost constantly and exclusively there were shouts of "Minnesota sucks!" and other vanilla heckles making fun of accents etc. that served no purpose other than to irritate all of the MN fans. Interestingly though I heard almost nothing in support of Syracuse come out of their very loud mouths. Although I didn't see the whole thing, at the end of the game the jawing must have continued because one of the guys got into a physical pushing match near the aisle that likely would have come to blows had a more level fan not gotten between the two.

I know that this likely doesn't epitomize your entire fan base but I think it says a lot about in that your worst fans are capable of this, and your best fans (There were others in the area) aren't good enough to tell them to quite embarrassing themselves. In the case of a neutral observer it really only takes one bad apple to ruin the bunch. I imagine I was not the only Houstonian in the section who now has a lower opinion of your university as a result of these fans actions.

I uploaded a couple of pics should one of you be able to address with them how damaging that kind of behavior is to the university.

View attachment 6449

I want to preface this by saying that I used to play with the Houston Oilers a LOT on Tecmo Super Bowl. Very high powered offense. Fantastic video game team, and thus I've generally never had anything against Houston.

However, during a bad football season, a large and EXTREMELY vocal group of Texans fans started causing a lot of problems. The Texans starting Quarterback Matt Schaub was injured, and the Texans fans cheered loudly! Celebrated an injury! That would be bad enough if it was to an opponent, but it's even worse when it's one of their own. A month later when Schaub was put into a game, he was promptly booed loudly.

I know that this likely doesn't epitomize your entire fan base, but I think it says a lot about in that like 70,000 of your worst fans are capable of this, and your best fans(I'm sure there were a few hundred in the stadium) aren't good enough to tell them to quit embarrassing themselves. I imagine I am not the only football fan in the country who now has a lower opinion of the Houston sports fanbase as a result of these fans actions.

I googled a pic should you be able to address with them how damaging that kind of behavior is to the city.

reliant_580.jpg

I want to preface this by saying that I used to play with the Houston Oilers a LOT on Tecmo Super Bowl. Very high powered offense. Fantastic video game team, and thus I've generally never had anything against Houston.

However, during a bad football season, a large and EXTREMELY vocal group of Texans fans started causing a lot of problems. The Texans starting Quarterback Matt Schaub was injured, and the Texans fans cheered loudly! Celebrated an injury! That would be bad enough if it was to an opponent, but it's even worse when it's one of their own. A month later when Schaub was put into a game, he was promptly booed loudly.

I know that this likely doesn't epitomize your entire fan base, but I think it says a lot about in that like 70,000 of your worst fans are capable of this, and your best fans(I'm sure there were a few hundred in the stadium) aren't good enough to tell them to quit embarrassing themselves. I imagine I am not the only football fan in the country who now has a lower opinion of the Houston sports fanbase as a result of these fans actions.

I googled a pic should you be able to address with them how damaging that kind of behavior is to the city.

reliant_580.jpg
freaking hilarious

If you're this sad about what 2 drunks yelled, I'm just curious as to what your opinion of Penn State is.

or Ohio State...

He might break down in tears if we ever had to experience those degenerates.

You obviously weren't aware that Syracuse games are basically a perpetual fight club. You might have to take on an old grandpa, a hulking fattie, a mother of four, a scholar athlete ... you just never know but you DO know you will have to fight them. In any instance, we don't talk about it.

I have to ask the OP, how was your first sporting event? Seriously, a couple of jokers taunted opposing fans and fisticuffs almost broke out?

All kidding aside, I have been going to professional and college sporting events since the 70s and can honestly say that it is unusual to not have some obnoxious fans that cause problems. (Anyone ever go to an MLB old-school, daytime doubleheader in July/August? If so, how many fights broke out by midway through the second game?) If boorish behavior is allowed to persist in a crowed, it points to an usher/security problem, not a complete fanbase.

Btw, I'm sure there are plenty of examples of terrible fan behavior at Texas youth football games, if you care to Google it.

them there is those same dang punks i saw pissing on the alamo. and if i could darn photoshop i'd prove it.

Last edited:

reliant_580.jpg
checkmated2.jpg

reliant_580.jpg

This is fantastic.

I wouldn't feel bad about a couple of fans at a game. Happens at our home games in the Dome too. You should have heard this drunk sitting behind me at the BC game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom