Disappointed Houstonian | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Disappointed Houstonian

Hey sadtexan

Your experience at the bowl game was soured by a couple of ruffians.

You should feel sad.

Texans+Broncos+Fans++054.jpg

This is how Houston fans behave on customer appreciation day 2013

I hate it when people stand up in front of me at the dome... I have to put down my knitting so i can address the situation! Excuse me sir...

I want to preface this by saying I hope that you all of you who made the trek had a good time coming to Houston. I was pleasantly surprised how many fans were at the game even though it was a bit cold by Houston standards.

Anyways, leading up to the game I had almost zero opinion of either school and other than being pretty impressed with Syracuse basketball over the years I didn't care at all who won the game. Although I will admit that I was slightly leaned towards Syracuse after y'all had the better pregame pump up video.

However, after only about 10 minutes of sitting in the seats I got on stubhub on the MN side, a small but EXTREMELY vocal group of young Syracuse fans started causing a lot of problems. Almost constantly and exclusively there were shouts of "Minnesota sucks!" and other vanilla heckles making fun of accents etc. that served no purpose other than to irritate all of the MN fans. Interestingly though I heard almost nothing in support of Syracuse come out of their very loud mouths. Although I didn't see the whole thing, at the end of the game the jawing must have continued because one of the guys got into a physical pushing match near the aisle that likely would have come to blows had a more level fan not gotten between the two.

I know that this likely doesn't epitomize your entire fan base but I think it says a lot about in that your worst fans are capable of this, and your best fans (There were others in the area) aren't good enough to tell them to quite embarrassing themselves. In the case of a neutral observer it really only takes one bad apple to ruin the bunch. I imagine I was not the only Houstonian in the section who now has a lower opinion of your university as a result of these fans actions.

I uploaded a couple of pics should one of you be able to address with them how damaging that kind of behavior is to the university.

View attachment 6449
I'll answer the OP's comments. Upstate NY fans are very passionate and we are from a culture that doesn't mesh well with the rest of the states. Like or not, this is reality. We are a minor bunch but a very vocal and die hard bunch. This is not to mean we are not nice people, just misunderstood. SU anything is very important in Syracuse and we take it personally when we are disrespected. I'm not excusing the behavior of the fans you encountered, just trying to help you understand the mindset we have. So with that said, chalk it up to a couple bad apples. Every team across America has them. All we want is for Syracuse to win, just like everyone else's fans. Doggone it, we have a friggin good team and football program! Time for people to take notice!

In all seriousness, what did you Houstonians think of the UConn basketball fans that showed up there earlier this week? I'm sure they were a kind and gentle bunch, for sure. Especially in the hotels and restaurants after the game.

If they aren't wearing Syracuse gear, and weren't cheering for Syracuse I'd venture to guess they weren't Syracuse fans. The cheers of "Minnesota sucks!" Might make them self loathing gopher fans but the burnt orange attire would lead to believe they're longhorn fans who got cheap tickets and showed up to start trouble. Honestly, nothing about those guys looks Northeastern or even Northern. Theyre probably drunken townies.

Based on your logic I can assume that every team syracuse has ever faced has,likewise, classless fans.

I want to preface this by saying I hope that you all of you who made the trek had a good time coming to Houston. I was pleasantly surprised how many fans were at the game even though it was a bit cold by Houston standards.

Anyways, leading up to the game I had almost zero opinion of either school and other than being pretty impressed with Syracuse basketball over the years I didn't care at all who won the game. Although I will admit that I was slightly leaned towards Syracuse after y'all had the better pregame pump up video.

However, after only about 10 minutes of sitting in the seats I got on stubhub on the MN side, a small but EXTREMELY vocal group of young Syracuse fans started causing a lot of problems. Almost constantly and exclusively there were shouts of "Minnesota sucks!" and other vanilla heckles making fun of accents etc. that served no purpose other than to irritate all of the MN fans. Interestingly though I heard almost nothing in support of Syracuse come out of their very loud mouths. Although I didn't see the whole thing, at the end of the game the jawing must have continued because one of the guys got into a physical pushing match near the aisle that likely would have come to blows had a more level fan not gotten between the two.

I know that this likely doesn't epitomize your entire fan base but I think it says a lot about in that your worst fans are capable of this, and your best fans (There were others in the area) aren't good enough to tell them to quite embarrassing themselves. In the case of a neutral observer it really only takes one bad apple to ruin the bunch. I imagine I was not the only Houstonian in the section who now has a lower opinion of your university as a result of these fans actions.

I uploaded a couple of pics should one of you be able to address with them how damaging that kind of behavior is to the university.

View attachment 6449

Who cares. Every live game you go to ANYWHERE, with ANY fanbase, has it's share of idiots. Get over it.

The only thing that could have made this thread better would have been if those two were recognizable fans from this board. That would have been awesome.

Yeah that would have been classic!

I think posting a photo on the internet is just as juvenile as what the SMALL group of fans did at the game.

View attachment 6449
And now you try to put this monkey on ours and the University's , befofe we refuse to take said monkey, have you any suggestions on how the University, or this Board in particular , should address that. I've grown up known it is a fools errand to attempt to control things that inherently cannot be controlled, so I am puzzled at what you hope to accomplish with your diatribe.

99% sure the guy on the right is wearing burnt orange. As another poster mentioned that's the wrong color. My guess is that it was a game in their area to watch and some beers to be drank. Weird thing to post about though. Seems like a lot of work to locate a Syracuse forum make a name and post a long and stupid post.

Last edited:
99% sure the guy on the right is wearing burnt orange. As another poster mentioned that's the wrong color. My guess is that it was a game in there area to watch and some beers to be drank. Weird thing to post about though. Seems like a lot of work to locate a Syracuse forum make a name and post a long and stupid post.

This guy would have had a better chance at accomplishing whatever it is he wanted to accomplish if he didn't post the picture of the non-Syracuse fans.

Minnesota does suck.

In the week leading up to game, I had to hear how they deserved better than us. How they beat northwestern and penn state and we lost to them, so through transitive property they will beat us. Yada, yada, yada.

The dudes in the photos were right, they suck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom