Do we have a weight room ? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Do we have a weight room ?

When you look at how much bigger and stronger Jimmy B is now in his junior year compared to when he was a freshmen, you have to wonder what is going on with Marek and Sidibe.

The training, like the rest of the program, appears to be a little stale. Again it is what it is until JB taps out.

The training, like the rest of the program, appears to be a little stale. Again it is what it is until JB taps out.
GMAC never lifted a weight during his time at SU. At most schools weight lifting is mandatory. I’m not sure if that’s the case at SU. JB has never been one to make anyone to do something they don’t want to do off the court. I thought Bucknell and Cornell made our players look tiny. Don’t even try to compare a Virginia and OSU.

GMAC never lifted a weight during his time at SU. At most schools weight lifting is mandatory. I’m not sure if that’s the case at SU. JB has never been one to make anyone to do something they don’t want to do off the court. I thought Bucknell and Cornell made our players look tiny. Don’t even try to compare a Virginia and OSU.
JB's hands off approach is probably one thing that has historically attracted players. However, just like toddler that doesn't know what best for them, I would think it hinders the development of anyone that isn't self motivated.

It’s been a real problem since he’s rarely ever here during summers to be work out.

Wasn’t the prior S&C for basketball named Corey Parker? He’s still at SU but working as S&C director with SU’s Olympic team sports.
No Corey never did basketball. He did football years ago and should do the basketball cause he knows his shiiiiiit. He is a no bullsht guy who makes his kids work hard. Great man and brilliant training kids. From speed work to diet he knows it all. Would absolutely love him in the basketball weight room.

No Corey never did basketball. He did football years ago and should do the basketball cause he knows his shiiiiiit. He is a no bullsht guy who makes his kids work hard. Great man and brilliant training kids. From speed work to diet he knows it all. Would absolutely love him in the basketball weight room.

corey absolutely did do basketball.

There is no reason for Marek to weigh the same as he did his freshman year. Normal physical development alone should have caused him to gain weight. Either the S&C staff absolutely suck or guys are just lazy about getting the right nutrition and putting in the work to change their bodies.

Everytime I hear a commentator talk about how some guy from another team has changed their body to become stronger and play more physical, I shake my head. When is the last time we've said that about a player?
Very frustrating. Seeing guys like Chukwu, Marek, Sidibe, Baye Keita, etc. look the exact same after 3-4 years in the program really makes me think we don’t have a S&C program. There’s a reason veteran big men are supposed to dominate freshmen bigs - strength. A 22 year old with 3 additional years in the weight room has a huge advantage over an 18 year old kid who just finished high school. We don’t see that at SU. Even DaJuan was basically the same person after 5 years. 5 years!

As a data point, I was always a skinny kid in high school and I never lighted weights. Was busy playing multiple sports. When I got to college, my coaches told me they wanted me to put on 25 pounds through our S&C program. During my first 15 months in college, I gained 55 lbs of “good weight” and was a completely transformed athlete.

I have a really hard time thinking Sidibe or Marek physically can’t put on 30 lbs over 2 years. It’s not a “high metabolism” problem - those are over exaggerated in terms of caloric burn.

Hire Will Hicks!!!

30 something posts into a thread about hoops players’ inability to gain mass and nobody’s made a Will Hicks crack!?!? :rolleyes:

Agree, he was definitely a trainer for the basketball team. He was in all the basketball team pictures from 1996-1997 through 2001-2002. After that he become involved in Mike Gerber’s ‘strength in motion‘ a private business catering to training local athletes before returning to SU. He’s in the basketball team pictures linked below starting in 1996-1997.

Sorry but he was definitely a trainer for the basketball team. He was even in all the basketball team pictures from 1996-1997 through 2001-2002. After that he become involved in Mike Gerber’s ‘strength in motion‘ a private business catering to training local athletes before returning to SU. He’s in each of the basketball team pictures linked below starting in 1996-1997 till 2001-2.

There is no reason for Marek to weigh the same as he did his freshman year. Normal physical development alone should have caused him to gain weight. Either the S&C staff absolutely suck or guys are just lazy about getting the right nutrition and putting in the work to change their bodies.

Everytime I hear a commentator talk about how some guy from another team has changed their body to become stronger and play more physical, I shake my head. When is the last time we've said that about a player?
You would think with Tully’s tenders before every home game it would do the trick to add mass.

Ugggh it is just terrible nutrition before a game and they decided Fab Melo freshmen year to add chicken wings to their pre-game routine!
So dumb.

Last edited:
I swore he didn’t but maybe. I know soccer and lacrosse wanted him to but maybe I’m wrong. When did he.

Sorry but he was definitely a trainer for the basketball team. He was even in all the basketball team pictures from 1996-1997 through 2001-2002. After that he become involved in Mike Gerber’s ‘strength in motion‘ a private business catering to training local athletes before returning to SU. He’s in each of the basketball team pictures linked below starting in 1996-1997 till 2001-2.
Ok I didn’t know that. My son trained with him for years. Always mentioned football but never working for basketball team. Live and learn I guess. Well they need him again I will tell ya that.

Very frustrating. Seeing guys like Chukwu, Marek, Sidibe, Baye Keita, etc. look the exact same after 3-4 years in the program really makes me think we don’t have a S&C program. There’s a reason veteran big men are supposed to dominate freshmen bigs - strength. A 22 year old with 3 additional years in the weight room has a huge advantage over an 18 year old kid who just finished high school. We don’t see that at SU. Even DaJuan was basically the same person after 5 years. 5 years!

As a data point, I was always a skinny kid in high school and I never lighted weights. Was busy playing multiple sports. When I got to college, my coaches told me they wanted me to put on 25 pounds through our S&C program. During my first 15 months in college, I gained 55 lbs of “good weight” and was a completely transformed athlete.

I have a really hard time thinking Sidibe or Marek physically can’t put on 30 lbs over 2 years. It’s not a “high metabolism” problem - those are over exaggerated in terms of caloric burn.
Yeah and even then they should be able to gain 5 -8 lbs of muscle each year no matter your amount u burn. Just add more good protein and good carbs if u ain’t adding muscle. Weight gain isn’t rocket science. U don’t want bad gains. U figure hat u burn or what body type u are and do your diet accordingly. My god son had to eat 6000 calories a day to add muscle. My son can’t eat a lot of carbs cause he I’ll gain fat and muscle so each kid has their own system or should have.

Syracuse Basketball's S&C is bad. I've beat this drum for years. Boeheim's loyalty is to a fault and this is the type of player he's recruited. If you think they look small on television, they're lankier up close and personal. I'm not saying that the program needs to have a S&C program like Florida did (they had guys looking like they could put pads on), but the fact that guys haven't gotten stronger and grown into their bodies is troubling.

Ok I didn’t know that. My son trained with him for years. Always mentioned football but never working for basketball team. Live and learn I guess. Well they need him again I will tell ya that.

My son did too for a while in the early 2000’s. He enjoyed it - many multi sport athletes like Paulus etc worked out there too. Most of the speed, vertical, strength, obstacle, coordination, agility etc workouts and tests were applicable to most sports. He actually worked with athletes from all different types of athletic teams including baseball, soccer, softball, track, basketball and football etc. He’s currently SU’s assistant director trainer for their Olympic teams,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom