Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to? | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to?

Do you think Boeheim has a set retirement date that he will stick to?

• Yes

Votes: 20 8.8%
  • No

Votes: 208 91.2%

• Total voters
In another year or two or 5 or 10, people will pine for where we are today with the coach we have and the standing we have in the league. Watch. I've seen this movie many times before.

I appreciate what we've got here, warts and all. He's not wrong.
In what movie do fans pine for a 90 year old coach who hasn’t been able to get his team into the top 25 for 20 years?

I haven’t seen that one. Do they run it on the Hallmark Channel, because I don’t watch that channel.

In what movie do fans pine for a 90 year old coach who hasn’t been able to get his team into the top 25 for 20 years?

I haven’t seen that one. Do they run it on the Hallmark Channel, because I don’t watch that channel.
soon to be on the history channel?

I've thought about that as well but then I think about my sister and brother in law, Villanova alums. For 10+ years I hear nothing from them about college basketball, then Villanova goes on a nice run, and they're diehards.

Most fans are not like us who spend hours on a forum. We start winning again, and cuse fandom will grow, I think easily.

My point was more to us being Top 20-30ME type of team. Sure Nova type of runs will bring them in. But what if we are a program like 2004-2009? Those teams went to only 2 S16s and had 2 NITs. None of those were top of the conference squads. Is that enough to get these younger alumni to buy in?

Loyola, Butler, VCU and George Mason were all in mid major conferences when they made the Final Four.
You are missing the point.Nobody said a mid major couldn’t win the championship.

Good lord….to who ever manages JB’s Twitter account. Remove the GD quotation marks.
You cut and paste what is inside the quotes, you don’t leave them in.

Such a train wreck. Might as well have Wildhack sign it while you’re at it.

Last edited:
I've thought about that as well but then I think about my sister and brother in law, Villanova alums. For 10+ years I hear nothing from them about college basketball, then Villanova goes on a nice run, and they're diehards.

Most fans are not like us who spend hours on a forum. We start winning again, and cuse fandom will grow, I think easily.
We'll see. Have 14 & 15 year old boys that have been going to the Dome for a decade and they don't give a single crap about Cuse basketball while I was fully locked in at their age.

Good lord….to who ever manages JB’s Twitter account. Remove the GD quotation marks.
You cut and paste what is inside the quotes, you don’t leave them in.

Such a train wreck.
Wait… so you’re saying Jim doesn’t log in to his Tweeter and start pecking at the keyboard with his pointer fingers. While yelling at Juli to bring him his readers because he can’t see the damn screen.

Probably should be it’s own thread, but I’m lazy.

For the folks like RF2044 who want a clean break after JB leaves (I’m one of those people by the way), pretend you’re part of the hiring committee. Is there anything that our current assistants could say during their interviews that would give you pause and allow them to continue in the process?

I‘m having a hard time thinking of any, and I also fear I might not believe them.

is there anything from the article with Thamel that JB didn't walk back on? LOL my god.

For the folks like RF2044 who want a clean break after JB leaves (I’m one of those people by the way), pretend you’re part of the hiring committee. Is there anything that our current assistants could say during their interviews that would give you pause and allow them to continue in the process?

I‘m having a hard time thinking of any, and I also fear I might not believe them.
I know a ton of stuff that has gone on here that you don't want to get out so give me the gig. Kidding...sort of.

I would give Red a fair shake. I would ask him about where he sees the program in the next 5 years, who is on his bench, etc. Where has Syracuse been lacking and how would he improve it. What are the biggest challenges... what does he need for the admin etc.

I would tell Gerry that his jersey sure looks great up there, but it's not time to take the HC job. Fine with him as an asst to Red.

However I would be hard pressed to not bring in an outsider completely. JB, fingers crossed, isn't kicking the bucket any time soon, so I imagine he will be in the ear of someone from his tree/family. Nor would I blame him. Its all he knows.

I want to clarify my position - I don't have a problem with Red, GMac, or Hop being included in the list of candidates. I just want the University to perform due diligence, and hire the BEST coach that we possibly can. If Wildhack does that, and we can't scare any candidates up who are better than the ones already here [which would be nearly impossible to believe], then there's your outcome.

But I'm completely against artificially constraining the candidate pool based upon what amounts to a "nice to have" criteria [i.e., former ties to the program] over far more important "need to have criteria." If AW talks the talk about due diligence, then announces that the top 2 candidates are internal, I won't be happy.

Someone stated earlier in the last day that this decision is how Wildhack's tenure as AD for his alma mater will be judged. He'd better get it right. The way to do that is not to handcuff yourself to artificially limited options.

Hire the best coach you can. Period.

Last edited:
Here is where i stand.

I want Jim to coach next year and go out on a positive note. He deserves that.

I want Red or Gmac to be the next coach. I strongly believe that they deserve the opportunity and i also believe that you don't leave behind 50 years of JBs tree.

I want to clarify my position - I don't have a problem with Red, GMac, or Hop being included in the list of candidates. I just want the University to perform due diligence, and hire the BEST coach that we possibly can. If Wildhack does that, and we can't scare any candidates up who are better than the ones already here [which I would find difficult to believe], then there's your outcome.

But I'm completely against artificially constraining the candidate pool based upon what amounts to a "nice to have" criteria [i.e., former ties to the program] over far more important "need to have criteria."

Someone stated earlier in the last day that this decision is how Wildhack's tenure will be judged. He'd better get it right.
I think that's fair and what I would expect too. In the case of the lax jobs and women's basketball -- I genuinely believe the three alums there were likely the best candidates. Could debate on the women's bball side but I think Coach Jack has a strong track record and will build a program with strong morals and ethics, which we needed.

On the women's lax job -- if we didn't hire Kayla, she was getting hired by an ACC peer as a HC. I know that for a fact and I think she was the best for the job.

Gait is Gait.

I want to clarify my position - I don't have a problem with Red, GMac, or Hop being included in the list of candidates. I just want the University to perform due diligence, and hire the BEST coach that we possibly can. If Wildhack does that, and we can't scare any candidates up who are better than the ones already here [which I would find difficult to believe], then there's your outcome.

But I'm completely against artificially constraining the candidate pool based upon what amounts to a "nice to have" criteria [i.e., former ties to the program] over far more important "need to have criteria."

Someone stated earlier in the last day that this decision is how Wildhack's tenure will be judged. He'd better get it right.

This.

Plus, JB had his opportunity to tap the scepter to Hop's shoulder and decided not to do it, and then proceeded to ride the program down into mediocrity for numerous years and icing the cake with a vanity family-ball year. No offense to Red or Gmac, but he hasn't exactly left the table set for either of them - not in the slightest.

It should be a national search at this point and we should get the best candidate we can afford. You can't reward internally now based on how far the program has fallen. If they do that, it will mean they are doing it on the cheap and hoping for the best. I am not going to lie, I could see them doing this anyways.

I would support Red or Gmac either way for a fair shake of 3 years and hope either succeeds, of course, but that would be a small-time move by the school to go that route at this point.

Last edited:
Here is where i stand.

I want Red or Gmac to be the next coach. I strongly believe that they deserve the opportunity and i also believe that you don't leave behind 50 years of JBs tree.
Why does he deserve that? Why?

Why does he deserve that? Why?

Nostalgia.

JB is an all time great. He's also orchestrated a decline in program performance over a 9 year span, rapidly approaching a decade. And a year after producing the first losing season in his 47 year career, he's following it up with another poor season that's featured several behavioral meltdowns that have drawn embarrassing media coverage.

I don't want the legacy of one of my sports heroes to be defined by the final decade of program slippage, and I don't want to see his career end in a trainwreck because he can't keep his mouth shut, a la Bobby Knight. But the longer he hangs around, the more likely either [or both] of those things come to pass.

EDIT -- Let this sink in for a second -- for all of his accomplishments, despite being a HOFer and having 1000+ wins, the final 20% of his career he's only won about 58% of his games and is hovering around .500 in conference play. 20%!!!

Last edited:
Nostalgia.

JB is an all time great. He's also orchestrated a decline in program performance over a 9 year span, rapidly approaching a decade. And a year after producing the first losing season in his 47 year career, he's following it up with another poor season that's featured several behavioral meltdowns that have drawn embarrassing media coverage.

I don't want the legacy of one of my sports heroes to be defined by the final decade of program slippage, and I don't want to see his career end in a trainwreck because he can't keep his mouth shut, a la Bobby Knight. But the longer he hangs around, the more likely either [or both] of those things come to pass.
Feels too late, but I understand your position at least.

Here is where i stand.

I would replace "deserve" with earned, and I don't see how they've earned it at this point. If anything they've been afforded job security and dodged the nomadic coach lifestyle which they wouldn't be able to do anywhere else. They've have some serious job security that doesn't exist much in their profession. Gmac specifically hasn't gone out into the choaching world to grab any diverse coaching experiences and knowledge.

Also given the trend line of the program, isn't a clean break from the JB tree exactly what the program needs? How is continuing the zone and Iso O going to change the trajectory of the program? I don't see how you can sell a continuity hire at this point. JBs most hyped disciple is on the same trend line and working himself out of a job right now. I see nothing that differentiates those two enough from the other known benchmarks in JB and Hop to say they'd be any different outside of a more PR friendly post game presser.

I would replace "deserve" with earned, and I don't see how they've earned it at this point. If anything they've been afforded job security and dodged the nomadic coach lifestyle which they wouldn't be able to do anywhere else. They've have some serious job security that doesn't exist much in their profession. Gmac specifically hasn't gone out into the choaching world to grab any diverse coaching experiences and knowledge.

Also given the trend line of the program, isn't a clean break from the JB tree exactly what the program needs? How is continuing the zone and Iso O going to change the trajectory of the program? I don't see how you can sell a continuity hire at this point. JBs most hyped disciple is on the same trend line and working himself out of a job right now. I see nothing that differentiates those two enough from the other known benchmarks in JB and Hop to say they'd be any different outside of a more PR friendly post game presser.

Homerun post / analysis.

It would have been a different conversation 10 years ago, when the program trend was different and a continuity hire would have made sense. It might have even been a different conversation 5 years ago, even after Hop's departure.

But where we are today? The trend of decline requires an infusion of new blood / energy / ideas. We can't afford to let things slip even further.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom