Does the frustration of the fanbase even matter to the AD? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Does the frustration of the fanbase even matter to the AD?

I believe that it would be best if JB hung it up, but most outsiders don't view things like you and I. If Wildhack were to force him out against his will before JB tarnishes his own legacy, he'd be viewed as the bad guy by most national media. So far we haven't fallen far enough.
But... so what?

It’s beyond time, but that debate is old and has been debated for the last 7-8 years.

We are 15-15 and 9-10 in a 3-bid ACC.

We have lost to Colgate & VCU this season.

Name me another program that has had 8 (EIGHT) straight 10+ loss seasons and had a 77-year old resurrect to a Top 25 level.

It’s over. Not coming back with this coach. The quicker JB figures this fact out, the better off all SU fans (and my sanity) will be.

I believe that it would be best if JB hung it up, but most outsiders don't view things like you and I. If Wildhack were to force him out against his will before JB tarnishes his own legacy, he'd be viewed as the bad guy by most national media. So far we haven't fallen far enough. Now if Wildhack could quietly lay out the facts for JB and convince him to make the decision himself, that would be different.
We haven’t fallen far enough?!?! Have you taken a look at our last 8 seasons?

Hire Pitino. Be really good at basketball for 3-5 years while he’s here and build the brand back to a level where we’re respected nationally. Make a long term hire while the iron is hot.

Wake up from my dream.

Wildhack has stayed publicly that he appreviates how hard JB and his assistants work.. Hes not down on any of them. There are no changes coming.
There’s working hard and then there’s working smart.

I don’t get the attitude that we should give JB “one more year.”

JB said he intends to keep coaching ‘indefinitely.’

For what purpose? If we suck a little more, then what?
If we are exactly the same, then what?
If we improve by a game or two, then what?
None of the realistic results represent any sort of significant change or benefit. They don’t move the needle. Just prolonged limbo and mediocrity.

JAB earned his gift, and this year was that gift.

At some point, he’s going to have to be forced out, because he doesn’t seem to have any inclination to call it a day voluntarily, short of illness/impairment. And the more he gets asked about it and gets defiant about it, the more he confirms his intentions and handcuffs Wildhack. Actually, that’s already done…. He’s made Wildhack the bad guy by assuming control over the situation and if I were JW, I’d be a bit bothered by that.

I don’t get the attitude that we should give JB “one more year.”

JB said he intends to keep coaching ‘indefinitely.’

For what purpose? If we suck a little more, then what?
If we are exactly the same, then what?
If we improve by a game or two, then what?
None of the realistic results represent any sort of significant change or benefit. They don’t move the needle. Just prolonged limbo and mediocrity.

JAB earned his gift, and this year was that gift.

At some point, he’s going to have to be forced out, because he doesn’t seem to have any inclination to call it a day voluntarily, short of illness/impairment. And the more he gets asked about it and gets defiant about it, the more he confirms his intentions and handcuffs Wildhack. Actually, that’s already done…. He’s made Wildhack the bad guy by assuming control over the situation and if I were JW, I’d be a bit bothered by that.
I get the impression that JB is a bit like Colonel Nathan Jessup from A Few Good Men. He may have a similar reaction if they try to remove him.

No deal. Hop is 24-7 zone. We need to move on from that. I'm tired of getting waxed on the boards.

They are rarely on TV and when they are it is late so haven't seen them much to see what they have done all season. However before I passed out watching them tonight they were mixing man and zone vs. UCLA fwiw

After losing on the road in OT against a pretty strong North Carolina team, I think the AD sees frustration as passion.

Tonight is not the night to use this argument.
Unc isn't any good. Pitt waxed them at home.

After losing on the road in OT against a pretty strong North Carolina team, I think the AD sees frustration as passion.

Tonight is not the night to use this argument.
North Carolina is TEXTBOOK MEDIOCRE.
They are barely a NCAA tournament team.
My god look at the damn metrics.

Also listen to damn JB in the postgame complaining about all the minutes his guards had to play like it wasn’t the damn plan the entire team how he constructed the roster.
Then he complains ahout no Jesse like the world can’t remember all the complaints he has thrown at him.
Sorry but this stuff is really frustrating. The double speak and saying stuff is garbage.

I don’t want or advocate JB should be fired.
JB doesn’t want to retire and he isn’t getting it done. Wildhack needs him to make some changes or ask him to retire.
The status quo isn’t working.
JB says stuff because he is spinning a point to try and calm things down. Problem is JB is just saying things.
You don't think he should be fired? Well why? Because he isn't retiring so what other semantic/synonymous equivalent word for "retire" can we come up with to lessen the blow here for JB because I mean its all about him and his feelings at this point and not everything else that he's destroying around him. And what are these "changes" you speak of short of telling his recruiting assistants to walk into recruit's homes with a giant bag with a huge "$" on it?

Because the way i see it there are no changes short of solving the recruiting problem here that's persisted since the Lydon, Malachi freshman class and really since the Christmas class if you want to talk about inability to bring in a formidable center. What's that, a whole decade? Who wants to sprint from the basket to the corner to guard three point shooters? Can't say i blame them.

So I ask again, what are these "changes" people keep asking about? Bringing in other assistants who can recruit better? Like who? Who's going to do that? What names? The recruiting won't improve until this coach leaves, everybody knows that. Making any other "changes" besides recruiting is like asking for other areas of a Ferrari to be changed/improved when you keep putting a Fiat engine in it. Recruiting shortfalls are the problem here and they are not going to improve until the 77 year old leaves. Recruiting is the engine that drives everything. I love the guy and everything he's done for the program up until he's destroyed it relative to what it once was. To you JB loyalists I don't care anymore sorry, this is horrible what's going on these days with this program!

Last edited:
Hire Pitino. Be really good at basketball for 3-5 years while he’s here and build the brand back to a level where we’re respected nationally. Make a long term hire while the iron is hot.

Wake up from my dream.
Have Rick do sleazy things to get recruits, and the gets caught and fired right when he is going to retire.

Obviously ADJW is aware of the unique dynamics surrounding JB. That said people make it sound like this is just a ADJW issue. This is a ADJW, Chancellor and likely BoT navigated decision given circumstances and salary. I feel pretty confident in saying if ADJW thinks it's time than he will get the backing of the Chancellor and it would be handled as hopefully leaders who are expected to make tough decisions to handle it if the more desirable paths are not taken by JB in this case. I don't say that to diminish JB and I do appreciate everything he has done for the university, program and community but the tail doesn't wag the dog here.

The A.D. is in charge of athletics. The chancellor and the board of trustees would be in charge of approving contracts.
This situation is on Wildhack. He handled football so well he deserves major props.
We all see the status quo is not working.
This season should have been the gift to JB that Wildhack can go in there and demand changes.

JB's world.....
A team doesn't need more than 1 defense...
A team doesn't need to box out.....
A team doesn't need a bench of more than 2 guys...
A team doesn't need to look to run...
A team doesn't need to be proficient passing the ball...
A team doesn't need more than 1 out of bounds play...

Wildhack has been a disappointment
Disagree. Football coaching changes show he is willing to be creative and willing to pump a losing program with money to try and win. Basketball is very complicated and we need to wait to hear what he says after the season.

Kids played their guts out tonight. This thread blows.
This discussion deserves to be in play 24/7.

A Cinderella Story miracle ACCT title and Sweet 16 won't even change the narrative for me.
NOTHING can change my mind at this point: Time for a change!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom