Dome Renovation | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovation

We need to stop worrying about how Dome renovations and possible new hotels might enhance our chances of getting a Final 4. Least of my concerns. We need to hope it's a shot in the back for our programs that play in the Dome.
If you are going to do a major reno...then do it right. It is absolutely correct they should build items in the hope of hosting the F4. There is a backlash to playing the F4 in 75k seat Domes...the new Carrier Dome could be in play for a F4 in the future.

$400-500mil is a lot of beans for renovating. You'd probably get more bang for your buck starting over, no? The dome has very little architectural value—don't think many people would care if it were razed. And I'm saying that as someone who once considered a degree in Historical Preservation.

Hotel would make sense actually, closer to campus then the Sheraton and it wouldn't be semi used for student housing

A. Closer to campus than the Sheraton is? Pretty sure the Sheraton is in the perfect spot. This hotel MAYBE better than the Sheraton for about 5 days out of the year. Im thinking 2 or 3 football games and 2 or 3 Sat bball games.
B. If the sheraton is still being used for student housing - I would bet my life savings, any of those rooms would be moved to the Dome Hotel the SECOND it opened.

Stadiums that host FFs have 60K plus people in them on the light side. You need A LOT more real big hotel space.

Stadiums that host FFs have 60K plus people in them on the light side. You need A LOT more real big hotel space.

I believe the "rule" is 40k and it was upped from 30k and 1 point. at 1 point (although I can't find it anywhere) I saw that referenced as "syracuse rule" to keep the final 4 out of Syracuse. I wouldn't be all that surprised to see them up it to 50k if we build something that could seat 45k for bball.

TexanMark said:
If you are going to do a major reno...then do it right. It is absolutely correct they should build items in the hope of hosting the F4. There is a backlash to playing the F4 in 75k seat Domes...the new Carrier Dome could be in play for a F4 in the future.

I'm not against it. I just don't think Syracuse has the appeal in terms of nightlife, restaurants, hotels, etc. We all love Syracuse. But the national media would have a field day if Syracuse ever landed the Final 4.

I believe the "rule" is 40k and it was upped from 30k and 1 point. at 1 point (although I can't find it anywhere) I saw that referenced as "syracuse rule" to keep the final 4 out of Syracuse. I wouldn't be all that surprised to see them up it to 50k if we build something that could seat 45k for bball.

2016: Houston
2017: Phoenix
2018: San Antonio
2019: Minneapolis
2020: Atlanta
2021: Indianapolis

Looks like they'll be using the bigger football stadiums & cities for a while

2016: Houston
2017: Phoenix
2018: San Antonio
2019: Minneapolis
2020: Atlanta
2021: Indianapolis

Looks like they'll be using the bigger football stadiums for a while

Is there anything other than a football stadium that holds 30k+?

Maybe the "rule" was originally a "dome" back in 1997 - and then when talks of Syracuse wanting it, they raised the minimum to 40k - because it probably only affected 1 place in the entire country - the Carrier Dome.

I'm not against it. I just don't think Syracuse has the appeal in terms of nightlife, restaurants, hotels, etc. We all love Syracuse. But the national media would have a field day if Syracuse ever landed the Final 4.

Syracuse, NY is never going to host a Mens Hoops Final Four.

Eastern Regional Finals, other events maybe.

Syracuse, NY is never going to host a Mens Hoops Final Four.

Eastern Regional Finals, other events maybe.
As it stands with big Domes yes...but there is talk of downsizing the facilities.

Is there anything other than a football stadium that holds 30k+?

Maybe the "rule" was originally a "dome" back in 1997 - and then when talks of Syracuse wanting it, they raised the minimum to 40k - because it probably only affected 1 place in the entire country - the Carrier Dome.

The NCAA doesn't think of the Dome as a small football stadium, they think of it as a large arena. Perfect for Sweet 16's and 1st/2nd rounders.

Add 80 floors to the Crowne Plaza.

Sure, you'd wait 1-3 hours for an elevator, but you'd have a roof over your head.

The NCAA doesn't think of the Dome as a small football stadium, they think of it as a large arena. Perfect for Sweet 16's and 1st/2nd rounders.

Sounds like a final 4 is officially out

When evaluating prospective hosts, the committee will review each city’s competition venue, transportation and lodging, and the region’s overall commitment to the event. Venues must hold a minimum of 60,000 fans, and host cities or regions must be able to provide at least 10,000 full-service hotel rooms within reasonable proximity to the competition venue.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2013-09-19/mens-final-four-bid-process-under-way

GoSU96 said:
If they spend that much money on a reburb, that's nuts.

Well, guessing it would cost twice that much to build something brand, spanking new on the same footprint. And it appears they want to keep it there. This is going to be more than just another Dome.

CusefanATL said:
There are other options, no?

Don't get the sense there is much else being considered now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom