Dome Renovation | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovation

Hydraulic stands that close in (or raise up/lower) around the basketball court is literally all I care about. Is this happening?

Personally, I think the retractable roof idea is unnecessary. It can be used for like 3 football games each season? Considering the loudness of the Dome used to be one of the bigger advantages we had (when it was packed), it seems odd to want to do away with that.

I hope they keep the basic seating structure as is. Having watched games in multiple stadiums I love watching games at the Dome. You are so close to the field and its so compact with excellent site lines. Please keep that !!

you guys are funny.

F4 at Syracuse...classic.

this new stadium venue is certainly awesome.

hope it comes to fruition though.

but yeah, id fire SS right away and tell the new guy that you got a free pass for a year or 2.

more games at GIANTS STADIUM!!!!

More games in Jersey!! YAY. Can't even have a Super Bowl in NY...

indianapolis is an auto racing mecca
Atlanta was an important Civil War Site
Minneapolis contains over 20 lakes
Phoenix Is hot
San Antonio was is near Mexico did i get it
This isn't a stadium photo, but Indianapolis has made some nice changes:

Indianapolis1b.jpg

http://www.takepart.com/article/201...ikes-and-walking?cmpid=tpdaily-eml-2015-10-28

Last edited:
MSG was renovated for a Billion in NYC. I guess you would consider this an upstate discount. They renovated the Ralph for 130 million and they did nothing to the existing structure. All they did was update current amenities. A new Stadium even upstate would be a billion dollars.

What?

MSG was renovated for a Billion in NYC. I guess you would consider this an upstate discount. They renovated the Ralph for 130 million and they did nothing to the existing structure. All they did was update current amenities. A new Stadium even upstate would be a billion dollars.

You could build two for a billion

Not arguing that. Need big big hotels near the venue. It's a lot of people, that's all I am saying.

And you might not need a Ritz and JW, but I seriously doubt a town where the high end hotels are the remodeled Hotel Syracuse, a Crown Plaza and a Courtyard is getting a final four.

It's just not happening.

What?

My bad, 307 million to renovate MSG in 2013. 130 for the Ralph. If they were to scrap everything and build new, I still think you are looking at over 500 million between New Construction and Demolition.

In the new plan, I hope that the assistant football coaches and coordinators still have to walk through the stands to get to the booth after halftime. This set up provides fans the opportunity to give excellent feedback to them on their play calling decisions. The support that they receive from the fans is inspirational :)

That is the other side of the coin, cut bait and tell the new guy if you can get the ship moving right direction first 2 years and then when dome reopens- look out.

I just think it will be very difficult for anyone with no home stadium next year but oh well. It's another built in defense for Shafer's army though. I just want to know when we can call a duck a duck.

bingo

Hydraulic stands that close in (or raise up/lower) around the basketball court is literally all I care about. Is this happening?

Personally, I think the retractable roof idea is unnecessary. It can be used for like 3 football games each season? Considering the loudness of the Dome used to be one of the bigger advantages we had (when it was packed), it seems odd to want to do away with that.

You invest that kind of money that facility is going to be booked as close to 365 as possible, that's why you have a roof. Not six/seven football games, but six/seven football games, soccer, lax, summer tourneys, pro soccer/lax, spring, summer, fall concerts.

Who said anything about a generic box? The reason you would go there is multiple, but a big one would be that you could build out on a blank canvas anything but a "generic box".

I could be incorrect, but I think china's point was not in the literal sense, but the fact that so many cities today (much bigger than Syracuse to boot) have a stand alone stadium -state of the art- Uptown/Downtown where nothing really separates it from the other or makes it unique. The Dome being on campus is very unique in and of itself, SU can capitalize on that and truly make it a one of a kind...an intimate gem. Maybe not the biggest, best, etc. as no way can it compete with the Cowboys stadium, or the Mercedes Benz jewel being built in Atlanta, but on a different scale, SU's (renovated) dome can truly be unique as well as impressive.

Last edited:
You invest that kind of money that facility is going to be booked as close to 365 as possible, that's why you have a roof. Not six/seven football games, but six/seven football games, soccer, lax, summer tourneys, pro soccer/lax, spring, summer, fall concerts.

I just don't see the value added. The acoustics might be potentially better for concerts, but lax and soccer shouldn't be considerations because they don't draw enough fans (pro or collgiate). I don't want to sit outside for football games in November.

I seriously doubt the hotel part. There are several hotels under construction/planned in the downtown area. The SU Sheraton sells out for maybe four games a year: Family Weekend, Homecoming, LSU (or equivalent), FSU/Clemson. The price gets jacked up for those weekends, so you can figure a hotel overlooking the field to charge $400-500/night with two nights required. It would probably not meet operating costs on week days. I just don't see it happening.

I seriously doubt the hotel part. There are several hotels under construction/planned in the downtown area. The SU Sheraton sells out for maybe four games a year: Family Weekend, Homecoming, LSU (or equivalent), FSU/Clemson. The price gets jacked up for those weekends, so you can figure a hotel overlooking the field to charge $400-500/night with two nights required. It would probably not meet operating costs on week days. I just don't see it happening.

It sells out for hoop, at least for the big games.

Not to mention Sheraton is in a more desireable area. Staying at a hotel on the Irving side of the dome, eghhh

yep, I don't argue that. Doesn't make San Antonio nicer than Syracuse unless you're a fan of the Alamo and 110 degree heat
San Antonio for sports events is actually world class. The River Walk, historical sites, generally sunny skies and a short walk to the Alamo Dome are hard to beat.

BTW, it is only 105 in the summer :D

Also sells out for opening weekend of school and graduation. Someone mentioned that this may replace the Sheraton. That would make a ton of sense especially where the Sheraton is.

$400 million vs. original cost of $20 million (say about $90sh million in CYD). Shouldn't there be some point when Carrier has to say thanks for 35 years of pub and let someone else fork over naming right money?
Original cost was $26 million with $16 million coming from the state.

Are they really proposing to remove 3 walls? Or integrating other buildings via openings, walkways, doors? Anything on the exterior, does it really impact seating sight lines? U didn't take that article at all as tearing out the internal searing structure. Adding some boxes sure or maybe renovating some bleachers to seating but not a total redo to the basic inside structure.
I'm pretty sure exterior walls will be added to support the roof and the new concourse On three sides. I could really see this happening without losing too many games. I heard football will be moved for one season and that was it.

Not to mention Sheraton is in a more desireable area. Staying at a hotel on the Irving side of the dome, eghhh

Ha! Not according to 1 poster earlier on this thread! LOL.

Also sells out for opening weekend of school and graduation. Someone mentioned that this may replace the Sheraton. That would make a ton of sense especially where the Sheraton is.

I heard that the Sheraton space would be repurposed as some time of new student center type of a building. Again, not sure how good the source is as he was under the impression the dome would be torn down and a new stadium would be built somewhere else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom