Dome Renovation | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovation

If Brown's article is to be believed, he says the seating will be expanded. Even if it isn't, as others have said, the NCAA really likes to have its events hosted at on campus facilities, which is one of the reasons the Eastern regionals have been hosted more often at the Carrier Dome than at any other venue. Having the event at a relatively intimate on campus facility that was just renovated would be attractive. And it would give fans from the Northeastern part of the country their only chance to attend a Final Four in their region.

The link you provide actually says there are over 7000 hotel rooms in the detail. Looks like they didn't update the info on the bottom of the page. Add in the rooms at the new proposed hotel, the renovated Hotel Syracuse, the new hotel in the Syracuse Inner Harbor and the number should be close to 8000. There is no question that the number of hotel rooms in the area has grown markedly in recent years and that trend is likely to continue.
Also, that 10K number is based on hosting in an arena that holds 60K or more fans. All 10K might not be needed if the arena held 40 or 45K.

If the renovation happens, hosting a Final Four is possible. These are exciting times...

And dont get me wrong - this reno plan sounds AMAZING. I sincerely hope it happens.

But IMO hosting a final 4 is currently impossible and even with a state of the art, beautiful new "DOME" still a very very very longshot.

I think they will. The Dome has some unique things going for it...better sightlines than any other domed facility, its location on a college campus and its location in the Northeast.

Could be wrong. But I think there is chance for it to happen...

If they are planning on removing 3 walls, its a safe bet that the sight lines are going to be different.

Not picking on you, but this is the type of negativity we need to do away with in CNY. Way to many of us are way too Negative and have the belief we can't do big things here or can't solve problems. CNY must Evolve or die. Enough with the cant's here, we need people and ideas that get things done. If you choose to believe differently you'll be left behind.
And the only thing I'll add, I've traveled to a number of large and middle market cities. Although there might not be the multitude of areas to explore for night life, Armory Square holds its own with a number of other cities in terms of a night life area. Add in Destiny and there's a lot of nice places to spend a couple days/nights.

If you've been to one hole in the wall, you've been to them all. Same can be said for the touristy type bars that now dot Destiny's Canyon.

The point is that you could get a state of the art new multi-use/multi-configuration roofed facility for that much.

If they are talking about kicking out all the walls, why not just take it down to the foundation and build essentially new. And that is two year project.

All I'm saying is that is not the budget for a "refurb".

It sounds like the end product will be substantially different and better than what we have today, it's definitely not just putting in some new seating and some luxury boxes. Integrating the old with the new I think has some charm to it, a sense of continuity, so I like that idea in general. But I guess I'm prone to that since I just renovated and added on to a 200 year old house when I could have built new for less.

My objection is I guess not to what you are saying, but more to the idea that many have floated that we should build some generic box out by the mall - that is a terrible idea and this one is far far better for everyone. It would be nice if everyone were simply happy with this development that indicates a big time commitment to sports and to building on what makes Syracuse unique as a university.

I love the idea as a whole. The Dome is iconic imo. Lately, the negatives surrounding it may lend a voice to those trying to negatively recruit against us, but, this will take that component away.

On campus. Improvements, if all true, in all or the majority areas of concern that individuals have brought up over the years.

Artist renderings are going to go a long way once they're released.

And the only thing I'll add, I've traveled to a number of large and middle market cities. Although there might not be the multitude of areas to explore for night life, Armory Square holds its own with a number of other cities in terms of a night life area. Add in Destiny and there's a lot of nice places to spend a couple days/nights.

If you've been to one hole in the wall, you've been to them all. Same can be said for the touristy type bars that now dot Destiny's Canyon.
And you can always go snowmobiling!

I would hope that the team(s) hired to do the project will be some of the better ones in the country/world and will have plenty of experience doing these types of projects. Maybe not exactly like the one that is described as potentially happening - I don't think anything like this has ever been done to be honest - but other projects with weird prohibitive factors built in.

I'd rather take a look at the positive - the University is investing into the athletic department and more specifically the football and basketball programs. I'm very excited about this, regardless of how it all plays out in the short run.

Oh I agree, I think it's great but it will be a bit painful to get to the end product for a lot of people, not going to be easy on many fronts. I think they have a shot to make the dome a great great venue with a ton of curb appeal for everyone. I hope it flies, if they can get the money have at it, it's not my worry.

A job like this will bring in some heavy hitters, doesn't mean it will go well unless they bring at least their B team

Not sure how accurate it is, but my friend who works for the University stated that there has been talks of the Sheraton being torn down or remodeled and used for some type of student facility.

I wonder if that means starwood is a partner on the hotel side? I really hope so, love their products and have stayed in their hotels all over the world.

one concern though is that I think Hyatt is trying to take them out...I wonder where this project would fit priority wise under Hyatt leadership. The pritzkers like football, hopefully they will be on board.

I wonder if that means starwood is a partner on the hotel side? I really hope so, love their products and have stayed in their hotels all over the world.

one concern though is that I think Hyatt is trying to take them out...I wonder where this project would fit priority wise under Hyatt leadership. The pritzkers like football, hopefully they will be on board.

Yeah, you may be staying at Hyatt hotels sooner than later.

Some Domes with Windows

1397495624011-inidc5-63ave5pi3k913fn7q51f-original.jpg

130152109-the-sun-shines-through-the-windows-of-gettyimages.jpg

minnesota-vikings-US-Bank-stadium.jpg

0910.jpg

2017: Phoenix
2018: San Antonio
2019: Minneapolis
2020: Atlanta
2021: Indianapolis

Syracuse, NY

One of these things is not like the others.
indianapolis is an auto racing mecca
Atlanta was an important Civil War Site
Minneapolis contains over 20 lakes
Phoenix Is hot
San Antonio was is near Mexico did i get it

Last edited:
My objection is I guess not to what you are saying, but more to the idea that many have floated that we should build some generic box out by the mall - .

Who said anything about a generic box? The reason you would go there is multiple, but a big one would be that you could build out on a blank canvas anything but a "generic box".

CusefanATL said:
If they are planning on removing 3 walls, its a safe bet that the sight lines are going to be different.

Are they really proposing to remove 3 walls? Or integrating other buildings via openings, walkways, doors? Anything on the exterior, does it really impact seating sight lines? I didn't take that article at all as tearing out the internal seating structure. Adding some boxes sure or maybe renovating some bleachers to seating but not a total redo to the basic inside structure.

Last edited:
you guys are funny.

F4 at Syracuse...classic.

this new stadium venue is certainly awesome.

hope it comes to fruition though.

but yeah, id fire SS right away and tell the new guy that you got a free pass for a year or 2.

more games at GIANTS STADIUM!!!!

you guys are funny.

F4 at Syracuse...classic.

this new stadium venue is certainly awesome.

hope it comes to fruition though.

but yeah, id fire SS right away and tell the new guy that you got a free pass for a year or 2.

more games at GIANTS STADIUM!!!!

That is the other side of the coin, cut bait and tell the new guy if you can get the ship moving right direction first 2 years and then when dome reopens- look out.

I just think it will be very difficult for anyone with no home stadium next year but oh well. It's another built in defense for Shafer's army though. I just want to know when we can call a duck a duck.

Are they really proposing to remove 3 walls? Or integrating other buildings via openings, walkways, doors? Anything on the exterior, does it really impact seating sight lines? U didn't take that article at all as tearing out the internal searing structure. Adding some boxes sure or maybe renovating some bleachers to seating but not a total redo to the basic inside structure.

That for $400M dollars?

Yeesh.

$400-500mil is a lot of beans for renovating. You'd probably get more bang for your buck starting over, no? The dome has very little architectural value—don't think many people would care if it were razed. And I'm saying that as someone who once considered a degree in Historical Preservation.

MSG was renovated for a Billion in NYC. I guess you would consider this an upstate discount. They renovated the Ralph for 130 million and they did nothing to the existing structure. All they did was update current amenities. A new Stadium even upstate would be a billion dollars.

Are they really proposing to remove 3 walls? Or integrating other buildings via openings, walkways, doors? Anything on the exterior, does it really impact seating sight lines? U didn't take that article at all as tearing out the internal searing structure. Adding some boxes sure or maybe renovating some bleachers to seating but not a total redo to the basic inside structure.

I can't imagine us getting a final 4 with the current seating setup.

And I dont know how they can add seats at the same time of making the seats more comfortable without changing the internal seat structure.

So I read that, thinking it was a complete overhaul. Otherwise 400-500 million is a lot.

I can't imagine us getting a final 4 with the current seating setup.

And I dont know how they can add seats at the same time of making the seats more comfortable without changing the internal seat structure.

So I read that, thinking it was a complete overhaul. Otherwise 400-500 million is a lot.

It would be for that dollar figure and it needs it. I like the tie in ideas

yep, I don't argue that. Doesn't make San Antonio nicer than Syracuse unless you're a fan of the Alamo and 110 degree heat

Not arguing that. Need big big hotels near the venue. It's a lot of people, that's all I am saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom