Dome Renovation | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovation

I thought Miner was term limited.
My point was the Gov..essentially has aligned with Mahoney and if Consolidation (County/City) happens Mahoney has to be the frontrunner.

I just can't see Syracuse being able to raise that kind of money without state funding and bonds and these rumors and studies don't get this far without them sniffing around for money first.

I don't agree. These studies and renderings are typically used to raise that money. There may be some seed money to get motive that this is real, but the money often comes after the studies and concepts and into actual design. If SU had the cash, don't you think Nancy would have spent it on a new bus terminal, or free wifi for Clinton Square? She'd have built low income housing in the quad before saving it for Dome studies. I know we all hear and hope Coyle is a good fund raiser, but how can you explain Gross scratching for $10 million and our coaches can't be paid enough to keep them around and then less than three years later Syverud hands Coyle $400 million? And Cuomo is going around an entire municipality and it's voters to give half that $400 million to a private entity? Didn't Syverud say he was looking at this as a privately (University) funded thing anyway? Doesn't he want a med school? No inside here but I see the school going in for $200 million max. There are too many other projects he has in mind.

My point was the Gov..essentially has aligned with Mahoney and if Consolidation (County/City) happens Mahoney has to be the frontrunner.
Got it. FWIW my Dad played a significant role in Onondaga County actually having a County Executive position (early 60s).

I don't agree. These studies and renderings are typically used to raise that money. There may be some seed money to get motive that this is real, but the money often comes after the studies and concepts and into actual design. If SU had the cash, don't you think Nancy would have spent it on a new bus terminal, or free wifi for Clinton Square? She'd have built low income housing in the quad before saving it for Dome studies. I know we all hear and hope Coyle is a good fund raiser, but how can you explain Gross scratching for $10 million and our coaches can't be paid enough to keep them around and then less than three years later Syverud hands Coyle $400 million? And Cuomo is going around an entire municipality and it's voters to give half that $400 million to a private entity? Didn't Syverud say he was looking at this as a privately (University) funded thing anyway? Doesn't he want a med school? No inside here but I see the school going in for $200 million max. There are too many other projects he has in mind.
I work in Clinton square they already have free wifi :)

If Brown's article is to be believed, he says the seating will be expanded. Even if it isn't, as others have said, the NCAA really likes to have its events hosted at on campus facilities, which is one of the reasons the Eastern regionals have been hosted more often at the Carrier Dome than at any other venue. Having the event at a relatively intimate on campus facility that was just renovated would be attractive. And it would give fans from the Northeastern part of the country their only chance to attend a Final Four in their region.

The link you provide actually says there are over 7000 hotel rooms in the detail. Looks like they didn't update the info on the bottom of the page. Add in the rooms at the new proposed hotel, the renovated Hotel Syracuse, the new hotel in the Syracuse Inner Harbor and the number should be close to 8000. There is no question that the number of hotel rooms in the area has grown markedly in recent years and that trend is likely to continue.
Also, that 10K number is based on hosting in an arena that holds 60K or more fans. All 10K might not be needed if the arena held 40 or 45K.

If the renovation happens, hosting a Final Four is possible. These are exciting times...

If Brown's article is to be believed, he says the seating will be expanded. Even if it isn't, as others have said, the NCAA really likes to have its events hosted at on campus facilities, which is one of the reasons the Eastern regionals have been hosted more often at the Carrier Dome than at any other venue. Having the event at a relatively intimate on campus facility that was just renovated would be attractive. And it would give fans from the Northeastern part of the country their only chance to attend a Final Four in their region.

The link you provide actually says there are over 7000 hotel rooms in the detail. Looks like they didn't update the info on the bottom of the page. Add in the rooms at the new proposed hotel, the renovated Hotel Syracuse, the new hotel in the Syracuse Inner Harbor and the number should be close to 8000. There is no question that the number of hotel rooms in the area has grown markedly in recent years and that trend is likely to continue.
Also, that 10K number is based on hosting in an arena that holds 60K or more fans. All 10K might not be needed if the arena held 40 or 45K.

If the renovation happens, hosting a Final Four is possible. These are exciting times...

This is great news. Syracuse has a few things going for it that is unique: ON campus Dome is one of them. It sells students, student athletes and broadcasters on what makes Syracuse among the best universities in the country.

I'm glad the Chancellor sees it as well. If the expansion plans deliver this will be a truly great time to be a student and fan of the team(s).

One small detail i'm wondering about and it pertains to Archbold. I've seen in the past decade schools adding to the student experience by building spacious student unions with Lifetime Fitness like wellness areas. Is Syracuse planning something like this at Archbold or looking to expand Shine to allow non student athletes and opportunity to work out at a world class facility. Perhaps Archbold has been renovated since my time there in the early 90s but I would think that has to be part of the plan if Archbold is getting converted.

your economic viewpoint on this is incredibly short-sighted. This is such a win for the university, the sports programs, and ultimately the city. This chancellor gets it. We are lucky.

I can see where the renovation vs new stadium would fracture SU fans in two camps: Grads and fans. As a grad, i couldn't be more happier for the university to be undertaking this plan. I can see, and understand, if fans of the school (and not necessarily grads) would want the new stadium for logistics reasons. It cuts both ways and i get it from both sides.

I can see where the renovation vs new stadium would fracture SU fans in two camps: Grads and fans. As a grad, i couldn't be more happier for the university to be undertaking this plan. I can see, and understand, if fans of the school (and not necessarily grads) would want the new stadium for logistics reasons. It cuts both ways and i get it from both sides.

Any fan should understand how the sports programs fit into the unique culture and 'feel' of the school. Having the dome on campus is such an important part of that. Get rid of that feel, and you take something unique and make it generic. Given the less than ideal backdrop of the city of Syracuse, a move towards generic would be disastrous. The long-term outcome of that is bad for the university and bad for the sports programs. This chancellor is maximizing value for all constituents. I love it.

It seems the timing of such a project from a financial ( bonding ) perspective would be fortuitous, as interest rates are still at historically low levels.

your economic viewpoint on this is incredibly short-sighted. This is such a win for the university, the sports programs, and ultimately the city. This chancellor gets it. We are lucky.

I think what GO is saying is it's going to be a drawn out, phased, messy renovation with a ton of extra and unforseen costs which is typical for this type of project. I assure you the design team is underselling this right now. The phasing alone will jack the price substantially. In addition, they will be working in tight windows, with tight schedules, double shifts, overtime, expedited stuff everywhere. It will be very very expensive. Most jobs like these are painful for everyone, I have found they are either a home run or a total disaster.

The staging alone will be a disaster.

I think what GO is saying is it's going to be a drawn out, phased, messy renovation with a ton of extra and unforseen costs which is typical for this type of project. I assure you the design team is underselling this right now. The phasing alone will jack the price substantially. In addition, they will be working in tight windows, with tight schedules, double shifts, overtime, expedited stuff everywhere. It will be very very expensive. Most jobs like these are painful for everyone, I have found they are either a home run or a total disaster.

The staging alone will be a disaster.

I would hope that the team(s) hired to do the project will be some of the better ones in the country/world and will have plenty of experience doing these types of projects. Maybe not exactly like the one that is described as potentially happening - I don't think anything like this has ever been done to be honest - but other projects with weird prohibitive factors built in.

I'd rather take a look at the positive - the University is investing into the athletic department and more specifically the football and basketball programs. I'm very excited about this, regardless of how it all plays out in the short run.

That's not true. Our coaches are paid - other than Boeheim, who is underpaid as it relates to the market - at market value or over market value across the board. Name one coach that has left because they didn't have enough money to keep them around? And don't use anything having to do with Marrone - the college vs. pro argument is off the table.

Are they going to change this though?

"Venues must hold a minimum of 60,000 fans"

Hotel would make sense actually, closer to campus then the Sheraton and it wouldn't be semi used for student housing

Not sure how accurate it is, but my friend who works for the University stated that there has been talks of the Sheraton being torn down or remodeled and used for some type of student facility.

2017: Phoenix
2018: San Antonio
2019: Minneapolis
2020: Atlanta
2021: Indianapolis

Syracuse, NY

One of these things is not like the others.

They're building a large hotel in Cazenovia soon as well. I believe the project has been green lit, I don't know if that would count towards the number or not.

I believe the "rule" is 40k and it was upped from 30k and 1 point. at 1 point (although I can't find it anywhere) I saw that referenced as "syracuse rule" to keep the final 4 out of Syracuse. I wouldn't be all that surprised to see them up it to 50k if we build something that could seat 45k for bball.

Looks like this might not be the case any longer, at least in some instances. Older article, but worthy of a peek (sorry if already posted):

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...urn-to-arenas-mark-hollis-mark-lewis/1756815/

and not to mention, they are taking out numerous walls and the roof. Calling it just a refurb (or reburb) is very short sighted.

Looks like this might not be the case any longer, at least in some instances. Older article, but worthy of a peek (sorry if already posted):

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...urn-to-arenas-mark-hollis-mark-lewis/1756815/

I could see them going strictly to arenas for sweet 16's but I can speak from experience, the secondary market was scorching hot in 2013 Atl final 4. No chance they cut that by 66.7%. None whatsoever.

And on top of that, they have since announced more sites and all went to domes. The link I provided earlier is an NCAA link that says all venues must have 60k seating capacity and 10k hotel rooms to be considered.

The point is that you could get a state of the art new multi-use/multi-configuration roofed facility for that much.

If they are talking about kicking out all the walls, why not just take it down to the foundation and build essentially new. And that is two year project.

All I'm saying is that is not the budget for a "refurb".

I'm not against it. I just don't think Syracuse has the appeal in terms of nightlife, restaurants, hotels, etc. We all love Syracuse. But the national media would have a field day if Syracuse ever landed the Final 4.

Not picking on you, but this is the type of negativity we need to do away with in CNY. Way to many of us are way too Negative and have the belief we can't do big things here or can't solve problems. CNY must Evolve or die. Enough with the cant's here, we need people and ideas that get things done. If you choose to believe differently you'll be left behind.

Are they going to change this though?

"Venues must hold a minimum of 60,000 fans"
I think they will. The Dome has some unique things going for it...better sightlines than any other domed facility, its location on a college campus and its location in the Northeast.

Could be wrong. But I think there is chance for it to happen....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom