Dome Renovation | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovation

Are they really proposing to remove 3 walls? Or integrating other buildings via openings, walkways, doors? Anything on the exterior, does it really impact seating sight lines? I didn't take that article at all as tearing out the internal seating structure. Adding some boxes sure or maybe renovating some bleachers to seating but not a total redo to the basic inside structure.

That for $400M dollars?

Yeesh.

$400M sounds like a lot for a "refurbishment". But the Brown plan is extensive. once you cut into 3 sides of the Dome, add significant square footage outside of the original footprint, install a hard roof and automatically-retracting BB floor, and graft a hotel onto the West side -- it doesn't seem as pricey.
You invest that kind of money that facility is going to be booked as close to 365 as possible, that's why you have a roof. Not six/seven football games, but six/seven football games, soccer, lax, summer tourneys, pro soccer/lax, spring, summer, fall concerts.
I think this (multi-use) is the only way significant public money will be contributed towards renovation of a private on-campus facility.

Last edited:
My thoughts:
-4 side expansion is good and appropriate, they are listening, structurally and in space management terms this is what I expected, balancing the north and south expansion makes more sense for foundations of those big trusses.
-I would expect the south expansion to hang over the sidewalk and have columns inset a few feet from the curb line.
-Hotel, good Idea but I would prefer a 12-15 story structure with separate entrances, back to back the elevators, Hotel on certain 6-8 floors academic space on others. Use your vertical space.
-Parking, Perhaps sub-grade parking could be worked into the hotel and human performance school plans, but you can only go so deep before you are below existing dome foundations.
-Parking 2: All buildings from here out on that side of campus need to have sub-grade parking built into the design
-Parking 3: Improve transportation to south see my comments from fan experience pages.
-Perimeter Glass - Good they are listening to me :). Open concourses at corners where these windows are?
-First floor of Human performance and Hotel buildings should have big open public/private mix spaces for pre-game visitors/student daily/commercial food/retail use and development
-Thinking about this as a phased approach, I think it may be possible to keep all teams in the dome if you do the interior work between seasons.
-If you did have to move a football season could you build a huge temporary set of stands ringing the field at the state fair grounds. Ex grandstand=17,000 could you add 20k at the other 3 sides
-Carrier contract? how far do we need to go to start getting a 10yr multi million dollar corporate sponsorship, is it worth it? Can we name the whole complex and name each building within the complex, including leaving the name of the carrier dome intact?

TexanMark said:
So which gate does the monorail stop at?

That would be sweet. Seriously.

We're seeing $400-500m and the word Dome and thinking it's the cost for the Dome reno. I think those kind of numbers are much more than a Dome reno. Dome reno minimizes what it really is as a project.

If we're integrating archbold and the Falk school into the facility, there will no doubt be renos to those building besides connecting them. There appears per the article this proposal includes a new building on the Irving side. As a ripple effect there would be impacts to current roads, parking lots and walkways. Even landscaping would need to be completely redone. It's much more than just renovating the Dome. It's not a facelift. It almost becomes a new complex for that whole part of campus.
I agree ... with all that is included in the Brown plan, there are some very big-ticket items:

- cutting into 3 walls of the Dome;
- expanding the footprint on 3 sides;
- installing a new hard roof (even without it being retractable);
- moving roads and parking lots;
- grafting a hotel onto the West side;
- integrating the East side with existing buildings and renovating those spaces;
- installing an "automatically-retractable" BB court (that sounds expensive).

This is not just a face-lift .. it's a campus renewal project.

That would be sweet. Seriously.
Certainly a way to get fans from downtown to the Dome .. or South Campus to the Dome if West stadium parking disappears with all this building.

reedny said:
Certainly a way to get fans from downtown to the Dome .. or South Campus to the Dome if West stadium parking disappears with all this building.

Or from the fine lot.

from what I heard this isn't the case. They are building around the current structure and just changing the seating. I'm guessing the added seating will come from a bigger mobile stand for basketball. Historically there has never been a need for as many football seats as we currently have. I'm also guessing that the added boxes will be on the basketball end of the stadium.
this has been the main issue all along. yeah we can seat 35K for bball but 10K are bad seats. this was because no one dreamed they would need more than 10-15K of decent seats for bball. had they, we would have run the court the other direction and built both ends to roll out from day 1. you could easily add 5K of seats behind the current roll out without changing anything

Ok so you wish we'd build a new stadium that looks like a soccer stadium over by the mall. And I am super excited by the fact that the chancellor is viewing this in a more nuanced way and understands the true value of athletics to the university and can see that having the dome on campus is a big part of that value. It's difficult to put that concept in to words, but the guy gets it. We will agree to disagree on what constitutes generic.

Awful lot of money for nuance. If there is public money involved I'd hope we'd trade some esthetically pleasing tribute to the value of athletics to the university to a facility that will generate maximum usage and utility to the broader community.

Yup, exactly - the dome is unique, the success of Syracuse sports given the backdrop is unique. This new facility will be unique and in keeping with those two elements that make the school what it is. This will FEEL like Syracuse, some box by the mall in a partially cleaned up industrial wasteland is not going to feel like anything. Visit Philly's sports complex if you want a taste of that.

Of course we will have to wait and see what the end product looks like - but the actions of this chancellor to date tell me we should not be worried.

Lets just hope the Faegan's redux will be nearly as good! I'm afraid they will turn that into a generic irish pub like you'd find in an outlet shopping mall but we will see.

What's with this snobbish assumption it would be some "box"? What do you call that gray cement "box" with the bubble top, the 2nd coming of the Coliseum?

Destiny is not located in the middle of nowhere, it's in the middle of the county. It's a 3 miles from campus.

View attachment 53390
I agree ... with all that is included in the Brown plan, there are some very big-ticket items:

- installing an "automatically-retractable" BB court (that sounds expensive).

This is not just a face-lift .. it's a campus renewal project.

Whattsa matter? You've never seen "It's a Wonderful Life"?

image.jpeg

So which gate does the monorail stop at?

They are going to have to figure something out because if you are going to build up the density already in the area you are going to add to the barriers that are keeping some of the crowd away.

There is a cost benefit analysis that marginally interested people perform on would they rather watch the game on TV, or do something else, instead of making the investment in time and energy getting to and into the stadium.

If they school wants to privately fund that, good for them.

They are going to have to figure something out because if you are going to build up the density already in the area you are going to add to the barriers that are keeping some of the crowd away.

There is a cost benefit analysis that marginally interested people perform on would they rather watch the game on TV, or do something else, instead of making the investment in time and energy getting to and into the stadium.

If they school wants to privately fund that, good for them.

People show up for basketball. Population density isn't keeping people away there.

The "new" Dome will be unique. It will be on campus, and we continue to have the largest on campus baskebtall facility in the country. There would be nothing unique about a new stadium in the inner harbor. It would be another cookie cutter facility you can find anywhere in the country.

The new dome will be a huge facility upgrade for football IMO. I know there's a good amount of people high on the inner harbor idea, but as an alum I am not one of those people.

Regardless, when they rebuild 81, it would not be easy getting to a stadium at the inner harbor, and the space for parking currently available there isn't much more than what we have near Manley and South right now.

OburgOrange said:
How would you know ? :cool:

It was in the paper at the time. I thought it was 24 but I could be wrong.

It was in the paper at the time. I thought it was 24 but I could be wrong.
Just busting Rogers chops. He actually had some behind the scenes stuff going in with the Dome.

Regardless, when they rebuild 81, it would not be easy getting to a stadium at the inner harbor,.
And you think it'll be easier getting to campus when the viaduct is roped off for 3 years?

If we can get this drone research hub to take off, maybe that'll solve the parking dilemma. Everyone will someday have drone transportation and cars will be a thing of the past when the FDA figures out how to regulate that airspace in the lowest 1000 feet. 35k drones would make for a lot of mid-air collisions on a cold snowy night.

If we can get this drone research hub to take off, maybe that'll solve the parking dilemma. Everyone will someday have drone transportation and cars will be a thing of the past when the FDA figures out how to regulate that airspace in the lowest 1000 feet.
Get off of my cloud.

Bring back the Train!!!

Need to build a platform downtown...not sure if it is feasible if the intermodal thingie is build near Jamesville.
Don't know why it's not at least a consideration during the SU games. I'm sure it would need to be upgraded but someone more knowledgeable than me would have to explain why it's gathering dust.

And just reposting this potentially "leaked " rendering that was on Nunes when this was being previously discussed.

image.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom