Donovan McNabb interested in Syracuse football radio analyst job | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Donovan McNabb interested in Syracuse football radio analyst job

Being a big star from 20 years ago doesn't excuse the assault and DUI charges of recent years. And not sure how a radio host adds anything to a football program or brings any star power.

Assault?

The perfect hire would be Don McPherson. He has done broadcasting before, good image for the school, and would be very good at it I think.

I think he's a bit bland, personally.

McNabb has given a lot back to the University.
The guy is interested in the job we should give him a shot.
The DUI is a bigger problem than being a creep to a makeup lady at the NFLN.
He lost his ESPN job for that immature crap. He didn’t assault the girl. He did immature stupid stuff.
We could a lot worse than McNabb we should give a chance to rehab his career.

All due respect, my friend. What difference does it make if he wasn't brought up on charges? Just because you aren't charged with an illegal act doesn't mean you haven't done something to deserve to be fired. I could go into work tomorrow and hit on all the women. Would it be illegal? Not necessarily. Would I deserve to be fired? Yes
I never said he didn't deserve to be fired. He serves at the whim of his boss/paycheck. What I'm saying is he deserves a fair shake here at SU...you know the place he brought so much too.

We have no idea the background behind the texts and the actions of the lady involved.

I trust our AD to make a wise decision here. He certainly has experience with this.

Getting a DUI is colossally stupid and remarkably selfish. Getting two is damn near inexcusable. I hope McNabb has stopped driving drunk before he kills someone.

I trust our AD to make a wise decision here. He certainly has experience with this.

Getting a DUI is colossally stupid and remarkably selfish. Getting two is damn near inexcusable. I hope McNabb has stopped driving drunk before he kills someone.

You know, people get DUIs who aren't even remotely drunk. It only takes 2 or 3 beers to be over .08. How many of you here would consider your self truly drunk after 2 or 3 beers? I think people can be a little too judgmental. There's a huge difference between getting an .08 and blowing .20 or something in that range. That's when people are an actual danger on the road. In our "good intentions", we have criminalized a lot of socially acceptable behavior, and getting busted is the luck of the draw sometimes.

I would be fine with McNabb.

But I think Dan Conley would be a great analyst.

He bleeds Orange - he lives in CNY and he is a very good broadcaster.

I might be misremembering but didn't Conley do it before here?

I am going to say that I have had the occasion to spent some time around him in the past couple of months. Not giving any real details. But there are things I saw that say he is a good person. Give him a real chance.

We have an announcer for our games who had a DUI while on site for one of our games. He is still there
I forgot about Park! Good point!

I am going to say that I have had the occasion to spent some time around him in the past couple of months. Not giving any real details. But there are things I saw that say he is a good person. Give him a real chance.

That's good to hear. I'm anti-McNabb getting the job b/c I feel like we're only an option for him because all of the better options have dried up. It doesn't feel like an investment on his end versus a "last gasp". Not sure the university should be in genuflection mode on this one. Let him rehab somewhere else. The school has a communications school. Do we absolutely need an ex football player to do that job. I'd rather they get a former coach in the booth.

Having said that, i wish him nothing but the best.

It should be noted that I almost never listen to games on the radio. I go to all the homes games, some road games and watch the others on TV. I tried listening to them in the Dome but missed hearing the band, the crowd reaction, talking to my friends and listening to the sounds coming out of the opposition coaching box.

I do listen to the analysis post game and sometimes the pregame analysis.

What I want from the SU color guy is someone who knows what they are talking about. Someone who goes to practices, is trusted enough by the coaching staff to get insights regarding game plans and strategies. Someone who can explain what the offense and defense are trying to do. Someone who knows the game.

McNabb knows the game and brings a valuable perspective as a quarterback who played against a lot of defenses at the highest levels in the game. Will he stay in Syracuse during the season? Will he attend practices, watch film of opponents, learn the strengths and weaknesses of each team, learn how the Babers offense works, etc?

If so, I support this. All things considered, I want a Syracuse grad, with connections to the program, who is currently close to the program. I want someone who is articulate and knowledgeable. I am okay with giving him a second chance to build his career after football. I don't expect announcers to be perfect. If he runs into the same problems here however, he has to go.

If Donovan isn't willing to stay sober and put in the work to do a good job, then we should look elsewhere. I don't know much about Adam Terry and can't comment on him. I like that Julian Whigham attended practice regularly last season and was not afraid to tell what he saw. I don't want a cheerleader, I don't want a homer, I want someone with insight and the courage to speak their mind.

You know, people get DUIs who aren't even remotely drunk. It only takes 2 or 3 beers to be over .08. How many of you here would consider your self truly drunk after 2 or 3 beers? I think people can be a little too judgmental. There's a huge difference between getting an .08 and blowing .20 or something in that range. That's when people are an actual danger on the road. In our "good intentions", we have criminalized a lot of socially acceptable behavior, and getting busted is the luck of the draw sometimes.

Fine. I hope he doesn't get lit up some night in Syracuse and smash into your family.

We have an announcer for our games who had a DUI while on site for one of our games. He is still there

That that's the case is still inexplicable to some of us. Park should've been canned before he left South Carolina.

McNabb, eh, I dunno. He seems like a good guy, but he's got a track record of doing the wrong thing. I don't know anything about his professional skills, but that's why I'm not the one doing the hiring. If SU were to bring him in, I wouldn't complain. But I sure hope he knows that he can either drive or drink but it's unacceptable to do both.

Fine. I hope he doesn't get lit up some night in Syracuse and smash into your family.

Don't be an ass, Scooch. What, did someone throw a beer on you once when you were in costume?

That's good to hear. I'm anti-McNabb getting the job b/c I feel like we're only an option for him because all of the better options have dried up. It doesn't feel like an investment on his end versus a "last gasp". Not sure the university should be in genuflection mode on this one. Let him rehab somewhere else. The school has a communications school. Do we absolutely need an ex football player to do that job. I'd rather they get a former coach in the booth.

Having said that, i wish him nothing but the best.

Isn't McNabb the guy who gave $500,000 to spruce up the football team's locker room several years ago? The guy was on the Board of Trustees for several years. He clearly cares about the university. I don't get all the hate for McNabb - well, apart from Kaiser, with all his "Soupy McPuke" stuff. But I blame that on the Giants - Eagles rivalry.

Qadry Ismail does a pretty good job covering the Ravens. Wonder if he’s been considered.

1 DUI? OK. Learn and move on. 2 DUI is either beyond stupidty or a sign of bigger problems. Call a dman cab or a LYFT or drink at home.

Ok with Matt Park keeping his job, 100% OK with it. Next time, absolutely not.

Then you compile the comments made towards the woman at NFL network, in what world is this acceptable? It isn't. Where do you draw the line and how many chances does one deserve?

He's a meathead entitled NFL guy dressed up in SU ZUBA pants, he's a clown

just curious as to what the Board reaction would be if another school did this? Let's say Marshall Faulk had 2 drunk driving incidents and the harassment accusation and was hired by the Colts, Rams or San Diego State.
Personally I don't think the radio voice matters enough to risk McNabb screwing up again. He didn't do all this as a 20 year old kid so I don't by the immaturity thing. HIs announcing skills IMHO don't merit the gig either way but with the baggage I'm not sure he's worth it, but in the grand scheme of things, this hire isn't a huge deal to me.

just curious as to what the Board reaction would be if another school did this? Let's say Marshall Faulk had 2 drunk driving incidents and the harassment accusation and was hired by the Colts, Rams or San Diego State.

Well, if Marv Albert could get a job again, I don't see why McNabb can't.

I love Donovan's passion for his alma mater, we need way more of that from former football stars here. However, i think the combo of his toxic history and (in my opinion) his generally blah on air skills should make him a no go.