Doug Marrone | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Doug Marrone

Status
Not open for further replies.
You want a good team? Have a great staff. It’s really that simple. Have a coach who can hire good assistants and let them do their jobs. Then your job as HC is to rally the troops, shout a little, make some tough game day decisions, and shake hands. Coach Mac had great assistants. Marrone had good assistants. We need to get these hires done right, right now, or it’s clean slate time in 12 months.
P had fantastic coaches

Everyone keeps bringing up marrone but keep in mind in his 4th season the team was 3-4 and down big at the half against USF. I remember watching that game and thinking marrone was done. The team makes a comeback to even up their record then lost the next week cinci before winning the last 4.

My point is I don’t see Doug as a savior. Is he a good game week/day coach? Absolutely. I was always confident in that team coming off of a bye. I just can’t get too excited about a retread who left the program for greener pastures. I think there are candidates out there who would do an aml as good if not better job.

We need someone who can develop some type of innovative offensive identity. When the program has been successful on offense it’s because we did something no one else was doing at the time w a mobile QB. I think something like the 3-3-5 is the defensive version of that.
Dougs not coming back. Nobody at SU wants him and im sure he doesn't want SU.

This times 100.

Most people have ZERO clue what actually went on during his helm. He had minimal support.
Yep

it says something when the best management he worked for was the jags

Yes, that was certainly a big part of it, but there were several other things. Wild.
Wasn't there issues with alum and I know he had some issues with members of Board of Trustees

Dougs not coming back. Nobody at SU wants him and im sure he doesn't want SU.
I agree he doesn’t want to come back but there was a rumor a few weeks ago that JW reached out to him through back channels to gauge his interest if this season craters. Doug supposedly said he had no interest. I tend to not believe the rumor that JW contacted his people. Too early to be doing that I think. Just throwing out what I read somewhere on this board. I think it was a reliable board source who posted the rumor though.

Last edited:
I agree he doesn’t want to come back but there was a rumor a few weeks ago that JW reached out to him through back channels to gauge his interest if this season craters. Doug supposedly said he had no interest. I tend to not believe the rumor that JW contacted his people. Too early to be doing that I think. Just throwing out what I read somewhere on this board. I think it was a reliable board source who posted the rumor though.
Seemed like made up conjecture though.

I would take Marrone back in a heartbeat but I doubt he would do it. We’d be lucky to get him

I read he’s making $3 mil a year as the new Saints OL coach and fairly low pressure with more time off. He’d be crazy to come back

Tony White’s done a phenomenal job. And I’m just extremely interested to see what Anae & Beck can do.

We’re not going back to go forwards, it’s just not in the cards for either side. But, it’s awesome that Doug’s a proud alumni and that he’s had the success he’s had. Coach Marrone’s a phenomenal football coach, that’s why he’s held the positions he’s held. He also has other qualities that have lead to his carousel like career in the ladder years.

Coach White is destined to be a head coach in the next few years. If Dino is let go i think he will be given a long look by JW.
If Dino is let go do we really think JW goes to his assistants as the move for the future?

That was the shafer decision redux. I really doubt he would do that. It’s going to be a clean break imo because if Dino goes the program is struggling on d and o

I would hope we look towards our past to figure out next steps. P and Mac were northeast football guys. To me that is the template if this goes wrong

I’d be looking at Bob chesney at HC, Steve Belichick, Patricia, Bill O’Brien, etc. someone from this part of country who can lock up this region like we once did in the 90s. Those names are prob long shots minus Bob but the program will need to reset imo if Dino’s operation faulters in a 5 win or less way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom