Draft Thread | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Draft Thread

Loving the Lions completely ignoring their glaring needs at corner, linebacker, and pretty much anywhere on defense and drafting a tight end with Fauria (drafted last year), Scheffler, and Pettigrew already.

I hate this team so much.

Scheffler is gone...
"On October 22, 2013, Scheffler was released by the Lions after suffering his third concussion in four years earlier in the month"

That being said, we needed to upgrade the defense bad, we should have traded down for Ha Ha. Now I have to watch him in piss packer green instead. (n)

Scheffler is gone...
"On October 22, 2013, Scheffler was released by the Lions after suffering his third concussion in four years earlier in the month"

That being said, we needed to upgrade the defense bad, we should have traded down for Ha Ha. Now I have to watch him in piss packer green instead. (n)

Stafford will be happy at least.

I hate the Giants, but could not agree more. Beckham will have a much better career than watkins.

And the Bills fans that i read saying that Manuel has elite WR to throw to... really? A rookie, a cast off in Mike Williams, an injury proned/drop proned Stevie Johnson, and an unproven Wooods? Elite? Not even close. They arent even in the top 10 of WR cores.

Cores? What the hell is that?

Pretty declaratory statement Kreskin.

Don't think Sammy Watkins is a guy to put the Bills over the top. New owners clean house even on teams coming off winning seasons. Gave up too much for him. And if EJ Manuel stinks next year that means you are a team with no QB and no 1st round pick, not a great place to be in. Huge roll of the dice by the Bills with that trade.

It's one pick. Consensus impact player at a position they thought was a need.

WR is the least important position in the NFL. If they moved up to grab Mack or an OL, it would have made at least a little sense.
No, running back is.

Khalil Mack would have been awesome but we're ok at Linebacker with Kiko, Spikes, Rivers, Lawson, Bradham. In fact we're actually pretty good there. Whaley said that they had 2 players in mind when they traded up while Jax was on the clock, with Watkins being rater higher, given that I doubt the other player was Blake Bortles, im assuming it was Mack.

If we were going to trade up for defense, the one who really fits a possible need was Clowney but we're not giving up what the Texans wanted. Right now those linebackers I listed back up a D-line built in the mold of Seattle with Mario, Dareus, Kyle and Branch (who rotates out with Hughes on passing downs). That is a loaded Front 7 with some a solid group of CB's and a very promising safety in Aaron Williams. The only question mark for me besides some depth on this defense is how Searcy and Duke will fill in for Byrd. Defense is loaded, offense is where we needed help.

I'd be shocked if we dont go TE and OT/OG in these next few rounds possibly using SJ13 to move up/get another pick. We no have a Top 3 backfield with Spiller/FJax/Dixon (short yardage back). Our offensive line can use some help but lets not act like its anything worse than average. LT and C are set, RG is solid and like it or not, the staff went out and got Chris Williams for LG thinking we can tap into his first round talent. RT is where we could use an upgrade but this offensive line is average right now before any possible additions and average does not scream for attention although we should and I think will address it. If we can somehow get ASF to pair with Chandler then our offense goes to beastmode, we definitely need another Tight End outside of Chandler unless the staff thinks Gragg/Moeaki are those guys.

How can you not LOVE a WR unit of Watkins and Williams on the outside, Woods in the slot and Goodwin taking the top off? That WR unit is nasty with speed and talent for days.

This team is playoff ready in every facet aside from QB. EJ was never projected to step in and dominate, but he was projected to be the most talented QB in the 2013 Draft and be a guy who after some time could be that guy. That time is now and he has the defense, and weapons to step up.

GoSU96 said:
It's not just one pick. Shouldn't need to point that out to you.

edit - i get what you're saying. one extra (first round) pick.

Last edited:
The Jets - yech - Pryor will probably be OK, but I really wanted Cooks among those available at that spot. Also, Dennard was there. Of course, last year I wondered about Richardson & that sure worked out well. Hopefully, they can get a decent receiver in Round 2.

I liked the Pryor pick for the Jets. I wonder if the Bills WR's and the fact Tom Brady is still in the East played into that pick. You guys already have a good defense and Geno/Vick has next to zero weapons and an average offensive line aside from Chris Johnson who has alot of tread on the tires and Eric Decker who is a solid #2 WR.

Don't think Sammy Watkins is a guy to put the Bills over the top. New owners clean house even on teams coming off winning seasons. Gave up too much for him. And if EJ Manuel stinks next year that means you are a team with no QB and no 1st round pick, not a great place to be in. Huge roll of the dice by the Bills with that trade.
Bills paid a steep price but if Watkins is A.J. Green, Julio Jones its okay to overpay if you are getting a legitimate talent. The comparisons I have seen to Calvin Johnson are crazy. Watkins is an elite athlete, but he isn't Megatron.

Marrone and Whaley know now that the Bills are going to be sold they are going to be on the hot seat with the new owners unless they win and win now. Thus trading a 2015 1st round pick isn't bad if the Bills go 7-9 go next year they were going to get fired anyway. If they were going all-in though Watkins wasn't the player that is going to make them better Patriots next year, but least they went for it.

Eric Ebron at 9 would have given the Bills offense a spark and wouldn't have cost them next year's 1st rounder for Watkins. Bills should have gone crazy and gone after Clowney if they were going all-in. Manuel didn't show he was a franchise QB last year and if the QB position sucks they are going to be giving Cleveland a top 10 pick. They lost Byrd and the Bills defense hasn't gotten better yet this offseason.

Bills paid a steep price but if Watkins is A.J. Green, Julio Jones its okay to overpay if you are getting a legitimate talent. The comparisons I have seen to Calvin Johnson are crazy. Watkins is an elite athlete, but he isn't Megatron.

Marrone and Whaley know now that the Bills are going to be sold they are going to be on the hot seat with the new owners unless they win and win now. Thus trading a 2015 1st round pick isn't bad if the Bills go 7-9 go next year they were going to get fired anyway. If they were going all-in though Watkins wasn't the player that is going to make them better Patriots next year, but least they went for it.

Eric Ebron at 9 would have given the Bills offense a spark and wouldn't have cost them next year's 1st rounder for Watkins. Bills should have gone crazy and gone after Clowney if they were going all-in. Manuel didn't show he was a franchise QB last year and if the QB position sucks they are going to be giving Cleveland a top 10 pick. They lost Byrd and the Bills defense hasn't gotten better yet this offseason.
Bills didnt have Byrd for half the season last year anyway and the defense absolutely got better. They added CB depth in Cory Graham (the sole reason we lost to the Jets with our 5th and 6th db's getting torched) and added Brandon Spikes (the leagues best run stopping LB) as well as Keith Rivers (LB depth). I'll take that tradeoff.

We also drafted 9, when we played all year using a rookie QB for half the season and 2 back up QB's for the rest. Pretty sure the staff feels that this team won't be drafting in the Top 10 again. We also have money next year so we can just sign an extra FA to make up for that draft pick.

Aint worried bout nothin...

Bills fans are alot more dilusional than I thought. This is wild. Ebron is exactly what they needed. He was the pick. These comparisons to Julio Jones and AJ Green are hilarious. Come on man. (i know u didnt write that but im just combining all my thoughts in to one reply). If they wanted AJ Green, they should have stayed where they were and drafted Odell.

I also love how many have said this is an ELITE we core. Thats wildly assumptive of people. There is one proven player (who is likely to be traded), a Bucs castoff, a rookie, and Robert Woods. Elite? Average, with potential to be good is more accurate.

Bills didnt have Byrd for half the season last year anyway and the defense absolutely got better. They added CB depth in Cory Graham (the sole reason we lost to the Jets with our 5th and 6th db's getting torched) and added Brandon Spikes (the leagues best run stopping LB) as well as Keith Rivers (LB depth). I'll take that tradeoff.

We also drafted 9, when we played all year using a rookie QB for half the season and 2 back up QB's for the rest. Pretty sure the staff feels that this team won't be drafting in the Top 10 again. We also have money next year so we can just sign an extra FA to make up for that draft pick.

The Bills are likely to take a step back this year actually. They didnt upgrade anywhere outside of LB. Their QB is still basically a rookie, and was pretty unimpressive when he played. Thank god for the Bills, they are the only thing that keep my Fins out of the basement year after year. Its like clockwork.

Spikes is a decent run stopping LB, but he is slow and will get torched in pass coverage. He is like having a 5th DL in running downs though. I think Buffalo had a good season last year, but Manuel didn't prove he was legit last year. He was okay, but if he doesn't improve now with the best Wr core in the AFC now the Bills will struggle. Buffalo/Jacksonville/Cleveland/Oakland will always have cap space because FAs won't want to play their unless they overpay and/or turn around their franchises.

I just don't see Buffalo as better than New England right now and I think New England, Denver, Indianapolis all look like playoff teams Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cincinnati, San Diego, Kansas City, Houston, NY Jets, Miami are the Bills competition for those 2 Wild Card slots. I don't honestly seeing the Bills as a playoff team I root for the Patriots, but respect the Bills fans who have suffered a lot recently and would love for you guys to get back into the postseason. If the Bills don't make the playoffs the Bills gave up a top 16 pick for next year.

I don't know if the Bills are ready to win the division but outside of EJ (granted thats a HUGE question mark) can you honestly tell me the Bills arent as talented/more talented than alot of the playoff teams/contenders from last year?

I'm assuming Spikes will rotate out for Lawson in passing downs given Lawson is good in pass coverage, just like how Hughes will rotate in for Branch at DE.

Mario/Dareus/Kyle/Branch Kiko/Spikes/Rivers on run downs.
Mario/Dareus/Kyle/Hughes Kiko/Lawson/(?) on passing downs.

Gilmore/McKelvin/Robey/Graham at CB with Aaron Williams at Safety. Duke/Searcy fight it out for the other safety spot (IMO, this is the only weakness on the defense). We were one of the best against the pass last year, but one of the worst against the run. We clearly focused on bringing in run stoppers and attitude.

How many defenses can you name with more talent?

Offense has CJ/FJax/Watkins/Woods/Williams/Goodwin and a franchise LT and C. The skill positions are loaded. EJ just needs to be at least solid and I think the Bills contend for a WC.

I'm hoping Buffalo goes OT Moses to give us an above average O-Line or TE Austin Sefarian-Jenkins in the 2nd round. I could see them picking up a RB or more OT help in the 3rd. I also think they may use SJ13 as bait for another pick or trade up. Whaley doesnt value late round picks very much given his comments on where he believes the team is in terms of talent and need.

The Bills are likely to take a step back this year actually. They didnt upgrade anywhere outside of LB. Their QB is still basically a rookie, and was pretty unimpressive when he played. Thank god for the Bills, they are the only thing that keep my Fins out of the basement year after year. Its like clockwork.

Fellow Fins fan here. What do you think about Ja'Wuan? At the time, I was a little disappointed...thought it was a reach and the draft didn't really fall our way. I'm starting to come around though because he seems like a solid, durable player who we can plug right in. :noidea:

The Jets - yech - Pryor will probably be OK, but I really wanted Cooks among those available at that spot. Also, Dennard was there. Of course, last year I wondered about Richardson & that sure worked out well. Hopefully, they can get a decent receiver in Round 2.
Loved the Pryor pick. Needed an impact safety to captain the back end of the defense after Landry went to Indy a year ago. Admittedly I wanted Dennard (my favorite player in this draft) but I can definitely live with Pryor.

Bills fans are alot more dilusional than I thought. This is wild. Ebron is exactly what they needed. He was the pick. These comparisons to Julio Jones and AJ Green are hilarious. Come on man. (i know u didnt write that but im just combining all my thoughts in to one reply). If they wanted AJ Green, they should have stayed where they were and drafted Odell.

I also love how many have said this is an ELITE we core. Thats wildly assumptive of people. There is one proven player (who is likely to be traded), a Bucs castoff, a rookie, and Robert Woods. Elite? Average, with potential to be good is more accurate.

I haven't seen one comparision to Julio Jones or Megatron who is saying that? The bills WR group with Stevie Johson is absolutely an above average group and the best in the AFC East by far. Stevie Johnson, Mike Williams, Watkins, Woods, Marquise Goodwin, its a top 10 unit.

I haven't seen one comparision to Julio Jones or Megatron who is saying that? The bills WR group with Stevie Johson is absolutely an above average group and the best in the AFC East by far. Stevie Johns
I dont think we keep SJ13, but even without him this group is scary good. Best comparison i've seen for Sammy Watkins is "a more compact Larry Fitzgerald".

next years 1, is the real killer.

watkins needs to start putting up randy moss #s in a hurry and the bills better be seeing 10-11 wins.

the Giants swapped 1's and gave up next years 1 & 3 for Eli.

the bills swapped 1's and gave up next years 1 & 4 for Sammy.

2 SuperBowl rings is at least the minimum bar for giving up a 1.

good luck.....

fwiw brian burke who i know you respect has the bills as the losers of the first round. cle and min as winners

he's not a manuel guy safe to assume

watkins needs to start putting up randy moss #s in a hurry and the bills better be seeing 10-11 wins.

the Giants swapped 1's and gave up next years 1 & 3 for Eli.

the bills swapped 1's and gave up next years 1 & 4 for Sammy.

2 SuperBowl rings is at least the minimum bar for giving up a 1.

good luck...

I dont see this as any sort of huge gamble by the Bills, we have been picking in the top 15 for the last decade and that hasn't done jack for us getting to the playoffs. If the Bills have another one of there classic year where they win 6-7-8 games then your talking about them picking in the teens again. I have no problem giving up that pick if they think Watkins is an elite level talent, every team has to gamble every now and then. The 4th round pick is nothing, they can get that back by trading SJ or by moving back in the 2nd or 3rd round.

He is small.
Look at the poor lil fella

MenacingSimpleArcticduck.gif

SafeSlowIndusriverdolphin.gif

Dolphins - lol. No wonder you're hating so hard...

Yeah, that's steep. Essentially gave up what you'd envision as two impact starters to get Watkins now.

I dont see this as any sort of huge gamble by the Bills, we have been picking in the top 15 for the last decade and that hasn't done jack for us getting to the playoffs. If the Bills have another one of there classic year where they win 6-7-8 games then your talking about them picking in the teens again. I have no problem giving up that pick if they think Watkins is an elite level talent, every team has to gamble every now and then. The 4th round pick is nothing, they can get that back by trading SJ or by moving back in the 2nd or 3rd round.
because they never draft a qb in the top 15 since Jim Kelly!

12 times they've been top 15. 0 QB

they are the dumbest team in the world

EJ was at 16 and they could've had him at 40

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors