Drew Allen. Commits | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Drew Allen. Commits

I hate bringing in one year guys like this.

Huge "get" in my opinion. The foundation for next year's team to be successful is in place, but QB is a huge question mark that could really hold the team back. If Allen gives us a better option at QB than the incumbents on the roster--we win. If his presence ratchets up the competition and motivates one of the incumbents to step up and seize the reins--we win. There literally is no downside; he's not even taking up a scholarship long-term, as a one year guy, nor will he derail future recruiting of QBs as he'll be gone after this one season.

Very happy about this pickup. We need one of the QBs to give us a legitimate playmaking threat next year. I don't care which one it is, but we NEED one of them to emerge. May the best QB win the job.

I hate bringing in one year guys like this.
I agree with that. I'm not a fan of the strategy, but in this case I'll roll with it because unlike last time I don't feel like we're trading less talented guys from our own roster for one year rentals. We have some spots open, and we filled one without it impacting future recruiting. Game on.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Wonder who the back-up will be. I would expect that to be Hunt. So my question is when is our starting QB going to be able to practice??

Huge "get" in my opinion. The foundation for next year's team to be successful is in place, but QB is a huge question mark that could really hold the team back. If Allen gives us a better option at QB than the incumbents on the roster--we win. If his presence ratchets up the competition and motivates one of the incumbents to step up and seize the reins--we win. There literally is no downside; he's not even taking up a scholarship long-term, as a one year guy, nor will he derail future recruiting of QBs as he'll be gone after this one season.

Very happy about this pickup. We need one of the QBs to give us a legitimate playmaking threat next year. I don't care which one it is, but we NEED one of them to emerge. May the best QB win the job.

Yeah, I'm not sure why anyone would have a problem with a one-year guy anyway. I mean I suppose there is some attachment people develop to kids over 4 or 5 years or something or some sense that it's "unfair" to the kids on the roster, but ultimately shafer has to win games. He may not have to be the worst human being on the planet, but he can't be worried about hurting people's feelings or not turning over every rock simply b/c a guy is a rent-a-qb.

I'll also point out that this should not really send Loeb and/or Hunt into some downward spiral that ends in a week-long ron burgundy bender. Seriously, it's one kid who -- while reportedly quite talented -- doesn't know the system and hasn't be guaranteed anything. And, if he comes in and starts, he still has to perform and stay healthy. Yes, it's more difficult for the incumbents but no, I don't think we need to be working on Loeb's epitaph just yet.

I agree with that. I'm not a fan of the strategy, but in this case I'll roll with it because unlike last time I don't feel like we're trading less talented guys from our own roster for one year rentals. We have some spots open, and we filled one without it impacting future recruiting. Game on.

Why not a fan of the strategy? And how were we trading "less talented guys from our own roster for one-year rentals"? They brought Paulus in, he had some nice moments and some ugly ones, saved Nassib from some serious punishment and Nassib went on to become an early round nfl selection. seems like it worked out pretty well, all things considered.

I don't know Oklahoma's QB depth chart at all, but if Allen is good, why is he not competing for playing time at OU in his last season? Landry Jones is gone...

exactly. another reason i believe we went JUCO heavy this year as well. We can't afford any steps back going into the acc. i'd be shocked if he isn't the starter next year.

I'm not sure I quite get this line of thinking for a few reasons:

1) Is there ever a year in which a coach who willingly says, "Let's take a step back." I mean, I suppose if they want to go with a younger group they could, but I think athletic departments and fan bases are fickle enough that these coaches never want to take a step back.

2) I'm not sure going JUCO even helps us avoid a step back. I suppose if you land an Andrew Tiller it could really help but we've had far more MPB's and Orlando Fisher's and Jose Cruz's (yes, I realize he was from Hofstra), than we have had impact JUCOs. And that's not even mentioning the guys who never made it like Chad Elliott and others. I tend to think coaches would love impact from a JUCO program, but generally hope to get depth.

3) I think people in general overrate the step up in competition that is the ACC. Bigger name schools, yes, but I'm not really sure just how much of a step up in terms of true competition this is from what we faced last year. I wouldn't be shocked at all if we are a .500 team in the ACC even if Allen isn't a Godsend.

1) Is there ever a year in which a coach who willingly says, "Let's take a step back." I mean, I suppose if they want to go with a younger group they could, but I think athletic departments and fan bases are fickle enough that these coaches never want to take a step back.

2) I'm not sure going JUCO even helps us avoid a step back. I suppose if you land an Andrew Tiller it could really help but we've had far more MPB's and Orlando Fisher's and Jose Cruz's (yes, I realize he was from Hofstra), than we have had impact JUCOs. And that's not even mentioning the guys who never made it like Chad Elliott and others. I tend to think coaches would love impact from a JUCO program, but generally hope to get depth.

3) I think people in general overrate the step up in competition that is the ACC. Bigger name schools, yes, but I'm not really sure just how much of a step up in terms of true competition this is from what we faced last year. I wouldn't be shocked at all if we are a .500 team in the ACC even if Allen isn't a Godsend.
They say they only recruit jucos who they think can come in and start or lay right away. If you went after HS kids you would most likely have to red shirt them so with all the jucos it definitely seemed we were recruiting for this upcoming year and the next. We finally have some momentum you want to so whatever possible to keep it going even if that means taking a chance on some JCs if you think they can come in and contribute immediately.

Captain Obvious here...they don't go after Allen if they had any confidence that Loeb or Hunt could carry the team to a solid record. I especially feel badly for Loeb, but the coaches felt that they needed to make this move. Which makes me realize: Allen had better pan out, otherwise we're in trouble.

That's reading a lot into this. As has been posted here -- two frosh are pretty unlikely to be ready to contribute. Kinder unlikely to see the field. That leaves two QBs with zero (for all intents and purposes) game experience. Are they good or bad? We don't know, but adding another viable option at the position would seem a smart play. Is he likely to be the starter? I would guess he is based on pedigree/reviews of the other QBs, but I'm not sure the staff is that disappointed with either.

Cruz Fisher and MPG all had a positive impact on the program. If not for our Jucos we would never have won 8 games.

They say they only recruit jucos who they think can come in and start or lay right away. If you went after HS kids you would most likely have to red shirt them so with all the jucos it definitely seemed we were recruiting for this upcoming year and the next. We finally have some momentum you want to so whatever possible to keep it going even if that means taking a chance on some JCs if you think they can come in and contribute immediately.

Yeah, but JUCOs are also hanging around later in the process, something that became important when the previous staff appeared to have one foot out the door and then the current staff consequently had to make up lost ground. Thinking a guy can start is another way of saying we want competition and depth. Every kid they sign they "think" can start, right?

I'm with you on the importance to sustain momentum, I just don't know that the JCs were as much a part of that as they were available later in the process.

Cruz Fisher and MPG all had a positive impact on the program. If not for our Jucos we would never have won 8 games.

Solid depth, not impact players. MPB had one sack. Cruz had like 8 catches or something and fisher was a backup. those are the kinds of impact JCs that are going to pave the way for our success in the ACC? And don't get me wrong, I'm fine with them coming in and depth is important. And who knows, a JC or two or three may be big impact guys. Same with Allen.

I'm simply saying I'm not sure I see the JCs as strategy due to the move to the acc as much as necessity with the staff turnover and the lull that seemed to happen in recruiting with the previous staff once DM appeared to have one foot out the door.

Why not a fan of the strategy? And how were we trading "less talented guys from our own roster for one-year rentals"? They brought Paulus in, he had some nice moments and some ugly ones, saved Nassib from some serious punishment and Nassib went on to become an early round nfl selection. seems like it worked out pretty well, all things considered.
I'm thinking more of how it was weird that some guys didn't come back a couple years ago, and then we grabbed some of the Hofstra players. That didn't sit well with me. I don't view this as a similar situation though. It's not like we let Kinder go so Allen could come.

I don't know Oklahoma's QB depth chart at all, but if Allen is good, why is he not competing for playing time at OU in his last season? Landry Jones is gone...
They want to move the offense in a different direction and it's better to do that with a younger QB to have some time in the system

Oklahoma doesn't operate like that. They always looks for multi-year starters and avoid 1 year situations as much as possible. Blake Bell has been the heir presumptive for a while, but even then the actual backup has been Allen. Bell only came in on Jumbo's because he's enormous.

Allen competed for 4 years, but at a place like Oklahoma you're going to get recruited over constantly.

This is no different than when Marrone came in, he didn't like Legree, Robinson or Dantley and knew Nassib was not ready. He knew the first season would be tough so why ruin Nassib, in this case I think HCSS thinks he has a good team, but it is weak at QB. Kinder will never play, if they were comforable with Loeb he would have gotten a ringing endorsement which he has not, Hunt is too erratic and I never considered Broyld a QB. Kimble or Wilson will get the next shot after a redshirt year and full knowledge of the new system.
Iff Allen is big, mobile and has a strong arm I for one do not see a problem, I am very excited about this and if it gets us off to a good first year in the ACC it will set the foundation.

That's reading a lot into this. As has been posted here -- two frosh are pretty unlikely to be ready to contribute. Kinder unlikely to see the field. That leaves two QBs with zero (for all intents and purposes) game experience. Are they good or bad? We don't know, but adding another viable option at the position would seem a smart play. Is he likely to be the starter? I would guess he is based on pedigree/reviews of the other QBs, but I'm not sure the staff is that disappointed with either.

I take your point, Bill. My read is that, if they thought that they had truly viable options in Loeb and Hunt, they would not have added this level of uncertainty after spring practice by signing Allen.

But then, I've always been a 'glass half-empty' kind of guy.

Solid depth, not impact players. MPB had one sack. Cruz had like 8 catches or something and fisher was a backup. those are the kinds of impact JCs that are going to pave the way for our success in the ACC? And don't get me wrong, I'm fine with them coming in and depth is important. And who knows, a JC or two or three may be big impact guys. Same with Allen.

I'm simply saying I'm not sure I see the JCs as strategy due to the move to the acc as much as necessity with the staff turnover and the lull that seemed to happen in recruiting with the previous staff once DM appeared to have one foot out the door.
I have always been a fan of what Marrone did to supplement recruiting by bringing in JUCOs and transfers. If SU was winning recruiting battles against Pitt, Rutgers & BC, it would not be necessary to go so heavily into JUCO ranks. But we weren't winning those battles, and we certainly did not in 2012.
Past impact of JUCOs/transfers was much higher than you are allowing above. Cruz was an instant starter as the blocking TE, and Weaver was about to have big impact at WR when he got injured. Hay & Tiller started for two years. MPB was the starter at DE. Diabate started and had a surprising impact at MLB.
Current impact -- Jones is starting at NT, Williams will certainly be in the rotation once he gets to campus; Clark might be starting at one of the WR spots; JUCOs are everywhere in the two deep on the defensive side and will help in rotation with the starters.
This isn't the preferred strategy -- we have to win our share of battles for high school prospects.

They want to move the offense in a different direction and it's better to do that with a younger QB to have some time in the system
I can't remember, but didn't Stoops lose some of his staff this offseason?

Allen has very limited game experience and he comes in already behind the others in terms of knowing the staff/offense.
He'll be a lot more ready than FQBGP was. He never stopped throwing the ball and has been ready to go into the game, as RGLCL has, for the past 3 years.

I have always been a fan of what Marrone did to supplement recruiting by bringing in JUCOs and transfers. If SU was winning recruiting battles against Pitt, Rutgers & BC, it would not be necessary to go so heavily into JUCO ranks. But we weren't winning those battles, and we certainly did not in 2012.
Past impact of JUCOs/transfers was much higher than you are allowing above. Cruz was an instant starter as the blocking TE, and Weaver was about to have big impact at WR when he got injured. Hay & Tiller started for two years. MPB was the starter at DE. Diabate started and had a surprising impact at MLB.
Current impact -- Jones is starting at NT, Williams will certainly be in the rotation once he gets to campus; Clark might be starting at one of the WR spots; JUCOs are everywhere in the two deep on the defensive side and will help in rotation with the starters.
This isn't the preferred strategy -- we have to win our share of battles for high school prospects.
We win on the field and will win our share of these battles. The tide is starting to turn. We can see it happening right before our eyes. It's so refreshing after far too many years of losing kids that could have been ours

IMO, Drew is a good pickup; this has to be tough for Charlie though. Another plus with this is that his commitment does not hurt out recruiting at QB for this next class.

Why can't we ride the Ryan Nassib train to future stud QBs?

The best way to do that is to sustain quality play at QB so that Nassib accomplishments aren't perceived as one year wonder. If Allen [or Hunt or Loeb] give us quality play again this year, momentum will really start to build on the recruiting trail.

Excited to see what AJ Long can do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom