Duke game hype | Syracusefan.com

Duke game hype

Delmar

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Leading Frosh Scorer
I don't get it. All this fuss we are making about the Duke game, t-shirts months ahead of time and all the rest. Do you think Duke is all that concerned and hyped about playing us? I don't think so. Yeah, it's exciting to have them coming here to play. I get that. But the excessive hype makes us look like an inferior program.

I get what you're saying, but I did watch an interview where I believe Hood and Thorton were looking forward to the Cuse game most because they had never played in front of that large a crowd. It's a big deal for both I'd say.

After years of experiencing Duke like conditions during Orange away games at Pitt, I am so looking forward to Duke playing at Pitt where the student section is practically on the court. And Pitt playing at Duke so both schools can get a healthy dose of their own student body spitting distance medicine! It would really be funny if Duke loses at Pitt then complains about the student body's unsportsmanship like behavior.

I don't get it. All this fuss we are making about the Duke game, t-shirts months ahead of time and all the rest. Do you think Duke is all that concerned and hyped about playing us? I don't think so. Yeah, it's exciting to have them coming here to play. I get that. But the excessive hype makes us look like an inferior program.

I'm tired of hearing this. These are two of the Top 5 winning programs of all time, both have HOF coaches, the two winningest of all time, they haven't played in the regular season in more than 20 years, they have never (to my knowledge) played on each other's home courts. In the grand context of college basketball, Syracuse and Duke being in the same conference is almost inconceivable. When we play them for the first time in the dome and in Cameron, those will be historic moments for the sport. Not just for SU, not just for Duke - for every fan of the sport. Records will be broken for on campus crowd size, combined victories on the sideline, etc.

If you are insecure about that, don't go to the game and don't watch it on TV. What else can I tell you?

imo, The acc wants to turn the carrier dome into a msg like atmomsphere , but when we go down to cameron I expect it will be a true road game like at pitt or nova, Hopefully with fair refs. I am not saying we won't have a home advantage but we won't get a whistle home advantage or a hostile arena I think of it as more of a overwhelming feeling then hostile for opponents. Some areans road teams can't even think straight when they are shooting foul shots, and start off down by 15-25 points.

A big part of the carrier dome not being overly hostile is the lack of students on the one side of the court. Heck some courts they surround the entire court. Sadly Locals don't get as rowdy as students, wish we could change that in the lower tiers.

I think NBA arenas can be very hostile, but for some reason local college basketball fans think they are to old to get hostile at times, and give in to the thought its the students job to be loud and hostile. Truth is its a choice to be rowdy and bleed orange reguardless of age. There is no right or wrong awnser, no reason we can't have 50 year old alumnis with painted orange stomaches opposite the student section. We are given a opportunity, we make of it what we will, there is nobody stopping us from screaming all game and becoming more crazy.

Last edited:
I'm not telling people to cool it, or be proper. It's college basketball. Cheer your heart out, make a fool out of yourself.
The week of the game, ramp it up. Buy the t-shirt. The day of the game, go nuts, create some ear damage, have the place shaking, create as much home advantage as we can. Right now I am excited about the whole season, the whole ACC schedule, the tougher early season that includes Maui and Indiana, Villanova and St. John's. I don't know why we are fixated on Duke when it's still November. What are they, royalty? What are we, mashed potatoes? (Well, maybe shaky potatoes).

I'm tired of hearing this. These are two of the Top 5 winning programs of all time, both have HOF coaches, the two winningest of all time, they haven't played in the regular season in more than 20 years, they have never (to my knowledge) played on each other's home courts. In the grand context of college basketball, Syracuse and Duke being in the same conference is almost inconceivable. When we play them for the first time in the dome and in Cameron, those will be historic moments for the sport. Not just for SU, not just for Duke - for every fan of the sport. Records will be broken for on campus crowd size, combined victories on the sideline, etc.

If you are insecure about that, don't go to the game and don't watch it on TV. What else can I tell you?

This.

OF FREAKING COURSE this game will be hyped.

Inferior program? Chew on these numbers.

Combined wins 3812. Combined Coaching Victories 1889

Duke and Syracuse are both Royalty. How much hype goes into a unification bout?

Get a clue Mr. I just joined the board a week ago.

I'll enjoy the Duke game as much as I enjoy any other game-- a lot. More so if we win.

I'm not telling people to cool it, or be proper. It's college basketball. Cheer your heart out, make a fool out of yourself.
The week of the game, ramp it up. Buy the t-shirt. The day of the game, go nuts, create some ear damage, have the place shaking, create as much home advantage as we can. Right now I am excited about the whole season, the whole ACC schedule, the tougher early season that includes Maui and Indiana, Villanova and St. John's. I don't know why we are fixated on Duke when it's still November. What are they, royalty? What are we, mashed potatoes? (Well, maybe shaky potatoes).

Because Duke has been every Syracuse basketball fans infatuation since the inception of time. They have never played here against us so of course they are going to make a bigger deal out of that game than any other. I have no problem with it. Plus we are hosting gameday to boot.

There is also that 80-67 tourney game that fueled some hatred.

Because Duke has been every Syracuse basketball fans infatuation since the inception of time. They have never played here against us so of course they are going to make a bigger deal out of that game than any other. I have no problem with it. Plus we are hosting gameday to boot.

All that makes sense. It is a really big game. The fact that it is the first time they are here makes it special. I really don't have a problem with it, either. I guess I don't share the infatuation about Duke. UNC is a pretty big deal, too.

All that makes sense. It is a really big game. The fact that it is the first time they are here makes it special. I really don't have a problem with it, either. I guess I don't share the infatuation about Duke. UNC is a pretty big deal, too.

I really dont either but most people do. Like when the NCAA brackets come out and if we are ever in Dukes bracket people act like re tards at a chuckie cheese.

UNC would absolutely be a bigger deal if we hadn't "just" played them in 2009. But it also isn't Gameday, our first since that 2010 season. Still, UNC is going to have over 32,000 people which might be close to a record for a Monday night game. And knowing SU, we will absolutely have tshirts for that game.

I hate Duke as much as you love Uconn.
150px-Dive-sig-ok.jpg

I agree that people are free to make as big a deal about it as they want. That said, I personally can't put that much effort into a regular season game with no real repercussions to the season. Also, this is possibly the 5th biggest game of the year for Duke fans, so it can be interpreted as going overboard. I hope we win, just like every game, but if we lose it shouldn't be like we lost the Super Bowl.

I agree that people are free to make as big a deal about it as they want. That said, I personally can't put that much effort into a regular season game with no real repercussions to the season. Also, this is possibly the 5th biggest game of the year for Duke fans, so it can be interpreted as going overboard. I hope we win, just like every game, but if we lose it shouldn't be like we lost the Super Bowl.
5th biggest game for duke fans due to the fact they are douchebags. Yea, I said it. And the reason its big is because of entertainment value. Not repercussions. Manny pacquio mayweather has no repercussions in my life. But id hype it cause it'd be fun to watch. But some people like to piss in other peoples cheerios. And that's entertaining too. So have fun with it guys.

Of course Duke fans aren't looking forward to this. They have to play a better team outside of their beloved Cameron.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom