Duke Game... | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Duke Game...

Yes. Both teams had 16 to's. Imperfect but also some pinpoint passes and tough catches converted near crease by both. Refhuss end of game catch and contortionist sog as well as Scanlan's catch and backward release were memorable plays
Such a great game!

A reasonable take--but not the only one.

Generally speaking, the officiating crew appeared to be in over their collective head. I think they were a bit overwhelmed by the athleticism and skill level of the players. Does anyone know the experience level of those three?
mikko red arrow has been at it awhile and well respected:

blankner has been doing college games for over 15 years, including a lot of the big ones in nc the last several at least.

dlugozima is younger but was selected to do u19 worlds last summer and is a former player (now runs zimagear).

mikko red arrow has been at it awhile and well respected:

blankner has been doing college games for over 15 years, including a lot of the big ones in nc the last several at least.

dlugozima is younger but was selected to do u19 worlds last summer and is a former player (now runs zimagear).
Have any of them done Final Four games (not the be-all and end-all, I know, but a bit of an indicator)?

Have any of them done Final Four games (not the be-all and end-all, I know, but a bit of an indicator)?
i doubt it. in the article, red arrow talks about doing the 2014 div 2 or 3 champ game.

Initial check was on Harris right glove as he switching hands. Dislodged right glove but never came off then the bottom of his pole was checked . The ref had whistle in mouth as he did most of game but didnt blow it until the ball was in Murphy's stick. Call it what you will but Duke had good fortune as.it was a turnover going to happen . Duke scores after keeping possession. As the proverb goes, its how the ball bounces some times. Poor 2q was reason Cuse lost , play a better 2q and they win the game going away.

I just don’t get why we didn’t go to Varello sooner and run Kennedy on the wing .don’t think we get saw a pole there last night ?..really felt like FO strategy was mis managed last night. ...a handful more possessions and we might win that game by 3. I was really worried about the middle of the field before the game and we paid badly for it . Couldn’t win and couldn’t get the GB ball on the carpet . There was a lot of blood shed before Varello got a few . Painful to watch. Reminded me of another game and a guy named Brendan Fowler.

As a fan who never played and is new to the great sport...the faceoff has to go. Obviously officiated inconsistently and slows game down. Pull it from the net and go.
As a long time fan who has played a little bit, I agree. Faceoffs aren't even exciting and the ball is covered up or rolling around on the ground. Some lacrosse rules have already been changed to be like basketball, like the shot clock, to the benefit of the game. Why not alternate possessions too?

I just don’t get why we didn’t go to Varello sooner and run Kennedy on the wing .don’t think we get saw a pole there last night ?..really felt like FO strategy was mis managed last night. ...a handful more possessions and we might win that game by 3. I was really worried about the middle of the field before the game and we paid badly for it . Couldn’t win and couldn’t get the GB ball on the carpet . There was a lot of blood shed before Varello got a few . Painful to watch. Reminded me of another game and a guy named Brendan Fowler.

Kennedy was on the wing to start the game. Not sure how many of them he was out there for but I'd guess it was most.

Alternated with Barlow which is a underutilization Dearth and Aviles appeared to be alternating on opposite wing . Did not see Cook there . Kennedy ,Dearth, Fernandez had established track record when ball is in play. Again, very few scrums in some of these games to contest given clean wins and violations. Duke wings had one gb at X.

When Varello first started he'd put ball on carpet and let wings battle . Cuse used double pole to great effect with him , Martin and Desisle. Phaup tends to win or lose clean whether he's dominating UVA or struggling with Vermont. Both Phaup and Varello had big winning percentages last year but rule changes have affected many fogos. Fernandez was a fine sweeper off wing but the reality is he averaged less than three gb's a game last year despite being on every faceoff because Phaup came out with ball more than not. Right now faceoffs are an issue but gotta believe that our fogos adjust to changes and bounceback and that our wings will win their share in scrums. Hard follow with ND fogos as Gallagher and Leonard are problably the second best duo right now but few saw Phaup dominating LaScalla who has dominated most others

Alternated with Barlow which is a underutilization Dearth and Aviles appeared to be alternating on opposite wing . Did not see Cook there . Kennedy ,Dearth, Fernandez had established track record when ball is in play. Again, very few scrums in some of these games to contest given clean wins and violations. Duke wings had one gb at X.

When Varello first started he'd put ball on carpet and let wings battle . Cuse used double pole to great effect with him , Martin and Desisle. Phaup tends to win or lose clean whether he's dominating UVA or struggling with Vermont. Both Phaup and Varello had big winning percentages last year but rule changes have affected many fogos. Fernandez was a fine sweeper off wing but the reality is he averaged less than three gb's a game last year despite being on every faceoff because Phaup came out with ball more than not. Right now faceoffs are an issue but gotta believe that our fogos adjust to changes and bounceback and that our wings will win their share in scrums. Hard follow with ND fogos as Gallagher and Leonard are problably the second best duo right now but few saw Phaup dominating LaScalla who has dominated most others
I am very concerned about the fogos for the ND game and for the rest of the season. This is the ACC, not the MAAC!
Why was Garlow not brought in after Varello? Danowski was willing to give the frosh a chance early and look how that worked out. Depth at fogo should always be 3 guys and get the subs in when they are struggling.
This is a year when we clearly have the talent to get to the final 4 - where is the urgency?

Fair question. Practices results matter and perhaps younger depth not showing readiness though matchups agaisnt opponents may deliver different results. Still hard to turn it over to a greenish kid when you have proven fogos even when struggling. JeremyCuse had mentioned perhaps staff holding Savage back hoping to redshirt but think that is unlikely. Staff is likely developing and will give some game reps when one is deemed ready . On tapes, some did exit well but different level of speed

I am guessing we aren't seeing Garlow because the other two are beating him pretty handily in practice. And yes, Nasso is only a frosh but I think he was one of top 3 recruits at that position. It's not like he came out of nowhere.

The Savage thing I am not sure about, maybe we have all been reading too much into some offhand praise from Desko? If struggles continue and Savage is held to next year, and he looks good next year, there will be a lot of second guessing around here.

Besides holding out hope that Savage becomes a sort of savior, I am not sure what the next options are. To my knowledge none of the poles on the roster have experience facing off. Seeing another Brian McGill emerge is not likely.

My guess is that Desko and co chalk up the Duke struggles to the early violations and try for a clean slate against Notre Dame. Phaup is still the best FOGO on the team and I have to imagine coaches have to manage FOGOs mental side of things. If you show a lack of faith, your most talented guy might suffer a crisis of confidence. I think the best hope is that Phaup shakes this off and tries to get better for next game.

Fair question. Practices results matter and perhaps younger depth not showing readiness though matchups agaisnt opponents may deliver different results. Still hard to turn it over to a greenish kid when you have proven fogos even when struggling. JeremyCuse had mentioned perhaps staff holding Savage back hoping to redshirt but think that is unlikely. Staff is likely developing and will give some game reps when one is deemed ready . On tapes, some did exit well but different level of speed
who coaches the FOGOs since Kevin Donahue departed?

As far as the wings are concerned, with the new faceoff rules the superior fogo often picks up the ball in an instant, not giving a chance for the wings to get involved. We have said the wings were ineffective at times, but how many opportunities did they really have to make a play? Most faceoffs were won by Nasso in an instant. Maybe a couple times varello prolonged the clamp process, but mostly it was Nasso winning it cleanly before any harassment. Even when we won the clamp the Duke wings had no time to get involved. I thought one of the reasons they changed the faceoff was to make it more of a 3 v 3 scrum, but the changes have lead to the exact opposite, and certainly have not taken away one guy dominating. I will be forever salty with the rules committee changing it up for no good reason on such short notice and took us from a one of the best FOGO units in the country to a shaky inconsistent shell of last year. Hate it. We win this game with last years rules 10 out of 10 times.

As far as the wings are concerned, with the new faceoff rules the superior fogo often picks up the ball in an instant, not giving a chance for the wings to get involved. We have said the wings were ineffective at times, but how many opportunities did they really have to make a play? Most faceoffs were won by Nasso in an instant. Maybe a couple times varello prolonged the clamp process, but mostly it was Nasso winning it cleanly before any harassment. Even when we won the clamp the Duke wings had no time to get involved. I thought one of the reasons they changed the faceoff was to make it more of a 3 v 3 scrum, but the changes have lead to the exact opposite, and certainly have not taken away one guy dominating. I will be forever salty with the rules committee changing it up for no good reason on such short notice and took us from a one of the best FOGO units in the country to a shaky inconsistent shell of last year. Hate it. We win this game with last years rules 10 out of 10 times.
Still 100% spot on from TD Ierlan.

Think asst coach Constanza works with fogos . Not easy to jump into that role while NCAA changing rules and ways. Not going to dismiss our fogos, they have had much past success. Ierlan comments were prescient . Many adjusting, good ones struggling at times. Naso kid must be awfully good to have Ginder and McDonnell glued to the sidelines

Said it previous to game, Duke D isn't all that . You can get behind them, they ball watch some and their poles can be dodged on. Refhuss took two different poles to shed and that isn't his forte . Big deal made about cover on Hiltz . A frosh was basically face guarded occupying their best defender . Talk about respect, Cuse basically did the same thing that Cornell did with Teat when that tactic was used . Let the kid drag a defender out and play 5 on 5. Kid still had 1-2 .

like I said above SUs offense is ridiculous, possessions can’t be out of wack

I am guessing we aren't seeing Garlow because the other two are beating him pretty handily in practice. And yes, Nasso is only a frosh but I think he was one of top 3 recruits at that position. It's not like he came out of nowhere.

The Savage thing I am not sure about, maybe we have all been reading too much into some offhand praise from Desko? If struggles continue and Savage is held to next year, and he looks good next year, there will be a lot of second guessing around here.

Besides holding out hope that Savage becomes a sort of savior, I am not sure what the next options are. To my knowledge none of the poles on the roster have experience facing off. Seeing another Brian McGill emerge is not likely.

My guess is that Desko and co chalk up the Duke struggles to the early violations and try for a clean slate against Notre Dame. Phaup is still the best FOGO on the team and I have to imagine coaches have to manage FOGOs mental side of things. If you show a lack of faith, your most talented guy might suffer a crisis of confidence. I think the best hope is that Phaup shakes this off and tries to get better for next game.
I believe Naso was the number 1 FOGO of his class

Two super teams in an epic early season ACC battle. Good test for both teams. Both will get better. It’s just great that lacrosse is being played again.
i was ready to call "ROPE A DOPE" ala the great ALI . let them punch themselves out early and beat them up second half but alas it was not meant to be. still curious about the kennedy call. was that clarified ? but still we came so close. NEXT TIME DUKIES...

He's a duke fan, he's being sarcastic.
I just appreciate all of you a lot. No one loves lacrosse more or knows more about lacrosse. I come here for my fix, even if it is slanted heavily orange.

Even though Duke is consistently good, people here down South don’t have the fever. There are no good passionate lacrosse fan forums down here.

I just appreciate all of you a lot. No one loves lacrosse more or knows more about lacrosse. I come here for my fix, even if it is slanted heavily orange.

Even though Duke is consistently good, people here down South don’t have the fever. There are no good passionate lacrosse fan forums down here.
"Slanted heavily Orange"? Never noticed...

Great post. We have several posters who know lacrosse inside and out making it fun for all of us.

I just watched the first half of the Duke game again. The face-offs and the ground balls after the face-off were just plain UGLY. Phaup and Varello should have rotated after Phaup lost the first 3. We were simply outhustled on most of the groundballs. I guess we know what will be a focal part of practice this week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom