Duke Game... | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Duke Game...

I believe I have seen it officiated that way before, but I don't know the specifics of the rule book.
Actually he states the rule in his explanation on FanLax and I guess (begrudgingly) it looks like it was called correctly. What are the odds of that to happen?? Such bad luck there. Kennedy going after a long pole is almost always going to lead to the ball going our way.

Shouldn't that have been a penalty on Duke then? Believe playing on without a glove or stick is one. Regardless, ball should not have been given back to Duke as the caused turnover happened before the whistle.
if the offensive team is in possession it's immediate stoppage and ball back to offense. it does not matter when whistle occurs, it's timing of when ref sees infraction.
them's the rules.

There were some very strange and inconsistent calls last night, I noticed even more on the replay! We got called for delay when murph had been checked by the Duke player which assisted the ball
Flying further away. Later in the game a Duke player kicks the ball away , no call Murph even gestured the flag and asked for the call!...nothing!

It was maybe down to the rain but we had some poor turnover on the clear and also the final feed passing off our back foot - Trimbo to Chase, Chase to Trimbo and Dordy guilty on goal scoring opportunities.

All in all it was a one goal game and its March, if we continue to improve learn and find the right guys we will be dangerous in May. We need to find a little more aggression and swagger.

Safety issue is an immediate stoppage of play.

Did the issue occur before or after Kennedy knocked the ball loose? We'll never know. ;)

Helmer got penalty last year for playing on when stick momentarily lost before stop seconds later . Unortunate turn of events . Instead of our ball ,. Duke scores seconds later from premature slide off Sowers.

Safety issue is an immediate stoppage of play.

Did the issue occur before or after Kennedy knocked the ball loose? We'll never know. ;)
his glove is flapping for over 10 yards.
tough break.

Helmer got penalty last year for playing on when stick momentarily lost before stop seconds later . Unortunate turn of events . Instead of our ball ,. Duke scores seconds later from premature slide off Sowers.
the difference is whether you are in possession of the ball.

Said it previous to game, Duke D isn't all that . You can get behind them, they ball watch some and their poles can be dodged on. Refhuss took two different poles to shed and that isn't his forte . Big deal made about cover on Hiltz . A frosh was basically face guarded occupying their best defender . Talk about respect, Cuse basically did the same thing that Cornell did with Teat when that tactic was used . Let the kid drag a defender out and play 5 on 5. Kid still had 1-2 .

Said it previous to game, Duke D isn't all that . You can get behind them, they ball watch some and their poles can be dodged on. Refhuss took two different poles to shed and that isn't his forte . Big deal made about cover on Hiltz . A frosh was basically face guarded occupying their best defender . Talk about respect, Cuse basically did the same thing that Cornell did with Teat when that tactic was used . Let the kid drag a defender out and play 5 on 5. Kid still had 1-2 .
Yes. I would guess that Duke won’t get any better from here on out, this being their first ACC game. They just don’t have enough talent, and their coach doesn’t seem to understand how to get better as the season progresses.

In regards to the first midfield, I think they are struggling a bit with all the different looks they are getting. Last season, most teams to my memory played them straight up, the long pole on Trimboli and shorties on both Dordevic and Curry. So far this season, they've seen three different approaches - first two games saw poles on both Trimboli and Dordevic, UVM and Stony Brook put a pole on only Dordevic, and now Duke decided to pole Curry and face-guard Dordevic (which seemed to really annoy him).

It seems like in most games its been taking them a while to figure out how best to attack with different matchups. They clearly like attacking shortsticks and it looked like against Duke they really wanted to invert and called upon Dordevic to do it (it felt like he had the ball in his stick a lot). It took him a while to get comfortable in this role, but finished with two nice assists and a goal. Honestly the unit looks best when Curry in inverting against a short stick, but thats clearly why Duke decided to pole him. I think overall the team just needs to a do a better job preparing for all the different looks they are likely to get this season and have a better plan going in. This is obviously easier said than done. I guess one of the drawbacks to having three very good midfielders is teams will try and use different strategies to shut them down, and Syracuse has to learn to counter all those looks.

The Trimboli thing is weird to me - he has been drawing the short stick for most of the season, but has been very quiet, especially compared to last year. He's not playing badly, he's still shooting 44% on the year, he's just not involving himself much. I don't know if this is some sort of strategy on the coaches part but he looks a little lost to me, and after last season's excellent start, that doesn't really make sense to me.

It seems a little silly to question the offense after putting up the numbers they did with such a possession deficit, but are they becoming too focused on match ups? Desko admitted they sacrificed Hiltz to avoid Giles-Harris, but he was still producing early in the game against the vaunted defender and I didn't really notice a time when Giles-Harris outright won his matchup on Hiltz. I would like to see the staff try and balance out the talent and the matchups, so players like Hiltz aren't merely a decoy. I know they have a lot of mouths to feed on offense, but don't let guys starve out there.

Then why the delay in blowing the play dead?
because he called it when he saw it and it doesn't take giles-harris and kennedy long to cover 10 yards? he clearly has the whistle up to his mouth prior to and as the check occurs.

To my eye it seems as though the only reason JT Giles even loses the ball in the first place is due to the equipment malfunction. Unfortunate for the Orange but seems like the right call.

One call that did appear to go Cuse's way was the clearing violation on Duke where they failed to advance in 60 seconds. On the broadcast, Duke clearly got it over in time, but maybe ACC Network's timer was different from the one on the field.

In regards to the first midfield, I think they are struggling a bit with all the different looks they are getting. Last season, most teams to my memory played them straight up, the long pole on Trimboli and shorties on both Dordevic and Curry. So far this season, they've seen three different approaches - first two games saw poles on both Trimboli and Dordevic, UVM and Stony Brook put a pole on only Dordevic, and now Duke decided to pole Curry and face-guard Dordevic (which seemed to really annoy him).

It seems like in most games its been taking them a while to figure out how best to attack with different matchups. They clearly like attacking shortsticks and it looked like against Duke they really wanted to invert and called upon Dordevic to do it (it felt like he had the ball in his stick a lot). It took him a while to get comfortable in this role, but finished with two nice assists and a goal. Honestly the unit looks best when Curry in inverting against a short stick, but thats clearly why Duke decided to pole him. I think overall the team just needs to a do a better job preparing for all the different looks they are likely to get this season and have a better plan going in. This is obviously easier said than done. I guess one of the drawbacks to having three very good midfielders is teams will try and use different strategies to shut them down, and Syracuse has to learn to counter all those looks.

The Trimboli thing is weird to me - he has been drawing the short stick for most of the season, but has been very quiet, especially compared to last year. He's not playing badly, he's still shooting 44% on the year, he's just not involving himself much. I don't know if this is some sort of strategy on the coaches part but he looks a little lost to me, and after last season's excellent start, that doesn't really make sense to me.

It seems a little silly to question the offense after putting up the numbers they did with such a possession deficit, but are they becoming too focused on match ups? Desko admitted they sacrificed Hiltz to avoid Giles-Harris, but he was still producing early in the game against the vaunted defender and I didn't really notice a time when Giles-Harris outright won his matchup on Hiltz. I would like to see the staff try and balance out the talent and the matchups, so players like Hiltz aren't merely a decoy. I know they have a lot of mouths to feed on offense, but don't let guys starve out there.

Yeah I was focused more on Trimboli more last night than the previous games for some reason. While it is nice this offense has enough options that no one needs to really press, I think it would be nice to see Trimboli start asserting himself more moving forward.

I think the positive looking ahead for the offense is that they haven't come close to reaching their potential.

I think dodging has become at least somewhat Rehfuss' forte this season. He has blown by long poles in every game that we played this year besides the Army opener. He seriously needs to be included in conversations of top attack in the nation. Agree that Duke had some questionable team defense moments. From what I have seen the weakest part of Giles Harris' game is his offball play. Particularly in the 2019 game, we caught him ball watching numerous times that directly lead to goals, and I have seen it happen in other games as well. Thought it was an odd decision to have him in that role, but maybe there is a lack of trust in the other longpoles doing that task.

Trimbo is simply is not getting as many touches as offense is not initiating as much from up top nor as relied upon now given emergence of attack. Curry registered two but he was also relatively quiet . All good but some adjusting going on. Second line was actually 'nosier' in their limited p/t but their adjustment playing off new attack unit is an easier transition
Thought there was clear attempt in HC game to get Scanlan humming and he is now in sync. Unfortunately our upcoming schedule doesn't allow the same to b e done for Trimbo but he'll be fine in long run as focus of opposing defenses will shift game to game. ND close d is good as is their goalie so ball will likely kick out more and afford him more opportunity

because he called it when he saw it and it doesn't take giles-harris and kennedy long to cover 10 yards? he clearly has the whistle up tprior to and as the check occurs.
A reasonable take--but not the only one.

Generally speaking, the officiating crew appeared to be in over their collective head. I think they were a bit overwhelmed by the athleticism and skill level of the players. Does anyone know the experience level of those three?

Yes. I would guess that Duke won’t get any better from here on out, this being their first ACC game. They just don’t have enough talent, and their coach doesn’t seem to understand how to get better as the season progresses.
Realize that you are being facetious . Duke talent obviously prime and deep. Sowers , Adler and Naso as well as the rook and injury returns make this a much better team than last but my belief that they were in a different tier was dispelled last night. Cuse will also be getting better, in hindsight too bad Ierlan didnt stay close to home

Realize that you are being facetious . Duke talent obviously prime and deep. Sowers , Adler and Naso as well as the rook and injury returns make this a much better team than last but my belief that they were in a different tier was dispelled last night. Cuse will also be getting better, in hindsight too bad Ierlan didnt stay close to home
As efficient as the offense was, we could have scored so much more. Our movement on O is fantastic, but at least 2 or 3 times we had guys open and the passer just threw a sizzler over their head for no reason at all. Duke D was shaky in the abbreviated season in 2020 and rather than them vastly improving, they are getting massive help from a far better goalie and a new dominant FOGO. Calling them not all that is more than fair. We should have scored more.

As efficient as the offense was, we could have scored so much more. Our movement on O is fantastic, but at least 2 or 3 times we had guys open and the passer just threw a sizzler over their head for no reason at all. Duke D was shaky in the abbreviated season in 2020 and rather than them vastly improving, they are getting massive help from a far better goalie and a new dominant FOGO. Calling them not all that is more than fair. We should have scored more.

This ^

To my eye it seems as though the only reason JT Giles even loses the ball in the first place is due to the equipment malfunction. Unfortunate for the Orange but seems like the right call.

One call that did appear to go Cuse's way was the clearing violation on Duke where they failed to advance in 60 seconds. On the broadcast, Duke clearly got it over in time, but maybe ACC Network's timer was different from the one on the field.
He lost the ball because the bottom of his pole was checked. Ill check replay but didnt see ref with whistle in mouth. Duke got bailed out. Stephenson check on Trimboli in 1q was up near neck with running start. Cuse gets one min called for that if opposite happens. Going to sit with d3 ref later and look at the fogo violations because some looked questionable. That facet of game has to be called consistently but it hasn't game two game

Belief without evidence? It is my understanding that Danowski has a track record of his teams improving and winning titles at the end of the year. I also think SU will also improve but to say that this is as good as Duke will get feels like a reach.

There were also some bad clears and passes made all over the field. Some as I recall were unforced errors and not the result of intense riding or defensive pressure.

Yes. Both teams had 16 to's. Imperfect but also some pinpoint passes and tough catches converted near crease by both. Refhuss end of game catch and contortionist sog as well as Scanlan's catch and backward release were memorable plays

Belief without evidence? It is my understanding that Danowski has a track record of his teams improving and winning titles at the end of the year. I also think SU will also improve but to say that this is as good as Duke will get feels like a reach.

He's a duke fan, he's being sarcastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom