Early Signing period | Syracusefan.com

Early Signing period

Faegan

All Conference
So the early signing period is on December 2oth.

Do we know who plans to sign early? Not sure if I missed something.

Last edited:
So the early signing period is on December 2oth, according to this SB Nation article?

Recruiting changes are coming

Jeremy Crabtree
‏Verified account @jeremycrabtree 3m3 minutes ago
72-hour early signing period beginning Dec. 20, 2017, passing wasn't a surprise. Surprise came in timing of vote. Vote was set for mid-June.

First heard the words "early signing period" mentioned by coaches in 2002. 15 years later, it's reality after today's surprise vote by CCA.

But one conference commissioner told me after NCAA recruiting reform passed this spring "there was no need to wait until June, so we voted."

And before you ask, there is not a waiver for kids that sign early and a coaching change happens. Have to go thru normal NLI appeal process.

If a kid is unsure if the coach will be staying or not that would be a reason to hold off.

So the early signing period is on December 2oth, according to this SB Nation article?

Hopefully they all do but I believe Sampson and Wallace plan to sign early because they’re enrolling in Jan.

If a kid is unsure if the coach will be staying or not that would be a reason to hold off.

If a kid is basing his decision on a coach, he would be nearly stupid to sign early until protections are put in place in case of coaching changes.

The best coach in the country could be signed to the NFL. It's unnecessary risk.

With the new academic rules I wonder if it wouldn't be prudent to pocket a couple of ships for the borderline academic kids. Inevitably some big time kids on the fence who nobody will sign are going to qualify late.

Last edited:

shocking the big dogs hate it. What's funny is the article says "nobody saban has spoken to is happy with it".....yet I've heard Dino and the Toledo HC on the radio say they WERE happy with it. I'm sure everybody is happy except the elite teams.

The Toledo coach this morning said one interesting thing (or implied I forget which) but he talked about having to spend time/money taking trips in January to deliver the same message over and over to a kid just to hold onto him. It's time/money he doesn't have to spend now.

Boohoo on Saban having to do more work up front and accelerate the process so he can't come in on the 11th hour and poach somebody.

If a kid doesn't have a written offer in hand by Dec20 it's a gamble to wait. I truly think kids will be better off in the long run signing with the schools that wanted them from the get go and who have real genuine relationships with those schools.

Last edited:
shocking the big dogs hate it. What's funny is the article says "nobody saban has spoken to is happy with it"...yet I've heard Dino and the Toledo HC on the radio say they WERE happy with it. I'm sure everybody is happy except the elite teams.

The Toledo coach this morning said one interesting thing (or implied I forget which) but he talked about having to spend time/money taking trips to deliver the same message over and over to a kid just to hold onto him. It's time/money he doesn't have to spend now.

Boohoo on Saban having to do more work up front and accelerate the process so he can't come in on the 11th hour and poach somebody.

If a kid doesn't have a written offer in hand by Dec20 it's a gamble to wait. I truly think kids will be better off in the long run signing with the schools that wanted them from the get go and who have real genuine relationships with those schools.

Totally agree with you. The one gripe I can understand from Saban is the timing right in the middle of bowl preparations. But not sure when else you would have it? Nick has plenty of recruiting support staff to handle that problem anyway.

Totally agree with you. The one gripe I can understand from Saban is the timing right in the middle of bowl preparations. But not sure when else you would have it? Nick has plenty of recruiting support staff to handle that problem anyway.
that's why it was pure genius by the SU staff to tank the rest of the season after beating Clemson - none of these pesky practice and bowl game distractions for the SU staff - 100% focus on recruiting!

Football (Early Period for Division I) December 20, 2017 December 22, 2017
Football (Midyear JC Transfer) December 20, 2017 January 15, 2018

Just a reminder about the early signing days and the signing period for JUCOs. The early signing period is a three day period. I am sure that the SU coaches are having all the commits sign on Wed but there can always be a surprise.

Also the commits are not allowed to begin signing and submitting their NLIs until exactly 7:01 on Wed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom