Ennis on his way to being the 4th or 5th PG picked? | Syracusefan.com

Ennis on his way to being the 4th or 5th PG picked?

GoSU96 said:
At best. Yikes

I said this a few weeks ago and said he could be 5th and maybe behind Napier and I was trashed.

JB was right and those in the pros who know him listened.

he isn't a consistent shooter. And to play in the NBA you better be able to knock down open looks. Still think he will be a very good NBA player but thats why he is falling

These kids need to listen to JB he knows and he is honest. They both screwed up big time

he isn't a consistent shooter. And to play in the NBA you better be able to knock down open looks. Still think he will be a very good NBA player but thats why he is falling

Elfrid Payton disagrees. ; )

If Suns want to play fast - not sure about their pick. Heat should have pushed for Ennis over Napier.

Puhleeze.
Gotta love all the draft "experts" on this board. I guess Donte going 18th & making millions was a "bad decision" as well?
Ridiculous. SMDH

Puhleeze.
Gotta love all the draft "experts" on this board. I guess Donte going 18th & making millions was a "bad decision" as well?
Ridiculous. SMDH

Speaking of draft "experts," Donte didn't go 18th.

Speaking of draft "experts," Donte didn't go 18th.
Even better- he went 28th (my bad) and STILL made millions.
Ennis is drafted 18th so he most likely is in an even better position moving forward. Tyler will be fine.

Last edited:
Even better- he went 28th (my bad) and STILL made millions.
Ennis is drafted 18th so he most likely in a better position moving forward.

What you seem to either intentionally ignore or not understand is that a professional career isn't just about a one time money grab. The guaranteed money at the end of the first round--at #28 where Donte was drafted--is under $1M per year. Approx. $900k today; not sure what it was several years ago when Donte entered the league, but possibly significantly less, adjusted for time. So even landing that contract isn't great compared to what might prospectively happen if you return for a year and go around #15, where the rookie pay scale is approx. $1.5.

The ROI on the second option surpasses option #1 in just over one year. Let that sink in for a second. So if the point is: Donte made some money--BFD. He could have made a lot more had he made a better decision, even if his career ended up being the one-contract money grab that it [so far] has ended up being.

Perhaps if he'd remained in college for another year, maybe he would have been more prepared to contribute at the next level, and possibly even earned a second contract. I wonder what that might have done for his net worth.

This really isn't a difficult concept to grasp. Professional athletes have a limited shelf life of earning potential, and it behooves them to make the best strategic career decisions to maximize their potential earnings. Earning some quick cash doesn't amount to maximizing potential earnings, which is why Donte is a tremendously poor example to point to.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale

Last edited:
He's gonna make 4 million over next 3 years. You can say he could've been lottery. You can also say he would've been picked apart and his stock would have been lower. I don't think it's cut and dry either way...but ultimately if he wanted to be paid to play basketball and not have go to college classes, he made the right decision.

What you seem to either intentionally ignore or not understand is that a professional career isn't just about a one time money grab. The guaranteed money at the end of the first round--at #28 where Donte was drafted--is under $1M per year. Approx. $900k today; not sure what it was several years ago when Donte entered the league, but possibly significantly less, adjusted for time. So even landing that contract isn't great compared to what might prospectively happen if you return for a year and go around #15, where the rookie pay scale is approx. $1.5.

The ROI on the second option surpasses option #1 in just over one year. Let that sink in for a second. So if the point is: Donte made some money--BFD. He could have made a lot more had he made a better decision, even if his career ended up being the one-contract money grab that it [so far] has ended up being.

Perhaps if he'd remained in college for another year, maybe he would have been more prepared to contribute at the next level, and possibly even earned a second contract. I wonder what that might have done for his net worth.

This really isn't a difficult concept to grasp. Professional athletes have a limited shelf life of earning potential, and it behooves them to make the best strategic career decisions to maximize their potential earnings. Earning some quick cash doesn't amount to maximizing potential earnings, which is why Donte is a tremendously poor example to point to.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/info/rookie_scale
All due respect, but neither you nor I have any idea what "the best strategic career decisions" are for any of these kids. We have our opinions, but obviously we are not athletes nor do we share the life experiences of most of these kids. I prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt. We can both give examples of successes and failures on either side of this situation. You call Donte Greene, I raise you Kawhi Leonard, Danny Green, and Chandler Parsons.
I stand by my call on Donte and Jerami in that they made the right decisions FOR THEM, and I honestly believe that if you asked them, they wouldn't change a thing. The rest of this message board fodder is just rhetoric.
Congrats and good luck to them. JMHO.

All due respect, but neither you nor I have any idea what "the best strategic career decisions" are for any of these kids. We have our opinions, but obviously we are not athletes nor do we share the life experiences of most of these kids. I prefer to give them the benefit of the doubt. We can both give examples of successes and failures on either side of this situation. You call Donte Greene, I raise you Kawhi Leonard, Danny Green, and Chandler Parsons.
I stand by my call on Donte and Jerami in that they made the right decisions FOR THEM, and I honestly believe that if you asked them, they wouldn't change a thing. The rest of this message board fodder is just rhetoric.
Congrats and good luck to them. JMHO.

Kawhi Leonard was the #15 pick in the draft. Donte was the #28. That's not a good comparison. If Donte had been the #15 pick in the draft, he would have DOUBLED his professional earnings--which is the same point I made in my last response to you above. Opportunity cost is a helluva thing.

I don't mean to be argumentative, I just happen to think you're off on this topic. Especially when you suggest that Donte and Jerami made the "right" decisions with respect to their professional careers. For the record, I understand Donte's family needs, and we've heard allusions about Jerami's family financial needs. But it is pretty clear that neither of these examples played out positively.

Both players' professional stories are still being written. I suppose that's something.

Have a good night.

Donte Greene is making six figures a year to play basketball. which I imagine is better than most people with one year of college are doing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom