Eric Dungey to the NY Giants UDFA | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Eric Dungey to the NY Giants UDFA

What are you doing on a fan forum if you don’t have any emotional investment in Syracuse athletics? And why put down someone for wanting to see someone who gave us countless memories succeed beyond college? I never post on here but this is the first time I’ve seen something that I can’t hold back on

Where did he say he didn't have an emotional investment in SU athletics.

Dungey was never going to be drafted. To get upset that it didn't happen is silly.

This post is RutgersAl territory. You haven't taken this path since defending all Shafer's amazing recruiting classes and coaching prowess. Welcome back.

Ha

He has tremendous athleticism - he is tough and he can run.

He is also super smart.

But, he probably does not have an NFL arm.

I suspect that that is what concerns the NFL scouts.
I agree and said as much. I did not say he was not athletic, just that his athleticism wasn't elite enough to make a team take a chance on him in the draft. You know, 4.4 40 type speed, like some other qb's that eventually moved to other positions.

So you can see how those outside the program view him but are surprised he didn't get drafted?

I’m not surprised he didn’t get drafted. But I am surprised he hasn’t signed a FA deal basked on other QBs that have. Dungey has accomplished more, done more, shown more and has more potential than some if not many. A couple are garbage. Leads me to believe one of two things are true. He has offers and is negotiating the best deal or it’s a medical issue.

This post is RutgersAl territory. You haven't taken this path since defending all Shafer's amazing recruiting classes and coaching prowess. Welcome back.

Lol. I am owning my orange-colored glasses - but apparently that's a bridge too far for you. I'm a fan and wanted Eric Dungey to get a chance to get drafted. I also root for whomever the coach is at the time and try to be optimistic. I've been 100% honest about it. I'll take my lumps, happily.

I love that optimism drives you so crazy. Helps me imagine the kind of dude you are.

I think you just wanted to be the only person I actively ignore on the forum. Achievement unlocked.

So you can see how those outside the program view him but are surprised he didn't get drafted?

I was holding out hope that someone would take a chance on the kind of player he is and see him like the Saints use Tasom Hill. People around here act like it's crazy to see him in that light.

To be clear - I did not see him as a QB that would be drafted in a traditional role, based on arm talent. But the guy has a bunch of other attributes that I think would be helpful for an NFL team.

I didn't think this was a crazy opinion?

Poor arm and a lengthy injury history. I think you're kidding yourselves if you thought he would get drafted.

7th round picks are effectively garbage. Yeah, I thought there was a chance he would get a look by a team who wants a warrior type that knows how to win who may do better with the trainers the NFL has to offer.

This is a bad take.

Like it or not Sports fans when they see the team win or lose it usually triggers an emotional reaction. I don’t think anyone is super emotionally upset by this and is keeping themselves up at night... But to not be a bit disappointed that a QB who has literally changed our program, is being ignored, while some Duke QB goes 6th overall, yes is frustrating.
Personally I don't believe that ED is solely responsible for changing our program as you say. He missed many games and made many mistakes that a lot of SU fans over look. There were many players on the team that had just as much, if not more, impact on SU's rise. I have never seen enough QB skill in ED at the NFL level. When he could play he left it all on the field, but so did many others.

I’m not surprised he didn’t get drafted. But I am surprised he hasn’t signed a FA deal basked on other QBs that have. Dungey has accomplished more, done more, shown more and has more potential than some if not many. A couple are garbage. Leads me to believe one of two things are true. He has offers and is negotiating the best deal or it’s a medical issue.
I have expected a FA deal. I hope injuries aren't scaring teams away.

I was holding out hope that someone would take a chance on the kind of player he is and see him like the Saints use Tasom Hill. People around here act like it's crazy to see him in that light.

To be clear - I did not see him as a QB that would be drafted in a traditional role, based on arm talent. But the guy has a bunch of other attributes that I think would be helpful for an NFL team.

Hope and expectation are two different things.

Personally I don't believe that ED is solely responsible for changing our program as you say. He missed many games and made many mistakes that a lot of SU fans over look. There were many players on the team that had just as much, if not more, impact on SU's rise. I have never seen enough QB skill in ED at the NFL level. When he could play he left it all on the field, but so did many others.

OK...Clearly there are a lot of factors revolving around the SU resurgence. Football is obviously a team sport. However, to say there are others over the last four years who made as much or more of an impact on SU’s rise is flat out incorrect. It just is...

Wishing the best for Eric. Just want to see him to see him have a chance. Not only did the kid help turn the program around but he was flat out fun to watch. The way Trace McSorley has been canonized is absolutely nuts. No shame in our fan base wishing Eric the best, rooting for him and envisioning NFL scenarios where he can contribute.

SUOrange44

Lol. I am owning my orange-colored glasses - but apparently that's a bridge too far for you. I'm a fan and wanted Eric Dungey to get a chance to get drafted. I also root for whomever the coach is at the time and try to be optimistic. I've been 100% honest about it. I'll take my lumps, happily.

I love that optimism drives you so crazy. Helps me imagine the kind of dude you are.

I think you just wanted to be the only person I actively ignore on the forum. Achievement unlocked.

Wow! Possibly the easiest achievement I've ever won. I'd say thank you but you won't see it.

I stand by my thinking, historically. I think RutgersAl would respond in much the same way.

Keep in mind, you attacked another poster initially because that poster didn't think he would get drafted. It's crazy to get upset by a poster not being surprised he didn't get drafted, then suggesting you're a better fan because YOU are wearing the orange glasses. I'm not sure sporting those during the Shafer mess is a badge of honor.

The months leading up to this last weekend suggested it was very likely ED wouldn't be drafted whether you believe it's fair or not. It's not like this is some massive surprise, seems like half the board realized he probably wasn't going to be drafted. Doesn't make a less of fans because of it. That's just silly.

Taysom Hill was faster than the entire BYU team. Comparison isn’t that valid.

Now here’s the thing Dungey is better at running the football than any NFL QB that has a better 40 time than him in the same way that Emmit Smith was a better rb than all the guys with better 40 times in the 90s bar Barry Sanders. But that’s not enough to get him drafted. Could win him a job out of camp though.

I think Dungey should go to the CFL and dominate personally.

This is probably a repeat of what's already been said but I'll weight in anyway.

Am I surprised Dungey didn't get drafted? Not at all. Loved him as a Syracuse QB, but even he admitted in an article not that long ago that his mechanics needed a lot of work when he went to work with Jake Heaps. Plus then you enter in the health situation - regardless of what it was, he missed a lot of games.

But I am stunned a free agent offer and camp invite apparently hasn't come his way yet. I figured he had shown enough to at least get a look in camp and I still hope one does come his way, so he at least has a shot to show what he can do.

But it's hard to make the NFL. Looking at Gil Brandt's undrafted free agent rankings this weekend, there are a lot of good college players on it.

This is probably a repeat of what's already been said but I'll weight in anyway.

Am I surprised Dungey didn't get drafted? Not at all. Loved him as a Syracuse QB, but even he admitted in an article not that long ago that his mechanics needed a lot of work when he went to work with Jake Heaps. Plus then you enter in the health situation - regardless of what it was, he missed a lot of games.

But I am stunned a free agent offer and camp invite apparently hasn't come his way yet. I figured he had shown enough to at least get a look in camp and I still hope one does come his way, so he at least has a shot to show what he can do.

But it's hard to make the NFL. Looking at Gil Brandt's undrafted free agent rankings this weekend, there are a lot of good college players on it.

hmmm... I wonder if his injury issues were a liability concern for teams?

Hope and expectation are two different things.

Thanks. I had no idea.

In all seriousness, it was an open question. If you'd told me "he got drafted in the 7th" - I'd have believed you. If you told me "he signed as a FA" - I'd have believed you.

Yes.

Poor stupid SOB

Lions are on a Titantic style journey right now. Everyone was happy, then all of sudden, plunging to the depths of the NFL ocean.

Your offended? How can you, personally, be offended by something that is happening to someone else?

They have a word for that concept in the dictionary.

I love Dungey and would be thrilled to be wrong about this, but I just think it comes down to the lack of velocity that he puts on his throws. I don't know if it's mechanics, or injuries he's dealt with, but the ball doesn't seem to have the same level of zip that Nassib or even freshman Devito are able to put on their quick reads or deep balls. Like when Tommy came in at the end of UNC, it felt like the ball was being zipped around the field in a way I never saw from ED.

Chargers are possibly showing interest in Eric Dungey. The Chargers could be bringing him in for a workout later this week. The Chargers did draft a qb(Easton Stick in the 5th round) and have Cardale Jones as a back-up to Rivers. This may be more to guage Eric's interest in playing a different role on the team. NFL teams in general are aware of Eric and there is interest from other teams. They are aware that Eric is a great athlete and competitor but then again, so is anyone else who wants to play at the NFL level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom