Eric Dungey to the NY Giants UDFA | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Eric Dungey to the NY Giants UDFA

This is a tough roster to crack as a UFA QB. Eli is going nowhere, they aren't going to get rid of a #6 Jones even if he is outperformed, Alex Tanney was signed through next year I believe, and Lauletta is signed through next year as well.
He needs to show that he has enough "swiss army knife" in him to be more valuable than one of the back ups, because they aren't carrying 5 qb's on a roster. Hopefully he shows good enough hands that they'll want to hang on to him as some sort of special package guy that can line up in multiple positions.
Saw a clip of him wearing 12 yesterday throwing back and forth with Jones. Gave me goose bumps as a Giants fan.
He will make it awfully tough to be cut. I guarantee none of those QB's has his drive, and his heart.

This is a great take.

Lauletta and Tanney are toast IMHO. Signed doesn't mean anything anymore, especially on these baseline deals. Not saying Dungey makes it as the 3rd QB, but I agree that it's going to be awfully tough to cut him. He can instantly fill in on STs and will be a dual threat mock-up on the practice squad.

Ward played qb in college too.

Fair but Hines Ward threw only 2 passes in the NFL. Randle El had 27. Not really a huge difference but i think ARE was utilized more as a specialty than Ward

For any of those waxing poetic about Ryan Nassib, it's worth remembering that he couldn't throw the deep ball to save his life.

And he got to hold the sideline clipboard for a while.

Don't count out Dungey at QB.

I remember him as having a strong arm, better than Dungeys. Also quite an improvement on Greg Paulus, who threw interceptions when he didn't throw short.

I remember him as having a strong arm, better than Dungeys. Also quite an improvement on Greg Paulus, who threw interceptions when he didn't throw short.
I thought Ryan's issue was more touch...good early feedback on Eric. Hope he gets a shot somewhere. Even a backup QB career in the NFL gets paid some decent money and doesn't take the hits.

Blake Bortles starts at QB on an NFL team. That alone let’s you know Dungey absolutely has a shot. Just matters if the pieces fall into place and he makes the most of his opportunity.

I hope Dungey carves out a role for himself, but I can't help but feel like this guy:

I wonder if the Giants told him no flipping off water towers when he goes back home?

I hope Dungey carves out a role for himself, but I can't help but feel like this guy:

So what if a team saw what Taysom Hill did and thought “let’s a take a flyer on this kid?” Why does he think teams aren’t doing those other things?

Twitter, where snark is a sport

So what if a team saw what Taysom Hill did and thought “let’s a take a flyer on this kid?” Why does he think teams aren’t doing those other things?

Twitter, where snark is a sport

To the latter question, teams aren't really doing those things (with the exception of the 3rd one probably).

Re: Taysom Hill; I'm not really sure he's actually a valuable NFL player, at least not with New Orleans. Any time you're taking Brees off the field is a bad move IMO.

I'm rooting like hell for Dungey, and if him having a job in the NFL requires a team to think having a guy like Hill is valuable, then I'll take it. I just don't really think it's actually an asset to use a guy like that.

To the latter question, teams aren't really doing those things (with the exception of the 3rd one probably).

Re: Taysom Hill; I'm not really sure he's actually a valuable NFL player, at least not with New Orleans. Any time you're taking Brees off the field is a bad move IMO.

I'm rooting like hell for Dungey, and if him having a job in the NFL requires a team to think having a guy like Hill is valuable, then I'll take it. I just don't really think it's actually an asset to use a guy like that.
Belichick agrees with your logic.

I’ve never understood why you can’t have two guys on the field who can throw the ball.

I’ve never understood why you can’t have two guys on the field who can throw the ball.

Having two guys that can throw is cool if one of them is a factor in other ways. Taysom Hill, for all his hype, didn't really do anything as a pass catcher or a passer for that matter. The snaps in which he did anything were almost exclusively just QB keepers in which they preferred him running the ball rather than giving it to more talented runners or just letting Brees make a play. He wasn't a good passer and was non-existent as a receiving threat so putting him and Brees on the field at the same time was basically just playing 10 on 11.

I think it was just a hot take special from a guy looking for likes and retweets - "Look, I'm smarter than NFL GM's" is a popular genre on ye ole twitter

I agree with you that it's not a huge deal, but honestly at this point of Eli's career it might be a good thing for hime to throw less, lol

I actually think it was smart for Eric to take this deal because it gives the Giants another reason to keep him on the roster. He needs time and a shot to learn and stick for a bit.

They used to have four of them. Any of them could take the snap, hand off or pass to any of them. The result was pretty creative compared to what you see today.

Last edited:
I'd like to see Eric on special teams like Jim Jensen on the Dolphins in the late 80s, early 90s. 3rd team QB who covered kicks, punt protector and I think even emergency TE and LB. Heck, I think Eric is fast enough and good enough hands to return kicks too.

Having two guys that can throw is cool if one of them is a factor in other ways. Taysom Hill, for all his hype, didn't really do anything as a pass catcher or a passer for that matter. The snaps in which he did anything were almost exclusively just QB keepers in which they preferred him running the ball rather than giving it to more talented runners or just letting Brees make a play. He wasn't a good passer and was non-existent as a receiving threat so putting him and Brees on the field at the same time was basically just playing 10 on 11.
I’m not advocating have two guys playing QB. But the ability to play QB while playing another position - even in limited duty - just seems so obvious. Coaches, particularly at the highest levels are SO reluctant to be creative and try new things.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom