Everybody Needs to Think Realistically | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Everybody Needs to Think Realistically

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said. As difficult and frustrating that would be too watch as fans and deal with. JB 1000 Wins, 5 F4, National Championship in 46 years. He still earned to go out when he wants.

It will take 5+ years to recover from what Jim Boeheim is doing to our program. What he should be earning is a forced retirement.

It will take 5+ years to recover from what Jim Boeheim is doing to our program. What he should be earning is a forced retirement.
If that’s true, then we didn’t have much to begin with.

Why do you think that?

Here’s why. Let’s assume JAB stays till Buddy graduates then leaves.

1) I don’t see us recruiting any better players for the next 2 or 3 years. That means we are a middle of the pack ACC team for the next 2-3 years. It also means we will have underachieved for almost a decade.

2) JAB will likely leave without an orderly transitIon as has already been discussed. That means an interim coach for JAB+1. Does Wildhack hire them as the successor? I don‘t know and neither will the kids we are recruiting. That doesn’t bode well for year JAB+2.

3) Assume we have settled the coaching debacle in JAB+2. I think it will take at least 2 years and maybe 3 to turn the roster around. JB‘s roster will be long on length and short on ability. That takes us to JAB+4 or JAB+5 before things turn around.

I hope I‘m wrong but it will take a lot of time to right this ship.

If that’s true, then we didn’t have much to begin with.

Well, we don’t have much today. And we won’t have much more until he leaves.

Let’s assume JAB stays till Buddy graduates then leaves.

1) I don’t see us recruiting any better players for the next 2 or 3 years. That means we are a middle of the pack ACC team for the next 2-3 years. It also means we will have underachieved for almost a decade.

2) JAB will likely leave without an orderly transitIon as has already been discussed. That means an interim coach for JAB+1. Does Wildhack hire them as the successor? I don‘t know and neither will the kids we are recruiting. That doesn’t bode well for year JAB+2.

3) Assume we have settled the coaching debacle in JAB+2. I think it will take at least 2 years and maybe 3 to turn the roster around. JB‘s roster will be long on length and short on ability. That takes us to JAB+4 or JAB+5 before things turn around.

Why do you think th

Suck in reverse is kcus.
That doesn't make sense. :p

Well, we don’t have much today. And we won’t have much more until he leaves.

Let’s assume JAB stays till Buddy graduates then leaves.

You would be surprised what a new coach and direction could do..

EvilUnselfishBaboon-max-1mb.gif

This is him attempting to call JB’s show.

He doesn’t want JB to take his 20 dollar tip from when he was a skycap.

if JB is here 2 more years we will continue being mediocre and he continue saying cringe stuff that goes unchallenged.
When CuseRunner is on the JB is here as long he wants train I feel good saying Wildhack needs to have the talk.
How many consecutive double digit loss seasons and no NCAA bid does it take until maybe a change is considered by those involved (including JB)? Asking or a friend.

Yes. Nudge the least effective recruiter(s) out the door, and hire others to jump start recruiting.
Nice win tonight against UNC. But we def need to jump start recruiting with a Troy Weaver type hire. It’s time to bring in a respected and charismatic AAU coach with great connections or someone in the mold of Kenny Payne with some stature. Pay the big bucks and steal a Mike Menenga from Oregon. He’s got great East coast and Canadian connections. Or bring back Hop if he gets fired.

Stewart would have come here for sure. Probably some other solid recruits. I don’t think the results would have been much different, though, because I don’t think Hop was ready to coach in the ACC. This season would have been interesting, as a possible make-or-break year with the conference down as a whole.
He coached well when he had talent last year and he would have here. Talent is everything in this and any sport. The talent portal here with a young coach like him and his east coast channels would gave rejuvenated this program immensely. I respectfully disagree.

He coached well when he had talent last year and he would have here. Talent is everything in this and any sport. The talent portal here with a young coach like him and his east coast channels would gave rejuvenated this program immensely. I respectfully disagree.
Washington was bad last year as well, although I know what you meant. While I agree that Hop would have had more success in terms of recruiting, I don’t think that would have necessarily translated to more wins.

Part of the reason why Hop found immediate success at UW was the league’s unfamiliarity with the zone. It didn’t hurt that the Pac-12 had a couple of down years at the same time. Hop would not have had such luxuries in the ACC, as most of the coaches know what’s coming and how to beat it at this point.

So even with more talent, I don’t think Hop would have fared any better than JB, because he’s not as good of a coach.

Washington was bad last year as well, although I know what you meant. While I agree that Hop would have had more success in terms of recruiting, I don’t think that would have necessarily translated to more wins.

Part of the reason why Hop found immediate success at UW was the league’s unfamiliarity with the zone. It didn’t hurt that the Pac-12 had a couple of down years at the same time. Hop would not have had such luxuries in the ACC, as most of the coaches know what’s coming and how to beat it at this point.

So even with more talent, I don’t think Hop would have fared any better than JB, because he’s not as good of a coach.
Again, I disagree because of the recruiting aspect of this that you're missing. Hopkins would have injected much needed life into recruiting here. Player talent is 90% of the equation and he was a great recruiter in this region. Out there he has fallen on some tough times while losing multiple excellent players while not adequately replacing them. His in-game coaching is not horrible.

Jury is still out on him out there. He needs to get a couple more recruiting cycles in, then I think we can truly asses him overall as far as the Huskies coach. Over here I honestly believe he would have killed it with recruiting and his coaching would have improved.

How many consecutive double digit loss seasons and no NCAA bid does it take until maybe a change is considered by those involved (including JB)? Asking or a friend.
What seems to be happening...and something similar happened with football...is that a sizable chunk of the fanbase is becoming resigned to some sort of inevitability here. There's a belief that its not JB its some inevitable shift in the structure of college hoop that has made it impossible to win at the same levels in Syracuse.

Problem is that number is just loud enough to play this out just long enough to do real damage.

I really wish the administration could go in and say, look, next year is a given. Your son is still here and we arent going to F you. But you have GOT to modernize your coaching. You have GOT to add more to the offense and defense and manage your roster differently. Maybe bring in a young gun heir apparent who can help guide on some of these shifts. It's going to be a very heavy lift for some a long time vet coach but he deserves the chance to make the change. But if he doesn't adjust, I think its time to make a move after Buddy's finale.

What seems to be happening...and something similar happened with football...is that a sizable chunk of the fanbase is becoming resigned to some sort of inevitability here. There's a belief that its not JB its some inevitable shift in the structure of college hoop that has made it impossible to win at the same levels in Syracuse.

Problem is that number is just loud enough to play this out just long enough to do real damage.

I really wish the administration could go in and say, look, next year is a given. Your son is still here and we arent going to F you. But you have GOT to modernize your coaching. You have GOT to add more to the offense and defense and manage your roster differently. Maybe bring in a young gun heir apparent who can help guide on some of these shifts. It's going to be a very heavy lift for some a long time vet coach but he deserves the chance to make the change. But if he doesn't adjust, I think its time to make a move after Buddy's finale.
Buddy has 2 more years of eligibility and JB isn’t going to change or he would have by now.

Either the fanbase accept this mediocrity and shut up or speak up now.

Buddy has 2 more years of eligibility and JB isn’t going to change or he would have by now.

Either the fanbase accept this mediocrity and shut up or speak up now.

Ugh.

Regarding your second point, that is the problem. 50% of the fanbase will speak out, the other 50% will have zero problem with the trajectory (or more appropriately, won't attribute it to JB), and that stalemate means likely not enough momentum for any real change. I agree JB likely wont change at all.

10 pages of realistic thinking. I don't know how much I can take! :confused:
Clemson's last 10.

lost to virginia by 35, Gt by 18, FSU by 19, beat smaller louisville by 4, lost to Duke by 26, beat us playing small by 17, Held a small Wake team to like 40 points, beat Miami by 17, beat georgia tech by 2 won 3 in a row. They beat a smaller #8 alabama earlier in the year by 10. Seems like is fairly obvious.
Go tall. Just win! Sorry gonna need Ajax for this one.

Last edited:
10 pages of realistic thinking. I don't know how much I can take! :confused:
What if we were to think Unrealistically, how many pages would we have ended up with?

And we think other fanbases are nuts. What a good read this was. Pass the tequila.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom