Everybody Settle Down | Syracusefan.com

Everybody Settle Down

EastCoast2

Board Mathematician
Did you really think we were going to beat #2 (should be #1) UVA? Vegas had us as only 5.5 point underdogs. 5 and a half points worse, at home, to the best team in the nation. People who follow this stuff closer than we do, and have a lot more money riding on this than we do, think we're 6 points away from the best team in the nation. Think about that.

The 2015-2016 Syracuse basketball team lost to St. John's, UNC twice, Pittsburgh three times. They won @ Duke.

They had a great upper classman combo guard (Gbinije), a guy who could shoot it and spread the scoring (Malachi, sometimes Cooney), role players to rebound and play defense (Roberson), and a streaky, clutch utility guy (Lydon). Sound familiar?

This current team has 2 guys who can light it up (Battle, Hughes), and Battle can get his own shot. We have role players to rebound and play defense (Chukwu, Dolezaj), and a streaky guy who can take over games in Brissett (see last year's NCAAT).

This team has potential. Yes, we can lose to terrible, just awful teams like UConn, GTech, and ODU. But we can play possession for possession with the best teams in the country. See @ Duke, first 35 minutes of UNC, and the first 30 minutes of UVA.

We have players that have won HUGE games before. Less than 12 months ago, this same exact team, in fact a worse version of it, won 3 big games in 5 days. We can do that again. Is anybody really scared of any 6-7-8 seeds in the first round? We'd be looking at a team like Mississippi State, Utah State, Wofford, Kansas State, Maryland, UCF, Baylor, Belmont, etc. in the first round. Then a team like TTech, MSU, Houston, Marquette, in the second round.

If you're legitimitely upset since last night at 8:30, maybe turn off sports for a few months and re-evaluate your life. I have a lot of confidence in this team. Just get in the tournament, and the boys will show up.

So just yesterday everybody was calm and felt good about the team regardless of what the outcome may be last night but today it’s panic mode. I get it, I’m not happy with last night’s performance either nor am I pleased with double digit losses seemingly every season, but we are in the tournament (way ahead of so many other teams) and can win some games. I know our program should be more than that, but anything can happen in the tournament.

Couple things:
I didn't expect to win but I thought we had a chance. I expected a single-digit loss.
I didn't expect to be helpless.

I don't think I'd feel that much worse if we were in UConn territory (except for the additional embarrassment if we had a coach like theirs and if we were actually, you know, UConn).

There is def progress...we have gone from out of the tourney, to last team in to now 8-9 seed this year. How is that not progress? Half the kids getting recruited now we weren't allowed to speak with 4 years ago...and the main guy speaking to them left for Washington. Gonna take some time.

If you're legitimitely upset since last night at 8:30, maybe turn off sports for a few months and re-evaluate your life. I have a lot of confidence in this team. Just get in the tournament, and the boys will show up.
Nobody is upset other than the fact that we let them kill us by a 1000 paper cuts last night and just watched in resignation as we bled out slowly. We reached acceptance back in December that this is our lot and we have to serve out the rest of the sentence -- 1,460 days and change.

Nobody is really up in arms we lost to Virginia.
We got outscored by 28 points in the second half and we beat down on our home court.
Also, if you watched that game what adjustments did we make?
My Dad asked about man to man D...then said nevermind. Wont happen anyway.

I don't think there is panic, but the disappointment felt is that we all expect more from our program. I'd be more concerned if our fan base was apathetic, tbh. The fact that more often than not we tend to get out classed against better competition (usually on national TV) is growing tiresome. Last night we looked downright helpless at times - on both sides of the ball. Ya they went off, but by comparison I felt last year, our Defense always kept us in a game, no matter the opponent. We just lacked the offensive. This year, our D is notably worse, and our offense is ridiculously inconsistent.

I actually disagree. I am certainly not monumentally upset about a loss to the #2 team in the country and a team that was lights out in the second half. And I do agree that we may play well in the tournament, at least in the first round or two. The fact is though that being blown out of the gym on multiple occasions this year doesn't have a good feel. Yes, the experts thought we were a 5.5 dog. The experts were WAY wrong, at least in this instance. I am not one to be happy about a good loss although I accept them for what they are which are missed opportunities and the expected outcome. I don't want to be the team that feels good about one half when 2 are required. I don't want to be the team that, for the anomaly of the Duke game at Cameron, would be squarely on the bubble...again. Yes, I know the Duke game happened but we are Syracuse...we shouldn't have to be teeter-tottering based on one game or two to get into the tournament. I am far from from a pessimist, more of a realist actually but the last 5 years have sucked the life out me when it comes to SU basketball and with our history of success, I just hope it is not the new normal for the squad.

Last edited:
The 2015-2016 Syracuse basketball team lost to St. John's, UNC twice, Pittsburgh three times. They won @ Duke.
And there probably wasn't a single player on that SJU team that could have been a scholarship player at SU. That's how bad the MSG throttling was. THAT was an embarrassment.

As said elsewhere...UVA is a great team and the best coached team in the country.
They had the kind of second half that you run into every 5 or 10 years...one for the ages.
There are plenty of other embarrassing games this season that had Orange fans hanging their heads.
This shouldn't be one of them.
(18-24 ...75% ...in 3-pointers. It's laughable).
'
Now...let's end bubble talk by beating Clemson.

Vegas had us as only 5.5 point underdogs. 5 and a half points worse, at home, to the best team in the nation. People who follow this stuff closer than we do, and have a lot more money riding on this than we do, think we're 6 points away from the best team in the nation. Think about that.

No they don't. They think we're 6pts away on our court on Sr day which means double digits. All they do is go by kenpom who now has us behind titans such as St Mary's & NIT St.

No they don't. They think we're 6pts away on our court on Sr day which means double digits. All they do is go by kenpom who now has us behind titans such as St Mary's & NIT St.
Read what I said. I said 6 points AT HOME.

What does senior day have to do with anything?

Agreed. Obviously nobody expected or wanted to see a wrong sided blowout. I was expecting the first team to 50 to win a 50-49 contest if we played well. Nobody expected UVA to shoot 72% from 3. UVA is one of the absolute worst match ups for SU.

Did you really think we were going to beat #2 (should be #1) UVA? Vegas had us as only 5.5 point underdogs. 5 and a half points worse, at home, to the best team in the nation. People who follow this stuff closer than we do, and have a lot more money riding on this than we do, think we're 6 points away from the best team in the nation. Think about that.

They had a great upper classman combo guard (Gbinije), a guy who could shoot it and spread the scoring (Malachi, sometimes Cooney), role players to rebound and play defense (Roberson), and a streaky, clutch utility guy (Lydon). Sound familiar?

This current team has 2 guys who can light it up (Battle, Hughes), and Battle can get his own shot. We have role players to rebound and play defense (Chukwu, Dolezaj), and a streaky guy who can take over games in Brissett (see last year's NCAAT).

This team has potential. Yes, we can lose to terrible, just awful teams like UConn, GTech, and ODU. But we can play possession for possession with the best teams in the country. See @ Duke, first 35 minutes of UNC, and the first 30 minutes of UVA.

We have players that have won HUGE games before. Less than 12 months ago, this same exact team, in fact a worse version of it, won 3 big games in 5 days. We can do that again. Is anybody really scared of any 6-7-8 seeds in the first round? We'd be looking at a team like Mississippi State, Utah State, Wofford, Kansas State, Maryland, UCF, Baylor, Belmont, etc. in the first round. Then a team like TTech, MSU, Houston, Marquette, in the second round.

You’re Orange colored glasses are to be respected. But this team is so flawed that to expect anything more than one and done is saying a lot. We we make the tournament? Yes. Will we survive the first weekend? I don’t think so.

Sorry, not going to settle down about a mediocre program that is once again sitting on the bubble

You think this program is mediocre?! We just played 3 of the top 5 teams in the country back to back to back and we played competitively for the most part until the last 10 minutes of the UVA game as pointed out by EastCoast2.

We have a very good recruiting class coming in next year - GPOY in Goodine, JG3 who was recruited by at least 3 HOF coaches, Guerrier who would be a top 50 player if he played in the USA, JBA who was a ESPN60 player before he got hurt. Add that to our seasoned core of Hughes, Oshae, Marek, Sidibe, Carey and Buddy and we have a solid top 20 team next year.

Over the past decade, we are in fact a top 10 program.

Top 10 college basketball programs since 2010: Kentucky or Duke at No. 1?

Over the past 4 decades, yes we are still a top 10 program.

List of AP all-time Top 100 college basketball programs

If you think Cuse is a mediocre program, you obviously do not know much about college bball.

Sorry, not going to settle down about a mediocre program that is once again sitting on the bubble

Syracuse can lose the next two and STILL get in easy the bubble isn't a question. HAVE YOU WATCHED BASKETBALL THIS YEAR?

OK, maybe if they lost to GT again no but dude, the bubble talk makes you look dumb.

You think this program is mediocre?! We just played 3 of the top 5 teams in the country back to back to back and we played competitively for the most part until the last 10 minutes of the UVA game as pointed out by EastCoast2.

We have a very good recruiting class coming in next year - GPOY in Goodine, JG3 who was recruited by at least 3 HOF coaches, Guerrier who would be a top 50 player if he played in the USA, JBA who was a ESPN60 player before he got hurt. Add that to our seasoned core of Hughes, Oshae, Marek, Sidibe, Carey and Buddy and we have a solid top 20 team next year.

Over the past decade, we are in fact a top 10 program.

Top 10 college basketball programs since 2010: Kentucky or Duke at No. 1?

Over the past 4 decades, yes we are still a top 10 program.

List of AP all-time Top 100 college basketball programs

If you think Cuse is a mediocre program, you obviously do not know much about college bball.
Top20 was supposed to be this year. What happened?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom