Expectations | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Expectations

I wonder about this -- especially in the Wake game. Mahoney lit up Wake for 35 points in one half -- the offense did not miss Dungey in that half. Best half of SU offense in several years. In the second half, Wake rolled the defense -- pushed the DL around, and their QB ran wild on bootleg keepers. So, our guys missed Dungey, but only in the second half? Or, with a thin defense, several players out with injury, they wore out physically in the second half, and Mahoney reverted to average?
Oh boy forgot about the super secret of the qb keeper. Screaming from my seat starting 2nd quarter I believe about the KEEP. Kinda like saying don’t jump off sides on third down. The whole dome knew what they were doing all game long. Wf didn’t beat us we did. I was not happy with our staff that day. I get fired up over doing dumb stuff and I ain’t that bright. I’m making a sign this year. Read the Qb. He gonna keep it.

I wonder about this -- especially in the Wake game. Mahoney lit up Wake for 35 points in one half -- the offense did not miss Dungey in that half. Best half of SU offense in several years. In the second half, Wake rolled the defense -- pushed the DL around, and their QB ran wild on bootleg keepers. So, our guys missed Dungey, but only in the second half? Or, with a thin defense, several players out with injury, they wore out physically in the second half, and Mahoney reverted to average?

I didn’t think any kind of malaise didn’t kick in until the next week. They just kicked our but in the 2nd half

I'm in the camp that only has the expectation that we earn a bowl bid with 6 regular season wins.

I don't care how good the bowl is. I don't care which 6 wins we get. If we get more, awesome, not expecting it.

People get all hot and bothered about these great seasons we "should" have and whatever, but the cold hard facts are that it took the last play of the regular season basically for us to qualify for a bowl last time, and since then we haven't been close.

It always looked to me like they made adjustments on both sides of the ball that we couldn't counter. They figured out Mahoney's strengths, took them away, and simply lacked the skillset to adjust. They figured out our defense and we couldn't adjust because we were worn out at that point. I figure with ED we still give up a load of points but maybe are able to keep pace and pull out a win with a similar score to the Pitt loss the previous year.

Cusian makes fair points and I like the research here on the expectations. I do think we have an opportunity to do damage in year 3 of Dino's regime b/c he has alot of his guys now, a senior qb, a do-able schedule and ZERO expectations. we should be able to sneak up on some teams.

Being in the ACC isn't our SoS going to be top every year no matter what. We're in the 3rd SEC division if you ask me and that is never gonna change. The strength of schedule is something we have to just deal with. Scheduling mediocre teams to offset it is the right move and will allow us to win bolster our win total.

The program needs bowl appearances, extra practices, the PR of being on the upswing, etc.

To me this is the most intriguing season in a very very long time. The honeymoon is over for Dino in a good way b/c i think he wants the expectations high and mighty and he wants his guys in place to meet them.

I was about to post a long rambling response but I love this post. Makes the three of the four points I was going to make:

1) Honeymoon is over and I feel like Dino, if you spoke to him candidly, would agree that he wants those expectations. It's OK to believe we can accomplish something we haven't done in a while.

2) Strength of schedule is going to be an issue every year, unless we get really good and just start waxing some programs we're currently losing to. We just play in a really good conference. That doesn't look likely to change any time soon.

3) Zero expectations can be a good rallying point for a football team.

The only other point I'd make is this:

At some point, good football coaches win games. And it's usually not Year 5. Maybe it's more like year 4, but regardless, at some point, you win games as a good coach. Everyone loves to point to Kirk Ferentz but he's the anomaly. But its time (or at least close to time) to win a few games, even though I agree with Cusian that there are other measures of improvement.

Well put... this is always my goal. Get to a Frickin' Bowl!

FWIW, I think it is critical that Dino succeed here. He gets fired or leaves without succeeding, and we will be viewed as program beyond help. That being said, I am optimistic for this season - 6 or 7 wins - and even more optimistic about next season.

I'd argue it's not simply being viewed that way, but if Babers can't succeed here, that narrative might be true (at least given the current economics of the game). The argument that this is the worst or among the worst P5 jobs would be hard to counter.

At some point, good football coaches win games. And it's usually not Year 5. Maybe it's more like year 4, but regardless, at some point, you win games as a good coach. Everyone loves to point to Kirk Ferentz but he's the anomaly. But its time (or at least close to time) to win a few games, even though I agree with Cusian that there are other measures of improvement.

Like wins over ranked teams like Virginia Tech, and #2 Clemson?

Depth -- and the new redshirt rule providing 4 games of latitude -- are going to pay HUGE dividends.

Like wins over ranked teams like Virginia Tech, and #2 Clemson?

Depth -- and the new redshirt rule providing 4 games of latitude -- are going to pay HUGE dividends.

those were huge wins, no doubt. But we have 8 total. At some point we need to come close to that number in a season. To be clear, I'm not trying to put pressure on Babers. I really think the best course is to stick with Dino even if we are at 4 wins, but ideally at least looking solidly competitive. I would be completely fine with giving him an extension. I'm just saying we can talk schedule til we're blue in the face, but ultimately we need to be beating enough teams to get to a bowl. And that pressure starts to heat up a bit in year 3 (certainly more so in year 4).

those were huge wins, no doubt. But we have 8 total. At some point we need to come close to that number in a season. To be clear, I'm not trying to put pressure on Babers. I really think the best course is to stick with Dino even if we are at 4 wins, but ideally at least looking solidly competitive. I would be completely fine with giving him an extension. I'm just saying we can talk schedule til we're blue in the face, but ultimately we need to be beating enough teams to get to a bowl. And that pressure starts to heat up a bit in year 3 (certainly more so in year 4).

I really look forward to Dino shutting down these criticisms about 4-8, starting this year.

We were more than "solidly competitive" against Clemson, and on the road against LSU, Miami, and Florida State last year -- to the degree that we generally haven't been in our program history against those caliber of teams. If Dungey didn't get injured, I think we would have made a bowl last year.

I think some perspective is in order. Even our November defensive collapse was injury-related. Highly productive defensive studs Franklin and Bennett could barely move our last two games -- that made a huge difference.

I was about to post a long rambling response but I love this post. Makes the three of the four points I was going to make:

1) Honeymoon is over and I feel like Dino, if you spoke to him candidly, would agree that he wants those expectations. It's OK to believe we can accomplish something we haven't done in a while.

2) Strength of schedule is going to be an issue every year, unless we get really good and just start waxing some programs we're currently losing to. We just play in a really good conference. That doesn't look likely to change any time soon.

3) Zero expectations can be a good rallying point for a football team.

The only other point I'd make is this:

Agree and hope, for the love of God Dino has Ferenz's longevity but NOT his record;)

SU 52 WMU 28 (1-0)
SU 70 Wagner 10 (2-0)
SU 21 FSU 35 (2-1)
SU 49 UCONN 9 (3-1)
SU 10 Clemson 31 (3-2)
SU 35 Pitt 28 (4-2)
SU 28 UNC 24 (5-2)
SU 35 NC State 38 (5-3)
SU 42 WF 28 (6-3)
SU 31 L’Ville 45 (6-4)
SU 32 ND 21 (7-4)
SU 21 BC 17 (8-4)

Bowl Game: Camping World (Orlando FL)

Offense:
Total Yards: 6,240 (520/game = Top 20)
Passing: 4,020 (335/game = top 10)
Rushing: 2,220 (185/game = top 40)

Dungey: 3,250yrds 27tds/12ints
500 rushing 6tds
Devito: 900yrds 5tds/3ints

Strick: 725yrds 6tds
Moe: 575 5tds / 30 catches 3tds

D Butler: 1,150yrds 8tds
R Pierce: 750yrds 12tds
Queeley: 900yrds 6tds

Defense:
Total Yards: 4,650 (387.5/game = Top 60)
Passing: 2,650 (221/game = Top 60)
Rushing: 2,000 (166/game = Top 70)

I didn’t think any kind of malaise didn’t kick in until the next week. They just kicked our but in the 2nd half

Wake also made a good adjustment on what Mahoney could do and took it away. Also, since the O stopped moving the ball the SU D, which really wasn't all that sharp in the first half, got rolled because Wake got the ball back too quick on SU's failure to move the ball.

Is this a serious post about his record? 143–97 at Iowa and 86–68 in conference. That sounds good right now.

Exactly - you can argue he is overpaid but I'd take that record right now.

Is this a serious post about his record? 143–97 at Iowa and 86–68 in conference. That sounds good right now.

I'll trade Ferenz for Dino right now if that's on the table purely on the W/L record and stability. We will need that stability at some point. I hope Dino is a 10 year guy to give us that!

I'll trade Ferenz for Dino right now if that's on the table purely on the W/L record and stability. We will need that stability at some point. I hope Dino is a 10 year guy to give us that!

I hope so as well. It must be a tough call for an Iowa fan. Do you appreciate the sustained success or do you pine for more? As Cuse fans we know all too well that a poor hire can change the program for a looooooong time. Here is to Dino winning some games and beginning to shift the perception of our program.

Dino is ahead of schedule. Over this summer i have watched each game. We went toe to toe with the best football powers in the country and beat Clemson. Dino has nothing to prove, he simply needs time to build depth.
I see 5 to 7 wins this year and pray that the administration wraps him up for a very long time. Dino is the real deal and a perfect fit for SU.

If we are 5-6 going into the last game I will say we are going in the right direction. Anything worse means the last three years were just treading water.

Just about every successful HC has had a win bump in year 3. That might be going from 1 to 4 wins or going from 6 to 8 depending on the program.

Not to mention Ferentz has as many AP Top 10 finishes (five) since 2002 as Syracuse has in our program's entire history (1956, 1958, 1959, 1987, 1992). I would kill for Dino to have Ferentz's success.

Yikes. That was a terrible take. Ferentz has been to 15 bowl games in 19 years. Won 12 games just 3 years ago and has won 10 games five times. He's also been to 3 "BCS" bowls winning one.

Coach P went to 3 "BCS" games as well, winning one as well.

My expectations are the same as always. Winning season, go to a bowl game, represent my alma mater with class and dignity on and off the field. That’s it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom