Expectations | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Expectations

First off if we go anything less then 6-6, I will feel very disappointed. I am not in the boat of "5-7 ,but we played close games! This was a solid season". I will agree, it does feel good to be close, but a loss is a loss. We need to start winning the close games, thats what successful programs do.

If we go 6-6, I won't be upset at all, but I won't be jumping for joy. I would be content.

7-5 and I will be happy

8-4 or somehow someway better then this, I will be ecstatic!

In my opinion 6-6 should be our floor and anything less is a failure. I believe we will have a fun year, I can not wait.

My expectations are the same as always. Winning season, go to a bowl game, represent my alma mater with class and dignity on and off the field. That’s it.

Perfect, can't get better than those expectations!

Coach P went to 3 "BCS" games as well, winning one as well.
The BCS didn't exist when we went to the Fiesta after the '92 and '97 seasons. It started in '98. If it did, it's impossible to know if we would have gone in '92. Miami won the conference that year so the BCS tie ins may have knocked us to a lower bowl.

It's funny to see how most casual college football fans and even ACC reporters and bloggers feel as if we are going to be a solid last place this year. Literally, in every game Dungey played it was either a Syracuse win or a single digit loss. Not to mention, 3 of those 5 single digit losses were away games against teams that were ranked at the end of the year. Another one of those losses was to a powerhouse in which dungey sat the first quarter and ended with a missed game-tying field goal. Granted, the MTSU game is inexcusable to say the least.

Yes, I know. We don't have Ish or erv anymore. But expect quite a few of those targets that they received last year to go towards what should be a more productive running game this year. We only lose one starter off the offensive line, and we're replacing him with a good SEC starter. Barring injuries, there should no doubt be an improvement in the running game. The more concerning losses are in the linebacking corps, and frankly that's probably what I'm most scared about with this team. We have talented running backs in the ACC like AJ Dillon, Cam Akers, Etienne, etc. and we're gonna need to stop them.

As long as we don't get too banged up this year (stares at an already impactful injury list in training camp), I'm confident we're gonna make some noise. There's a lot of winnable games on this schedule, it all depends if we have our best guys out there.

Prediction: 7-6

It's amazing how my expectations have changed. I agree that 7-5 would be a very good year - and 8-4 an outstanding year.

During my 4 years on the Hill, the team went 11-0-1 in '87 (Sugar Bowl), 10-2 in '88 (beating LSU in a bowl game), 8-4 in '89 (beating Georgia in the Peach Bowl), and 7-4-1 in '90 (beating Arizona in a bowl game). And then in '91 we went 10-2 (beating Ohio State in a bowl), then 10-2 again in '92 (and I got to go to the Fiesta Bowl to watch us beat Colorado).

Simply an incredible first 6 years of SU football for me.

And yet....I'm just as excited this year about our prospects and the CHANCE to go maybe 8-4, or better...

My favorite weekend of the year for the past 31 years has been Labor Day. A new team, a new hope - and I'm even more optimistic this year with Babers and Dungey.

The only thing I am missing is returning to campus and all those lovely co-eds. Ah college. Back to work...

Is this a serious post about his record? 143–97 at Iowa and 86–68 in conference. That sounds good right now.

Serious? Ferenz is the definition of mediocre and he makes huge Coin. Sure, to us, 7-5 seems amazing but many P5 coaches have been axed over the last 20 years with KF's cosching results.

Reactions: gbo
It’s not woe is me - it’s you can’t compare year two of Marrone (100+ SoS) with year two of Babers (#8).

People (not you Chip) like to compare like it’s apples to apples. SoS is context. And it’s really, really important context.

If the Knicks go undefeated and the Warriors lose 10 games - but then it’s later revealed that the Knicks played only vs Chinese league while the Warriors played a full NBA slate it would be important context.

But in CFB, where schedules can vary by a ton it’s even more important. Conferences and divisions help - but we played the #8 SoS, while BC played #56. 4-8 vs #8 or 7-6 vs #56?

Wow, how did you turn this into a Marrone thread.

You're right, you can't compare the 2 years. Marrone started off in a far worse position than Babers ever did, that's not even debatable. I would say that that at least washes out the difference in SOS. Without trying to revive the dead horse for the millionth time; Marrone's 1st year he had roughly 2.5 months to recruit (that might be being generous, I don't remember the exact number), he was signing guys that didn't even have stars and nobody had heard of, guys who weren't even starters on their teams, many guys left the program for numerous reasons (that = depth issues, since we like to bring that up all the time now).

So I'm going to call this roughly a wash. SOS with more depth and far better talent vs. much easier SOS with no depth, players who've never won, and a sprinkle of talent with no history of winning.

Fix the defense.

Here is where Babers is vs four other major rebuilds. Data shows he started further ahead than the other four, strength of schedule notwithstanding.

The whole woe is me it's such a hard schedule hasn't prevented the offense from being substantially better.

Get the defense in the 70s with no net improvement in the offense and this is a six, seven , eight win team.

View attachment 137266
Great insight and truly shows the learning curve in philosophy shifts with HCDB is steeper with the D, surprisingly enough; my eyes tell me that's mostly attributed to the secondary. I'm encouraged by Cordy's thoughts on this years DBs and our perceived depth at QB. When i see the Baylor O growth I'm extremely bullish on this year. All the intangibles seem to point in the right direction. But then again, I've always been bullish on our boys. Hopefully this is the season we over deliver.

If they don't get to 6 this year, next year will be an ultimatum on Dino (fair or not).

I think he gets there. I feel 7-6 with a bowl win and a legit step forward. But that means were are like a couple bad plays from 5-7 and a real "What de eF" do we make of this type of season.

I understand the spirit of the original post. However, we need wins. And the fact is that the overwhelming amount of coaches who get their programs into the top 25 see marked improvement in their third year. Granting the obvious exceptions due to a rash of catastrophic injuries and the like, we need to win 6 games this year.

Now, I'm not suggesting Dino is a failure if we don't win 6. But at some point we need evidence, not merely faith. We've seen him beat great programs, so we know he can coach. Just need to TCB in at least 6 games this year.

I understand the spirit of the original post. However, we need wins. And the fact is that the overwhelming amount of coaches who get their programs into the top 25 see marked improvement in their third year. Granting the obvious exceptions due to a rash of catastrophic injuries and the like, we need to win 6 games this year.

Now, I'm not suggesting Dino is a failure if we don't win 6. But at some point we need evidence, not merely faith. We've seen him beat great programs, so we know he can coach. Just need to TCB in at least 6 games this year.

This is where I am. I SO want to see Dino work here. I love what he brings to the team and the University. But there will be a point where its put up or shut up. If he goes 4-8 or even 5-7, I suspect year 4 is going to be "Bowl or Bust" for him.

Exactly. My life as a Syracuse and Patriots fan has been a tale of two expectations: one team I expect to pull it out and the other who I know will find a way to lose. I feel like the clock tower was hit by lightening after the Tom Brady/Syracuse game in 1998. Since then, both teams have gone completely different ways.

May need Tom Brady to speak to the Orange or send his kid there to break this spell

I’m okay with a losing record.

What matters is they try really hard and come super close to winning in several games

Winning isn’t important any more.

I’m all for holding coaches accountable via w/l record. But put that crap in context at least. People get all hot and bothered about Marrones 2nd season but think Babers needs to show us something. It’s ridiculous to compare the two seasons via W/L.

Marrones 2nd season: #100+ SoS
Babers 2nd season: #8 SoS

And Babers has the better win!

Expectations should be a bowl game no matter how we get there. Anything less than that will feel like failure.

Agree 100% anything less than a bowl game despite any and all excuses is a disappointing season

I’m all for holding coaches accountable via w/l record. But put that crap in context at least. People get all hot and bothered about Marrones 2nd season but think Babers needs to show us something. It’s ridiculous to compare the two seasons via W/L.

Marrones 2nd season: #100+ SoS
Babers 2nd season: #8 SoS

And Babers has the better win!

The only one that seems bothered is you. I don't think anyone disputes it was an easier schedule in 2010. And who has argued that Babers is a failure because he didn't have a winning record already?

Exactly. My life as a Syracuse and Patriots fan has been a tale of two expectations: one team I expect to pull it out and the other who I know will find a way to lose. I feel like the clock tower was hit by lightening after the Tom Brady/Syracuse game in 1998. Since then, both teams have gone completely different ways.

May need Tom Brady to speak to the Orange or send his kid there to break this spell
Tom Brady is the devil

More context and why fixing the defense is the key. SU's stat history since Gerg's last year. Unless the scoring offense really aligns with yards, and that's not likely because of individual talent at the skill position, the defense can't be this bad and have a winning record. The defense doesn't have to be good, but it can't be the last two years bad.

Below is what I think is reasonable progression for 2018 and if they can get there, 6-6 should be achievable.

SUHist.jpg

I’ve felt all along that it would take more than 3 for us in our situation. We were close to a bowl last year so with a little improvement I think we can get there.

But I think the big improvement comes in year 4 and 5.

The only one that seems bothered is you. I don't think anyone disputes it was an easier schedule in 2010. And who has argued that Babers is a failure because he didn't have a winning record already?

Lol. Now you’re putting words in my mouth. I didn’t say ppl were saying Babers was a failure due to his w/l record. I said hold him accountable with w/l record - but put some context around it so that we can see clearly.

We’ve gone from zombie Big East to the 3rd toughest division in college football (with an added OOC like LSU).

Honest. Do you think Marrone’s 2nd season was more impressive than Babers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom