First time tailgating questions | Syracusefan.com

First time tailgating questions

footballgf

Walk On
I am surprising my SO for his birthday with tickets and tailgating for the October 1st Wagner game. We have friends coming in from few different areas and we are driving from about 3 hours away. I want to have one dedicated tailgating spot since we are all coming in from out of town and don’t want to chance not having a spot or all trying to find a place coming from out of town.

I have looked online and it looks like there are paid spots for Mt, Olympus, Raynor and Harrison lots, anyone have thought on any of these lots? I feel that having one spot on/close to campus would be easier than Sky Top since we will also have a few children with us, so ideally we would love a fun lot that is also easier coordination wise.

My SO who I am surprising is usually the one with all this SU knowledge so any tips for a great tailgating meet up would be wonderful!

The North Manley crew is great, fun for all ages. And it’s an easy walk to the Dome with the option to take a shuttle. There’s also like zero traffic after the game.

The North Manley crew is great, fun for all ages. And it’s an easy walk to the Dome with the option to take a shuttle. There’s also like zero traffic after the game.
That sounds like a great option! We certainly don’t mind a little walk to the Dome just want to make it easy as possible for the toddler parents in the group. Does the lot tend to get packed early? I just want to (maybe over) prepare since we’re coming from out of town.

That sounds like a great option! We certainly don’t mind a little walk to the Dome just want to make it easy as possible for the toddler parents in the group. Does the lot tend to get packed early? I just want to (maybe over) prepare since we’re coming from out of town.
I don’t think so, we’re new to the group as the first time we were there was the Louisville game. I don’t think the Manley lot ever completely fill up so I wouldn’t worry about not being able to park there. It’s a $20 cash lot for those who don’t have season parking (I also just learned that).

David332 didn't know about the $20 cash option. Was it advertised with a sign at the entrance?

David332 didn't know about the $20 cash option. Was it advertised with a sign at the entrance?
690West told me as I have a buddy from work going to the ND game (he’s a ND fan) and was trying to find a place to park and possibly tailgate.

690West told me as I have a buddy from work going to the ND game (he’s a ND fan) and was trying to find a place to park and possibly tailgate.
It’s a cash lot most of the time because there are so many empty unused spaces. They reserve the right fo take the sign down if they need all the spots for any reason. But for our group they will allow the $20 option which is nice.

Anyone have any thoughts on a lot like this versus a pricier on campus lot pass? Since it’s a big birthday I don’t mind going all out for a great day.

Anyone have any thoughts on a lot like this versus a pricier on campus lot pass? Since it’s a big birthday I don’t mind going all out for a great day.

Parking passes for lots that are close to the dome can be really really hard to find.

The west lot parking pass offers a very easy walk to the Dome and has some of the best tailgates but finding a permit there can be very tricky.

If you can find a pass for one of the ones close by, as many suggested, I would park up at North Manley to be able to get in a good tailgate

The parking hack that many use is to park at the MLK School. It’s a five minute walk to a staircase on Fineview that takes you right up to the Henry Street Lot.

There used to be cash lots along E. Adams St and Harrison St but not sure if those are now permit spots?

I parked in a lot of Harrison St. a few years ago for the SU / NC St game in 2018. I think it was $30 to park at the time but had a nice atmosphere with some decent tailgating going on.

Harrison Lot is permit only - some friends for Louisville drove to the top of University garage and took over that section - takes a while to get out but at least you have open air ahead of you.

The parking hack that many use is to park at the MLK School. It’s a five minute walk to a staircase on Fineview that takes you right up to the Henry Street Lot.
True, but it’s not the safest option. It’s also down right sketch after dark. I think for a group of guys it’s fine but not for a family, personally.

Which than can lead you to the greatest of all tailgates!!

Enrique’s SyraCRUZ tailgate!

True, but it’s not the safest option. It’s also down right sketch after dark. I think for a group of guys it’s fine but not for a family, personally.

I’ve had a lot of people park there. Everyone told me it was sketch so I would always warn them.

Every time they parked there they always said they didn’t feel sketched out at all.

I mean, I would not be down there at 3am but for the Wagner game, which will likely be a noon game it should be fine

Yeah, I thought the same initially. No problems for a noon game, and even for the night games I hear there is enough foot and vehicle traffic that there have never been issues.

I am surprising my SO for his birthday with tickets and tailgating for the October 1st Wagner game. We have friends coming in from few different areas and we are driving from about 3 hours away. I want to have one dedicated tailgating spot since we are all coming in from out of town and don’t want to chance not having a spot or all trying to find a place coming from out of town.

I have looked online and it looks like there are paid spots for Mt, Olympus, Raynor and Harrison lots, anyone have thought on any of these lots? I feel that having one spot on/close to campus would be easier than Sky Top since we will also have a few children with us, so ideally we would love a fun lot that is also easier coordination wise.

My SO who I am surprising is usually the one with all this SU knowledge so any tips for a great tailgating meet up would be wonderful!

Also, not sure of your group size and depending on where you are parking I would strongly suggest checking out the Enrique’s SyraCRUZ tailgate. $20 for adults, all you can eat and drink. And $10 for kids.

The food menus are posted roughly a week ahead and you must RSVP how many are coming. You can check out previous games tailgates menus in this section for Purdue and Louisville

IMO it’s the best option as all you need to do is really show up, hang out and have a good time. Also for Wagner, parking passes for the West lot might be more likely available. However, you don’t need to park in the west lot to attend the tailgate. You could park nearby and walk over.

There are usually some paid lots between Irving, Crouse, University and Harrison. Close to the dome and perfect if you want to check out Marshall Street and Manny's. Here is a photo I took a couple years ago. How many people roll with one of these?

70863455_10220242977402825_8050231664464363520_n.jpg

For Purdue it should be fine. The trouble makers are still sleeping and won't wake up until 1pm

You've gotten some pretty good advice so I'll try and keep it short and to the point. It sounds like your goign to have a decent sized group with you. I don't know exactly how many but sounds like a few families and at least 3+ vehicles. The best option for you would likely be Manley North for hte $20.00 option (will not sell out for Wagner) or if you get there early enough one fo the public lots that the post above mentioned. I would caution though that while the public lots are still out there they can be hit or miss and I know some have become private and by permit only. If you go that route id get there early and try to research it more.

As JR pointed out the West lots which include Henry Standart and Raynor are the closest and really best locations. However, they are by permit only and while getting a pass or 2 isn't impossible for a game like Wagner, it wont be cheap and your going to have an issue if you need more then 2 passes. Mount Olympus is a decent spot but can be a less then optimal walk with kids.

That seems pretty long. Do you just go down Comstock, or is there short cuts?
You take a direct line through oakwood cemetery straight to the dome. It’s 10 minutes. Perfect for finishing a roadie beer before entering the loud house. And there is a ton of foot traffic with you so it’s not sketch even though it’s a cemetery. Lol

You take a direct line through oakwood cemetery straight to the dome. It’s 10 minutes. Perfect for finishing a roadie beer before entering the loud house. And there is a ton of foot traffic with you so it’s not sketch even though it’s a cemetery. Lol
Nice. I have parked on E Genesee St for free for 30 years. Everyone tells me im nuts. 16 minute walk. I saw that comment about walking from Manley and thought, "SEE!, I'm not nuts!!"

Nice. I have parked on E Genesee St for free for 30 years. Everyone tells me im nuts. 16 minute walk. I saw that comment about walking from Manley and thought, "SEE!, I'm not nuts!!"
When I was a kid in the 80’s my parents parked way down Euclid towards westcott. I remember that walk well.

I appreciate all of the feedback SO much! This has been so helpful. Right now we are deciding between Manley or buying a single spot at Harrison lot (still a few passes on sale online).. my last question if anyone would know this would be what the bathroom situation is at North Manley lot? I know a particular question, but gotta plan ahead with little kids with little bladders coming along!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom