For all the angry transfer portal guys, what is realistic for | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

For all the angry transfer portal guys, what is realistic for

Not sure about landing that impact QB, but the other two for sure. DT is a big need -- and then grab the best interior OL you can via transfer.
I'd bring in the best available QB, if only for depth purposes. I know the board will spend the next 8 months convincing itself that Morgan and Tex are the "best depth we've had in a long time". Which will mark the 18th consecutive year that I've read someone trot out that ol' chestnut. It's never true.

DL, OL, QB

I’m not optimistic we’ll land anyone of consequence but I’m hoping for the best.

dino has added two sec starting ol and two wrs that had great years since he’s been here

tisdale was used to fill in part of the gap created by all the ol injuries

there is a great opportunity for high end G5 or judo kids to play immediately in the acc here at a couple of spots.

Another thing I think I say every year, and this is something that I realized after bnoro said it.

Dominant DTs are the most rare commodities in college football. For one to both end up in the transfer portal and to end up at Syracuse is a tall ask.

don’t need dominant

I don't get the current infatuation with the portal. Syracuse is a difficult place to recruit players to in general. I am baffled by the belief that quality players, especially from elite programs, can be suddenly lured to play for a team in a two-season free fall when better opportunities surely exist at programs that easily out recruit us to begin with. Don't get me wrong, I want all sorts of unicorn players to transfer in yesterday, but I just think anyone relying on the portal to fix our woes- many of which extend to the locker room and the coaching staff- is in for bitter disappointment.
The teams out recruiting us will be the ones displacing the players. We’re a legit p5 option to PLAY and showcase talent.

I'd bring in the best available QB, if only for depth purposes. I know the board will spend the next 8 months convincing itself that Morgan and Tex are the "best depth we've had in a long time". Which will mark the 18th consecutive year that I've read someone trot out that ol' chestnut. It's never true.
Yeah, another guy there is just fine.

To me there are kinda four dudes that end up in the portal:

Dudes that can see that they're buried on the depth chart where they are. I think our hope is that there are bigger programs with really talented guys rising pine that see us as an opportunity to play.

Dudes that due to some change in their program (coach, scheme, whatever) no longer fit what's going on and are trying to find a place that matches up better with the role they can play.

Dudes that are actually pretty good and have shown to some extent what they can do at this level, but think there's a chance for more elsewhere. You see a lot of grad transfers in this bucket. More could be a bunch of different things - masters degree options, exposure, chance to play closer to home, chance to be with a more winning/reputable program, etc.

Dudes that are disgruntled and looking for a change of scenery.

High performing g5 guys that want to raise their draft stock

don’t need dominant
We can drop my statement from "Dominant" to "can make an impact for more than half of the defense's snaps" and my statement won't change.

don’t need dominant

You could also make the argument that taking these SEC transfers is a reflection of the inability to recruit this type of player OR the inability to develop the recruits that where recruited to play these positions. Two different ways of looking at a transfer.

dont tell me there are not some lower level kids from FCS schools who didnt play at all this yr who might have 2 yrs left who might fit the profile as well. Its not only the talent but the body type we lack for depth.

dino has added two sec starting ol and two wrs that had great years since he’s been here

there is a great opportunity for high end G5 or judo kids to play immediately in the acc here at a couple of spots.
I hear ya, and I figured my comment would get a response about our past portal successes. My concern is mostly that this offseason is unprecedented, and I'm not sure SU is going to fare as well with so many major programs hitting the portal harder than they might normally do.

Agreed that our targets are likely those G5/FCS/Juco kids who have been under the radar. Hopefully it pans out better than our under the radar recruiting.

Tisdale was a fairly highly rated JUCO. His recruiting profile had him at 6-5 295 with offers from Arkansas, Pitt, Rutgers and West Virginia. Probably Syracuse's ceiling when it comes to JUCO recruiting - particularly at OT.

I hear ya, and I figured my comment would get a response about our past portal successes. My concern is mostly that this offseason is unprecedented, and I'm not sure SU is going to fare as well with so many major programs hitting the portal harder than they might normally do.

Agreed that our targets are likely those G5/FCS/Juco kids who have been under the radar. Hopefully it pans out better than our under the radar recruiting.

I don't think many major programs will be hitting the portal harder than they normally do. All their kids have extra years of eligibility as well and they can't bring in more kids than they have room.

I think this year's portal might greatly benefit the tier 2 Power 5 schools. I'm guessing/hoping that kids from the major schools having to sit behind a starter for another year might prompt them to move. It's going to be a hell of an off season that's for sure.

SMU took in 16 transfers in 2019 most of which were P5 decent guys, if dino can only land 4 guys in this years portal thats bad news

We don't need 4 star benchwarmers to have some portal success. Lots of players out there. It's the staffs job to find them and convince them. I also think our new DC displayed an aggressive defense often blitzing. These kids love coaches that are aggressive. I bet we find our DT out in the portal.

tristin Jackson, Koda Martin, AET, say hello

you aren’t going to turnover 15 roster spots, but you can definitely make targeted impact adds,

dino has done it almost every year

I get that GO, and I know it's all possible. But two of those fellas came in when we were precieved as a program on the upswing (cue Harry Shearer in an early Simpsons episode intoning, "look out, Utica, Springfield is a city on the...GROW!") We had a new and exciting coach, were perceived as the "new fast", or had a father in law for a head coach. Now, not so much...no signature win over Clemson or even Cortland. I'd like to believe that studs in the transfer portal will look at SU and say, "I gotta get there!" but I don't think that's the case as of now. I do think it's a great year for coaches from Louisiana, Coastal, Buffalo etc to grab players as they're perceived upswing schools. I want those players in Orange, but I think it's a much tougher sell than many believe it to be.

Yeah, but a true freshman who played and produced a little has more upside than Rex, Welch, and Mahoney IMO

I’m with you on bringing in the best possible QB transfer - preferably a sophomore or junior

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom