For all the angry transfer portal guys, what is realistic for | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

For all the angry transfer portal guys, what is realistic for

Sunny dykes would beg to differ

yeah no he wouldn't. there are rules in place for how many kids you can bring in. You can basically add 25 kids per academic year. That includes transfers. You can get creative by backdating some kids who enroll early, but there are caps on that to, and at the end of the day you can have no more than 85 kids on scholarship.

The NCAA in the past year or two made it harder to manipulate the numbers.

I get that GO, and I know it's all possible. But two of those fellas came in when we were precieved as a program on the upswing (cue Harry Shearer in an early Simpsons episode intoning, "look out, Utica, Springfield is a city on the...GROW!") We had a new and exciting coach, were perceived as the "new fast", or had a father in law for a head coach. Now, not so much...no signature win over Clemson or even Cortland. I'd like to believe that studs in the transfer portal will look at SU and say, "I gotta get there!" but I don't think that's the case as of now. I do think it's a great year for coaches from Louisiana, Coastal, Buffalo etc to grab players as they're perceived upswing schools. I want those players in Orange, but I think it's a much tougher sell than many believe it to be.
P5 still holds cache over those schools...and those coaches are the most likely to be gone this year or next. Our upside is bigger than their downside. Of course that needs to be sold correctly and of course we need to execute on it. Can’t imagine anyone can have a ton of confidence in that...but it still feels like the quickest, best potential path to tangible improvement

I just dont think we will get any type of QB transfer maybe a freshman but no upper-class transfer with TD coming back.

If you count double seniors and Covid redshirts, I have no fricking clue

yeah, me either. The NCAA hasn't said yet how they're going to handle this extra year of eligibility and roster sizes yet. I'm sure it'll be a mess. IMO, they should've never allowed the extra year.

yeah, me either. The NCAA hasn't said yet how they're going to handle this extra year of eligibility and roster sizes yet. I'm sure it'll be a mess. IMO, they should've never allowed the extra year.

Players who have exhausted their eligibility that return will NOT count towards the 85 player limit for 2021 only.

In 2022, rosters must be back at 85.

I don't get the current infatuation with the portal. Syracuse is a difficult place to recruit players to in general. I am baffled by the belief that quality players, especially from elite programs, can be suddenly lured to play for a team in a two-season free fall when better opportunities surely exist at programs that easily out recruit us to begin with. Don't get me wrong, I want all sorts of unicorn players to transfer in yesterday, but I just think anyone relying on the portal to fix our woes- many of which extend to the locker room and the coaching staff- is in for bitter disappointment.
I also am curious as to how many of our guys are being pursued by other schools. We may have more guys opt to return than expected because they didn't get better options. None of us really know what is fact from fiction on if players are interested in coming here or other programs are interested in our guys.

Last edited:
I don't get the current infatuation with the portal. Syracuse is a difficult place to recruit players to in general. I am baffled by the belief that quality players, especially from elite programs, can be suddenly lured to play for a team in a two-season free fall when better opportunities surely exist at programs that easily out recruit us to begin with. Don't get me wrong, I want all sorts of unicorn players to transfer in yesterday, but I just think anyone relying on the portal to fix our woes- many of which extend to the locker room and the coaching staff- is in for bitter disappointment.
Players coming out of HS-Generally look for the biggest name
Players transferring-Look for the best place to get on the field. They are running out of time to show what they have.
There are obviously exceptions to both groups, but I believe is the general rule. This should help in places where we have starting positions wide open like DL. OL it might depend if Servais returns. QB will be harder to land a top guy with TD returning, but can get a quality guy if he's convinced he has a real chance to compete for the starting job and if not, has a great opportunity to succeed him.

The OP brought up the word realistic. A couple posters brought up 4 players that Dino has brought in already. 1) AET, a great example of a player we had identified, was playing P5 and was fantastic here. Realistic. 2)Koda, extremely unrealistic. Do any current coaches have a son that plays OL for a SEC team . 3) Bleich, he was hurt but was a starter at a SEC team. Still wasn't ready for the opener and still hasn't played a down. Between the injury and time off the jury is definitely still out. But surely isn't the type of risk/ reward player that Dino can go after now. Not realistic. 4) Tristan Jackson, This is the type of player that I read about the most. Was a player who got some time but not enough from a P5 school. Well when we recruited him we could show him what AET had done. We threw a ton of passes at a frantic pace and played fast , really exciting football. I don't think we'd have a snowballs chance in hades landing him now. What can we offer him? Not realistic. It's not going to be as easy as some on here think . AET was a fantastic get but it sure doesn't always work out that way.

Are there any senior or RS Junior NT's whose team fired the DC and/or are moving away from a 3-4 or 3-3-5 defense?

That's probably a pretty small list but that's what I would be looking for.

Purely from a size standpoint:
Sione Tuitupou, USF Bulls, Defensive Tackle
Travius Harris, Troy Trojans, Defensive Tackle
Tiano Tialavea, UTEP Miners, Defensive Tackle
Well look at that, 4 guys right there that could be good fits. As said before, plenty of fish in the water. No reason for Dino not to fish it.

I think I say this every year. Just like recruiting, the Transfer Portal isn't a magical cure all. A transfer could turn out like an AET or a Koda Martin, or it could turn out like a Ryan Alexander or a Drew Allen.

IMO, 4-5 guys is a stretch, especially for all of them to contribute. With the new transfer rule, this could of course be wrong, as we don't know what the market is going to look like yet and if it's going to be more crowded. But a QB might be the most realistic get, as the transfer market most benefits the "one player" positions. Quality DTs are so rare anyway that a transfer might not be something to hold onto hope for. No idea about WRs or OTs.
Yikes, Drew Allen - here comes that headache again,

"Angry transfer portal guys..." sounds like a great name for a WHAM! cover band.

I hope Dino can add 1-2 legit sized DTs who can eat blocks and stay healthy. An OT would be good if Servais is gone, but I don't think mandatory.

I don't think portal QBs are going to yield more talent than Tommy given the recent subpar OL performances.

I expect Dino to weigh personality fit with talent as bringing in a number of transfers to a new locker room in a pivotal year could blow up in his face.

I’m giving your a like solely based on the appropriate punctuation for Wham! It’s like Jeb! It’s a necessary part of the name.

I’d love to see an OL, DL and a WR. I don’t see Dino and staff going hard into the transfer market. I know it’s an unusual year and I know that his seat is starting to feel a little bit warm, but if he brought in more than 3 or 4 I’d be shocked.

Players who have exhausted their eligibility that return will NOT count towards the 85 player limit for 2021 only.

In 2022, rosters must be back at 85.
which is where it gets interesting.. you could in theory have 20 Jrs who will be Jrs next yr and you might only have room for 5 kids the next yr.. a whole class of HS kids might not have room the following year depending on how many kids want to stay around.. it wont matter as much to the big schools as those kids stay only 3 yrs anyway..

Look, we need some BIG dudes on the OL. Especially with TD coming back. He needs a good comfortable pocket to really let loose and see success.

we also need a BIG body WR that is going to Moss people for the ball

autocorrect is your friend
I was quoting you, GO. That said, I know lots of staffs like wrestlers for those reasons. I know you originally typed "judo" in place of "juco". I was just funnin you but the thought stands. The Jones brothers were outstanding wrestlers in high school. I think judo does develop largely the same skill set.

I was quoting you, GO. That said, I know lots of staffs like wrestlers for those reasons. I know you originally typed "judo" in place of "juco". I was just funnin you but the thought stands. The Jones brothers were outstanding wrestlers in high school. I think judo does develop largely the same skill set.

the iPad switched it to judo

i was joking about it being a friend

Look, we need some BIG dudes on the OL. Especially with TD coming back. He needs a good comfortable pocket to really let loose and see success.

we also need a BIG body WR that is going to Moss people for the ball

with guys currently on the roster they are going to have the biggest online in the history of the program

with guys currently on the roster they are going to have the biggest online in the history of the program

Great, let’s get more. Can’t hurt

Criteria. Any kid that plays DL is over 290 gets an offer as long as they can spell SU

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom