Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Monday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
international-coffee-day-logo-horizontal.png

Welcome to International Coffee Day!

There are different legends as to how and when the drink was first brewed. One story claims that a 6th century goatherd from Kaffa named Kaldi saw that his goats were more lively after eating coffee beans. A monk named Mullah apparently noticed this and brewed the beverage and spread word of it around the region. Another story from the 15th century claims that a 9th century mufti—a Muslim legal expert—of Aden was the first to make the drink, and it became popular in Middle Eastern courts afterwards.

Coffee was brought to Italy by 1615, and to France by 1644. It became a popular drink in the court of Louis XIV in 1669, after the Turkish ambassador introduced it to him. France later introduced a coffee seedling to the Caribbean island of Martinique, and the plant eventually spread throughout Central and South America. The Dutch introduced the coffee plant to Indonesia and Java.

SU News

breakawayjpg-cd010e11b9233d59.jpg

Syracuse football bowl watch: Odds improve despite loss to Clemson (PS; Carlson)

Syracuse came a penalty flag and a late touchdown away from ending Bowl Watch and putting the Orange on College Football Playoff Watch for the first time.

Syracuse earned its golden opportunity with an admirable game against No. 3 Clemson but fell just short of finishing it off.
The loss might sting but it didn't really do anything to damage the Orange's chance of going to its first bowl game since 2013.

Last week's result: Loss 27-23 at No. 3 Clemson

What it meant: Syracuse won't be the national champion. Nothing else really changed.
The Orange impressed the country by pushing Clemson to the limit and, while there were some injuries, it appears to have avoided a rash of them that would derail the season.

Dino Babers doesn't seem like a fan of moral victories, but SU's performance on Saturday has to come close to qualifying.
This week's game: Saturday at Pittsburgh, 12:20 p.m.

What it means: Syracuse is favored in this game but there are some reasons for caution.

The Orange is on the road, at a place it hasn't won since 2001, and needs to re-focus after the emotional game against Clemson. None of that is easy.

Still, the Panthers are likely one of the three worst opponents on SU's schedule. Syracuse's two ACC crossover games, Pittsburgh and North Carolina, are about as easy as could be hoped.

ACC Rankings Week Five (gobblercountry.com; Johnson)

Atlantic
1. Clemson Tigers: What a week for Dabo Swinney and the Tigers. After naming true freshmen QB Trevor Lawrence the starter veteran Kelly Bryant announced his decision to transfer. Last year Clemson suffered their only loss, in the regular season, at the hands of Syracuse. This week they were barely able to defeat the Orange, 27-23, but not without cost. Lawrence went down during the second quarter with a head injury after inexplicably diving forward on a scramble. Another freshman, Chase Brice, found himself helming the Clemson comeback effort. Clemson’s defense struggled to put pressure on Syracuse QB Eric Dungey and their secondary again looked vulnerable. Brice didn’t do anything to lose the game, but it was Travis Etienne that saved the Tigers. Etienne had a career day, earning 203 yards on 27 carries (7.5-yard average per carry) and three TDs. Of the two good teams the Tigers have faced they have had close calls. Good teams win close games and Clemson remains the class of the ACC. There are a few games remaining that could be dangerous, including Saturday’s upcoming clash with Wake Forest.

2. Syracuse Orange: The late third quarter ineligible receiver down field penalty that negated a fourth down conversion might have cost Dino Babers and the Orange a victory at Death Valley. Had they kept that drive alive and scored, even a field goal, it might have been enough to keep the game out of the reigning ACC champions’ reach. ‘Cuse seemed to be the aggressive defense on the field, sacking Clemson’s QBs four times and earning six TFLs. It was a near complete game from the Orange and they didn’t really lose until Etienne scored Clemson’s final TD with 41 seconds left in regulation. The running defense was the only glaring negative, allowing 293 yards and three TDs. Barring any sort of hangover Babers and Syracuse should qualify for a bowl over the next two games when they face the dregs of the Coastal division. Pitt next week and UNC two weeks later.

Syracuse football falls short against #3 Clemson | The NewsHouse (thenewhouse.com; Williams)

In a battle of two undefeated teams — with one side featuring of one of the nation’s best offenses and the other side with one of the top defenses — the defense prevailed. Third-ranked Clemson squeaked by Syracuse, 27-23, in Death Valley on Saturday afternoon.

The Orange (4-1) entered the game with a top-10 scoring offense, putting an average of nearly 50 points on the scoreboard per game. At first, it appeared the offense would shine again. The Tigers deferred the ball, and the Orange controlled the tempo of the game early in their quest for another upset over the Tigers.
Syracuse’s Sean Riley rushed for 19 yards on a third down and three to keep the first SU possession alive, followed by an 18-yard completion to running back Moe Neal from quarterback Eric Dungey. The drive culminated with a 35-yard field goal from Andre Szmyt, giving the Orange a quick 3-0 lead.

On the first Clemson possession, the SU defense capitalized on a miscue. Tigers quarterback Trevor Lawrence fumbled on a read option and Alton Robinson recovered the ball at the Clemson 30-yard line.

Syracuse Has Officially Shed The “Moral Victory University” Label – Orange Fizz – Free Syracuse Recruiting News (orangefizz.net; Aki)

Over the past three seasons, some of Syracuse football’s crowning achievements end with promise, but not a win. A moral victory as some may call it.

Sure, there have been big wins. Victories over ranked Virginia Tech and Clemson teams certainly come to mind. But for every one of those, there seems to be just as many games like LSU and Miami: close, but not quite good enough. For some Orange fans who are trusting in this makeover of the program, those are good enough to keep you entertained.

Down in Clemson, Dino Babers had a chance for a new first: a marquee road win. For about 59 minutes of game time, it looked like Syracuse was coming home with a 5-0 record and arguably the greatest upset in SU history. But when the dust settled and Orange Nation awoke from these dreams, the real result was a 27-23 loss where SU was outscored 20-7 in the second half. All of this despite the “Golden Boy of College Football” getting knocked out of the game before halftime and, by all intents and purposes, an inexperienced third string quarterback leading the Tigers.

Syracuse football loses to Clemson, but proves plenty - The Juice Online (the juice; Cheng)

A lot has happened in the last two years with the Syracuse football team.

Two years ago on the very same field at Memorial Stadium, the Orange looked completely hapless in a 54-0 drubbing. SU lost Eric Dungey to an injury and also plenty of pride as it returned to Central New York en route to a 4-8 season.
Compare and contrast that with its effort on Saturday afternoon.

Syracuse wasn’t looking to play to stay competitive, or to save face. SU looked like a team that believed—nay, expected—it could upset the No. 2/3 team in the country in one of the most hostile road environments, aptly nicknamed Death Valley.
The Orange led throughout most of Saturday, and all the way until the final 41 seconds. A gassed defense finally relented and ended up being gashed by Travis Etienne. But Clemson needed every bit of Etienne’s talent to edge past the pesky Orange.
Even if it was a loss, it was still a statement. The Orange is an ACC doormat no longer. A program that has suffered through the dry years of Scott Shafer and Greg Robinson seems to have finally found its footing.
The steps forward have carried with it certain expectations.

While last year’s 27-24 upset at the Carrier Dome was thrilling, it was a fluke. Clemson was the superior team at the time.

feaster_tavien_cuse_800-479.jpg

After emotional week, Scott says "we just imposed our will" on Syracuse (tigernet.com; Hood)

It’s hard to imagine that members of the Clemson could have had a more emotional week than the one just ended, but in the end, they found the guts and resolve for a comeback win and a 94- yard game-winning drive as the clock began to run out in the fourth quarter.

The Tigers were without their top two quarterbacks (at least to begin the week) in Kelly Bryant (transfer) and Trevor Lawrence (injury). Starting right tackle Tremayne Anchrum (ankle) tried to play but couldn’t go, setting off a reshuffling of the offensive line. Starting right guard Sean Pollard moved over to his old right tackle spot after the loss of Anchrum and walked into the interview room with a pronounced limp, a walking boot, and a look of weariness etched on his face. “It’s been a long week,” he said before he sat down. Indeed it has, and co-offensive coordinator Jeff Scott knew Saturday would tell them a lot about the kind of team they have.

“There’s a lot of things going on. A very emotional week for our team, obviously. As coaches, we knew that today was going to say a lot about our team,” Scott said. “Really challenged our guys - I felt that they responded this week in practice and obviously things didn’t go our way there in the first half, but I think that the way that they responded said a lot about our team. We’ve been a team, and we’ve been in those situations where we just kept fighting and kept believing. I think this is gonna be one of those learning times. I think in the past we had to lose a game to have that learning moment, and hopefully, that was what today was about. But, I’m just very proud of the offensive line. Being able to run the ball for close to 300 yards.

"That last drive – with everything that was on us, the way the game had gone, really hadn’t gone our way – and to be able to go 94 yards with the game on the line. And, they knew we were running it. Everybody knew we were running it, and I felt that we just imposed our will. All those backs got in there and ran hard – it was a great response. And, Chase Brice – what can you say about him. Very difficult circumstance. Not only to come in, but to come in when we were down and not really on our game. I’ll always remember as long as Chase is here – fourth and six with the game on the line. To be able to stand in there, that window as about three feet wide, and he threaded the needle to Tee Higgins – or we don’t win the game.”

5bb174638c26b.image.jpg

CLEMSON FOOTBALL: A win the Tigers won't forget (thetanddd.com; Lentz)

A week ago, Chase Brice was the third-string quarterback for the No. 2 Clemson Tigers, playing only in meaningless, mop-up duty.

Less than one week later, he is the big man on campus after he led the Tigers on a 13-play, 94-yard game-winning touchdown drive against the Syracuse Orange on Saturday in a 27-23 win.

“You think he’s going to stroll around campus with his chest stuck out on Monday. … He led the Tigers to a win,” head coach Dabo Swinney said. “Chase was the third guy in the spring. I said many times in fall camp, y'all aren't asking me about Chase Brice. I'm telling you he can play. I'm not surprised. He will never forget this.

"For him to have to go in and win a game in that type of situation. More important, his teammates will believe in him. That's priceless.”

The Tigers were reeling in the first half of Saturday’s game after losing starting quarterback Trevor Lawrence to “concussion-like symptoms” with Clemson trailing 19-7. However, it was moments like these that Brice had prepared for his entire life.

7 takeaways from No. 4 Clemson's gritty win versus Syracuse (postandcourier.com; Graynor)

Dabo Swinney was extra chatty Saturday evening at Death Valley and extra raw, too, when it came to the way the Clemson football coach conducted himself. He felt a smorgasbord of emotions after his football team slid past Syracuse 27-23 in a game that was the talk of college football all weekend.

There was the pride he felt afterward, but the fear in the middle of the contest, when starting quarterback Trevor Lawrence was sidelined for the entire second half with concussion-like symptoms. There was nostalgia he appeared to have felt for former quarterback and now-departed Kelly Bryant, frustration he felt with suspended players and relief that seeped in when it was all said and done.

But perhaps above all, there was confidence. The Clemson coach says he learned more about his team Saturday than he has at any other point this season. Because of that, he mentioned Saturday would go down as one of his all-time favorite wins. Looking back, here are seven takeaways from that matchup:

Clemson QB Chase Brice recaps win against Syracuse (islandpacket.com; video; Connolly)

Clemson football QB Chase Brice on the comeback win against Syracuse

Clemson Tiger Football - Paws Up, Paws Down (shakinthesouthland.com; Priester)

After the week this Clemson team endured, I'm not sure we should've expected anything other than what unfolded on Saturday. That game was an emotional rollercoaster ride, and I hate rollercoasters. This game gave me all of the same feelings I have while riding one. From thinking it's not going to be bad at all, to almost feeling as if my stomach left me, to jubilation once you've realized you survived and that the ride has ended. Or that's how I felt the only time I did actually ride one.

I went in thinking Clemson should win comfortably, but in very short order realized that wasn't going to be the case. At times throughout the second and third quarter, it very much felt like I was witnessing what was supposed to be a very promising season ending in a way I would have never imagined. That maybe this time, there were too many distractions and obstacles to overcome. I mean, how many teams actually survive losing their top two quarterbacks?

Then it happened. We all watched as a young, inexperienced, redshirt freshman came off the bench and grew up on the field right in front of our very eyes. I think it's only fitting that's where we begin.

Chase Brice

What a performance. After being forced into action when Trevor Lawrence went down with an injury, this kid delivered, and in a big way. It wasn’t the greatest of starts for the former 3rd string QB, but it was a pretty good ending. Brice struggled with his accuracy on his first few throws but eventually settled in and in the end, led a 13 play 94 yard scoring drive to give Clemson the win. A drive that included a beautiful throw to Tee Higgins for a 20 yard gain on a 4th & 6 with the game, and possibly the season on the line. The very next play, Brice had a 17 yard run where he executed a zone read to perfection. It was a game most Tiger fans won’t forget anytime soon, and a performance that will have Brice being remembered forever, no matter how his career unfolds... Paws Up

No. 4 Clemson's depth and attitude come through in comeback (AP; Iacobelli)

Clemson proved again that it has the resolve to maintain its hold on the Atlantic Coast Conference. And the depth.
Quarterback Chase Brice, who went from third-stringer to comeback kid in a week, helped the Tigers rally to beat Syracuse on Saturday.

The Tigers (5-0, 2-0 ACC) entered the season juggling two starting-caliber passers in senior Kelly Bryant and freshman Trevor Lawrence, a five-star prodigy. But Bryant left the team early this week after being demoted behind Lawrence, and the new starter went out in the second quarter against Syracuse with a possible concussion.
That left Brice, who was fifth on depth chart last January but no slouch. The redshirt freshman was a three-star recruit from Grayson, Georgia, in the class of 2017. He is the type of player that dozens of schools, even Power Five teams, would love to have.
"I was thrown into a situation where I needed to produce," he said. "And I was prepared."
Lawrence could be back as soon as next week against Wake Forest for Clemson, which slipped a spot to No. 4 in the AP Top 25 on Sunday. Coach Dabo Swinney said Lawrence wanted to go back in against Syracuse after taking a hard hit in the second quarter, but coaches refused.

Clemson 27, Syracuse 23 Photo Gallery (clemsoninsider.com; photo gallery; MacRae)

The Tigers needed a fourth quarter comeback and a great home crowd to defeat Syracuse 27-23 Saturday at Death Valley.
Check out some of the action in TCI’s Photo Gallery!

Week 6 College Football Rankings: Tulane, Georgia Southern and Syracuse Jump (herosports.com; Doughty)

Tulane was the only team to jump at least 20 spots (29), but eight other teams jump at least 10 spots, including Florida and Syracuse (18 apiece). The Gators beat Mississippi State in Dan Mullen's return to Starkville, and while Syracuse lost to Clemson, they outplayed the Tigers for a large portion of that game and proved to be a top-40 team.

There are six new teams in the Top 100 Rankings, led by Georgia Southern, who is No. 79 after beating Arkansas State.

Syracuse Football Clashes Against Clemson (wicz.com; Paddock)

The Syracuse Orange went toe to toe with the #3 Clemson Tigers on Saturday.
Last year Syracuse stunned the entire country as they took home the biggest upset of the college season as they knocked off Clemson at home on Friday the 13th of all days.

After knocking Kelly Bryant out in the second half of that game Cuse' would go on to win 27-24.
This year Clemson had home field advantage playing down in "Death Valley".
The controversy between Kelly Bryant transferring out of Clemson wouldn't phase the Tigers though as they went on to win a close one 27- 23.

Syracuse started the game with a 6-0 lead after two field goals, but with 54 seconds left in the 1st quarter, Syracuse would be down on the scoreboard for the first time all season.

They would answer back as Dungey ran a one-yard touchdown in to give Syracuse a 13-7 lead, and eventually a 16-7 lead going into halftime.

Just like the season prior Syracuse's tough defense took the Tiger's #1 Quarterback out of the game, but the third-string quarterback Chase Brice would answer the call leading Clemson to the comeback win with under two minutes left in the game.
Eric Dungey would go 26-41 for 250 yards and an interception through the air and 13 carries for 11 yards and 2 touchdowns on the ground.

Clemson was led by Running back Trevor Etienne who carried the ball 27 times for a whopping 203 yards and 3 touchdowns.

Syracuse Football: The Orange deserve a top 25 ranking (itlh.com; Mlodzinski)

Despite suffering their first loss of the 2018 season on Saturday to Clemson, the Syracuse football team proved that they are worthy of a top 25 ranking.

With the Associated Press Top 25 poll set to release early Sunday afternoon, the Syracuse football team has a very good chance at receiving a bunch of votes.

Although the Orange lost to the Clemson Tigers on Saturday, bringing their record from 4-0 to 4-1, it was more than that. Syracuse played extremely well on the road against No. 3 ranked Clemson, perhaps one of the hardest places to play in all of college football, only losing by four points on a last second drive by the Tigers.

Saturday proved that Syracuse not only can hold their own against quality teams, but it showed that they can compete on the road as well.

Despite their loss this week, the Orange are a top 25 team.
Whether or not the voters agree is another story, but this is a Syracuse team that has proven they can win after the 4-0 start and has solidified themselves as a team that belongs in the same category as a Clemson or an Ohio State.
Now, no one is guaranteeing the Orange’s level of play to remain the same for the rest of the season. Syracuse still has a loaded ACC schedule to deal with, including games against NC State and Wake Forest, and another high quality matchup with Notre Dame inside Yankee Stadium at the end of the year.

The Orange will need a lot of help, since most of the time it does come down to a team winning versus another team losing in the rankings. However, with multiple lower ranked teams falling on Saturday, such as Mississippi State and Duke, Syracuse should be an attractive team to receive more votes and move on inside the actual polls.

Five Takeaways From Pitt's Loss to UCF (pittsburghnow.com; Saunders)

Pat Narduzzi eloquently summed up UCF’s 45-14 of the his Panthers on Saturday with the first line of his post-game press conference.

“Obviously, that’s a good football team,” he said.

Left unsaid, but just as obviously, Pitt isn’t.

It’s not that the Panthers don’t have talent. They do. Whether they have as much talent as the No. 13 Knights, well we’re never going to find out.
Because yet again, the Panthers failed to play a winning brand of football. Pitt was penalized 11 times for 125 yards and furthermore, had penalties wipe out both of the turnovers they were able to create while turning the ball over in the red zone on offense.
Pitt’s offense struggled with the speed of the UCF defense, Pitt’s defense struggled with the speed and temp of the UCF defense and failed to contain McKenzie Milton, either on the ground or in the air.
Even Pitt’s one area of improvement — special teams — was more of a mixed bag. Rafael Araujo-Lopes took a punt back 86 yards for a score and Kirk Christodoulou finally got his punting average out of the 30s, but freshman Mychale Salahuddin took a kickoff out of the end zone and only got to the 14. While Christodoulou was better than he had been, he was still the lesser of the two punters, meaning that Pitt was fighting an uphill field position battle once again.

Other

Last edited:
It's hard to argue with Gobbler Country's assessment of Orange football. Babers has Syracuse [almost] back, IMO. Count me as impressed!

we would have more sacks sat had we been able to stop the run in the 2nd half i suspect. but we couldnt slow them down enough to let the DEs go after the QB

Man, remember those many years we were clamoring for a ST coach and emphasis on ST. Realization of a dream.

My recollection is that of place kickers who were maddeningly inaccurate.

This guy blows me away. He is really good.

Szmyt reminds me a lot of Dan Bailey. Calm, smooth and has more leg power than it looks.