Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday - for Football | Syracusefan.com

Orangeyes Daily Articles for Friday for Football

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Korean-American-Day-January-13.jpg
Welcome to Korean American
Day!

A treaty was signed between the United States and Korea in 1882, which formalized peaceful relations built on friendship and commerce between the two countries. Shortly thereafter, students, politicians, diplomats, and businesspersons from Korea began visiting the United States. Then, the SS Gaelic arrived in Honolulu, Hawaii, on January 13, 1903, carrying 102 Korean immigrants. Over the next two years, around 7,500 Korean immigrants arrived in the United States, most of whom worked on sugar plantations in Hawaii. Korean American Day commemorates the arrival of the first Korean immigrants to the United States and honors the contributions of Korean Americans to the country. The holiday has been observed by states and municipalities and has been designated by the United States House of Representatives and the United States Senate.

SU News

full_393209-560x246.jpg

2023 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Matthew Bergeron (OT – Syracuse) (fantasypros.com; Jones)

As the NFL season winds down, FantasyPros will be taking a look at early NFL draft scouting reports before the combine in March. Here’s a look at Matthew Bergeron.

2023 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Matthew Bergeron (OT – Syracuse)

Matthew Bergeron (OT – Syracuse)

6’5″ – 322 lbs.

Background:

Took over the starting right tackle job in week nine of his freshman season, totaling five games there, then became a full-time starter the following year, with the first three games at right tackle before flipping to the left side, where he stayed for the last two seasons. Finished with thirty-nine starts, thirty-one of which came at left tackle. Allowed thirteen career sacks, five of which came last year.

Positives:

Started the last thirty-nine games with experience on both sides of the line. A thickly-built offensive lineman who looks the part. Plays the game with the physicality and toughness teams look for in offensive linemen; capitalizes on opportunities to finish opponents. Fires out low and with some explosiveness and can overwhelm opposing defenders at the point of attack. Able to attack the outside shoulder and collapse run fits. Keeps his feet going after contact and works through the whistle. Grip strength to sustain is very good. Works hard to pull/climb and engage opponents; has the straight-line speed to engage at the second level. Shows a good understanding of positioning to wall off opponents. There’s enough power in his hands to jolt opponents with his punch and knock them off-balance with his shove. Has an excellent anchor to absorb power and can win even if everything doesn’t go perfectly with his form. Sheer mass helps mask some of his athletic deficiencies when defending against speed on the edge. Does a pretty good job of staying within his frame.

Negatives:

Could be viewed as a guard conversion candidate depending on his measurements, and has only four snaps of experience inside; height is on the borderline of what teams look for, and doesn’t appear to have the most length. Effectiveness as a pull-blocker is more effort-based than athleticism-based. Has a stilted kickslide with a hunched back, narrow base, and below-average lateral quickness; looks lumbering when trying to get depth and protect the edge against speed. Was penalty-prone prior to this past season, with twenty-two penalties in twenty-eight starts going into this year (but committed just three as a senior); hands find their way outside too often.

maxresdefault.jpg

Syracuse Football: QB/DB target had special season, racks up big awards (itlh; Adler)

Micah Ford, a 2024 athlete who received a Syracuse football scholarship offer last month, put forth a massive junior campaign for his high school in New Jersey, and now player of the year awards are piling up for him.

The 6-foot-1, 210-pound Ford is a top-flight quarterback and a defensive back for Toms River High School North in Toms River, N.J., which in the recently completed 2022 season went a perfect 14-0 and captured the Group 5 state championship in New Jersey.

In December, Ford was named the 2022 MaxPreps player of the year in New Jersey.

And just in the last week or so, he added to his trophy collection, as Ford picked up the 2022-23 Gatorade player of the year honor in New Jersey.

Syracuse football is pursuing 2024 quarterback/defensive back Micah Ford.

According to his Twitter page, Ford landed an offer from the Orange on December 11. Per a story from James Finneral of 247Sports, Ford took a visit to the Hill in mid-November, when Syracuse football hosted Florida State at the JMA Wireless Dome.

Nick Monroe Discusses Taking Minnesota Job, Leaving Syracuse (SI; McAllister)

All Syracuse caught up with Nick Monroe following the news that he is leaving Syracuse football after seven seasons to become the co-defensive coordinator at Minnesota.

Q: How did this come about?

Monroe: "I am good friends with Joe Rossi, the defensive coordinator. I've known coach Fleck for a long time. Our paths have crossed on the road and whatnot. I've been really tight with Joe Rossi. We talk all the time even during the season. Especially if we're playing a common opponent. But if there are things that might come up, I might call him during the course of the week or he might call me during the course of the week. Obviously this year the common opponent was Purdue. So we spent quite a bit of time even in the summer time talking about Purdue and how to game plan them. Things that we thought we could be good at. After the game (Pinstripe Bowl), coach Fleck and I spoke for a little bit. Nothing about the job but just professional common courtesy with 'hey great to see you. Great job.' Then about a week later, I guess, not even a week later, he called and asked if I had any interest because he had a job open. He asked if I had any interest in coming home. I said, 'absolutely. It's home.' So for the next few days he and I and Joe Rossi spoke quite a bit about the possibility of going back home."

Q: Was any part of this related to not getting the defensive coordinator position at Syracuse and the hiring of Rocky Long?

Monroe: "It really was just a chance to go home to be with family and friends. It's a once in a lifetime opportunity, it really is."

Q: What was the conversation with Dino Babers when you told him the news?

Monroe: "I've been loyal to him but he's been very loyal to me as well. I'd be lying if I said there weren't other opportunities that have come about in the past. Both he and Mr. Wildhack have been very gracious to me and my family. They've been instrumental in me sticking around here. I never really had much interest in other places. This one (Minnesota) is a different one because it is home. But he's great. Of course he doesn't want our run to end and honestly I didn't either. But like I said, this is a special deal. I think he really is happy for me and the fact that I get to go home and be with my parents. I think that he does value that and does appreciate that. It really was a pretty easy conversation. It wasn't like he was upset or mad or anything like that."

Syracuse defensive passing game coordinator Nick Monroe to join Minnesota as cornerbacks coach (thedailygopher.com; Ruane)

Syracuse defensive passing game coordinator and safeties coach Nick Monroe is joining the Minnesota Golden Gophers as cornerbacks coach and co-defensive coordinator.

Monroe served as Syracuse’s interim defensive coordinator in the Pinstripe Bowl.

Initially hired as secondary coach in 2016, Monroe has spent the last eight years with the Orange. Prior to his hiring at Syracuse, he had coached for five years at Bowling Green. He started his coaching career in 2002 at Allegheny College, Minnesota defensive coordinator Joe Rossi’s alma mater. In between Allegheny and Bowling Green, Monroe had a six-year coaching stint at Colgate.

Monroe steps in for former cornerbacks coach and co-defensive coordinator Paul Haynes, who left to join Luke Fickell’s coaching staff at Wisconsin.

ACC News

2022-23 Fall Director's Cup Standings (RX; HM)

2022-23 Fall Director's Cup Standings

From the official ACC release of Thursday, January 12, 2023...

ACC Leads Way in LEARFIELD Directors’ Cup Final Fall Standings
GREENSBORO, N.C. (theACC.com) – Buoyed by three national championships and a pair of runner-up finishes, the Atlantic Coast Conference led the way in the 2022-23 LEARFIELD Directors’ Cup Division I fall standings released Thursday morning.

The ACC’s three NCAA titles in 2022-23 are one more than any other D-1 conference. Of the five national championship games for ACC-sponsored sports in the fall, ACC teams played in four of those games.

The ACC leads all conferences with four schools in the top 10, and 10 schools among the top 25 of the current LEARFIELD Directors Cup standings. North Carolina holds the top spot, while Syracuse checks in at No. 5, Pitt is tied for No. 6 and Virginia holds the No. 9 spot.

1UNC
5Syracuse
6Pitt
9Uva
13Notre Dame
14Florida State
17Duke
19Wake Forest
21NC State
22Louisville
35Clemson

News: Clemson Hires OC from TCU (RX; HM)

News: Clemson Hires OC from TCU

For several years now, the Clemson Tigers have struggled on the offensive side of the ball. People wondered how long Dabo Swinney would stick with his friend, Brandon Streeter, at OC. Thursday, they got their answer when the Tigers hired TCU Offensive Coordinator Garrett Riley, younger brother of USC Head Coach Lincoln Riley.

TigerNet was certainly happy to see this, calling this a "home run hire" [article link].

JFann of AllSportsDiscussion also approves:

...Swinney pulled a stunner by hiring arguably the best young offensive mind in college football in TCU’s OC Garrett Riley. I think it’s a great move by Swinney, and completely changes the outlook for next season.
[article link].

All of a sudden, I'm really looking forward to watching some 2023 Clemson football!

How Garrett Riley can succeed with Clemson football's offense where Brandon Streeter failed (yahoo.com; Keepfer)

With TCU’s Garrett Riley the reported choice to be the new offensive coordinator for Clemson football, what must Riley do to add some juice to the Tigers’ offense?

Riley would appear to have plenty of pieces with which to work. They should make his task achievable, particularly for a coach who has built an impressive resume in a fairly short time frame.

Complaints about Clemson’s offense in its only season under offensive coordinator Brandon Streeter were plentiful, with descriptions including stagnant, non-imaginative and devoid of a downfield passing threat.

Streeter was fired by Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney on Thursday.

Riley will be expected to excel in three areas in which Streeter failed, including:

Inconsistent quarterback play

Streeter remained loyal to DJ Uiagalelei until, well, almost the bitter end, defending his starter repeatedly even when it was evident that his struggles had manifested and rendered the offense ineffective and predictable.

NC State football schedule: What we know (on3.com; Carter)

The ACC has announced that the 2023 NC State football schedule will be released, along with the rest of the league’s slates, on Jan. 30. Fans can watch on the ACC Network at 7 p.m. to find out who is playing who and when.

There are a few things already known about the NC State football schedule, however. Here are some of the details.

The Non-Conference Opponents (And Likely Dates)

NC State football is expected to start the 2023 season like the Pack did in 2022, on the road. This time at Connecticut. Sources indicate to The Wolfpacker that the exact day of the week may not be set in stone, however.

Connecticut went a surprising 6-6 in the regular season last year in year one under former NFL and UCLA head coach Jim L. Mora. The Huskies then lost in the Myrtle Beach Bowl to Marshall, who is also on the NC State football schedule.

When the Marshall game was announced, the Thundering Herd’s press release indicated that game would be Oct. 7. Marshall is replacing Cincinnati on the schedule, and the Bearcats are footing much of the bill to make the game happen. Cincinnati needed to drop a non-conference game as part of the move to the Big 12 for next season.

Marshall, who stunned Notre Dame on the road in Week 2, won 6 of 7 games to end the year and finish with a 9-4 record. They are likely to be a trendy choice going into 2023 as a Group of Five team to watch.

NC State is also playing what has become an annual contest against a Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) opponent. Next year’s opposition is not an attractive one, even for by FCS standards — a VMI squad that went 1-10 and lost 8 games by at least 18 points.

OT/Breaking: B1G Commish Enters Transfer Portal (RX; HM)

OT/Breaking: B1G Commish Enters Transfer Portal

According to NBC Sports and other sources, Big Ten Commissioner Kevin Warren is resigning to become the President and CEO of the NFL's Chicago Bears.

What does this mean for the ACC? Likely, Big Ten expansion will now take a much different direction from the one Warren had it on. Warren's NFL background had him focused on TV and revenue; now there is a distinct possibility that the Big Ten shifts its focus back toward academics. If that happens, most good ACC football schools are no longer Big Ten expansion targets. In the opinion of JRSEC:

...the Warren departure makes adding California, Stanford and Washington more likely, and Oregon less likely, but possible.
I would think that the top 4 Big 10 targets just became California, Notre Dame, Stanford and Washington in a move to 20.

For the ACC, the best Pac-12 targets (should the B1G pull the trigger on the above) would be Oregon, Utah, and Colorado; add a team from Texas like TCU and you have yourselves a nice little expansion bump!

Would Jim Phillips leave the ACC to become commissioner of the Big Ten? :: WRALSportsFan.com (wralsportsfan.com; video; Ovies & Giglio)

Joe Ovies and Joe Giglio discuss the likelihood of Jim Phillips switching conferences on The OG.

NCAA Votes to Limit 2nd Xfers (RX; HM)

NCAA Votes to Limit 2nd Xfers

I missed this earlier (from CBS Sports):

NCAA Council votes to limit eligibility for second-time transfers to curb ballooning portal usage

"Nearly 2,000 FBS players opted to enter the transfer portal following the 2022 regular season"

That number is insane. They knew they had to do something, so this is what they did (per CBS):

The NCAA Division I Council approved legislation on Wednesday to limit waivers for second-time transfers. Now, undergraduate players who transfer will have specific guidelines they must meet in order to be eligible for immediate playing time starting with the 2023-24 season or risk sitting out a year in between transfers.

CBS: College football first-year coach grades (RX; HM)

CBS: College football first-year coach grades

From the article on CBS Sports, here are the ACC-related grades:

Duke: Mike Elko (9-4)
Elko was a solid hire at Duke, but results came quicker than anyone could have imagined. The Blue Devils won nine games for the first time since 2014 behind improvement on both sides of the ball. Duke has a young quarterback, Riley Leonard, to build around.
Grade: A
Hiring Cristobal was never a one-year decision, but the first year was a faceplant nonetheless. The Hurricanes failed to reach bowl eligibility for the first time since 2007 and lost to Middle Tennessee as 26-point favorites. One year after going 5-3 in conference, Miami was outscored by 96 points in ACC play.
Grade: F
The Cavaliers looked substantially diminished in Elliott's first season, but Virginia's on-field performance became irrelevant after three players were murdered in a horrifying tragedy. Elliott handled the situation with grace and earned the program fans from around the country.
Grade: N/A

Virginia Tech: Brent Pry (3-8)
The Hokies atrophied under the previous staff, but 2022 marked rock bottom. A three-win campaign was the worst since 1992. Pry is betting big on the transfer portal in 2023, but Virginia Tech has plenty of ground to make up.
Grade: F

Teel: A tireless advocate for ACC, Jim Phillips also a natural candidate for Big Ten (richmond.com; Teel)

John Swofford served 24 years as ACC commissioner, the lengthiest tenure in the conference’s history. His successor, Jim Phillips, has been on the job for about 24 months. But for how much longer?

The question went viral Thursday morning when the Chicago Bears announced the hiring of Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren as their team president.

Phillips has deep Big Ten roots. He’s a Chicago native and University of Illinois graduate. He had an accomplished, 10-year run as Northwestern’s athletic director before joining the ACC.

Indeed, Phillips was widely viewed as the heir apparent to Jim Delany, who led the Big Ten from 1989-2020. But the Big Ten opted for an unconventional hire in Warren, then a Minnesota Vikings executive.

He has yet to relocate his family from Chicago, in part because of his youngest son’s schooling, in part because of uncertainty regarding the ACC’s headquarters. Capping more than a year of exploration, the league announced in September it will relocate from Greensboro, North Carolina, the city of its 1953 origin, to Charlotte.

State of residence aside, Phillips is a tireless advocate for the ACC’s brand, thousands of athletes and 15 institutions. His travels, to on-campus competitions, plus conference and NCAA championships, are exhaustive.
Phillips has learned ACC history and conducted an in-person listening tour of conference schools. He represented the league on the NCAA’s Constitution and Transformation committees, a time commitment that shouldn’t be understated. He prioritized upgrading ACC football, shepherding a long-overdue makeover of the league schedule and increasing the sport’s presence on the ACC Network.

Tennessee Transfer Receiver Headed To ACC | Rocky Top Insider (rockytopinsider.com; Schumpert)

Tennessee transfer receiver Walker Merrill signed with Wake Forest to continue his college football career Thursday.

The rising junior found a home quickly, signing with the Demon Deacons just eight days after entering the transfer portal.

“My time there (Knoxville) will always be cherished,” Merrill wrote in a statement announcing his transfer. “I gave everything I had to the program and gained a lot of great memories, friendships and experiences. After many thoughts and prayers with family and mentors, I have decided to enter my name in the transfer portal.”

Merrill was one of Tennessee’s top back up receivers as a sophomore after moving from slot receiver to out wide.

The Brentwood, Tennessee native caught eight passes for 166 yards and three touchdowns in his sophomore season. All three of Merrill’s touchdowns came on passes from Joe Milton III. Two were in garbage time of wins over Ball State and Akron and the other came in Tennessee’s regular season finale win over Vanderbilt.

Merrill would have had a chance to earn a starting job in his junior season but Bru McCoy, Ramel Keyton and Squirrel White’s return and Oregon transfer Dont’e Thornton’s arrival made his path extremely difficult.

Wake Forest has been one of the ACC’s better programs under former Tennessee offensive coordinator Dave Clawson. The Demon Deacons have won eight or more games in three of the last four seasons and boast a strong passing offense.

College Football: Early Storylines to Watch for the 2023 Season (athlonsports.com; Lassan)

College football's 2022 season ended with Georgia's thumping of TCU on Monday night. And while the offseason hasn't really started yet, the countdown to '23 is already underway. With the transfer portal, recruiting and signing day upcoming, and then eventually spring practice, quiet moments in the world of college football are likely to be minimal for the next few months. While the world of college football has plenty of time to dissect preseason debates and rankings, several storylines have already caught our attention for next year. Coach Prime's arrival at Colorado, a changing of the guard potentially in the ACC, and new quarterbacks at top contenders are just a few storylines to watch in '23.

What are some of the biggest storylines to watch next year? Here are 10 very early storylines we are excited to watch play out for the 2023 college football season:

College Football: Early Storylines to Watch for the 2023 Season

The 2023 Season Will be the Last of Its Kind
College football is going to look a lot different by the start of the '24 season. Oklahoma and Texas are likely to join the SEC by then, and USC and UCLA will certainly be members of the Big Ten in time for '24. And if conference realignment wasn't enough, the CFB Playoff will expand to 12 teams that year. The '23 season is going to be the last of its kind for a variety of reasons, as the sport is set to undergo some significant shifts for '24.

Other

6G5VGDERCNANLADPWT7B53ICOM.JPG

Syracuse University chemistry professor Dr. Ben Burtt leads his first bird-watching expedition in this undated photo. He gave an impromptu lesson on bird characteristics, then banded an evening grosbeak and released it. Syracuse Post-StandardSyracuse Post-Standard

One small bird forgot to fly south during a warm winter, so Syracusans bought him a plane ticket to Nashville (PS; Croyle)

I had Dr Burtt for Chemistry at SU in the 1980s. Very good professor.

The winter of 1953 had been a mild one in Syracuse until a miserable day on Jan. 9. Temperatures slowly rose from 24 to 31 degrees and freezing rain fell, coating everything -- city streets, automobiles, and airplane wings -- in a glaze of ice.

The storm was a harsh reminder that it was indeed winter in Central New York.

The late arrival of cold weather confused many, including a lone American woodcock, a bird that had somehow become stranded in Syracuse while the rest of his flock migrated south for the winter.

The bird was found in the parking lot at Hogan’s Automobile garage at South West and East Fayette Streets on the morning of the storm.

Syracuse University chemistry professor Dr. Ben Burtt leads his first bird-watching expedition in this undated photo. He gave an impromptu lesson on bird characteristics, then banded an evening grosbeak and released it. Syracuse Post-StandardSyracuse Post-Standard

Nicknamed “Woody the Woodcock,” he became an unlikely weekend celebrity in Syracuse. The story of how the community banded together to help the poor bird get out of icy Central New York and back to a warmer climate appeared in newspapers around the nation.

Nice article on Dr. Burtt, my freshman Chem 101 professor. Great professor, and was also famous for his legendary Water Lecture, a standing room-only lecture he did at the end of every year. In it, he mixed chemistry with comedy and played it totally straight, pretending to be nonplussed when the audience laughed. His column on birding was a regular feature in the Sunday newspaper. His son is multi-Oscar winner Ben Burtt, Jr.

Last edited: