For those of you obsessed with attendance | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

For those of you obsessed with attendance

You can advertise all you want, however, in the end you still have to deliver, and a quality product at that. Otherwise, people will simply tune it out and won't bother. Along the lines of; 'fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.'

At the very least - you have to advertise.

"There's a LOT else that you have to do"

And the thing is, if you win enough you don't even really have to do the second and third things on your list.

If SU was a perennial 8-9 win program we'd easily average 45K+. Because that's precisely what we saw the last time we were that caliber a program, and we did very little marketing or connecting back then.

Hell, we only need to look back 3 years to see what's possible.

50K for Clemson
45K for Pitt
43K for BC

And those last two were when we sat at 3-3 and 3-5 respectively.

We drew 43K for Louisville in 2018 after we got to 7-2.

This community is dying to support a good program.

Still not sure we would get over 45k. Yeah we did it during the Coach P era, but those were different times. That isn't an SU thing, as attendance isn't the same anywhere.

That being said, coming off of 2018, being ranked preseason, and having Clemson at home really setup for a big year in 2019. We started off that way but then the wheels came off and by the time of the Wake game we barely drew a crowd.

If you take out Wake we averaged 43,850 in 2019. Even if we didn't crap the bed against Maryland, I doubt we get many more people for Clemson, Western Michigan, or Holy Cross. Maybe we get a slightly larger crowd vs Pitt. I am sure the BC crowd would have been bigger. If we add 5k more to our total from those 5 games and bump Wake up to 45k, we would have been at 44,875.

In a normal year where we don't have a loaded home schedule of name teams, I think our ceiling is 45k. If SU were like Pitt under Narduzzi, I think we would be in the 42,500 to 45,000 season average range. That is where we should be. The reason we are below that level is the product on the field.

And the thing is, if you win enough you don't even really have to do the second and third things on your list.

If SU was a perennial 8-9 win program we'd easily average 45K+. Because that's precisely what we saw the last time we were that caliber a program, and we did very little marketing or connecting back then.

Hell, we only need to look back 3 years to see what's possible.

50K for Clemson
45K for Pitt
43K for BC

And those last two were when we sat at 3-3 and 3-5 respectively.

We drew 43K for Louisville in 2018 after we got to 7-2.

This community is dying to support a good program.
Bingo

Even if we were great every year we would never draw like many P5 teams do, even if we played in an NFL stadium like Pitt does. Our enrollment is small hence fewer students and fewer alumni in the pool. Obviously the turd that we have generally laid in that pool has killed attendance so just would be nice to sell out the Dome somewhat regularly. Ah to dream

Even if we were great every year we would never draw like many P5 teams do, even if we played in an NFL stadium like Pitt does. Our enrollment is small hence fewer students and fewer alumni in the pool. Obviously the turd that we have generally laid in that pool has killed attendance so just would be nice to sell out the Dome somewhat regularly. Ah to dream
The 50,000 seats were the right amount for the Orange from 85-2000. 49k plus was common. I believe we could get those #s again with a successful run of years ( Well 45 or whatever the new capacity is ) We may never know though.

I disagree. I think with consistent winning teams we could consistently fill or put respectable crowds in a 50-60,000 stadium.

But we dont win and we don’t advertise to all of CNY/upstate. There’s over a million people in upstate and there’s more “i have no allegiances” than notre dame and PSU fans.

From what I can glean they have sold quite a few seats on the lower level this week and some upper level end zones. The upper level sides don’t appear to have sold much. I’ll stick to my 35 k paid with 5k students helping out.

Last edited:
I disagree. I think with consistent winning teams we could consistently fill or put respectable crowds in a 50-60,000 stadium.

But we dont win and we don’t advertise to all of CNY/upstate. There’s over a million people in upstate and there’s more “i have no allegiances” than notre dame and PSU fans.
I don’t know, True Blue, back in the 1987-1998 glory days we drew well but I don’t think we sold out games

I don’t know, True Blue, back in the 1987-1998 glory days we drew well but I don’t think we sold out games
We have had this discussion before , You could not see an empty seat anywhere , but they weren’t referred to as sell outs. Sometimes single seats left , sometimes away tickets returned .

Man if we only get 27K, then we need to shut the program down. I’m going with my initial guess of 35K.

The students will be out in full force and I am hoping with a good walk up crowd, we can reach my estimate.

Most of the Ticketmaster map is light blue in comparison to last week.

Is that including the mannequins that JCP donated in their liquidation sale?
Ha! Who knows what the redemption rate will be. Just like everyone else we now announce tickets distributed, since that is all they have control over. And I feel pretty good about my estimate and that it will be bigger than any crowd last year.

Ha! Who knows what the redemption rate will be. Just like everyone else we now announce tickets distributed, since that is all they have control over. And I feel pretty good about my estimate and that it will be bigger than any crowd last year.
should be as covid restrictions no longer keeping some away

So are there any reasonable guesses on attendance or are we still talking about the fair? Spur of the moment decision to go to the game looking for two tickets. Preferably third deck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom