Frank Anselem | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Frank Anselem

9? Nein.

"You know how Boeheim do."
- Carmelo Anthony

We will - somehow - be down to 7.5 guys by midseason, because: see above.

Also - thinking JB won't play a F at C, when he's got X number of other Centers on the bench, is cute.
There will absolutely be a non-zero # of minutes played at the 5 by one or both of Cole & Junior.

Best case, is he goes 8 deep:
with his 5 starters, and 1 reserve G (Symir) 1 reserve F (whomever of Benny, Cole, Jr. doesn't start) and 1 reserve C (either of CDB or Frank).

That’s a Dion Waiters quote. Or they both said it. Or everybody who’s played at Syracuse in the last 45 years has said it!

Because it appears nothing is sacred in 2021 and backwards is the new forward it would be truly fantastic if we ended up seeing every scholarship player out there and in game 2 Chaz, Frank and JBA combined for 20, 10 and 5 while we all have to sit there pondering whether we actually are just in the Matrix.

Because it appears nothing is sacred in 2021 and backwards is the new forward it would be truly fantastic if we ended up seeing every scholarship player out there and in game 2 Chaz, Frank and JBA combined for 20, 10 and 5 while we all have to sit there pondering whether we actually are just in the Matrix.
If the starting 5-6 are outstanding this year when they're on the court, we may very well see that.

Discussion Talking GIF by Demic
Again, the ONLY reason why Boeheim gives the lion's share of available playing time to his 1-6 players is because his first priority is to make sure they get all the game-time minutes they need playing together to become a competitive unit at the end of the year.

He showed again last year the wisdom of that approach. When they were struggling to win games in the middle of the season, he shortened the bench & coached the hell out of them in practice and the results were impressive.

It's not like he isn't aware that his 7-10 players would get better with more PT. He knows that more than anybody. It's just that he has only so much PT to distribute and he's seen the improvement his teams' starters make over the course of a season with him fine-tuning their play together.

He's not about to deprive his starters of the time they need playing together--including protecting leads--in order to match up with the best that they'll face at the end of the year.

The hope for our guys deep on the bench is that our shooters plus improved Defense will build up the kind of leads that will make all possible...

Last edited:
If the starting 5-6 are outstanding this year when they're on the court, we may very well see that.

Again, the ONLY reason why Boeheim gives the lion's share of available playing time to his 1-6 players is because his first priority is to make sure they get all the game-time minutes they need playing together to become a competitive unit at the end of the year.

He showed again last year the wisdom of that approach. When they were struggling to win games in the middle of the season, he shortened the bench & coached the hell out of them in practice and the results were impressive.

It's not like he isn't aware that his 7-10 players would get better with more PT. He knows that more than anybody. It's just that he has only so much PT to distribute and he's seen the improvement his teams' starters make over the course of a season with him fine-tuning their play together.

He's not about to deprive his starters of the time they need playing together--including protecting leads--in order to match up with the best that they'll face at the end of the year.

The hope for our guys deep on the bench is that our shooters plus improved Defense will build up the kind of leads that will make all possible...
I thought we got better when he started playing the players we were all clamoring for (Kadary, Jesse and Big Bad Bob).

I thought we got better when he started playing the players we were all clamoring for (Kadary, Jesse and Big Bad Bob).
Yes, he did swap out BB Bob for Alan Griffin & Jesse did become a factor when he started to look more "ready" to Boeheim at the end of the year (which I think he rather expected). Kadary played the same amount pretty much throughout, as I recall.

Yeah, the notion that the team started to beat superior teams at the end of the season because JB started listening to armchair critics with remotes in their hands is quite a knee-slapper, IMO.

Yes, he did swap out BB Bob for Alan Griffin & Jesse did become a factor when he started to look more "ready" to Boeheim at the end of the year (which I think he rather expected). Kadary played the same amount pretty much throughout, as I recall.

Yeah, the notion that the team started to beat superior teams at the end of the season because JB started listening to armchair critics with remotes in their hands is quite a knee-slapper, IMO.
Lol

Don’t hurt your knee. I don’t think he did it because of arm chair critics, he did it in spite of arm chair critics. The team looked better and performed better with Kadary and Jesse on the floor. I love JB, but I think he is stubborn.

Don’t hurt your knee. I don’t think he did it because of arm chair critics, he did it in spite of arm chair critics. The team looked better and performed better with Kadary and Jesse on the floor. I love JB, but I think he is stubborn.
Yes he is stubborn. He stubbornly follows his own counsel and didn't waver for a second last year. That's why we made the Sweet 16.

He did make some player adjustments, giving Alan's crunch time minutes to Robert. He did it because he trusted Robert's experience+shooting ability+height and he couldn't depend on Alan to make those plays underneath the basket. It was based on what he saw in practice and what he saw in the games.

Some of JB's critics insisted that he wasn't playing Jesse cuz he never intended to play Jesse the entire year, but there's zero evidence of that & JB of all people has seen his developing players improve markedly throughout the course of a season in practice performance alone.

The assumption that JB didn't play Jesse more early because "he's stupid" is just pure malign supposition. He's seen team after team, and player after player, improve over the course of a season, watching it as it happens in practice every day.

Kadary played better toward the end of the season, just like most of the other players were. More practice, more familiarity, better team play. The kinds of improvements that Jim Boeheim's accustomed to seeing from his teams every year, which is why he still finds coaching gratifying...

Fair enough.
But in this “transfer portal/immediate gratification” Era, this type of approach leads to chaos.
We’ve seen the mostly positive outcomes in March, but to expect kids to sit and watch, especially when it’s obvious they have as good a game as a starter, will not cause this to end well. And it may be too late for JB to change his PT philosophy, & honestly why should he since it’s worked for him, but the foundation of cbb has shifted.
We’ll likely be facing multiple transfers after every season. Like a lot of others, the post-JB SU program will need to adjust, adapt, or die. JMHO

Last edited:
Yes he is stubborn. He stubbornly follows his own counsel and didn't waver for a second last year. That's why we made the Sweet 16.

He did make some player adjustments, giving Alan's crunch time minutes to Robert. He did it because he trusted Robert's experience+shooting ability+height and he couldn't depend on Alan to make those plays underneath the basket. It was based on what he saw in practice and what he saw in the games.

Some of JB's critics insisted that he wasn't playing Jesse cuz he never intended to play Jesse the entire year, but there's zero evidence of that & JB of all people has seen his developing players improve markedly throughout the course of a season in practice performance alone.

The assumption that JB didn't play Jesse more early because "he's stupid" is just pure malign supposition. He's seen team after team, and player after player, improve over the course of a season, watching it as it happens in practice every day.

Kadary played better toward the end of the season, just like most of the other players were. More practice, more familiarity, better team play. The kinds of improvements that Jim Boeheim's accustomed to seeing from his teams every year, which is why he still finds coaching gratifying...
You think we made the sweet 16 cuz of JB’s rotation?? Take the blinders off

Fair enough.
But in this “transfer portal/immediate gratification” Era, this type of approach leads to chaos.
We’ve seen the mostly positive outcomes in March, but to expect kids to sit and watch, especially when it’s obvious they have as good a game as a starter, will not cause this to end well. And it may be too late for JB to change his PT philosophy, & honestly why should he since it’s worked for him, but the foundation of cbb has shifted.
We’ll likely be facing multiple transfers after every season. Like a lot of others, the post-JB SU program will need to adjust, adapt, or die. JMHO
Well, I think he will adapt. Last year took him by surprise, but I suspect he'll realize from now on that some of his talented bench sitters are basically "on 1-yr contracts" now with the portal, so I suspect he's gonna 'manage' their egos a bit more attentively from now on. We shall see...

Fair enough.
Eh... I think there will be more movement with the new transfer rules (obviously) but I don't think that it's quite the sure thing that it's perpetual musical chairs the way some seem to believe.

Eh... I think there will be more movement with the new transfer rules (obviously) but I don't think that it's quite the sure thing that it's perpetual musical chairs the way some seem to believe.

Yeah to at least a reasonable degree CoVid escalated the situation further. Add that along with the shift from coaching staffs in reaction to it and it will still be significant but nothing like this past year...

Seriously. JB stubborn

I distinctly remember Jesse playing very well in a game and then being put on ice for like 3 straight games because “he wasn’t ready” or something like that. You are telling me it was all part of some JB master plan?

I distinctly remember Jesse playing very well in a game and then being put on ice for like 3 straight games because “he wasn’t ready” or something like that. You are telling me it was all part of some JB master plan?
Not exactly. I believe the game you’re referring to was Miami. The next game was against Va. Tech, and Edwards came in during the first half, with the score close. You can criticize JB for giving him a quick hook, but he still gave him an opportunity. Edwards was given another opportunity the following game against NC State, also in the first half. Another quick hook.

You know how it goes with JB and some players, especially bigs. If they’re not showing him enough (in his mind), he’ll pull them. It’s not like Edwards was buried on the bench, though.

Not exactly. I believe the game you’re referring to was Miami. The next game was against Va. Tech, and Edwards came in during the first half, with the score close. You can criticize JB for giving him a quick hook, but he still gave him an opportunity. Edwards was given another opportunity the following game against NC State, also in the first half. Another quick hook.

You know how it goes with JB and some players, especially bigs. If they’re not showing him enough (in his mind), he’ll pull them. It’s not like Edwards was buried on the bench, though.
Quick hook? I think Jesse had a matter of seconds on the floor, not even minutes before that hook.

The rationalizations of JBs mentality are AMAZING in these threads lately.

Quick hook? I think Jesse had a matter of seconds on the floor, not even minutes before that hook.

The rationalizations of JBs mentality are AMAZING in these threads lately.
I said go ahead and criticize him for the quick hooks. How is that rationalizing?

I said go ahead and criticize him for the quick hooks. How is that rationalizing?
Wasn’t just talking about you. But you are contradicting yourself when you say he wasn’t buried on the bench after getting yanked just moments after getting into the game. He got one shot in most of those instances, and then was immediately buried on the bench again

Hey, let's take the positive here. If Frank is good, that's a good thing.

-Everyone is big on Jesse. He only played over 20 mpg three times last year. One game he fouled out. One game he had 4 fouls
-So maybe Jesse is awesome but gets in foul trouble, or is better suited to play 20-25 mpg.
-Guys get hurt, especially centers. Depth is good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom